Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«129 »
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

It always was

Garrand posted:

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Don't do any normal web speed tests. Make them UDP iperf3 to hurricane electric's server, there won't be any throttling of icmp/preferential treatment of speedtest.net.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

iospace posted:

I loving hate capitalism.

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
That's why I organize
On company time

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Arquinsiel posted:

Two of the worst local offenders of the crash/austerity economy are based in my datacenter and while I'd never work again I'd be a folk hero if I broke their poo poo.

I once learned that a tech-giant was too cheap to have 24/7 support on their hardware in the datacenter of my former employer when one of their switches crapped out.
Their throughput was cut in half because of it, you probably didn't notice it cause they had enough redundancy but still... that was 600Gb/s less capacity.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Insert xkcd about the license plate

There's a purple charger that I see on my way to work with a license plate like that. How many purple chargers do you see on a daily basis?

Seemed kind of short sighted to me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Grimey Drawer

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

I once learned that a tech-giant was too cheap to have 24/7 support on their hardware in the datacenter of my former employer when one of their switches crapped out.
Their throughput was cut in half because of it, you probably didn't notice it cause they had enough redundancy but still... that was 600Gb/s less capacity.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, and even if I did I wouldn't give specifics, but the spike in bandwidth use during prime time is ridiculous.

I realize now you're not talking about an ISP, but the amount of bandwidth we deal with is comical at times for situations like that. Like, yeah we're at .5% average utilization, but what if a redundant link goes down on national Netflix And Chill day? Let's bundle 8 ten gig links together just to be safe.

(Then refuse to invest in the physical infrastructure so the customer's service doesn't work half the time anyway)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

This is a fun little site to see how busy the (UK) Internet is https://portal.linx.net/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a fun little site to see how busy the (UK) Internet is https://portal.linx.net/

4.34 Tbps? You are like little child

https://ams-ix.net/technical/statistics

D. Ebdrup
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of sites that are a bit interesting, has someone made an alternative to internetpulse yet? Just so that it's possible to get some kind of taste of whether everything is broken or just some of it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

I use isup.me but that's only for websites

If you put your service status page behind a paywall then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Just subscribe to the nanog outages list