Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Ops looked cool. Did it ever get an English release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Just played through mgs 2 for the first time since I don't know 2002, I know in this thread at some stage there was a mad in depth analysis of the game. Can't find it has anyone got the link for it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are you thinking of this?

http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Just played through mgs 2 for the first time since I don't know 2002, I know in this thread at some stage there was a mad in depth analysis of the game. Can't find it has anyone got the link for it?

Party Boat posted:

I feel like I must have linked it here multiple times already, but you might enjoy this analysis of MGS2's themes and how they're reinforced through gameplay: http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/

Maybe this one? I had it bookmarked since I just got it recommended after finishing that as well.

e: slow on the draw, lol

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

That's the one, thanks.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm not sure why, but this photo reminds me of MGS:

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/1267966120662896642

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The war industry we started has taken a pretty crooked course these past few years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Protesters: "train with me, boss!"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Show up at the protest dressed as MGS5 Kaz and stand in front of the soldier-cop. "They played us like a drat fiddle!"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Look Sir Droids posted:

You must be tense! Let's do some stretches.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Party Boat posted:

You must be tense! Let's do some stretches.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Look Sir Droids posted:

(Codec chirp) Snake, you're coming up on the Lincoln Memorial. (channel change chirp) Snake, the Lincoln Memorial is one of America's greatest monuments. It is dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President, who saw America through the Civil War, and emancipated the slaves. It was carved by the Piccirilli brothers, and dedicated in May, 1922. It's a great place for a photo, Snake.

Colonel, it's surrounded by armed troops. They look to be pretty alert. Getting in there won't be easy.

Snake, remember, this is a sneaking mission. You're on American soil, so you're limited to non-lethal weapons. Remember, these men have been duped by the Trump-Tre-Tru-Tree-Tro. They're not evil, just misguided.

Colonel, I don't agree. If they're willing to wear the uniform and carry the weapons, they're making a statement of their own.

Maybe so, Snake, but even so, use non-lethal tactics. Get in there, examine the statue for the clue we need to find Metal Gear, and get out without being seen. Good luck, Snake.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

👋Next!
👋👋Next!
👋👋👋Next!
👋👋👋👋Next!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

👋Next!
👋👋Next!
👋👋👋Next!
👋👋👋👋Next!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I was loving around on MGS5 today. I'm trying to complete all the Motherbase platforms by getting the resources the old fashioned way without CheatEngine. Yes, I'm brain damaged.

Anyway, I was completing some of the mainline missions to get the maps to reset with resources and I got an URGENT MESSAGE from Kaz to come back to Motherbase. Like, wtf is there in this game I have not seen yet?

Today is my birthday. I had never played on my birthday before.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Today is my birthday. I had never played on my birthday before.

Happy birthday :toot:

Also suddenly remembering I completely forgot to do that on my own birthday a month or so back :confuoot:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The fake-out is so good. I knew that there was a birthday cutscene but completely forgot about it when it came up. I was beaming from ear to ear when I realised.

I believe it's also crazy intricate, with different details depending on where you are in the story and who you have on Mother Base? We also have the classic Not Happy Birthday song, presumably because the actual song is copyrighted?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The fake-out is so good. I knew that there was a birthday cutscene but completely forgot about it when it came up. I was beaming from ear to ear when I realised.

I believe it's also crazy intricate, with different details depending on where you are in the story and who you have on Mother Base? We also have the classic Not Happy Birthday song, presumably because the actual song is copyrighted?

It hit public domain in 2016 and 2017 but Konami may have wanted to play it safe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It was still protected back in '84, can't be too careful after losing that first mother base.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Midjack posted:

It hit public domain in 2016 and 2017 but Konami may have wanted to play it safe.

MGSV was released in 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

There you are then!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Their birthday song is better than the copywrited birthday song anyway.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

ISTR mine involving Quiet spelling out 'happy birthday boss' with bullet holes in a shipping container, then lighting my cigar with another bullet. But it was a while ago, details are hazy.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TheCenturion posted:

ISTR mine involving Quiet spelling out 'happy birthday boss' with bullet holes in a shipping container, then lighting my cigar with another bullet. But it was a while ago, details are hazy.

This is absolutely something that happens. :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If it's your birthday you should also boot up Death Stranding btw

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm waiting for the PC version of Death Stranding.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

acksplode posted:

I can't believe it's been 5 years already :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m afraid it’s been... 5 years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Been dipping back into Ground Zeroes a couple times, and I'm liking it a lot better than my initial impression. I guess I haven't really played it since I went and got good semi-competent at the main game. My memory is of eventually getting frustrated and only completing the main mission after a bunch of tries, but now I waltzed through the main one in 15 minutes and have been having fun actually doing the side ops pretty well. I still like the openness of the main game and the option to have a billion fun toys to play with, but it's nice to have this as a more stripped-down, focused set of missions. And it's nice to see a different environment after playing Afghanistan & Africa to death.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Ground Zeroes not being open world means it's so much more focused. The map is more or less brilliantly designed, very reminiscent of MGS3 or Deus Ex where it's encouraging you to take certain approaches and making you feel like a genius for "figuring out" what was in fact an explicitly intended path. Not having to be open world also means that the game can be more aggressive about how it packs detail in or constrains you in interesting ways.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly I like both approaches. There's so much I like in TPP that's tied to it being so much more open, I wouldn't want to lose that. Maybe they could have added more missions where you're focused on a more tightly-designed area and gotten the best of both worlds.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I remember playing GZ and that first mission took me like 45 minutes the first time. I’m pretty sure I got it down to like 8 minutes after several attempts of figuring it out and getting comfortable with it.

It just felt more curated than anything in TPP.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I like both approaches. There's so much I like in TPP that's tied to it being so much more open, I wouldn't want to lose that. Maybe they could have added more missions where you're focused on a more tightly-designed area and gotten the best of both worlds.

I love The Phantom Pain because there is just so much going on at one time that you won't know about the first time playing the missions. The first time you play a mission, you basically just do the main objective. But then you replay it and find out about all the other stuff you missed.

A good example is that there are actually prisoners that you are supposed to rescue on Back Up and Back Down that I didn't even know existed the first time I played it. Then there is the mission with the human trafficker where he is traveling across the map, and if you are quick enough, you can intercept him before he reaches the Kiziba Camp and digs in. Lingua Franca is another one that will most likely completely change the 2nd time you play through it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
While I do agree that the enclosed nature of Ground Zeroes adds a special kind of tension to it, there are several great missions in Phantom Pain that involve sneaking into a heavily guarded base for intel on an objective, then having to travel far across the map to a bigger, more heavily guarded base for the objective. Where Do the Bees Sleep, Angel with Broken Wings, Hellbound, etc. They basically give you the equivalent of every cool infiltration cutscene from the previous games where you sneak to an insertion point, only now it's playable and there are multiple options.

blackguy32 posted:

I love The Phantom Pain because there is just so much going on at one time that you won't know about the first time playing the missions. The first time you play a mission, you basically just do the main objective. But then you replay it and find out about all the other stuff you missed.

A good example is that there are actually prisoners that you are supposed to rescue on Back Up and Back Down that I didn't even know existed the first time I played it. Then there is the mission with the human trafficker where he is traveling across the map, and if you are quick enough, you can intercept him before he reaches the Kiziba Camp and digs in. Lingua Franca is another one that will most likely completely change the 2nd time you play through it.

This is one of my favorite aspects of storytelling in MGSV. It's very much like the new Hitman games where the levels are designed to be played at least two or three times, and each time you get tons of new context. You can't even unlock the optional objectives until your second playthrough of a mission iirc. While earlier MGS games have pretty straightforward presentation even if there are lots of twists and double crosses, most of that stuff is left for the player to find and piece together in MGSV. That Futurasound Productions guy had a great video on this recently. While the earlier games have espionage plots with double agents, disinformation, and plot twists it's all presented pretty straightforwardly and cinematically. In MGSV you're constantly groping in the dark against this vast global intelligence network that has a 9-year headstart on you. How much you're able to piece together depends on how many cassettes you find, whether or not you eavesdrop on people, and whether you kill your targets or bring them back to Mother Base.

A Hero's Way is a good example. Your target is a Soviet commander who is reported to have been responsible for brutal crackdowns on Afghan villages, and you get the contract from a Western (presumably American) client. You can kill the commander with a sniper rifle from a distance and boom, mission complete. But if you sneak into the base you can eavesdrop on him addressing his troops in the square, and he threatens harsh punishment for any of his men who mistreats the local villagers. Even if you miss this part, you can interrogate him during CQC and he adamantly denies having anything to do with the war crimes. So now there's more to this guy than you've been led to believe. This is an early mission so Mother Base doesn't have its own intel unit. You're relying on the intel of a Western client thousands of miles away so naturally the situation on the ground is very different. It feels very accurate to what espionage work would actually be like, rather than just presenting the player with a slick story about espionage.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 7, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That Futurasound Productions guy had a great video on this recently. While the earlier games have espionage plots with double agents, disinformation, and plot twists it's all presented pretty straightforwardly and cinematically. In MGSV you're constantly groping in the dark against this vast global intelligence network that has a 9-year headstart on you. How much you're able to piece together depends on how many cassettes you find, whether or not you eavesdrop on people, and whether you kill your targets or bring them back to Mother Base.

His videos started popping up for me so I've been watching some of them too, the MGSV discussion is interesting in retrospect after playing through some of the older games too. I like that presentation a ton in a meta sense, although it's sometimes aggravating in the game itself, it took that second playthrough to appreciate that presentation a lot more.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

A Hero's Way

Haha this is probably my favorite mission complete, the last time I went back and played it I just ran straight to the point where you can first see into that base, pulled up my sniper scope and happened to be exactly centered on the commander. Certainly my longest snipe and completed the entire mission in a matter of seconds, I was so far outside the base I didn't even have to get out of the hotzone.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't think any missions in TPP hit the quality of GZ, but the first ten set in Afghanistan are almost all really well-designed with multiple approaches and alternate objectives and interesting ways to travel through them. The honeybee is the standout but I also really loved the one where you rescue Malak, just because of how satisfying it is to methodically clear out the base and rescue everyone inside.

Africa never really hits the same highs. I was hopeful with the oil rig and airport both being kinda dense in the same way Camp Omega is from GZ, but they're never really fully utilized, which is probably a result of them running out of time.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Man this is getting me psyched to reinstall it! After I finish my 10th playthrough of Deus Ex I'm gonna dive in deep with mods. My graphics card in my PC bit the dust a few days ago so I'm waiting on a new one.

In the mean time I was playing Snake Tales from MGS2. The music for the text story screens is really cool, it gives the stories more of an intense atmosphere then they would have had otherwise I think. Plus they were all written by Tomokazu Fukushima, Kojima's right-hand man for MGS1-3.

https://youtu.be/A5naSmCLoz4

https://youtu.be/CbYQQ2BG20E

Dead Man Whispers and A Wrongdoing are my favorites of the lot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been replaying MGS and really loving the aesthetics of the game. The way it fakes motion blur and depth of field on PSOne technology is loving rad and super imaginative.

I really think the best way to play it is completely un-upscaled and de-smoothed, the character models and environments are designed for a 320x240 resolution and they look great in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
my eyes