Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
did you know apartheid south africa was nuclear armed? i want there to again be a nuclear armed white supremacist state, and i think america is shaping up to be just that. it's so righteous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
arent they also the only nation to ever give up da nukes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

arent they also the only nation to ever give up da nukes

yea

canada too, if you want to be technical about it -- we had nuclear SAMs at a number of canadian bases in the 60s, but they were american in origin and were operated by US personnel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fututor Magnus posted:

did you know apartheid south africa was nuclear armed?

they had a strategic arms agreement with israel

Fututor Magnus posted:

i want there to again be a nuclear armed white supremacist state, and i think america is shaping up to be just that. it's so righteous.

i am definitely not going to mention israel in this sentence

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

yea

canada too, if you want to be technical about it -- we had nuclear SAMs at a number of canadian bases in the 60s, but they were american in origin and were operated by US personnel

by that measure many, many, many countries have given up nuclear arsenals, in that they are no longer stationed on their soil. turkey, cuba, every east-bloc nation, etc

south africa is special because they developed nuclear weapons as a domestic industry, and then gave it up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the nukes in Turkey, Cuba, etc were on US or Soviet bases in those countries, though, right? So technically not deployed on the host country's soil?

The ones in Canada were on Canadian bases under guard by Canadian soldiers -- only the operators were American.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

did you know apartheid south africa was nuclear armed? i want there to again be a nuclear armed white supremacist state, and i think america is shaping up to be just that. it's so righteous.

they also did their enrichment by aerodynamic separation, basically a centrifuge that didn't spin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:cool:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

The ones in Canada were on Canadian bases under guard by Canadian soldiers -- only the operators were American.

this was the case for pretty much all the countries that had american/soviet nukes. (the only notable exception is the u.k., which actually purchased nukes from the united states, so there were 0 americans involved at any stage after they were delivered.)

sorry bud, in a cold war context, canada is just another client state

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
south africa and ukraine are unique for having their own, independent nuclear capabilities that they gave up volutarily

south africa is special even above and beyond ukraine because they developed weapons themselves, domestically, with little or no outside assistance and gave up their program

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ukraine is probably regretting it now, though, with nato totally hanging them out to dry when russia invaded

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sorry bud, in a cold war context, canada is just another client state

the proper term is satellite state

Canadians will hate being called an American satellite state even though they totally are

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
we're a petrolstate

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

we're a petrolstate

it’s hosed up that Trudeau is called a cuck when Harper is literally one, being in a sham relationship with a gay wife. would be less crass if dude didn’t cause a lot of harm, poo poo if this were the states the news would not hesitate to put man on blast

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

OldAlias posted:

it’s hosed up that Trudeau is called a cuck when Harper is literally one, being in a sham relationship with a gay wife. would be less crass if dude didn’t cause a lot of harm, poo poo if this were the states the news would not hesitate to put man on blast

harper was so loving awful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

south africa and ukraine are unique for having their own, independent nuclear capabilities that they gave up volutarily

south africa is special even above and beyond ukraine because they developed weapons themselves, domestically, with little or no outside assistance and gave up their program

i mean honestly that's a good position now that i think of it. they proved that they can get nukes, rolled it back, and basically have a lot of the political advantage of being a 'nuclear nation' without the risk and ongoing maintenance costs of a bunch of nukes. sure theyre not short notice, but its still a factor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the proper term is satellite state

Canadians will hate being called an American satellite state even though they totally are

totally were

the cold war is over. canada is free to chart her own way in the world now

edit: oh i see what you mean. yeah canada is still an american satellite in the sense that they have deep economic and cultural ties that are not easily severed. but that is not the same as taking marching orders from london / washington.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 3, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean honestly that's a good position now that i think of it. they proved that they can get nukes, rolled it back, and basically have a lot of the political advantage of being a 'nuclear nation' without the risk and ongoing maintenance costs of a bunch of nukes. sure theyre not short notice, but its still a factor

the intervening 25 years have not been kind to international assessments of south african strategic capabilities

arguably, they have none of the advantages today, aside from a certain aura of virtue. of course, it is probably better to be avoiding the risk and cost even so!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

totally were

the cold war is over.

idk

theyre turning up OTH radar around the aleutians

we may need the DEW line yet

:smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if ivan thinks his bears'll get the drop on us, he's got another thing coming!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

idk

theyre turning up OTH radar around the aleutians

we may need the DEW line yet

:smith:

:smith: hardly gets it across.

with the uk's trident program run aground, there are only three remaining serious nuclear powers: the united states, france, and russia. one of these three has zero second-strike capability. russia has lost all strategic deterrent capability, because their submarine fleet is, to put it bluntly, moribund.

to overcome this difficulty, russia has doubled-down on first strike capability. their airborne and silo-based nuclear capabilities are second to none -- exceeding even the united states. they've invested billions and billions into types of weapons system we are phasing out entirely. none of these weapons can be used in response to a nuclear attack. russia strikes first, or not at all

i'm not sure the world has ever been this close to an extinction-level event. it's not that relations are particularly tense, it's that the consequences are greater than ever before.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 3, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is one of those hosed up times when we are both way off-topic, and weirdly tying into the theme in the worst way

what's more cyberpunk than talking about imminent doom in green on black internet forums

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Didn’t Israel provide more than a little help to South Africa’s program?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

if ivan thinks his bears'll get the drop on us, he's got another thing coming!

aaaaa but what about zhang & nukes

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

green on black

excuse me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure the world has ever been this close to an extinction-level event.

we have been much closer than this, if only for a few minutes. and this was not the only such incident

the cold war was loving crazy and I'm glad I only ever lived through the tail end of it and was too young to care

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 3, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

we have been much closer than this, if only for a few minutes. and this was not the only such incident

the cold war was loving crazy and I'm glad I only ever lived through the tail end of it and was too young to care

my dad spent some of the 70s underground with his finger on a big red button and has some stories about similar incidents from the us side

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cold war: hmm, probably a false alarm, better not cause a panic

2018: it said false alarm! *mashes sms warning*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

back then, the USSR had a functioning second strike capability.

if that happened today, they would be obliged to launch launch launch and we would all die

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

back then, the USSR had a functioning second strike capability.

if that happened today, they would be obliged to launch launch launch and we would all die

hell yea what buttons do i press

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Krankenstyle posted:

hell yea what buttons do i press

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

y=eah that has ruined me

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i took this picture coming out of the tokyo airport because chome has overcome my body and senses

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

i took this picture coming out of the tokyo airport because chome has overcome my body and senses

"chome" is "city district" in japanese addressing, so yeah if you go there it's going to be, quite literally, all over the place

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

"chome" is "city district" in japanese addressing, so yeah if you go there it's going to be, quite literally, all over the place

:chome:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/hashtagoras/status/960196073791860737

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Roosevelt posted:

should have recreated the video imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
shoot, forgot to update gang tag. the red would've worked nicely together

• Locked thread