Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

The Vancouver Canucks have the 5th highest payroll in the NHL :lol:

Sedins and Eriksson :/. At least they should get a fair amount of space next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Talk about wasting the tax payers money.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

The olympics are bad for the people who live where they are hosted anyway so just don't watch.

I thought it was pretty drat awesome when it was in Vancouver. "Oh, I think I'll go and watch some Olympic hockey in my lunch break".

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Olympics, and the World Cup have very native effects on poorer communities in the host areas. Between massive tax breaks (aka Public Wealth turned Private), displacement and gentrification to build new venues, and militarization of police and reduction of civil liberties (Brazil's crackdown on the Barrios as an example), it goes beyond "hey, i'll go watch the olympics on my lunch break, this is cool".

I'm not singling you out, but yeah, gently caress the olympics, I'm glad the NHL didn't send anyone so now I have no reason to watch.

Summer Olympics in developing countries, perhaps. Given that winter sports, by and large, are for rich(er) people and take place in already fairly expensive and developed places, I doubt the issues above are really a factor. I would say that Vancouver as a whole benefited from it. 2 new venues were built, one for speed skating, the other for curling. The Speed skating arena (Richmond Oval) is now an incredibly busy, multi-sport/community facility and the curling center got turned into a very popular aquatic facility.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

and the Oilers have McDavid.

And no cap space next year.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Malkin got a $5K fine, Brown got a $10K fine, and has a hearing today. Apparently Schultz got cleared after getting checked out for a concussion, so I expect Brown will get... 2 games

With his history,, he should get 4-5.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

Who replaced torts' brain with that of a reasonable human? Or does he have a terminal illness that triggered a personality change to make him so nice.

Obviously the beating he got at the World Cup scrambled his brain.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

He's not actually horrible.

Yes he is.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

AV is badly handling the team and as usual is terrible at adjusting game plan.

Surely not!!! That is unheard of!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

D C posted:

He threw a loving hissy fit last night when Stevens pulled him, he tried to wave Kuemper off the ice, then sat on the bench with his helmet on and stick in his hand for the rest of the 2nd period.

It was glorious :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I know I'm a Bruins fan and inherently biased but 5 seems like a lot for Marchand compared to some of the decisions DOPS has made lately. I was expecting 2 or 3 at most. It bothers me that there's no consistency.

If you watch the DoPS video, it's clear that he saw Johansson and tried to 'defend himself' (by elbowing him in the face). Given his history, 5 is probably about on the low side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

JawKnee posted:

I do think he should be fired out of a cannon

Into Marchand, ideally.

• Locked thread