Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love Huey so much. By which I mean I absolutely hate him, he's such a despicable character but so well written and acted.

I'm glad the only voice actor from the original MGS in V got to do such a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm glad the only voice actor from the original MGS in V got to do such a good job.

I was gonna praise the voice actor for Major Zero from Snake Eater, but I only just now learned that it's another replacement. Another lovely casting development, but the tapes with him are so good I hardly know how to feel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was gonna praise the voice actor for Major Zero from Snake Eater, but I only just now learned that it's another replacement. Another lovely casting development, but the tapes with him are so good I hardly know how to feel.

It sucked it’s not the same guy (I think the original dude turned it down since the pay was too low) but the new one did a great job. Way too good of a job to only be in tape form.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Feels like a metaphor for the game as a whole

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

God, I hated a lot of the voice acting in MGS3, in particular Major Zero and The Boss. Maybe I was just too much of a dumb child or something, because I haven't played it in a good 13 years, but in my memory they were flat and boring and sounding like they were only there for a day's pay. I'll take the new Zero any day.

That having been said if The Boss' performance was impenetrable it'd make sense since she was supposed to inspire like three crucially incorrect interpretations of her will.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

3 has the best voice acted catchphrase in the series besides "Metal Gear?!?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_blUzsgnXc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

God the final story tapes in MGSV are so good, I like listening to stuff but it's criminal that that's what the backstory is relegated to.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gormless goblin posted:

God, I hated a lot of the voice acting in MGS3, in particular Major Zero and The Boss. Maybe I was just too much of a dumb child or something, because I haven't played it in a good 13 years, but in my memory they were flat and boring and sounding like they were only there for a day's pay. I'll take the new Zero any day.

That having been said if The Boss' performance was impenetrable it'd make sense since she was supposed to inspire like three crucially incorrect interpretations of her will.

drat, I thought Lori Alan as the boss was amazing. Still do. There's a certain haunting quality to her tone, I think.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Lib and let die posted:

drat, I thought Lori Alan as the boss was amazing. Still do. There's a certain haunting quality to her tone, I think.
She had quite a few scenes in that game and my memory is that she gave the same exact performance to each of them. I could give the same criticism to some of the other performances in the series, too.

But I will definitely give you that her tone is unique and I think "haunting" is fair too, The Boss must have felt that it was a critical mission and cared about it despite what it meant for her as a person.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I used to work with a guy who got a massive tattoo of the Shinkawa art of the Boss across his torso. He was very upset when I told him that the Boss was played by the same voice actor as the newsreader from Family Guy doing almost the exact same voice

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mostly know her as Pearl, Mr. Krabs's daughter who is a whale, from Spongebob

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

oh god yeah i think she might be a bit more dynamic in SpongeBob SquarePants than she was as the boss lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Liquid: "It was his genes, Snake! He was number one!"

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

VENOM: "No, this is Big Boss."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Lori Alan absolutely sounds like she's narrating a documentary the entire time she's playing the Boss, but I think it really does add to a certain "idea more than a person" thing. A lot like Michael O'Hare on Babylon 5, really, which fits since they're both badly damaged vets who essentially gave up their entire lives for their cause in ways they were forbidden to understand, and both end up transcending their humanity. (Spoilered for B5.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lib and let die posted:

She's good but she was very distracting to me at first since she did the same voice on Family Guy.

I love the voice acting in this series overall since it's just so weird and earnest. I'm still slightly miffed at Hayter being replaced in V.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 18, 2021

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

In my previous posts I was trying to work in this thing about how I totally accept that Kiefer Sutherland is the voice of Big Boss in Ground Zeroes because it's part of Venom's implanted memory but I still somehow wish we got a tape of David Hayter talking to Ocelot at the end of Phantom Pain.

e:

gormless goblin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 18, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

🎶Who lives in a sneaking suit under the sea🎶

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I watched a youtube series a while back that convinced me that the convoluted/contradictory nature of the writing was actually intentionally thought out to show the sheer level of how much Snake is constantly being played. I think the presentation is harmed by how random and sporadic the plot is given to you, but it seems a lot better and well thought out than I thought on my first playthrough.

Going back but it's not just that Snake is being played by Zero, Ocelot, and Big Boss but he's also suffering from some sort of brainwashing and/or identity disorder as well as a severe traumatic brain injury. It would be very interesting to have a video game version of an unreliable narrator but the only complete story arc that really uses this is the Paz hallucination. Its conclusion opens up the possibility that some of the rest of what you see Miller and/or Ocelot say and do didn't actually happen but there's no other parts besides the Paz scene where that makes sense

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 18, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm still slightly miffed at Hayter being replaced in V.

nobody likes it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

🎶Who lives in a sneaking suit under the sea🎶

Jack the Ripper!

A bloodthirsty cyborg and angry is he

Jack the Ripper!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Going back but it's not just that Snake is being played by Zero, Ocelot, and Big Boss but he's also suffering from some sort of brainwashing and/or identity disorder as well as a severe traumatic brain injury. It would be very interesting to have a video game version of an unreliable narrator but the only complete story arc that really uses this is the Paz hallucination.

I think all this is what makes the game interesting, but it's often not really pulled off though. Like, the film damage health indicator is a really cool idea that never pays off to anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gormless goblin posted:

In my previous posts I was trying to work in this thing about how I totally accept that Kiefer Sutherland is the voice of Big Boss in Ground Zeroes because it's part of Venom's implanted memory but I still somehow wish we got a tape of David Hayter talking to Ocelot at the end of Phantom Pain.

e:

A cutscene of Hayter's Solid confronting Sutherland's Venom was too good for this world.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

If we get a remake of Metal Gear, is that one boss gonna be called Shotmaker, Shootgunner, or Shotgunner? Because all of them are equally terrible and precious to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gormless goblin posted:

If we get a remake of Metal Gear, is that one boss gonna be called Shotmaker, Shootgunner, or Shotgunner? Because all of them are equally terrible and precious to me.

Shotputter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*big orchestral sting*

Midjack posted:

Shotputter

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

All of the severity and foreboding when Liquid says "call this place .. Outer Heaven" - smash cut to original Outer Heaven clown squad including "Shotputter" and "Dirty Duck"

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Are you starting with Metal Gear or Metal Gear Solid?

Only plan to do MGS 1-5

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

If that collection you have does have Peace Walker I wouldn't skip it, but I also wouldn't go out of my way for it in your circumstance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, definitely don’t skip Peace Walker. It was originally supposed to be MGS5 and V is deeply connected to it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gormless goblin posted:

Shot Shooter

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Shot Shooterman

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Stab Slicer

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

After reaching MGS5 at last, im having a good time with it, however Red dead 2 has definitely spoiled me on how good controlling a horse can feel.

Metal Gear 1 and 2(not solid) have definitely been my favorite to play so far

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

dr.acula posted:

After reaching MGS5 at last, im having a good time with it, however Red dead 2 has definitely spoiled me on how good controlling a horse can feel.

Metal Gear 1 and 2(not solid) have definitely been my favorite to play so far

MGSV is not MGS5. Important distinction.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is Hot Coldman slander, he is the only one important enough to get to be X Yman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can make the argument that Metal Gear Solid 5 is actually three games: Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. It doesn't change how stripped down the sorry gets in the latter part of TPP but all three games absolutely play into one another far more than any of the other games in the series.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

screaden posted:

Only plan to do MGS 1-5

Doing Metal Gear 1 & 2 on easy with a walkthrough or map to fall back on doesn't take that long...

But I guess you need to have a tolerance for 8 bit graphics and design.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, don't skip over MG2 unless you truly can't get on board with 8-bit era design. It's a really good game. It's especially interesting to see the setpieces and plot beats that Kojima reused for MGS, as it never got an English release until 2005 so most weren't familiar with it.

MG1 is less essential but both are worth a playthrough, just have a guide handy because there's some obtuse bullshit in both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spalec posted:

Yeah, don't skip over MG2 unless you truly can't get on board with 8-bit era design. It's a really good game. It's especially interesting to see the setpieces and plot beats that Kojima reused for MGS, as it never got an English release until 2005 so most weren't familiar with it.

MG1 is less essential but both are worth a playthrough, just have a guide handy because there's some obtuse bullshit in both of them.

Same. MGS is one of my all time favorite games since it's release and I was amazed at how it seemed to be a MG2 remake after I played that one earlier this year.