Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
If the Sens can tank their way to Dahlen this year, maybe that would force them to not play Cody Ceci as much as they do next year? And then they might look like an actually good team? Or, better yet, maybe they would even trade away Ceci?

I think I'm in the "optimistic delusion" stage of the season.

Now to sit back and watch them trade away Hoffman for peanuts (even though he's just as good as Duchene), lose the lottery, and then overpay Ceci a billion dollars while losing Karlsson in free agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
The best part of the story is that the trade didn’t happen because Pierre “I Make All Hockey Decisions” Dorion had to get approval from Melnyk for a no-brainer trade.

I’m almost ready to give up on being a fan of the team until Melnyk sells it. Even Karlsson, the only reason to keep watching this dumb team, is looking terrible now after a hot start.

e: The second best part is what’s implied by the phrasing “Ottawa finally got to a place where it would consider Cody Ceci”. I’m pretty sure any poster on this board could make better hockey decisions than the guys currently running the team.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 4, 2018

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Bob says there’s a “more than 50% chance” the Sens trade Hoffman this year.

I look forward to all of Dorion’s interviews next year where he talks about how hard it is to find a top 6 winger to play with Duchene.

Seriously, unless this team is going for a full-out rebuild, it makes no sense to trade their second best winger, who is on a reasonable cap hit and is signed for 2 more years. He’s also not even going to get close to fair value - Hoffman’s something like 22nd in the league in ES production over the past few years, but he’s never really talked about as a top forward.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
For those who care, Canada’s Olympic team roster was just posted on their website:

I’m most surprised by the lack of any college players. It’s mostly older ex-NHLers and a few former prospects that didn’t pan out. The youngest player is 25.

Apparently they did invite Makar (from the WJC), and he turned them down.

e: there is a “Chay Genoway” on the team. This is not a made-up person.

e2: forgot the link
https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/olympics/2018/2018-men-olympic-hockey-team

bub spank fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 11, 2018

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

bewbies posted:

erik karlsson was the world's best hockey player for the last several years but at least against the blues this year he has been absolutely atrocious. what gives there?

They surgically removed half of his ankle in the offseason and he didn't give himself enough recovery time after coming back.

In his first 10 games back he had something like 17 points and looked great. Since then he's been atrocious compared to his usual self.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
It seemed like everyone was drawing comparisons between the Sens and the old Avalanche last year, and there’s been a lot of chatter, both before the season and since their losing streak started, about overachieving last year and being due for a regression this year.

Last year the Rangers were the 5th-worst possession team in the league at 5v5, and this year they’re the worst in the league. The Rangers roster isn’t anything special, and there’s no obvious reason for them to outperform their possession stats, except for an aging Hank. Outside of bitter Rangers fans on SA though, it seems like everyone thought (and still thinks) that they’re a contender. What’s up with that?

Ditto Colorado, though they seem to have the scoring talent to overcome poor possession to an extent.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 24, 2018

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

bananna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

ThinkTank posted:

Iginla didn't even make Team Canada at the Olympics. Why hasn't he retired yet?

And if Fisher is coming back to the NHL, why wouldn't he want to go to the Olympics first? Can't be worse than Chris Kelly.

• Locked thread