Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

i heard something about how the bills' stadium just had world juniors and couldn't be set up for that

More likely though the plan the whole time was for this to be a home-but-not game for the Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do the Leafs have an outside shot at getting to the finals?

Anything could happen but if they get through Boston they would need to play likely Tampa then Washington or a wild card Pittsburgh who beat Washington because that's what Capitals fans deserve.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have a pretty good shot at being outside the finals.

Boom roasted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’ll win in the Final 6 era.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

How does Ovechkin fare with grinders? I feel like he's the type of player who can be on a line with two guys who dump and chase and he'll just find open space and score if they manage to get the puck off the boards.

Alex Ovechkin is the most selfish man on Earth so it doesn't matter who his wingers are.

One time I saw him pick up $1 on the ground and throw it away. He didn't want it, he just didn't want anyone else to have it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/948602299642990598

Guess which Bruin that is!

No cheating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't really understand the chart to be honest but it appears to be "who is way luckier than expected" so my guess is Backes or Heinen

GF% and xGF% are team stats. xGF% is based on wizardry like shot quality and type which isn't easily put into numbers or visualized or understood or understandable.

It's Grzelcyk, somehow. The one further and down and more to the right is Marchand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I guess they were betting it was a fluke season which isn't totally unreasonable, it happens, but I also forget who they opted to protect instead of him. If he had had another good season with Florida they probably couldn't have afforded to keep him either, although that still doesn't excuse losing him for nothing.

All the guys they protected they pretty much had to, but Florida traded Smith so that Vegas would take him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

Florida specifically left Marchessault unprotected as part of the trade for Reilly Smith as they wanted to dump the latter's salary. Smith, it should be noted, is on pace for a 66 point season.

Sure that's technically true, but it's funnier the way I said it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleWIIM/status/948755722757697536

Who is that scrub defenseman that got clowned on that rush? They should never be out for 3-on-3 ever wait, what do you mean it's Erik Karlsson getting torched? :stonk:

That's been happening to Karlsson quite a bit lately.

Either something's wrong (again) or maybe his soul was finally broken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Bruins Stanley Cup was like the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns has so many diseases they keep each other in check.

Because individually all of those guys are cancer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My brother in law's girlfriend got him tickets to that game and they had booked 2 nights too. They're going to lose like $500.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We'll throw in Dahlin if you take this guy off our hands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Ceci worse than Larsson?

Adam Larsson is pretty good at shot suppression and Cody Ceci is very bad at it.

Ceci's mildly better offensively.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For a salary you can bury 2/3 of in the AHL if you have to I guess it's not a big deal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They still have Hayes’ contract because he was bought out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

It's up there with Forsberg for Erat and McDonagh for Gomez. At least in those two, the crown jewels weren't yet in the NHL.

This one might be the worst, though, for so many reasons. Florida showed all their cards and got burned because of terrible ownership/management.

Both of those thought the guy they were getting back was good though.

This is just giving away guys they know are pretty good for nothing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Do the Habs not play for almost a week after tomorrow’s game?

It's the one week break thing from last year, but they consolidated them into 2 sets this year instead of each team's being somewhere different.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

I thought the consensus was that lou is an old dinosaur stuck in the past and needs to go.

Did something change?

They have a good record so he's good now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slappy Pappy posted:

Even if each conference took 11 teams in the playoffs the Atlantic would only send 3. The Metro is a beast.

Tampa and Boston -> the Metro top 3 -> Toronto -> the rest of the Metro -> the rest of the Atlantic.

Looks like parity to me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm kind of amazed they haven't dealt from forward depth and acquired a couple decent D-men, I guess they're gonna wait for the deadline

I'm sure they've been trying.

A deal for a stud like Gudbranson takes time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He got injured and he's not really healing because he's old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reminder that you guys thought the player protection rules were bad for Vegas and discussed several times how it was designed to cripple the team out of the gate.

And also liked Dustin Brown and the Kings.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

(insert your favorite tweeter) just posted that the Blackhawks put Cody Franson on waivers. he seems pretty good as a bottom pair/powerplay kind of guy, i bet he gets put to good use somewhere else

That's weird, @XXXAnimeBabes doesn't usually post hockey news.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Franson level players basically always clear waivers because teams need to make moves before bringing one of them on. It wouldn't be surprising to see him traded soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that's the intent of the offside rule. The intent of the offside challenge rule are the Duchene and Briere goals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being selfish seems to be working for Kane this season.

Falk has zero points and is a regular healthy scratch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Y'all ready for some beer leaguers and nhl retirees to win Olympic gold?

They're sending the Red Wings?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hifi posted:

i hope it accompanies some kind of new hardware requirements for arenas. anything is going to be bad when you're looking at a 480p replay on a knockoff ipad

Those things are fancy and extremely expensive closed circuit tablets or something.

It's the cameras that suck. They're not even centered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hang a guy up there with a rope and give him a really long iPhone charging cable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carey Price is not an all star though I understand that if you must choose a Hab.

Karlsson too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm going to give you a pass on whatever that joke was supposed to be since English isn't your first language.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Grzelcyk is the most valuable player for on ice goals in the entire league.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Knights would have some kind of trademark for use of the name Knights in regards to hockey or something like that. It would probably only be in Canada though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Army has a Golden Knights parachute team. That’s what they cited when they disputed the trademark the first time.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Right, but the Kentucky Wildcats dont sue the Northwestern Wildcats over copyright or trademarks. Why does London have any room to get huffy about Vegas also calling themselves Knights?

Today they could and probably would have, but those names are like 90+ years old and paperwork was poo poo back then.

Vegas simply could not get Knights in Canada, because London exists. They need it in both countries, so it wasn’t an option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's less Green over Larkin than the other Atlantic forwards over Larkin, forcing them to choose someone on defense in Detroit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4 day break after 5 day break is really dumb but it falls in a good place for the players there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're still paying Jimmy Hayes' buyout.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The army has to defend it because copyright law is actually super dumb (and so they might not actually care), but saying it out like that is going to hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those people would just buy someone else's jersey.

• Locked thread