Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Hell yeah idiots, the Supreme One, ruler of all of Nazarick, AINZ OOAL GOWN is back, and bonier than ever!

Overlord season 2 picks up where S1 left off, following the machinations of our favourite :black101: EXTREMELY EVIL :black101: Lich, Ainz Ooal Gown, aka the Supreme Leader of Nazarick, aka Momonga, aka Suzuki Satoru, a salaryman.

Suzuki decided to pay his favourite 'deep dive' MMORPG YGGDRASIL one last farewell before the servers shut down permanently, and lo and behold, he found himself trapped in this new world as his character, a Lich. With the resources of his guild as his disposal, he seeks to discover where he is and rule over it completely with a bony fist.

He moonlights as Momonga, an adventurer to gain favour with the small villages without raising undue attention, for who knows who else might be in this new world with him...

All our favourite NPCs are back:
Alfredo Albedo, Overseer of the Tomb of Nazarick and Guardian of floor 10,

Shalltear Bloodfallen, Guardian of floors 1-3,

Cocytus, insectoid Guardian of floor 5,

Aura and Mare, twin Guardians of floor 6,

Demiurge, Guardian of floor 7,

Pandora's Actor, Guardian of Nazarick's treasury,

Sebas Tian, Head butler and leader of the Pleiades,

and the Pleiades themselves

I'm really looking forward to this season, as it kicks off with the LIZARDMEN arc.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i didn't think he was that evil tbh

i hope one day we get to see the enormous malevolent lich doing mundane salaryman things and being very competent at them

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm hype for another season of a skeleton not facing any significant challenge and the horn girls big baps

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the penguin trying to hit on the vampire was pretty funny

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is it streaming anywhere?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

One of the kiss sites has it, I forget which one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so just fansubs for now, then.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm still trying to figure out why Overlord tickles my fancy.

It probably has something to do with the double inversion in it's premise providing a fresh take on the 'dude gets transported to a fantasy world' genre (inversion 1 being he's a freaking Final Boss complete with Final Dungeon transplant into this world, inversion 2 being that he's a rather benign evil for being a Lich.)

The Lizardman stuff is pretty neat too from a meta standpoint.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

the penguin trying to hit on the vampire was pretty funny

how can he do butler work with those flippers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Plutonis posted:

how can he do butler work with those flippers

he was made to be a base npc in a game where butler work didn't exist

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

where the red fern gropes posted:

i didn't think he was that evil tbh

i hope one day we get to see the enormous malevolent lich doing mundane salaryman things and being very competent at them

He jacks up the evil a bit in the later novels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the nazarick guardians are ridiculously evil and ainz just kinda goes along with their bullshit. it doesn't bother him at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the nazarick guardians are ridiculously evil and ainz just kinda goes along with their bullshit. it doesn't bother him at all.

Largely because becoming a Lich has killed his empathy and moral standards.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why the gently caress is the episode already here?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Why the gently caress is the episode already here?

I would assume it's because it aired.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah we'll find out the "parchments" that Demiurge is making right

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I enjoyed the premise but I got a bit disappointed that he didn't embark on a world-conquering rampage when he realized how weak the world was (When their 'incredible angels' were decimated by him as he saved that one village). There's too much 'good guys win because they're good' stuff out there so a show where the villain manages to dominate and come out on top is enjoyable once in a while.

I hope this season has whatever arcs let him ramp up the evil and spread terror in his name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

khy posted:

I enjoyed the premise but I got a bit disappointed that he didn't embark on a world-conquering rampage when he realized how weak the world was (When their 'incredible angels' were decimated by him as he saved that one village). There's too much 'good guys win because they're good' stuff out there so a show where the villain manages to dominate and come out on top is enjoyable once in a while.

I hope this season has whatever arcs let him ramp up the evil and spread terror in his name.

Given that something dominated Shalltear and caused her to become hostile, he is simply too cautious to try and conquer the world all at once.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If nothing else, season 3 is probably going to let you see Ainz go absolutely nuts.

This is gonna be pretty good too if they do it right. I feel like the manga didn't quite do it justice.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

khy posted:

Heh yeah I hope the skeleton murders everyone

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Especially if it's hug murder.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Hypocritical hug murder

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Currently working through S1 since this caught my eye. By the beginning of S1E5, is Albedo aware that Yggdrasil was an MMO and that there were players in the game? Since she mentions them by name in the cold open. How aware are the NPCs of the game's nature?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pollyanna posted:

Currently working through S1 since this caught my eye. By the beginning of S1E5, is Albedo aware that Yggdrasil was an MMO and that there were players in the game? Since she mentions them by name in the cold open. How aware are the NPCs of the game's nature?

They view the other players and guild members as their masters and creators. And while they are all grateful to Ainz for sticking by them until what they thought was the end, all of them minus the reprogrammed Albedo would follow and obey their original creator over Ainz without question if they had a choice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They mention stuff their masters talked about in their proximity while they played the game, but it appears as if it is mostly parroting what they hear and no self-awareness. They simply accept their creators word as the word of God.

They also assume Ainz is far more clever than they are because of the idea that your god as being less than omnipotent is heretical thought to their sanity and pride.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I marathon'd the first season. It was good

I wish I could be cool skellington Dad

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do they ever explain what that calming magic that gets cast on Ainz is?

EDIT: Oh my god the loving Nazi shy guy :pwn:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's undead, so he is unable to feel strong emotions. the reason that takes the form of a calming spell is unknown, though.

but on the bright side, he doesn't have the intrinsic hatred of life that normal undead do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pollyanna posted:

Do they ever explain what that calming magic that gets cast on Ainz is?

It's just his undead nature taking effect on him. Making sure he does not feel too much empathy, fear, sadness, and other emotions that undead should not feel. (Rage and Pride are fine.)

There was a little silly series of OVA's where Ainz accidentally used a magic item that canceled his undead emotion damping effect. Which features him trying to play it cool until the effect wears off, while silently and when in private freaking out like crazy about how terrifying, evil and disturbing many of his minions are.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

he's undead, so he is unable to feel strong emotions. the reason that takes the form of a calming spell is unknown, though.

but on the bright side, he doesn't have the intrinsic hatred of life that normal undead do.

He is a lich pretty much pure intellect, especially because he doesn't need to feed off people in anyway. Liches do what the gently caress they want.

I am considering buying the books to get more of this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

He is a lich pretty much pure intellect, especially because he doesn't need to feed off people in anyway. Liches do what the gently caress they want.

I am considering buying the books to get more of this.

you'll be disappointed. overlord disappoints everyone eventually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

you'll be disappointed. overlord disappoints everyone eventually.

Oh no. How bad does it get :/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking as somebody who started and gave up at around just after the Lizardmen or the arc after it (Sebas the slaver ring I think?) it didn't get actually bad so much as just kind of dull. Watching Nazerick clown on everything got dull and what felt to be like bigger questions either weren't touched on much or moved at the speed of molasses (the royalty getting to grips with their new insanely overpowered neighbours, the reforming princess and her long game, other game-players having existed and maybe still existing in other countries).

I didn't say "this sucks" at any one point but when one volume finished I just didn't grab the next.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was fairly into it until the latest one where there is a lot of gore as the royalty of another kingdom gets pummeled repeatedly into the ground by Demiurge and it's rather graphic about their legs popping their sockets but I thought it was pretty cool up to that point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pollyanna posted:

Oh no. How bad does it get :/

7edgy9me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds boring. Wish they'd actually resolve the mysteries of the whole thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah. it'd be nice if overlord ever dealt with any of the interesting stuff it brings up. that's not what it is about, though. it is about ainz and the guardians reenacting an episode of three's company while they make the rest of the world suffer in graphic detail.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, the author has said there is an end point planned, around volume 15 or 18, can't remember exactly.

Presumably some mysteries will be answered by then, some are certainly hinted at.

There are other trapped players there, but they've gone invariably insane.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder if that includes lord TOUCHME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All we know is that there is some Lord of the elves that is very much struggling with coming to terms that he's no longer in a game and doing some nasty stuff to his own people.