Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bedlamdan posted:

Are you guys talking about Gutter from the Union? Because uhhh when I read that, I finally realized that this was not the wacky Soccer themed Blood Bowl I came in for...

I mean, even after that there's a lot of stuff that's either grim or just downright depressing. The team captain of the Butcher's Guild, for example, goes on a killing spree to get revenge for someone shanking his teammate, only to be left for dead by his number two. And in season two you get stuff like a team captain from season one basically getting tossed away like garbage because they were crippled in a match.

I mean, different strokes and the fluff is largely irrelevant to the game itself but I went in to the setting fluff expecting a hoot like soccer themed Wacky Racers and Blood Bowl's 'dark-elf assassin that was hired after he killed a player during a match, only to be passed the ball accidentally and fleeing all the way to a touchdown' but then I read the fluff and it was a downer! :saddowns:

Yup! Count me forever uninterested in a game that thinks this is worth including in any part of itself!

loving garbage fire poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My Shadowrun game involves us ICly having a gold star board that every one of us takes very seriously, we'd probably be a bit insulted in the GM used a real life one to get us to bathe more.

Of course we don't NEED to be told by another grown rear end adult 'hey maybe you should bathe'.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Someone in the previous thread asked where D&D got its usage of the term dungeon from. I don't have an answer to that, but I do know that the labyrinth from Greek mythology is a pretty classic example of something we'd see as a dungeon today, and it was designed as a prison for a horrifying monster/child out of wedlock.

I'm gonna look into whether Gygax or Arneson made any explicit statements about that.

Edit: Designers and Dragons seems to say on page 10 that the term "dungeons" came from the fact that Dave Arneson's fantasy gaming campaign started around a castle, and Arneson saw the dungeons under the castle as an easy place to expand the scope of the game. Arneson showed his material for exploring the dungeons under Castle Blackmoor to Gary Gygax and that's how they started working on OD&D.

So it seems, at least going by that book, like the focus around the dungeon largely came from it being the most obvious way to create an infinitely expansive area to move through that logically connected to the castle setting of Black Moor.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 3, 2018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
On a totally unrelated note, there's not an existing Stars Without Number thread, is there?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's not, but it sometimes gets talked about in the OSR thread, given its roots.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nickoten posted:

Someone in the previous thread asked where D&D got its usage of the term dungeon from. I don't have an answer to that, but I do know that the labyrinth from Greek mythology is a pretty classic example of something we'd see as a dungeon today, and it was designed as a prison for a horrifying monster/child out of wedlock.

I'm gonna look into whether Gygax or Arneson made any explicit statements about that.

I always assumed that Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser crawled into something described as a "dungeon" at least a couple of times

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't a classical definition of a dungeon the underground part of a medieval castle, and by extension would be used in that manner because D&D was the zoomed-in XCOM tactical-level simulation of what happens when Gygax and Arneson's miniatures medieval combat games turned into a siege and someone tunneled into a castle's dungeon from the outside-in?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't a classical definition of a dungeon the underground part of a medieval castle, and by extension would be used in that manner because D&D was the zoomed-in XCOM tactical-level simulation of what happens when Gygax and Arneson's miniatures medieval combat games turned into a siege and someone tunneled into a castle's dungeon from the outside-in?

That appears to be the explanation as far as I can find. I edited it into the previous post but took too long.

Edit: except I think Arneson purposefully moved the campaign he was running there. The book is a bit vague in Arneson's role in "running" his campaign but I'm guessing the rules he was using made him a proto dungeon master and he was having the characters (Black Moor had you playing as individual characters transported into a medieval world ala Ultima) enter the dungeons as part of that campaign.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ewen Cluney posted:

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/948265344195379200

Dunno about you guys, but I'm going to be buying some stickers for the next time I run a big game. Also possibly getting some sticker sheets custom made.

Makes them sing Grease songs. Huge STDH red flag right there. Could only be bigger if it was Bohemian Rhapsody.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I found this thing of a Microlite20 being heavily adapted towards D&D 5e.

What is the preferred binding method for a work like this that only runs to 17 pages? I feel like ring-binding is excessive or might not fit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is the preferred binding method for a work like this that only runs to 17 pages? I feel like ring-binding is excessive or might not fit.

Spiral binding would look nice.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

The word "dungeon" comes from the French donjon, which originally referred to the entire keep of a castle, so using it for some kind of fortified structure isn't that far of a stretch.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

Continued from last thread:

I believe the germ that became D&D was a wargame scenario where you're infiltrating a castle through its dungeon.
I actually researched this a while back and apparently a lot of the dungeon stuff came from the fact that they wanted to expand Castle Black...hawk? Greyhawk? Greyblack? Something Something...., because it was a development from...
BLACKMOOR! Castle Blackmoor! Thatīs what it was, wasnīt it? Anyway, according to "Playing the World" and Designers and Dungeons (70s) the idea of dungeons actually came about because they had already pacified and mostly divided the surrounding lands of Castle Blackmoor, and to quote Arneson

Dave Arneson posted:

"Shortly, Castle Blackmoor was too small for the scale I wanted. But it was a neat kit and I didnīt want to abandon it, so the only way to go was down."
So yeah, Dungeons because Arneson wasnīt willing to expand outside like many other games were. Silly, but then again what isnīt in this hobby.

Halloween Jack posted:

I kind of enjoy generically lovely RPGs in the same way I enjoy generically lovely movies: they can only stay "generic" for so long before they become a snapshot of a particular time and place in the medium. What you got?
[...]

Letīs see....Iīve got Blood & Bullets, a bad d20-ified Western DnD, A Palladium Fantasy RPG Book 2:Old Ones, Osiris RPG - Spielerhandbuch (German, unknown game, weird manga-esque style, boring kind of bad), Testaments of the First Cabal for Mage, Trinity Shattered Europe, Midgard Books, several d20 Mythic Vistas (Medieval Players Guide [bad]), Three Days to Kill (Penumbra-Series), Star Wars d6 Slaves of Goroth, or ERPS (Erstes Deutsches RollenspielsSystem [First German Roleplaying System, but not really] with imaginative adventures like Mother-In-Lawīs Brows Furrow, or Icy Lands of Cold Towers), Bloodshadows RPG, LODland, and several old unboxed DSA (TDE) 4th Edition books Iīll never ever use again because I despise the system and world behind it. Iīve got some other pieces, but canīt be bothered to write them up completely, but much of it is in german, so Iīm unsure if itīs of any use to someone outside :(

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tend to use a quick and dirty staple-based saddle-stitch for small books like that. They make specialized staplers for binding a book this way, but you can get comparable results with a stapler that folds open; just be mindful of your stapling surface if you do it that way! If you want to get fancy, you can bind with thread, and that opens you up to a bunch different binding techniques.

Of course, all of this requires either downscaling your printed page size or oversized printing in order to create bifolds. As a result of the bifold process, documents with a page count evenly divisible by four have the best results. So the document in question is a perfect length if you can live without having the character sheet as part of the book.

If you want to keep the text at original size – and as loose leaves – your best bet is some form of clamp binding like binder clips or a report/presentation cover.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Letīs see....Iīve got Blood & Bullets, a bad d20-ified Western DnD, A Palladium Fantasy RPG Book 2:Old Ones, Osiris RPG - Spielerhandbuch (German, unknown game, weird manga-esque style, boring kind of bad), Testaments of the First Cabal for Mage, Trinity Shattered Europe, Midgard Books, several d20 Mythic Vistas (Medieval Players Guide [bad]), Three Days to Kill (Penumbra-Series), Star Wars d6 Slaves of Goroth, or ERPS (Erstes Deutsches RollenspielsSystem [First German Roleplaying System, but not really] with imaginative adventures like Mother-In-Lawīs Brows Furrow, or Icy Lands of Cold Towers), Bloodshadows RPG, LODland, and several old unboxed DSA (TDE) 4th Edition books Iīll never ever use again because I despise the system and world behind it. Iīve got some other pieces, but canīt be bothered to write them up completely, but much of it is in german, so Iīm unsure if itīs of any use to someone outside :(
But Bloodshadows is great! I don't know anything about the 3rd edition, though.

What's the best original German RPG?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

But Bloodshadows is great! I don't know anything about the 3rd edition, though.

What's the best original German RPG?

The Dark Eye?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mr.Misfit posted:

I actually researched this a while back and apparently a lot of the dungeon stuff came from the fact that they wanted to expand Castle Black...hawk? Greyhawk? Greyblack? Something Something...., because it was a development from...
BLACKMOOR! Castle Blackmoor! Thatīs what it was, wasnīt it? Anyway, according to "Playing the World" and Designers and Dungeons (70s) the idea of dungeons actually came about because they had already pacified and mostly divided the surrounding lands of Castle Blackmoor, and to quote Arneson

Greyhawk was Gary's setting. Blackmoor was Dave's.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
So I've been doing a ton of miniature sculpting lately, and we don't actually have a thread for it. I know interest checks are somewhat dumb, but would people want a thread that compiles some mini sculpting resources? I'm sure there's goons who are a hell of a lot better at it than I am, so I'm hoping to get some interest?

I feel like it sort of fits in the general painting thread, but it's a totally different skill set and might get some people interested in making their own stuff or showing off conversions/sculpts they've made.

Plus, this is the only place I can think of that won't have a sculpting/conversion thread turn into a curated collection of weird tentacle-dick minis.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
So when my (adult, in no way Channer) players saw the Dungeon Mom post they all became very excited about the idea of character sheet stickers. Unfortunately I run my game over Discord, otherwise I would be absolutely all over that poo poo. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can implement this stuff online?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Saguaro PI posted:

So when my (adult, in no way Channer) players saw the Dungeon Mom post they all became very excited about the idea of character sheet stickers. Unfortunately I run my game over Discord, otherwise I would be absolutely all over that poo poo. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can implement this stuff online?

Print out their character sheets, put stickers on them, scan them, reupload? I mean, that's goofy as hell but it...mostly works.

I guess it's more like...what about it are they hyped about? Just that it's kinda like a cute reward thing? If that's the case, Discord does let you give individual lines emojis; depending on how often your group uses that, it could stand out and be nice for you to give a smile from time to time. Again, kinda goofy, but whatever, human beings are goofy, and it's cute.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you have your own Discord you can set it up so only admins can post reactions, make some unique emoji, and do it that way. Or make a google docs spreadsheet and keep that up to date.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Saguaro PI posted:

Smileys/emojis under good posts

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Hackmaster is a beautiful example of quick, less-abstracted, brutal combat that I wish had a big enough following to convince my local group to play, since the term "old school" sends most of them into hysterics. :ohdear:

What are some of your favorite underrated systems, TG chat?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Saguaro PI posted:

Send them emails with a vaguely descriptive commendation and a cute cat gif.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I've started calling Meeples "Mans" and I think that's a better term for them.

Thanks for listening.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Call them Keyples, because that means you're playing one of the Key-series games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Send them emails with a vaguely descriptive commendation and a cute cat gif.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I need to buy a couple of sets of transparent d20s in five-die blocks - five red, five blue, etc. Anywhere I can actually buy individual dice in specific colors for not appalling rates? This is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grassy gnoll posted:

I need to buy a couple of sets of transparent d20s in five-die blocks - five red, five blue, etc. Anywhere I can actually buy individual dice in specific colors for not appalling rates? This is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.
Where are you in the world?

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Translucent/trans_dice_home.htm
Order button is on the lower right of any of the specific pages.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/cat/41/sides/15/d20
Same dice, ~20% surcharge for the pleasure of using a website not made in 1974.

Alternatively, stop by your LFGS and ask to do a bulk order, if you're ordering 20 d20s at once they should give you some kind of discount.

e: define appalling rates.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 5, 2018

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

grassy gnoll posted:

You could try aliexpress. They sell dice at a reasonable rate. 10 d20s for $4.25. And there's plenty of other sellers for d20s. The only down sides are that it takes a month or longer to get them and there's no guarantee that they'll be exactly what you expect.

EDIT Some sellers don't charge shipping either.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leraika posted:

buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest give the rest away as presents or sell them to your LFGS for store credit at cost.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Leraika posted:

buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest see how many you can hold in your mouth at once

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Continental US, and equal to or cheaper than one dollar per d20.

Unless I want to pay a ransom in shipping, I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and wait for the Chessex booth at one of the local conventions.

Leraika posted:

buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest

I did this originally, and all I got were some ugly-rear end swirled dice and more of those kanji d6s than I could give away. I guess if anyone wants some moon-rune d6s, hit me up.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Not gonna lie this was an ugly laugh.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Hey goons,

So for any of you who are following my work on The Next Project (and aren't already on the Discord server) I wanted to post a quick update:

I'm planning to have the 5 classes that were nominated for the next 'starter slate' updated to the new design program, in time for the first blog post. Right now the first drafts of the Fighter, Ranger, and Adventurer are all done; the Sage is next on my list, with the Warlord almost ready (just needing a minor math pass.)

Speaking of the blog, I'm planning to have posts up on/around the 10th, 20th, and 30th of January (same for February, although obviously not on Feb. 30th :haw:)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yo anyone got a recommendation for a quick to play sword and sorcery kinda game? I'm probably gonna run a one shot of 13th age or dungeon world tomorrow and I was wondering if there's another game out there that might be more suited for the genre with an equivalent ease of play.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

grassy gnoll posted:

Continental US, and equal to or cheaper than one dollar per d20.

Unless I want to pay a ransom in shipping, I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and wait for the Chessex booth at one of the local conventions.

I did this originally, and all I got were some ugly-rear end swirled dice and more of those kanji d6s than I could give away. I guess if anyone wants some moon-rune d6s, hit me up.

Yeah, actually. I could go through my dice collection and see if I can come up with a set of same-colored D20s to trade.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Benagain posted:

Yo anyone got a recommendation for a quick to play sword and sorcery kinda game? I'm probably gonna run a one shot of 13th age or dungeon world tomorrow and I was wondering if there's another game out there that might be more suited for the genre with an equivalent ease of play.

Barbarians of Lemuria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Benagain posted:

Tiny Dungeon is really well-designed for one-shots. The second edition PDF just went live on DTRPG, too!