Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Starting to think that one of Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds is gone before Hakstol is

This will happen. Philadelphia can't have nice things.

Also, me after last night's game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Just barely within a decade but ATL trading Hossa and Dupuis to Pitt for garbage has got to be up there. Also Forsberg for Erat + Latta. Also Feaster's Ryan O'Reilly offersheet was a really dumb move that just didn't end as badly as it could have.

Add James Van Reimsdyk for Luke Schenn.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm going to Nashville to see the Oilers play (and eat BBQ). Lets hope they don't completely suck in person for my one game this year!!!

Nashville is a great place to visit.

My unsolicited recommendations outside of hockey:
-Grimeys Music
-Third Man Records
-Yazoo Beer
-The Frist Art Center
-Parnassus Books

I revisited Nashville last year after moving away 6 years ago, and the joke I have is “enjoy the scenery of cranes on top of buildings!”

Ginette Reno posted:

Nice. Nashville is a great place to see a game. There's plenty of night life right around the arena too if you're into that.

My one gripe with Nashville tends to be that the downtown area kind of sucks. As in honkytonks suck. So the only bars i would consider going to after a game is Broadway Brewhouse, or if you’re willing to walk Flying Saucer or something on Demonbreun.

Edit: one place I forgot on downtown, if you go down to 2nd, hook left, and go down about 2 blocks, there is the Beer Cellar. That’s a solid dive ish place for downtown.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 6, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm getting there in the afternoon tomorrow and then for 4 days. All recos about everything that rules there is welcomed.

I will be going to the Frist to see Nick Cave's Soundsuits, but otherwise don't have much for plans other than eat and drink and music.

Super jealous. Areas your should check out (random order):

21st ave
-pancake pantry
-the Belcourt
-Fidos
-RIP Bookman Bookwoman (its gone)

12th south
-Mafiosas
-12th south ta

Demonbreun:
-two bits
-tin roof
-whiskey kitchen (close enough)

5 points (east nashville)
-battered and fried
-3 crow bar
-5 spot
-the Nashville biscuit house

Other notables :
-centennial park
-cheekwood estate
-Gaylord hotel and opry mills mall
-music row
-green hills (gently caress the Blue Bird cafe though)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

So if Vegas has a deep run is that going to be a blue print going forward? Trade superstars to moneyball yourselves into a good third and fourth line, or are they doomed to failure because a desperate team can shorten their bench for a few games to knock them out?

Some team like Edmonton or Montreal will try this, but I’m completely the wrong way, and since they will fail other GMs will be like “whelp, Vegas was a one off, which one of my players can I trade for Ryan Reeves?”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

As a fan of the past decade of Blues teams, I can tell you rolling 3 or 4 2nd and 3rd lines doesnt mean poo poo in the playoffs

No lie, this made me laugh really hard (it is unfortunately true).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

If Lucic is bad tomorrow (he will be) it's cause he's wrecked at a honky tonk right now.

The House always wins?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

This article about Trading Auston Matthews is actually pretty good.

I feel like NHL teams don't do a great job yet of really analyzing dollar value of players. This is a good example; a player like Matthews on an AAV north of $12m makes it really hard to build the rest of the team.

Auston Matthews for....wait for it....

Letang and Kessel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

You gotta pay the Troll Toll if you wanna get into that five hole.

:perfect:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only good thing for the flyers tonight:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/953445730810810368/photo/1

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

He's pretty much carrying the Devils right now -- could be a career year for him.

But how is he fitting into the team culture?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I agree to an extent. I don't think they needed to give 30-year old Brent Seabrook an 8-year extension though. Or be so loose with picks over the years.

And they'll be hosed for more than a few years. They're looking at 5-10 years in hockey purgatory going forward.

I would take 5-10 years.

DJExile posted:

yeah that hossa thing was the most convenient timing ever. I mean yeah I hope the guy's OK because that skin disease sounds awful but holy hell that timing was just perfect.

I thought the consensus was it bothered Hossa for years, but he probably chose this year because it’s a disease maybe is worth playing through for 4 mill, maybe not for 1 mill. And obviously the blackhawks aren’t going to disagree.

:kiss:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know Vegas is doing great standings-wise, but are they doing well attendance-wise?

Looks like it.

http://thecomeback.com/nhl/vegas-golden-knights-enjoying-big-attendance-numbers-plan-raise-season-ticket-prices.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

NEWS: TRAVIS KONECNY

VIEWS: HE'S GOOD, OP

Wish the Flyers (coach) figured this out last year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This was going to happen either way?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

hey, HEY

we would only hvae lost 6-1 with Elliott. Maybe 5-1. So there, mister man.

Mister Duck Man

:colbert:

Good call on the 5-1. Guess it would have been 3-1 with Elliott.

:negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
News: Pekka Rinne owns

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/pekka-rinne-what-the-blank-nhl-all-star/

Views: choice quote:

“Just call Juuse Saros. In his dreams I always get hurt or die.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

If NYR dealt those guys, would they be the first team to engage in the kind of pragmatic rebuild (ditching your mid-age guys before their salary outweighs their worth and because they’ll be older/beat up by the time the team is actually competitive) that only exists in theoretical discussions? It’s kind of interesting because more teams could do this but it basically never happens, largely because GMs remain convinced they’re one piece away or because they don’t want to risk pissing off the fans.

I mean, we poo poo on Holmgren all the time, but he did turn Richards and Carter into what, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek and Couturier?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he made his fortune off of subprime loans and intentionally loving over poor people

So....better than the average sports team owner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Apparently Mike Fisher might be un-retiring lol

With Johansen, Turris, Bonino, Sissions and Jarnkrow, is there even really room for him?

Edit:

Flyers lines for tonight:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny

Voracek - Patrick - Simmonds

Weal - Filppula - Raffl

Goulbourne - Laughton - Lehtera

I don’t whether to be more excited for Konencny and Patrick being on the top two lines, or frustrated that Lehtera is playing. I still don’t know who the hell Goulbourne is.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 31, 2018

• Locked thread