Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Terminally Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqMIqJDjarg

It looks ok. Obviously they reused most of the assets but it seems to be way better than Umbrella Corps or stuff like that.

It doesn't look bad. I just don't see what makes it worthwhile over all the other survival crafting games that I'm also not interested in.

Maybe the Fox Engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
7 days to die was really fun with a few friends. Hopefully this is at least somewhat in the same ball park. I would kill for a pubg style battle Royale on the middle east or Africa maps tho

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ShineDog posted:

He's not a mediocre writer. He's a bad writer. He's a really bad storyteller and his poo poo is all over the place thematically and logically and the dialogue is always always loving terrible.

And that's fine.

Because the ideas are brilliant. Or they are loving stupid to the point you can't look away. He's thought of everything! Metal gears make no loving sense! A man breakdance fights robots! Snake forgot what a silencer does! Bee man! Slipping in poo poo! Rollerblading mad bomber! An hour long cutscene! Rocket peace! Raow! Butts! The ghost river! A two hour long cutscene after I finished the game that reframes the entire franchise meta plot!

It's great and it's dumb and bad in equal measure but it's always interesting and always trying new stuff and is happy to be weird as gently caress and yeah it does seem like people do in fact hate fun?

pretty much. the dude desperatly needs a guiding hand with alot of stuff which is why i am mixed on if Mpreg the game i mean death stranding will work or not. my issue is we havent seen loving jack poo poo except for a ton of "deep" trailers. its kinda like yoko taro i guess, but taro got lucky and got platenum games and they saved each other.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Brutakas posted:

It doesn't look bad. I just don't see what makes it worthwhile over all the other survival crafting games that I'm also not interested in.

Maybe the Fox Engine?

I think it looks like poo poo, personally. I didn't see a single redeeming thing in that video. Even the zombie death visuals look clunky and wooden, and generally unsatisfying. A great sign from a game about killing zombies.
The game looks like it's made from 95% leftover assets created for MGS5 repackaged into a zombie survival game, plus like a half dozen zombie character models.

Oh and with all the stuff there is to build and collect, what do you think the over/under is on the entire game being built and balanced around pay-to-win microtransactions?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 9, 2018

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

wow. that's a lot of pills, man

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Momomo posted:

The stealth parts of Survive look like it could be alright, but I'm really not feeling the zombie aspects. I do not go to Metal Gear to fortify a base and fight waves of enemies.

I was excited for the first bit of that video - more MGSV! Just what I always wanted! But then it quickly turned into "harvest 10 wood to build a wall to delay zombies" and urghhh.

Just give me MGSV's gameplay in a bunch of new maps and terrains/environments, that's all anyone really wants anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm way into survival games and way into Metal Gear, so Survive looks awesome to me :buddy:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Survive doesn't really look bad. It's obviously not a Kojima game but I don't think he's god's gift to game development so that doesn't really faze me. Hell, I'm more interested in it than Death Stranding right now just cause I actually know what this game is.

That being said I can clearly see the potential for microtransactions present and if the game leans real heavily onto those I'll gently caress off right quick.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Gamespot preview:
"With just a month to go before its release, Konami has confirmed some major details about Metal Gear Survive, the first new entry in the series since series creator Hideo Kojima left the company. One of the biggest new pieces of information we learned during a recent preview session was that the game will require a constant internet connection to play, even for single-player. This is not totally unheard of in gaming, as Destiny 2 and other online-focused games require a persistent internet connection across all modes.

Konami said Metal Gear Survive requires a constant internet connection so the game can offer a "seamless" experience as players move between single-player and multiplayer. "Metal Gear Survive's online connectivity requirements were built to support a seamless integration between single player and co-op. This will also enable us to provide ongoing content post-launch."

Another detail we learned that Metal Gear Survive will have a microtransaction store where players can purchase virtual currency. Coins are available to purchase with real money (specific price points were not disclosed) or through standard gameplay, as is the case in many other AAA games. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain also offered a number of microtransactions, so this is nothing new for the series. You can check out the image above to see what's available to buy in Metal Gear Survive's store, including Boost Passes for various durations of time, but bear in mind that the game is not finished and as such, things could change.

In terms of length, Konami brand manager Jennifer Tsang told GameSpot that you can expect the game to take you 15-20 hours to play through the campaign. Of course, your mileage may vary, as everyone plays games differently. Also, the game has co-op and multiplayer so there are more reasons to come back and play more beyond the campaign."

Also there's a free beta for the Bone and PS4 January 18-22.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3t-WIzskU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyni2CWS-Y

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Terminally Bored posted:

Another detail we learned that Metal Gear Survive will have a microtransaction store where players can purchase virtual currency. Coins are available to purchase with real money (specific price points were not disclosed) or through standard gameplay, as is the case in many other AAA games. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain also offered a number of microtransactions, so this is nothing new for the series. You can check out the image above to see what's available to buy in Metal Gear Survive's store, including Boost Passes for various durations of time, but bear in mind that the game is not finished and as such, things could change.

:cripes: I'm still cautiously optimistic considering I never once felt the urge to buy MB coins and still got all four FOBs, but just ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Hmmmm there it is

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Remember all those people who said this games going to be like TPP but better because Kojima is gone?

Look what kind of monster they've created

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you could buy all types of nonsense in MGSV that you didn't need, too

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

But TPP wasnt always on forced internet conn ection (although Konami tried really hard)

They are probably going to pull the plug after few years

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 17, 2018

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
"Konami said Metal Gear Survive requires a constant internet connection so the game can offer a "seamless" experience as players move between single-player and multiplayer. "Metal Gear Survive's online connectivity requirements were built to support a seamless integration between single player and co-op. This will also enable us to provide ongoing content post-launch.""

This is extremely gross btw, useless microtransactions aside

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right Metal Gear thread, this has been bothering me since I woke up this morning. I'm pretty sure I'm either seeing a nonexistent theme or I forgot something from V, but I'm not certain so I'm checking.

1-4 each had a "son"-themed element, right? Sons of Big Boss / Sons of Liberty / Sons of The Boss / Sons of The Patriots.
(admittedly the Cobra Unit is kind of a stretch but there's also the literal son of the literal lady The Boss)
And then there just wasn't one in 5?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All right Metal Gear thread, this has been bothering me since I woke up this morning. I'm pretty sure I'm either seeing a nonexistent theme or I forgot something from V, but I'm not certain so I'm checking.

1-4 each had a "son"-themed element, right? Sons of Big Boss / Sons of Liberty / Sons of The Boss / Sons of The Patriots.
(admittedly the Cobra Unit is kind of a stretch but there's also the literal son of the literal lady The Boss)

Well the theme song of the game is Sins of the Father and that ties into the game as we see how BB, Huey, Ocelot, Miller and Skullface are responsible for a lot of poo poo that happens later in the series

I think the reversal is intentional

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 17, 2018

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Maybe the child soldiers? At the very least Eli. It's kind of his deal.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The relationship between Big Boss and Liquid was originally gonna be much, much, MUCH MUCH MUCH more central to the game's plot until the powers that be decided that shipping 2/3rds of a game was A-OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaUGVfqGDc

So yea, there's your father/son dynamic on the cutting room floor :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WaltherFeng posted:

Well the theme song of the game is Sins of the Father and that ties into the game as we see how BB, Huey, Ocelot, Miller and Skullface are responsible for a lot of poo poo that happens later in the series

I think the reversal is intentional
I would actually believe that it was father-centric instead. (Who's Skull Face? History sure hasn't heard of that guy. Or whatever it is he says right before he dies about how nobody will ever have heard of him.)
but "they didn't ship the final part" makes way more sense, so. What the hell, Konami. How'd they justify that? Then again, FFXV did a vaguely similar thing and updated post-ship.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Well, they basically said they're going out of the AAA gaming business and focusing more on mobile gaming and their gyms.

Konami was complete poo poo for years before that. Two bad Castlevania games, a horrible Silent Hill HD edition... They even hosed up Contra and turned it into a mobile game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I just wanted my shirtless fistfight finale with Volgin. Instead, "Whoops, he's just kind of laying on a tarp and sick of this poo poo.... Uh, it's foreshadowing. yeah that's it."

I also wanted to develop bond with Liquid by taking him out as a buddy and doing specifically rear end in a top hat things, like planting C4 on guards or running them over with a jeep.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would actually believe that it was father-centric instead. (Who's Skull Face? History sure hasn't heard of that guy. Or whatever it is he says right before he dies about how nobody will ever have heard of him.)
but "they didn't ship the final part" makes way more sense, so. What the hell, Konami. How'd they justify that?

Phantom Pain had one of the most hosed up dev cycles in the history of gaming and where it gets really weird is that if anybody knows the whole story they've kept it to themselves for a handful of years now.

Either kojima hosed somebody's wife, or the executives would smoke entire grams of meth in the bathroom and stomp out ballistically pissed off that the yield curve on a AAA game is different from a mobile gacha trap.

quote:

In a country where mobile gaming has exploded in popularity, the fact Konami has pivoted to this type of offering isn’t in itself surprising. What is, however, are some of the office conditions Nikkei reports have arisen as a result of the shift, especially with regards to how Konami treats employees.

Here’s a breakdown of the Nikkei piece’s allegations. Some of it we’ve heard before. Some of it is new:

Kojima Productions, the studio behind the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V (and long famous as a brand of its own), is now simply known as “Number 8 Production Department.” The computers in this section, Nikkei says (and as we reported earlier this year), are allegedly not connected to the internet and are only able to send internal messages.

Nikkei reports that employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.

That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren’t there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of Konami’s own employees.

That most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. (Note: Konami employee emails are typically a few letters followed by a string of numbers, but this random email changing has been going on at Konami for years. A while back, one Konami employee told me this was done to prevent headhunting. Over the years, I have seen developers with company email addresses, but this might have changed recently.)

That Konami game developers who aren’t seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company’s fitness clubs or roles at a pachi-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles. In 2013, Asahi News, one of Japan’s largest newspapers, ran an interview with a former Konami staffer who allegedly went from game development to working in Konami’s pachi-slot factory, causing him to experience severe depression. :siren:

That one former employee, upon announcing on Facebook that they were leaving Konami and had got a new job elsewhere, had their post monitored. Nikkei says remaining Konami staff who “liked” the post were all reshuffled within the company.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that's basically how you get from "let's ship a metal gear game" to "if we make you play 2/3rds of a game three times in a row for some reason, its like you're getting over half a game free, Thats Value, peasant"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
“Our game needs to be always online to provide a seamless singleplayer and multiplayer experience, kind of like how the Souls games have a seamless single player and multiplayer experience, the one small difference being that they don’t have an always online requirement and still manage to deliver perfectly...

...also we don’t want you to be able to cheat in a single player game because then you’ll be less likely to buy bullshit from our lovely store lol. gently caress you.”

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 17, 2018

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Uhh Souls does require always online you just get the choice to opt out of it

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Exactly, I think that was his point.

In my opinion either Sony or WB should just buy the IP from Konami since the only thing they are doing with it is making Pachinko machines out of it. I do think there is enough material to milk for comic books, tv shows movies video game. Hell if Sony buys it then they have a proven plan B ready in came Death Stranding doesn't work.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Exactly, I think that was his point.

In my opinion either Sony or WB should just buy the IP from Konami since the only thing they are doing with it is making Pachinko machines out of it. I do think there is enough material to milk for comic books, tv shows movies video game. Hell if Sony buys it then they have a proven plan B ready in came Death Stranding doesn't work.

I agree.

Then again I'm probably in the minority here but I couldn't give less of a drat about Snake The Character or anybody else in the MGS universe. However, the whole concept of a stealth military dude with every cool combat toy under the sun plus a few more for good measure, who gets to mess with dumb enemy soldiers that show a '!' over their head accompanied by a fun sound effect when they see you is just about the coolest setup for a video game ever, so I'd love it if we got a lot more mileage out of that concept, especially now that the moment-to-moment gameplay formula has finally been perfected in MGS5.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It'd be cool if another studio made a spiritual successor with the MGS gameplay formula, but the series itself should have ended a long time ago.

Thank God Kojima is finally free

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I'm curious to see if we ever get the chance to fight some kind of mutated semi-organic metal gear. I seem to recall a giant mechanical foot in one of the more recent trailers.

Honestly if you're going to re use assets just let me fight the peace walker mechs in the Fox Engine and I'm good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm curious to see if we ever get the chance to fight some kind of mutated semi-organic metal gear. I seem to recall a giant mechanical foot in one of the more recent trailers.

Honestly if you're going to re use assets just let me fight the peace walker mechs in the Fox Engine and I'm good.

Considering they keep mentioning finding AI boards, I'm excited to find out :tem: My greatest dream is finding out the wormhole also sucked Zeke out of the ocean, and we can rebuild him and stomp around. I know it won't happen but man that'd own

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Danaru posted:

Considering they keep mentioning finding AI boards, I'm excited to find out :tem: My greatest dream is finding out the wormhole also sucked Zeke out of the ocean, and we can rebuild him and stomp around. I know it won't happen but man that'd own

This alternate dimension grabs stuff randomly from time and space, right? You never know.

Wait. Does zeke still have the nuke in it?! That could be a thing we have to deal with.

Also please give me another chance to pilot rex. I mean, this is non canon anyways, let's go full monster hunter and have fun.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Willie Tomg posted:

Phantom Pain had one of the most hosed up dev cycles in the history of gaming and where it gets really weird is that if anybody knows the whole story they've kept it to themselves for a handful of years now.

Either kojima hosed somebody's wife, or the executives would smoke entire grams of meth in the bathroom and stomp out ballistically pissed off that the yield curve on a AAA game is different from a mobile gacha trap.

My work does all of this poo poo lol. Nobody gets reassigned to janitor duty because that's done by the building but poo poo people get put on poo poo teams. If you're late coming back from lunch you go on the Naughty List, there are cameras everywhere and badge points every two doors, about the only thing we don't do is randomize email addresses. fuuuuuuck

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

After watching the quick look I kinda want to play Metal Gear Survive

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played a bit of Revengeance yesterday. Its been a while (my current playtime is somewhere around 200-300 hours. I cant tell because the counter glitched at 146 hours)

The games so good. Everything from attacking to parrying feels like it has proper impact and the bosses are text book examples on how to make a Metal Gear boss

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Revengeance only has two bad things about it - that part where Raiden is all hosed up and you can't attack so you have to stumble through the streets and the fact we'll never see a sequel :smith:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Armstrong is seriously in contention for best goddamn final boss ever in a videogame.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Uhh apparently there's a Metal Gear Survive open beta for the next few days?

Downloading now on PS4

edit: uh oh

quote:

Update about METAL GEAR SURVIVE BETA

Metal Gear Survive's beta is unfortunately not yet available for PS4 in the Americas. The beta is available in all other regions for PS4 and available globally on Xbox One.
We're working to get this resolved as quickly as possible and will let you know as soon as we have any updates. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Grey Fox posted:

Uhh apparently there's a Metal Gear Survive open beta for the next few days?

Downloading now on PS4

edit: uh oh

huh? I managed to download and play it for a while. It's, uhhhh, not great so far