Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Vasy is finally here.

1.95/.937 with 6 shutouts at the halfway mark.

Rask better (only counting December 1 until today for this argument)

Drunk Canuck posted:

Remember how we had to be excited about Luke Schenn.

well you managed to turn him into JVR so it wasn't all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm gonna hate myself later if this post becomes a jinx, but 3rd is doable this season.

I don't think he will but I also don't mean that in a "Columbus is bad" way. That'd put him at 40+ wins this year and generally only a handful of guys hit that mark - although honestly this year it's looking like more guys than usual might do it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I don't really understand the chart to be honest but it appears to be "who is way luckier than expected" so my guess is Backes or Heinen

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

GF% and xGF% are team stats. xGF% is based on wizardry like shot quality and type which isn't easily put into numbers or visualized or understood or understandable.

It's Grzelcyk, somehow. The one further and down and more to the right is Marchand.

you know, I forget Grzelcyk is even on the loving team half the time even though the Bruins play a lot of nationally televised games so you get to hear "did you know his dad DRIVES THE ZAMBONI?!?" ten thousand times per broadcast

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I guess they were betting it was a fluke season which isn't totally unreasonable, it happens, but I also forget who they opted to protect instead of him. If he had had another good season with Florida they probably couldn't have afforded to keep him either, although that still doesn't excuse losing him for nothing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Reilly Smith was one of the only positives from the Seguin trade since he was a throw in that turned out to be a good player and the Bruins dumped him for Jimmy Hayes. I dunno if Reilly is out there loving GM's wives or what but he's apparently real undervalued.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
bring back the teal and purple all star jerseys!!!! I think that was like, 94? 95?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

The Bruins Stanley Cup was like the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns has so many diseases they keep each other in check.

Because individually all of those guys are cancer.

how dare you say that about Patrice Bergeron

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Vegas is doing well for a few reasons:
1. Multiple players who the general consensus on was "Yea, they're pretty good, but can they be a top-6 forward/top pairing guy now that they're not on *insert team*?" turned out to be legit. Karlsson, Marchessault, Miller, Schmidt, Theodore, and Smith all come to mind here. Not sure if this was luck or a credit to Vegas' scouting/GMGM, but I think most people would have expected one or two of these players to pan out, not literally all of them.
2. Goaltending is way better than it has any right to be. Fleury is not this good. Subban's numbers are more reasonable but still in "elite" territory and I'm not sold that he's actually that good yet, but he's young so he might be.
3. I think their depth wins them a lot of games or at least keeps them in them. There's no real stars on the team but almost every forward is easily middle six on any roster in the NHL, and almost every defenseman would easily slot in on the second pairing for most teams. There aren't really any combos that get pushed around since all of them are at least decent.

On another note, after years and years of having 0-1 players hit 100 points in a season, it's pretty cool that there are maybe a dozen players with a shot (some more likely than others) at it this year.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas should probably be a seller for the sake of long-term stability/building a stable of good prospects, but I can also totally see their management buying into the hype.

If I was their GM I'd probably do nothing to be honest, maybe make a trade or two if someone is overpaying. I would absolute not be a buyer. Given how much they've already achieved this year they might as well see what the team can do. A playoff appearance is going to do more for the growing fanbase/credibility of the franchise than getting a few first round picks, and they can still sell at the draft, albeit for probably not as much as at the deadline.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my impression of Seabrook is that he's never really been good but he was "good" or at least "not that bad" when the Hawks were a borderline dynasty. Funny how that works out.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

It's been fun to see Kuzy come out of his shell and emerge as more of a personality, especially as his English has gotten better.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Thufir posted:

https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/951099222547488769

It would be pretty cool if he ended up being close to as good as Kuznetsov.

KHL success at that age has been a fairly solid indicator of legit NHL talent later on. Tarasenko, Panarin, and Kuznetsov (obviously) all scored at around that pace as teens in the KHL and they're stars now. Minnesota has another guy like that (Kaprizov) but it doesn't seem like he's interested in leaving Russia anytime soon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I would've been 3000% more excited if they'd made it u-23 like Olympic soccer.

Agreed. The US bringing a handful of college guys is the only thing that has me mildly interested right now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

FBS posted:

:yeah:

Also, All Star Game rosters are out. It's cool to see Winnipeg send two players for the first time.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/951197511942799368

the Tampa Bay division is going to win

anyway there are a lot of weird picks on there due to the dumb format that gives every team representation and lots of good players left at home, who won't get the honor of playing in this meaningless game.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 10, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Carey Price is not an all star though I understand that if you must choose a Hab.

Karlsson too.

The actual Atlantic All-Star roster is just the Lighting and Bruins at every position plus Auston Matthews

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also Marchand has as many assists as Montreal's leading scorer has points so lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

Outside of Rask and Bergeron who else deserves to be there over some randomly picked Bolt?

McAvoy and Pastrnak

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
oh cool everyone forgot they're not supposed to help Chicago again

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I haven't been paying attention to trade rumors for a while now. Is there actually any talk of trading Matthews or was this just a clickbait/fun hypothetical type of article?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA might actually have a better roster than Canada

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Not unless they pull out some kind of miracle goaltending pair with their last two slots.

ya thats the problem since apparently they're not inviting Woll and Oettinger, which seemed like the obvious choices

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Shinjobi posted:

Tyler Seguin made it to TMZ for making out with former WWE star Summer Rae on the beach.

Uh...good job, I guess? The Stars never get fun hockey news.:shrug:

I'm imagining Seguin making out with a 40+ year old Florida woman with leathery skin how close is that

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I plan to wake up early once or twice to see team USA play if its on the weekend, but if the hockey is bad - and by bad I mean low quality but also good enough that it's not funny - then I won't watch again unless USA is in the gold medal game or something.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I mean, it's going to be better quality than the World Juniors but there are no teenagers for us to fetishize.

personally I hope they get in a situation where Troy Terry can take like 10 penalty shots

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

On that note, why on earth doesn't the NHL allow repeat shooters in the shootout? I don't mean after three or five, I mean why can't one guy take all the shots for his team? How much would the fans love a shootout that was McDavid versus Matthews? Just those two guys over and over until one wins. It's a great way to highlight stars and adds a level of much needed drama to a pretty stale instituion. I want TJ Oshie to be a game winning secret weapon that other teams are intimidated to go up against.

Right now I just don't give the slightest poo poo when some random 2nd liner is sent out there to fire a shot into the goalie's pads. Give me Crosby going backhand five times in a row instead.

Imagine every team scouring the minors for guys who are ECHL level players but have killer shootout moves and giving them 10 minutes a night just in case there's a shootout while a promising prospect spends 2 out of every 3 games in the press box to make room for him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Actually it seems like literally every team that's been to a cup final, win or lose, since 2011 is doing miles better than Vancouver. It's not a model rebuild.

Edit: every team since the 05 lockout really.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 13, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jonny Nox posted:

Sens
Oilers

Sens made the ECF last year (but yeah they suck poo poo now) and the Oilers have McDavid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chara killed some guy or at least probably gave him brain damage

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

drat, that sucks..... guess the guys a bruins fan now

better than playing for Montreal

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

Fun potential history for tonight. If Couturier scores 2+ goals vs NYR tonight, he becomes the first flyer to ever have 4 multi-goal games.

He's tied with 3 with Wayne Simmonds, who did it in 2013, Tim Kerr in 1989, and Bill Barber in 1980.

Surely you mean four multi-goal games against the Rangers specifically, right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
good news everyone:
https://twitter.com/NHLBlinn/status/953414719699812352

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Isn't it a bit premature to write off a 19 or 20 year old or whatever as a bust?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Leafs can play like garbage for the rest of the year and still make the playoffs because the Atlantic division sucks poo poo and I'm about 99% confident that any Atlantic team that isn't already in a playoff spot isn't going to make it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
14 straight games for the Bruins earning at least a point (10-0-4) and they're 14-2-4 since December 1. That's pretty good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston wins again. Only 5 points back of Tampa now with a game in hand.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
having not paid attention to the Avalanche at all really, I was surprised to see Nathan Mackinnon is now 2nd in scoring and that Mikko Rantanen is having a really great sophomore season.

edit: also Carolina is the worst team in the Metro and their record is still significantly better than 5 teams in the Atlantic lol

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 19, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah the dude clearly doesn’t know how to coach, he is a big failure

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Mike Babcock has no idea what he's doing. He's a bad coach, and literally any person you picked off the street in Toronto could do a better job than him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seems like a disproportionate amount of coaches used to be that kind of player. I think that's why they love em so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh no. Not a guy I never heard of.

• Locked thread