Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been playing mgs v for the past couple weeks and it's insanely good, but since the topic is fultoning dudes and base building I'll just come in and say that I used cheat engine to bypass all that and it increased my enjoyment of the game like 10x.

Same goes for gatekeeping the tranq rifle behind dozens of hours of grinding. No thanks, that should've been available at the outset instead of trying to force me into playing lethal

Also the ratio on male to female combatants to fulton is hosed up. I have my base totally stocked and I think I have 6 women total. Luckily I got one early on so I was able to play the majority game as a woman, but it's still dumb.

site fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, that's true I should've phrased it differently, I think all of them were either prisoner extracts or mission rewards

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have some 87 hours in this game and a good 83 or so of those has been mainly using the m2000 and wu/wu ap and I wouldn't call any of it easy

site fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A good 70 or 80% of missions I've done multiple reload checkpoints so I could properly ghost them to my satisfaction :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess I'm confused on why having the option of using the silenced tranq is easier, is the assumption that anyone who uses it must be just sitting on a ridge clearing out the whole base

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I don't see any difference between what you just listed and every silenced rifle other than you can fulton a guy if you want

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The game is too easy according to who

Like, this

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You don't have to sit on a ridge, you can run in and shoot everyone, one by one, so long as you're not an idiot and expose yourself needlessly.

You can do this with only the wu, or the burkov tb, or the s1000. So just get rid of all non lethal guns altogether? Because you personally don't want to engage in the styles of play that use them?

site fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Like I just now a minute ago finished a side op I reloaded 3 times to do it the way I wanted and I'm kitted out with a silenced s1000 air, water pistol, and m2000 and I'm in the post game. Why is this arbitrarily too easy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I'll agree with the fultoning, once I had enough guys to where I could ignore it and focus on stealthing around guys instead of having to knock out everyone to grab them it became even more fun

^^^ I guess I don't understand how you're getting from, I don't want to play lethal therefore non lethal must be easier. Shooting a guy in the head and leaving him there in infinitely easier than sneaking around. I had more guys than I know what to do with well before I finished even the main missions so I'm not sure why the fulton is such a deal breaker

And I guess I should clarify I'm more than happy to cqc or tranq/stun a guy. Maybe ghost was the wrong word but any means to non lethally take care of enemies without setting off any alarms. I just prefer to avoid it

site fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Right! Fulton makes the game less fun!

Fun and easy aren't the same the thing. It wanted me to play a different way than I would prefer, that did not make it easier. Like, you're telling me I need to give up a style of play entirely because you're skill level of different than mine. Just don't fulton guys, it's not that hard!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I guess I have a fundamental disagreement with the notion that you have to play this game a certain way because [item exists] and the whole thing of "these particular items, when used in a particular way, make the game less fun for me" with the solution not obviously being "just don't play that way" but instead "therefore those items are bad should be nerfed or just cut entirely" is just baffling to me

site fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Paul MaudDib posted:

@site, mostly what you're seeing here is veteran players bitching that we wish the game would have had a more structured challenge mode with difficult extraction mechanisms and more difficult/intelligent AI in general (especially regarding extractions so it feels riskier). Yeah you can come up with whatever personal rules you want but we can't make the AI better or fundamentally change the rules of visibility/extraction/etc, and it would have been nice to see where they could have gone with an official challenge mode. The existing "extreme" and "total stealth" modes play like poo poo, they really aren't fun at all, it's just "what if every dude was a riot suit dude and no reflex", or "every dude is a riot suit dude and getting spotted was an insta-fail".

And that's fine, I even agree I would like to see more content like that! It's not, however, the argument I was addressing

Paul MaudDib posted:

fulton is a pretty fundamental gameplay mechanic and can't be avoided in the current incarnation of the game without giving up on weapon progression/etc due to stalled progress on the base.

if you're already powerleveled and just want to roam or run missions then sure but it's really a 2-pillar game, plot and base grind, it's hard to not base grind in this game and if you take it away you're left with something that's not very deep.

For me personally, this was not true. I've managed to get plenty of hours of enjoyment just bypassing that part of the game as much a possible. In fact, it's more fun I would argue not dealing with it. But it does tie into this next part

Paul MaudDib posted:

what most of us are fundamentally looking for here is a reform of the base grind, then either require less extraction but more challenging extraction, or at least change up the mechanism so it's not just "extraction removes dudes from gameplay with no real risk/cost". Or at least an official challenge mode that implements that.

again, still a very fun game, but extraction is the weakest part of this compared to previous MGS titles, and extraction has to exist (in the current incarnation) because of the base grind.

maybe someday the source will leak and we can have someone hack out the entire online FOB thing and work on a little more advanced AI

The extraction example is just very strange to me. Like, the mechanics for you to do helicopter extractions are literally in the game, you can do them, there's nothing stopping you from doing it right now. But because the game doesn't hold your hand and tell you that you should do them, or because your numbers on the talley screen might be a little lower you just don't engage with it. That's not a failure of the game, that's a failure of the player not having the imagination or the will to play in a way that they find more fun. The solution to that isn't to eliminate items that facilitate that style of play, it's for the player to use the systems that are sitting there waiting for you to use them

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Paul MaudDib posted:

helicopter extractions of dudes are not really feasible in the way the game is currently implemented. There are very limited extraction sites and almost all of them are in the middle of a base, so using them without clearing the whole base leads to an alert and often a shot-down chopper (does this kill your extracted dudes? idk)

I'd also like to see the difficulty of helicopter pickups lowered. allow them to be called in most open areas / on rooftops, significantly increase the deploy speeds so it's maybe a 15 second wait (for both helicopter fulton passes and pickups) instead of like a minute, and perhaps decrease the AI's ability to detect the chopper especially at lower levels. Like, calling it in with dudes around isn't an automatic spot, maybe the sound attracts the AI's attention and then when they see it they're like "oh poo poo that's not one of ours!" and then begin to head for AA/etc, at least at lower awareness levels. So compared to a fulton extraction, you get to pick your area, and it's a low pass and a hover instead of flying high for all the AIs to see you.

tbh I literally don't know how to respond to helicopters are impractical because guys can see them. Like, yes, it's a loving helicopter lol. You should have to carry them out to a safe area. I do think being able to call them in anywhere would be awesome (same for requesting fire support), with the caveat that if you choose to do so in an area with guys around they will see it, but I'd hazard a guess that that was some limitation of the game engine or something and not a choice made.

quote:

I've said before but what I'd like to see is the difficulty of fulton extractions raised - so like, instead of the balloon disappearing into the sky after two seconds, they hover in the air, and the chopper has to make a pass overhead to grab the balloon. Thus giving the AI more of a chance to see+shoot the balloons, and to see the helicopter and shoot it. You thus are encouraged to clear a decent sized area and fulton a bunch of dudes at once instead of picking them off one at a time with no risk.

finally, I'd like to see a revamp of the AI's behavior around extraction in general. Picking off dudes one at a time with nobody ever noticing feels weird. Like you can strip 3/4 of the soldiers out of a base and nobody ever notices that Johnny is suddenly gone. Maybe at mid level awareness soldiers should maybe have a check-in every couple minutes and if they don't radio back then someone goes looking for them or (at higher fulton awareness levels) the base goes on alert. And after a couple minutes the truck drives up and a bunch of reinforcements pop out to replace the dudes you took.

there just could be a lot more depth to the extraction mechanism and the way the AI reacts to it than is currently implemented. The current implementation feels like something that would have been an "easy mode" in previous titles, there could be a harder mode where fultoning isn't just freely picking dudes off and disappearing them.

if Kojima had been given the extra 27 years he needed to finish and polish the game, this is the kind of stuff that might have been tightened up.

(plus yeah, there should have been a lot more dudes in main bases too. Soviet central base camp and there's... ten dudes hanging out?)

I'd be okay with these ideas, and agreed on the feeling that the big bases need more guys

quote:

maybe there could be a radio operator dude on the comms who is "coordinating the teams" and taking him out will decrease the enemy's coordination and prevent the reinforcements from being called, or whatever. That way you actually have to infiltrate and take out comms on a regular basis besides just preventing reinforcements during a full combat alert. Essentially, blur the line between "we've noticed 3/4 of the base has disappeared, maybe something is wrong?" and a full combat alert a bit.

When I first started playing I thought that was the way it worked because there are the radio operator guys with the backpacks. Also it is a small peeve of mine that I'll put into the effort to water gun or c4 comm satellites and main radios but then they are fixed the next time you come around. Only anti air radars seems to stay destroyed. All that effort :(

quote:

none of this can be implemented by "just don't use fultons lol". helicopter extractions are impractical in the current incarnation and need tuning. Coincidentally, fultons are ridiculously easy in the current incarnation and also need tuning. The current thing would have been fine as an "easy mode" but it just lacks the "play it how you want" of previous MGS in this aspect. Fultons are "the right way" to play and helicopter extractions are "the wrong way" and you have to swim completely opposite to the incentives the game gives you if you want to do it your way.

I still disagree with this tho because I don't believe that the initial premise is justified, and I just don't care about minmaxing and don't see "numbers didn't go up all the way" as the "wrong" way

Paul MaudDib posted:

and on the "fulton awareness" note, fulton awareness might be the most pathetically useless feature of the adaptive AI. Balloons pull you away so fast that I can probably count the number of times I've ever had a fulton shot down on a single hand, and they don't affect wormhole fultons at all. I rarely see it do more than get a caution raised.

I had it happen a couple times when I was new to the game hadn't learned the tics of the AI and its awareness zones, but yeah not really a thing

site fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 29, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eva suit all day every day

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have 2 questions

Does he get to wear sunglasses and a blonde wig for the miller codecs

Do they recast with keifer for 5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did you not see the last Star Wars movie?

I don't think Oscar anticipated the third movie in the 3 picture deal he signed 5 years earlier being poo poo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Meryl mistakes snake for liquid when they first met so they can't look all that dissimilar

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Big boss was just very interested in all the things he could eat while on mission

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Bizness posted:

That was LBJ brah, I wish it had been JFK though.

That would've made for good irony since JFK bailing on the bay of pigs was what sent the boss over the edge

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I turned up the volume expecting the mgs 3 song to play, disappointed

E: oh the thing was muted lol okay cool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
make sure to go back to mother base often at the beginning to see DD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
huey is scum

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
master miller log off

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same but my open eva suit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kaz is the turbo fash as the demon on your shoulder and you will find out why... eventually

Listen to your bf ocelot tho, he knows best

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wolfsheim posted:

sad there will never be another midquel MGS game to explain Miller's transition from multiple amputee, revenge-obsessed, paranoid psychotic in V to normal military guy in MG, presumably involving more body doubles switches, surgery, and gene therapy

Same but for ocelot being chill af in v and then ending up like he does

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah true, I kinda never listened to any of the tapes. He's chill in the cutscenes and voice overs in game at least!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I wish more stuff stayed destroyed. It annoys the hell outta me when I clear out one of the big bases and ten minutes later everything's right back to working order. What was all that work I just did for :cripes:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh sorry, I should been more clear. I mean like comm dishes and power generators. Yeah if guys stayed knocked out forever (I do use a mod to keep them knocked out the entire time your currently at a place, not just for a couple minutes tho) that would be lame

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Paul MaudDib posted:

I honestly rarely use the body-hiding system (it's hard to make an argument for some of these mechanics when fultoning exists and is as powerful as it is - why would you want to hide a body in a dumpster when you can hide it on mother base?). So this may be way off, but my understanding is that a stunned/sleeping enemy that is placed in a dumpster or outhouse will never wake up.

After a while you just don't need any more guys

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Because I like to play stealth games non lethal?

I don't really bother hiding bodies unless they are directly in the line of sight of other guards either

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, but then you just fire the losers and they hide at the line of the local unemployment office.

that just sounds like a lot of extra menuing I don't want to deal with

site fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 3, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When it saw how outmatched I was during honey bee I just ran, and it worked lol. They don't follow you after you exit the canyon

Just sprint for the exit and call for the horse

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didn't even know you could use tanks, i thought they were just for the combat team money missions lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If communism is so great why are all the soviet troops listening to decadent western pop

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the real nanomachines were the friends snake made along the way

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
now that you know, do you feel ashamed of your words and deeds

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same but I used the everyone is s++ mod combined with here's 30 women to fulton and fill up your base infinity heaven sideop mod

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
being brand new with the series just last year, twin snakes was much easier to get into mechanically, but i did watch the chip cheezum lp for the original game to see all the og cutscenes because i knew going in TS changes a lot of em

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone take the bullet for me and run whatever today's update is and find out if it breaks mods before i run it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just sped through the missions and let whoever caught it die because at that point your base is so stacked it doesn't impact you anyways

Shear Modulus posted:

It overwrites everything but they updated Snakebite already and the old mods I've tried (biggest being some side ops mods) seem to still work

e: the last update they put out last month seemed to update the terms and conditions but no idea what this one did

ty

site fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 24, 2021