Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Larryb posted:

They apparently did the same thing for Survive, not sure why this is suddenly happening now though.

I’m guessing some country is either cracking down on MTX or they’re worried they might be and they’re trying to get your jurisdiction to block purchase in those areas

Or it could be for locking in region specific pricing, like keeping you from saying you’re in Russia to buy cheaper coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The pvp in MGS5 is dumb.

I was raiding a guy's base. He shows up to defend it and I shoot a bunch of guards and toss the FOM decoy in one small area then hide behind a wall to watch him go check out that area. I knock him out with a sleeping gas grenade while he has his back turned and run over to fulton him but he wakes up and I mash buttons to try and do anything while he's in the getting up animation but fail and he gets up, CQC flips me and instantly fultons me.

I sit in the helicopter to wait for him to retaliate and he does, I go to defense and what happens is he manages to headshot me with a tranq sniper rifle, runs up to fulton me, but I wake up while he's right next to me and CQC flip him and fulton him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Was this on PC? It’s possible he was hacking.

There’s very little reason to invade anyone’s FOB, unless you enjoy the samey gameplay of it and the occasional tension of someone defends. It’s a good source of S++ soldiers but you have to sink a ton of time in to it if you can’t find a honeypot FOB to farm.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doesn't sound like hacking if they both did the exact same thing when getting up, just disappointing mechanics.

https://twitter.com/shiburingaru321/status/1351219430911594498

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Was this on PC? It’s possible he was hacking.

There’s very little reason to invade anyone’s FOB, unless you enjoy the samey gameplay of it and the occasional tension of someone defends. It’s a good source of S++ soldiers but you have to sink a ton of time in to it if you can’t find a honeypot FOB to farm.

It was on PC. It's possible he was hacking but yeah, I think it was just the game's implementation of pvp interactions being bad. Both players act like snake until the game suddenly decides at random which one will become a hapless metal gear guard and instantly get knocked out

I know the FOB invasions are pretty pointless and the upgrades require an absolutely absurd amount of grinding and exploitative paid currency but it's been a guilty pleasure because it's just endless metal gear.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 10, 2021

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, I understand. I do the same with single player missions instead because failure isnt as harsh and is much less likely.

I hit AAA+ in PF level a while back and I think I’m finally decked out enough to stay there. I stopped developing any new gear a long time ago.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mol... CAR?!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
its a new short form stop motion animation cartoon

its really cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9sguMtmOeU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At least do this one, with the carrot spinning like an MGS item: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQKjCqvCBo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Probably not necessary and spoilers galore but this is a pretty decent video if anyone needed help understanding what went on in MGS5 and isn’t in the PS4 thread: https://youtu.be/255ArxW2U3g

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Midjack posted:

Probably not necessary and spoilers galore but this is a pretty decent video if anyone needed help understanding what went on in MGS5 and isn’t in the PS4 thread: https://youtu.be/255ArxW2U3g

i haven't watched this yet but i thought 5 had a very simple and straightforward plot especially compared to 2, which i didn't understand until it became reality ~10 years later

actually i was a little confused about what the vocal cord parasites were or when they were introduced but that was only because i was playing the game drunk when i was doing the mission where you extract code talker and i missed everything he said in the cutscene in the basement lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

i haven't watched this yet but i thought 5 had a very simple and straightforward plot especially compared to 2, which i didn't understand until it became reality ~10 years later

actually i was a little confused about what the vocal cord parasites were or when they were introduced but that was only because i was playing the game drunk when i was doing the mission where you extract code talker and i missed everything he said in the cutscene in the basement lol

Yeah I imagine they kind of copulate come out of nowhere if you skipped that cutscene.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Just finished watching the new series of Adam Curtis films and there was a segment on Abu Zubaydah, which led me to wonder how much of the whole MGS5 shrapnel subplot was inspired by Kojima's research into Guantanamo, where he inevitably would have learned of Zubaydah.

He's certainly got a familiar look to him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Zubaydah?wprov=sfla1

quote:

In 1992, Zubaydah was injured in a mortar shell blast, which left shrapnel in his head and caused severe memory loss, as well as the loss of the ability to speak for over one year.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bought MGSV Definitive Edition during the lunar sale. Mouse doesn't work in menus and the keybinds are rather awkward. I imagine I'm gonna want to play with a controller.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, there are some that have made kbm work, but the controls are so good on a controller.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holding buttons versus toggles always seems to be a sticking point when porting to PC and trying to account for keyboards.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I found traversing menus with keys weird at first but it ended up getting easy, in the same way that navigating Dwarf Fortress eventually gets easy. It was worth it to have mouse-based gunplay instead of joystick-based gunplay.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Unfortunately without joysticks you won’t be able to sneak up close to a dude without them hearing you without wearing the sneaking suit.

Now, it’s not impossible to play that way, you can certainly crouch walk up to them full speed and then deck them or what lever when they start to notice you, but it is going to be harder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there at least an option to turn down mouse camera sensitivity? I didn't see one but I wasn't looking too hard.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unfortunately without joysticks you won’t be able to sneak up close to a dude without them hearing you without wearing the sneaking suit.

Now, it’s not impossible to play that way, you can certainly crouch walk up to them full speed and then deck them or what lever when they start to notice you, but it is going to be harder.

you can definitely slow to a walk with alt or caps lock or whatever. not as elegant, but no worse than using shift to sprint.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the slow walk with alt makes you move even slower than you need to to sneak up undetected with the joystick. even playing with the joystick though i ended up sneaking up on guards at max crouch walk speed. they hear the footsteps, turn around and see you when you get within a few feet but you have enough time between the ! appearing and the alert actually going off that you can keep crouch walking towards them and grab them before any other soldier reacts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No one has copied Splinter Cell’s PC version of having the speed of the character controlled by the mouse wheel and I don’t know why.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kibayasu posted:

No one has copied Splinter Cell’s PC version of having the speed of the character controlled by the mouse wheel and I don’t know why.

........ that's brilliant.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kibayasu posted:

It's a curious omission since sim games like various mech and airplane games have supported this kind of thing for decades

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
playing MGS2 for the first time is mind blowing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hell yeah. One of those games I wish I could experience for the first time again, trailers, demo and all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

........ that's brilliant.

It really is. It’s been a while but it felt very natural last time I used it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

I’m pretty sure Hayter publicly said he was having trouble doing Snake as early as MGS4.

He did do a commercial with MGS1 snake voice after that though.

Party Boat posted:

Hell yeah. One of those games I wish I could experience for the first time again, trailers, demo and all.

I already knew all the Raiden stuff because, well, yeah so I can't get in that mindset but all the political commentary and stuff is insane with how true it is.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

Escape From Tarkov actually does it.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there at least an option to turn down mouse camera sensitivity? I didn't see one but I wasn't looking too hard.

Sounds like you _were_ looking too hard if you want to lower your mouse camera sensitivity!!!!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kibayasu posted:

Because it's wholly unnecessary. You only need 2-3 or at absolute most 4 speeds for various enemy hearing ranges, a more granular system just makes things feel more random. In both Splinter Cell and Tarkov there are only like 3-4 speeds that matter as far as enemy hearing goes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Midjack posted:

I’m pretty sure Hayter publicly said he was having trouble doing Snake as early as MGS4.

I think that quote was that playing MGS4 Snake was hard on his voice, but it obviously didn't blow it out permanently or anything as he does the MGS1 Snake voice all the time in interviews, Cameos etc

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's a difference between doing a voice here and there and doing 100+ hours of that voice in recording sessions over a month. It's probably somewhat true that it bothers him and also exaggerated because there's nothing actors of any sort love more than making it sound like they worked sooooo hard.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
why would you ever slow-walk up to a guard when you can sprint full-bore and million-dollar-man haymaker them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Namnesor posted:

why would you ever slow-walk up to a guard when you can sprint full-bore and million-dollar-man haymaker them

:hmmyes:

I'm like Crank except instead of adrenaline it's the 6 million dollar man sound effect that sustains me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RIP Metal Gear board game.

IDW posted:

To the Metal Gear Community,

When we talked back in August, our team shared our timeline for bringing you the best Metal Gear game possible. Since then, we have been working hard behind the scenes to chart a course through the complexities of the global COVID-19 environment. Due to many obstacles with manufacturing timelines, pricing surges, and shipping ports shutting down, it has made the landscape for producing tabletop games—especially of this scope—extremely challenging.

We have made the difficult decision to cancel Metal Gear Solid: The Board Game. As current supporters of this campaign on Backerkit, your cards have not and will not be charged. If you originally pre-ordered the game on Amazon, you will have received notice of that cancellation in late November 2019.

We want to especially thank Emerson Matsuuchi for all of his passion, creativity, and continual innovations in designing this game. We’d also like to thank the team at Konami for being a receptive and supportive partner throughout the development process. Our decision to cancel this game reflects entirely upon outside circumstances and not the hard work, motivation, and willingness of our partners.

We greatly appreciate your support and patience throughout this project. Since the beginning, we have been excited to bring a new Metal Gear Solid experience to life through tabletop games. This is an iconic and celebrated IP for fans and we both appreciated and shared your enthusiasm for the possibilities this game would have brought.

If you have any questions regarding your pre-order, please reach out to us at Support@IDWGames.com and our team there will be able to help.

See you on a future battlefield,
IDW Games

I'd love to see them dump the ruleset they already have, but I'm sure that won't happen.

EDIT: In the BoardGameGeek thread the designer comes in and says that IDW won't make it, but he and Konami intend to publish it. Apparently IDW shut down their board game division a while back.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 18, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Midjack posted:

RIP Metal Gear board game.

I'd love to see them dump the ruleset they already have, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Aw boo, I randomly jumped in on that and was hoping to have something neat to look at even if I never got around to playing it :smith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Aw boo, I randomly jumped in on that and was hoping to have something neat to look at even if I never got around to playing it :smith:

the phantom pain.... kojima is a genius

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/16/22285559/metal-gear-solid-board-game-idw-konami-canceled

In the BoardGameGeek thread the designer comes in and says that IDW won't make it, but he and Konami intend to publish it. Apparently IDW shut down their board game division a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At least Snakes and Ladders is available if you ever want an MGS3 board game.