Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Garrand posted:

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Don't do any normal web speed tests. Make them UDP iperf3 to hurricane electric's server, there won't be any throttling of icmp/preferential treatment of speedtest.net.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iospace posted:

I loving hate capitalism.

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I organize
On company time

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Arquinsiel posted:

Two of the worst local offenders of the crash/austerity economy are based in my datacenter and while I'd never work again I'd be a folk hero if I broke their poo poo.

I once learned that a tech-giant was too cheap to have 24/7 support on their hardware in the datacenter of my former employer when one of their switches crapped out.
Their throughput was cut in half because of it, you probably didn't notice it cause they had enough redundancy but still... that was 600Gb/s less capacity.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bob Morales posted:

Insert xkcd about the license plate

There's a purple charger that I see on my way to work with a license plate like that. How many purple chargers do you see on a daily basis?

Seemed kind of short sighted to me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

I once learned that a tech-giant was too cheap to have 24/7 support on their hardware in the datacenter of my former employer when one of their switches crapped out.
Their throughput was cut in half because of it, you probably didn't notice it cause they had enough redundancy but still... that was 600Gb/s less capacity.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, and even if I did I wouldn't give specifics, but the spike in bandwidth use during prime time is ridiculous.

I realize now you're not talking about an ISP, but the amount of bandwidth we deal with is comical at times for situations like that. Like, yeah we're at .5% average utilization, but what if a redundant link goes down on national Netflix And Chill day? Let's bundle 8 ten gig links together just to be safe.

(Then refuse to invest in the physical infrastructure so the customer's service doesn't work half the time anyway)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a fun little site to see how busy the (UK) Internet is https://portal.linx.net/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a fun little site to see how busy the (UK) Internet is https://portal.linx.net/

4.34 Tbps? You are like little child

https://ams-ix.net/technical/statistics

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of sites that are a bit interesting, has someone made an alternative to internetpulse yet? Just so that it's possible to get some kind of taste of whether everything is broken or just some of it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use isup.me but that's only for websites

If you put your service status page behind a paywall then :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just subscribe to the nanog outages list

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have to do on call for 5 sites on a 1 in 8 rota

4 of the sites are places I don’t work - 1 is my place of work

Every time, as per tonight, when it’s my turn on call - I get a call from 1 of the sites and I have to follow a special snowflake reset process for a system that constantly falls over

The dude who works on that site either need to fix root cause or train users to do the restart solo

Tomorrow is the departments quarterly review meeting so my suggestion is I’m going to refuse to do this particular issue anymore and see if any one has a problem

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My new job stocks fruits, seltzer, granola bars, etc. Pod status: achieved, partially. Being non-exempt means I'll be doing longer days. 9-6 until I get a little more trained up, but then they say I can make my own hours.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Back to the old discussion on service desks.

What do people recommend?
At work we currently have a basic one written in house. Looking for a new product. We trialled Comodo One and while initially it seemed nice. Even integrates patch and inventory management. But it had some shortcomings especially with responsiveness. We also tried connectwise but our trial found it lacking and it kept losing comments and tickets. Anything else we should look into?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

angry armadillo posted:

I have to do on call for 5 sites on a 1 in 8 rota

4 of the sites are places I don’t work - 1 is my place of work

Every time, as per tonight, when it’s my turn on call - I get a call from 1 of the sites and I have to follow a special snowflake reset process for a system that constantly falls over

The dude who works on that site either need to fix root cause or train users to do the restart solo

Tomorrow is the departments quarterly review meeting so my suggestion is I’m going to refuse to do this particular issue anymore and see if any one has a problem

24 hours later - repeat as per above

We are having our quartlery meet up amongst the 5 sites to agree where our policies are at etc

I get a call at approx 2300 so my boss says technically you don’t have your laptop on you to resolve it

I said technically I have 30 mins to respond and my laptop isn’t 30 mins away so I’m going to walk away from this shin dig and resolve this _-_ However _-_ given this call is a password reset for a user I have password reset before whilst on call this is complete bs so I don’t wanna know but I’ll walk away and do it seeing as you are being a dick boss.

Tomorrow I’m going to formally withdraw from doing the on call rota for 5 sites - which means my boss has to explain to my site why the process has changed which he won’t want to do

The alternative solution is to apply pressure to my fellow managers to resolve repeat offenders because I don’t want to have to do the same password reset at midnight every time I’m on call

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Varkk posted:

Back to the old discussion on service desks.

What do people recommend?
At work we currently have a basic one written in house. Looking for a new product. We trialled Comodo One and while initially it seemed nice. Even integrates patch and inventory management. But it had some shortcomings especially with responsiveness. We also tried connectwise but our trial found it lacking and it kept losing comments and tickets. Anything else we should look into?

You're asking for a service desk but the products you're describing are more ITSM applications, often aimed at MSPs. Are you an MSP? What do you want a single product to manage? The answers to these questions will massively affect the answers.

FWIW I have never encountered a ConnectWise-like application that is as nice to use (for agents and customers) for ticketing as something like Zendesk is.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

quote:

Type: Incident
Issue: Hit something, now my monitor is upside down.
Work Notes: Used Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow shortcut to fix, showed user how.
Final Resolution: 1080p

My new minion, folks...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:golfclap:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You're asking for a service desk but the products you're describing are more ITSM applications, often aimed at MSPs. Are you an MSP? What do you want a single product to manage? The answers to these questions will massively affect the answers.

FWIW I have never encountered a ConnectWise-like application that is as nice to use (for agents and customers) for ticketing as something like Zendesk is.

We are almost an MSP. We are the IT department for a company with a few subsidiaries and some different business units, treated like external clients. We also have some external clients but they aren’t the focus for this. Primarily we want to get a decent internal help desk to replace our existing one. My boss saw the extra things in Comodo and liked them so added to the feature Wishlist.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe ConnectWise does have a non-MSP, in-house IT version. Also, I haven't tried it out my my teammate raves about ManageEngine ServiceDesk.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

sfwarlock posted:

My new minion, folks...

Reminds me of that useless stupid shortcut to switch keyboard layouts. Just installed Win10 on my home laptop and of course I hit Ctrl-Shift or Win-Space or whatever at some point, only to find out when I try to type an email address and the @ button gives me " instead. :argh: gently caress you, just give me the correct keyboard layout and gently caress off!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

My new minion, folks...

Aww it's a keeper

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A phone call came in today. Some old lady who is running very low on tinfoil was Very Mad about our clientele.

Apparently I am a servant of the Antichrist because we provide services to government agencies and "the Zionist banking cabal".

She also got very mad when I informed her that policy prevents me from discussing our clients, including whether or not they are demons.

At least she said she'd pray for my soul. :)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

A phone call came in today. Some old lady who is running very low on tinfoil was Very Mad about our clientele.

Apparently I am a servant of the Antichrist because we provide services to government agencies and "the Zionist banking cabal".

She also got very mad when I informed her that policy prevents me from discussing our clients, including whether or not they are demons.

At least she said she'd pray for my soul. :)

Do you have a recording? :justpost:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Received the following via email:

"I cannot get into the COSTCO on line below. "

Yep I'll get right on that, buddy

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SamDabbers posted:

Do you have a recording? :justpost:

Nah, I wish. I don't have access to them, and we have to have a documentable reason to request them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Received the following via email:

"I cannot get into the COSTCO on line below. "

Yep I'll get right on that, buddy

you help that user RIGHT NOW

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, I wish. I don't have access to them, and we have to have a documentable reason to request them.
"My shrink doesn't believe me"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

"the Zionist banking cabal".

huh i wonder what that means

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Weedle posted:

huh i wonder what that means

Dementia. It means dementia.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And racism.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

null_pointer posted:

Dementia. It means dementia.

Yeah, that's why I mostly just politely indulged her ranting for a little bit, and then told her that there really wasn't anything I could help her with, especially since policy prevents us from discussing other clients.

It was an amusing distraction, if nothing else.

Word. Surprisingly other than that bit she wasn't overtly racist, so no real reason to terminate the call.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

And anti-semitism.

ftfy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

But aside from the overt antisemitism, she didn't seem very antsemitic.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

But aside from the overt antisemitism, she didn't seem very antsemitic.

She could at least have used the new hotness in covert anti-semitism, e.g. "globalists" :sadhasidim:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I learned tonight that it is an absolute travesty that this dude sometimes gets 100 ping in fortnite and just how can you expect him to play games with that awful latency, it's 2018 video games are a goddamned human right.

This is going to be my "bitching about gamers" thread now, hope ya'll don't mind.

Seriously, I do have other problem or dumb callers sometimes but the gamers are the most grating and most entitled.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 27, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Xboxes emit a gas that makes you stupid and entitled. It also causes compulsions to buy lootboxes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Garrand posted:

I learned tonight that it is an absolute travesty that this dude sometimes gets 100 ping in fortnite and just how can you expect him to play games with that awful latency, it's 2018 video games are a goddamned human right.

This is going to be my "bitching about gamers" thread now, hope ya'll don't mind.

Seriously, I do have other problem or dumb callers sometimes but the gamers are the most grating and most entitled.

My favorite is when they use ping/traceroute latency or timeouts to "prove" that there's a latency problem.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Xboxes emit a gas that makes you stupid and entitled. It also causes compulsions to buy lootboxes.

Not just xboxes; dealing with ~*~minecraft server admins~*~ at $OLD_JOB made me hate the game so much by association that I still can't play it without getting mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok I've had it up to my loving eyeballs with the complete shitshow that is MaaS360 MDM and need a replacement. I don't need anything fancy - the ability to lock down the iPad so users can't install apps, the ability to push apps to a group of iPads, the ability to "design" a home screen (our users are roughnecks in the field and the simpler we can make things for them, the better) and the ability to use non-DEP-purchased iPads if necessary using Apple Configurator. One nice to have would be an interface that was designed after the year 2000.

What do you guys use and why should I use it too?