Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

seeing MGSV pop up again is getting me one step closer to convincing myself to play all the games in chronological order. dear god
Publication order or timeline order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

This baffles me because based on what I've seen on Loon's streams, Sutherland's take as Big Boss felt really wooden. That long jeep ride where Skull Face rambled on about his philosophy and plans where Big Boss was completely :geno: comes to mind.
As I recall Venom Snake had literally no lines during that ride, so I don't think it's really saying anything about Sutherland's performance either way.

In fact I can't remember Snake saying anything during actual gameplay (and you had control of the camera and could bring up the idroid during that ride, it technically counts) that wasn't something the player triggered out of the "yell at soldiers and/or your buddy" menu.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Edit: Oh, and cut back on the Drebin Aristocrats cutscenes for all the B&B Corps fights. Basically just standard editorial discipline and the cutscenes would have been fine.
I really want to know how Drebin learned some of that poo poo. Like his story goes "And then everybody involved was killed and she went completely insane, so there's nobody left to actually tell us what happened!"

Generic American posted:

In defense of Kiefer, I actually really enjoyed a lot about his performance- at least, what little of it there was. For a lot of the cutscenes, I felt like he actually managed to convey a lot of the correct notes that only click once you know the whole truth. At first, it felt jarring to have Big Boss act so passive and submissive while everyone else basically just spoke for him and told him what to do. Looking back at him as Venom, though, it really starts to click with me that his mind is genuinely struggling with how to react to most things.
Yeah, "Kaz. Tell me what to do again" or whatever the exact line was had this air of desperation that seemed weird until you learned that this isn't big boss. He really did need more lines though, I remember listening to one tape, and wondering who one of the people talking was until I realized about 2/3rds of the way through that it was Venom Snake.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

redreader posted:

Did people come to a conclusion on why in mgsv, Miller always gave bad advice? I remember in the translator mission I avoided doing the one thing I was supposed to do because he told me not to do it (capture the translator) and he also said , "don't fire the honey bee missile) and I didn't, but when I replayed the mission I did and nobody cared. I'm sure there are other examples. Anyone figure out why he's so bad at his job?
"You're fultoning THAT guy?" "my scope says he's S-rank in multiple fields kaz."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In It For The Tank posted:

I dunno, Huey in Peace Walker was for sure an unctuous idiot who changed loyalties between Strangelove, Coldman, and Big Boss without hesistation, while also openly stealing the Metal Gear plans from Granin and advocating arming ZEKE with a nuke. His characterization in V seems consistent.
Didn't he go "oh woe is me they are using my creation for horrible purposes", much like Otacon did, and then, unlike Otacon, immediately turn around and start building another Metal Gear for Big Boss? He was a bit fishy even in Peace Walker.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

TPP needs a separate campaign built around the water pistol.
Remember how Peace Walker had those side missions where you were equipped with only a banana and had to hold everybody up with it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Still no Death Stranding thread? I may have to Effort Post one...
Do we actually know what the gameplay is like yet?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zeke was also Very Big and not really useful for most of the things you'd actually do in person in Peace Walker, aside from fighting the other big robots.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Move slowly when sneaking up on guards because they can hear your footsteps if you're moving fast enough.
Unless you're wearing a sneaking suit, in which case I think they can't hear you unless you're sprinting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I liked that, IIRC, Psycho Mantis being a telepath wasn't described with much fanfare in MGS1. "Oh yeah, he's their telepath. You know, an essential part of any special ops team."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

I also did have a little bit of trouble on this mission when i tried it.

The trick is the Skulls are not susceptible to explosives at all, but they are weak to high caliber weapons to the face.

Seriously, Lug around a high caliber sniper rifle or a revolver and you'll have a much easier time

Or you could also do like that one video from awhile back. Have Quiet as your buddy, climb the biggest tower there, and wait until she clears the entire battle area.

I recall bringing a grenade launcher and it worked okay if I could get a direct hit. I cleared the mission, at any rate. EDIT: No, wait, I think I brought a primary slot grenade launcher and an HMG in my other non-pistol slot and the HMG did the heavy lifting, sorry.

Momomo posted:

I had a lot of trouble with that mission, and I distinctly remember Quiet shooting the normal zombie enemies and completely ignoring the skulls. She was really the worst companion.
Did she have the anti-material sniper rifle you can develop for her? Her AI might have decided the Skulls were too armored to harm and chosen not to engage them. (I'm just guessing, I do not have any particular insight into the workings of the buddy AI.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Bis Boss Snake acts weird around girls. Solid Snake hit on everything around him until he got old early.
Solid was real bad at hitting on people, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

This is some blasphemy I'm reading here, Solid Snake is a legend!
Yeah. Legendarily bad at flirting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

acksplode posted:

Also maybe the reveal that Ocelot's Liquid persona was self-hypnosis and his true allegiance was to Big Boss all along.
No he was actually possessed during the events of MGS2, but in MGS4 he'd replaced Liquid's arm with a cyber-arm and used hypnosis to keep up the act.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arsenal drove well inland, causing a lot of destruction in the process.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Bear in mind that quite a few of the optional objectives assume you're coming back and redoing the mission later with advanced tech.
There's several that require you to have the ability to fulton things you won't have the first time you play the mission, for example.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

MGSV question: Did Venom actually have brain damage to the speech center of his brain, or just never know those languages to begin with?
The former seems like it'd have more wide-ranging consequences, so it's probably just a cover for the latter, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

This is the sort of dramatic irony that makes the story of MGSV work for me.

Snake, Ocelot, Miller and Huey save the world but at the end of the day they are all awful people who get whats coming.
I mean they save it from poo poo Huey had a large hand in creating so i'm not sure he should really get much credit here

it's not like Otacon where he turned around and dedicated the rest of his life to fighting the kind of thing he once created, he just loving went right back to it

"Okay boss I know the nuclear-equipped walking automated weapon I created for the US government was a bad idea but this one is going to be different" "um" "I've already started no need to thank me"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I like it apart from the bosses, but oh geez, I just did the date with Paz "mission"...
I think that unlocks the date with Kaz mission, as an upside.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Presumably Hayter was too busy grousing over how the Watchmen movie was underappreciated
I believe they just didn't ask Hayter to come voice anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

why is kept you waiting a catchphrase?
No, "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MGS4's gameplay was pretty good, I say.

you know, when you got to do it instead of watch a huge block of cutscenes that are only interrupted by multiple different prompts to save

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

I like it when you parachute the bear
... Survive is apparently even weirder than I heard about. :psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

My main problem with the MGS3 LP is the lack of cutscene commentary. They didn't even start doing it until halfway through MGS2. What were they thinking, I'd love to hear Chip and Ironicus react to MGS3's plot.
There's one part in the middle of a cutscene during Blood on the Sand where I really want to know what their reaction to it was but it was before cutscene commentary, so it's lost to time.

I don't remember exactly what it IS at he moment, though, been a while since I watched the LP.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Akuma posted:

The real Big Boss never shuts up, though, in the opening and ending. Keifer not having many lines of dialogue for Venom is the real phantom pain.

Really though when the whole thrust of the game is words and speaking and language I find it hard to buy that Venom doesn't talk much because of voice acting budget.
There are some tapes where Venom talks a lot more than he ever does in gameplay/cutscenes. I recall playing one and being like halfway through it before I reazlied who one of the characters was, because, you know, Venom almost never speaks outside of them.

Wolfsheim posted:

Venom talks a lot in the tapes, though? I assume those were all intended to be cutscenes that never got made. I mean I guess not a lot in the sense that 90% of the game is capturing bases in an open world but in the six or so plot-centric missions (and tapes related to them) he talks a normal amount.

Also he's always saying "where are your friends"
There are also some tapes which are clearly, like, scrapped cutscenes. They have foley work, long segments of dead air where presumably somebody is doing something, they lack the filters to make it sound like it's actually being played off a casette tape...

I think the "Venom doesn't talk during actual gameplay except to bark orders at people he's holding up/pet the dog/whatever" is a fully intentional choice but the rest seems like Development/Budget Problems.

Meridian posted:

For me at least, Peace Walker didn't really show Big Boss falling, and I was really hoping that Phantom Pain would. The bait and switch with Big Medic I don't even mind, but it wasn't allowed to play out fully and so it ended up feeling hollow.
If you dug into the postgame stuff and found the rest of the plot hiding in it Big Boss gives a rather weird and villainous speech as the very last plot thing before the concluding ocelot phone call, but otherwise, yeah.

Purple Monkey posted:

I've always wondered how much of the stuff in Chapter 2 is intentional and how much of it is the result of the game being unfinished because Peace Walker made you do a similar bunch of jumping through stupid hoops to get it's real ending
:hmmyes: MGSV has a very big "NEXT TIME ON! THE GAME'S NOT OVER! THERE'S MORE PLOT! PLEASE DON'T STOP PLAYING HERE!", which I assume is a reaciton to how a lot of people missed that there was more plot. And you had to do a lot more and less clearly labeled stuff to get to it in Peace Walker. Grind up all the parts you need to finish Zeke! Play Hide and Seek like five times, with very little in the way of hints! etc.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Meridian posted:

I am currently working on getting 100% in this game and some of the ways you can S-Rank missions are absolutely hilarious.

D-Horse is a weapon to surpass metal gear.
I s-ranked one mission to deal with a bunch of vehicles somewhere in africa by, like

deliberately getting spotted so they'd stop and I could sprint up and stick them to a balloon among other not-very-stealthy shenanigans

by far the most important component of an s-rank is time

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

D-Dog is a badass. As far as I remember he's immortal, but if he takes a lot of fire you'll have to win back his trust/friendship meter a bit I think. Use the pat the dog button a lot.

And it's definitely okay to get messy out there, you can kill some, recruit some, all good.
I think if DD takes enough fire he'll automatically extract (via balloon) as well the other buddies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can also load people onto your helicopter but there's not much point in doing that unless they're too injured to survive being sacrificed to the sky god via balloon, or for some other reason you're prevented from using a balloon on them.

Like, some mission objectives to extract people are of injured people, for example.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gtrmp posted:

You can initially only carry 12 Fulton balloons at a time
Yeah, but you can call in resupply whenever you want, it's not peace walker where you were stuck with that many for the entire mission.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Urgh, I forgot about the degrading suppressors in this game - the only bad feature introduced in MGS3! Please tell me that there are some R&D options that negate this, so you go back to having MGS1+2 suppressors. :ohdear:

(Also, last night I found DD before stopping for the night. :3: I also abducted some A+ tier Spetsnaz commander I was meant to kill - he's currently in my brig. Hopefully I can convince him to join me, so I can have him aiding me in the field against his former allies)
There's a couple of weapons that are just innately silent, and also you can call in a supply drop that'll refill your suppressors. And some guns have better silencers on them, and you can eventually unlock weapon customization to use them on things other than the exact weapon your developed them on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It'll refill your ammo, fultons, suppressors, and random items like cardboard boxes, grenades, mines, etc.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think if your vehicle is still intract when you leave on the helicopter or otherwise it'll get sent back to mother base?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Do you even need Walkers for anything since you've got, you know, D-Walker?
stealing them to sell for GMP?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think the really quiet guns are firing subsonic ammunition

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Also, how obnoxious do those parasite/"skulls" guys become? I've recently finished the mission to retrieve the Honeybee and they haven't been too bad leading up to this point. But I mean, I can't help but hope that they don't get much worse, seeing as they're un-killable and seem to always know where I am.
they are killable but you need better gear than you'll have at that point, and/or more system mastery

i think even if you use the honeybee instead of keeping all of its ammo for turning over to the employer you can kill, like, one, maybe two of the Skulls there

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think for Raiden you just need to S-rank all the missions, which isn't that hard. You don't need to complete every objective or go perfect stealth to S-rank them, it's mostly just about speed, so take a jeep and blow into the base guns blazing, blow up the target, and drive out/fulton yourself out riding on a container. A ton of the missions can be cheesed quite easily.
I saw a video of somebody s-ranking OKB Zero by just getting on D-Walker and driving straight up the middle without stopping once

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i have now seen two videos of somebody doing this

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

redreader posted:

Sorry if this has been covered a lot already, but we all agree that Hal loving sucks in MGSV.

I played peace walker twice, before MGSV. I loving love peace walker and it's one of my favourite MGS games. I'm not the best rememberer of plots though, but I don't remember Hal being a complete rear end in a top hat in peace walker, so I was quite glad to meet him in MGSV. Was there any foreshadowing in peace walker of him being awful? Or was he just the not-Otacon helper guy there that I remember him being?

edit: Death Stranding GOTY
Hal isn't in MGSV.

His dad, Huey, is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I got a bunch further this time but the whole string of :ninja: TOTAL STEALTH :ninja: and :supaburn: EXTREME :supaburn: missions may be my end.
You don't need to do them to progress any story stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it's objectively a problem with the game structure, but I had a surprisingly good time listening to story tapes while out running side missions, so I can't hate on it too much.
There are several of them that are clearly edited like they were actual cutscenes you were watching instead of tapes you're listening to, down to not including the tape hiss effects or anything.