Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«143 »
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

We've got this thing licked!

Javid posted:

In 2018 I have to imagine there's some startup with an app that gives you a virtual fax number from which you can send and receive faxes without investing any space and/or effort in actually wasting cubic inches of precious oxygen on a fax machine in TYOOL 2018.

It's probably one of those things the big manufacturing companies watch out for and send large men with baseball bats to deter development. Unless they want to be kickstarting for their medical bills .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ten months later the
reactor is started.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

In TYOOL 2018, Office 365 still requires passwords of 8 or more characters with capitals, numbers and symbols. Had to come up with something fast for my new account but my password "gently caress You Micro$haft" did not work because it could not have spaces!

WTF Microsoft?

e: Are password rules set by the organization, or is this a system-wide thing for O365?
organisations can do their own password rules or use the default microsoft ones.

I believe o365 does, by default, not allow spaces.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

Jaded Burnout posted:

I wonder what sort of diagnostic accuracy they were expecting to get via fax

I would suggest Proton Mail but that may be beyond their capabilities.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably one of those things the big manufacturing companies watch out for and send large men with baseball bats to deter development. Unless they want to be kickstarting for their medical bills .

If it exists, HP or Cisco will buy it and ruin it.

Son of Sam-I-Am
Feb 12, 2002

Too complex to be tamed,
too great to be grasped.
You're one strange animal -
I am one too

Jaded Burnout posted:

I wonder what sort of diagnostic accuracy they were expecting to get via fax

Even a pristine grayscale printout is next to useless for that; I didn't even want to think about what a fax would look like.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

So, for once I have a non poo poo boss! It's time to grow and Storytime!

I'm actually happy about this, because this is the last conversation I had via email with my previous boss, who was thankfully deservedly canned. I ordered a $20 box of screws, and our receivables folks said they'd approve it and get my manager to approve it.

: "anus, what's this?" (forwards copy of approval request, CC's purchasing)
me: "it's an order for a box of screws."
"can you provide more details?"
me: "It's an order for a box of screws for network equipment"?
"can you please give me a better explanation?"
"It's a box of screws for network equipment because sometimes things are unboxed and deployed, and we end up needing screws to mount it".
Meanwhile, purchasing tells me they'd never seen ex-boss do something like that before.

Oh, and a more recent short one - verbatim, not involving a boss.
"We want to poll the core switch" (for a bunch of data and we have a monitoring suite already)
Me: "you should probably get a change control for that"
"What's a change control?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

via b3ta:

Merijn
Nov 7, 2005

not zef

Bleak Gremlin

God drat that last one is on point.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

It always was

lol my website has a huge nazi problem

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

Methanar posted:

lol my website has a huge nazi problem

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oh, and a more recent short one - verbatim, not involving a boss.
"We want to poll the core switch" (for a bunch of data and we have a monitoring suite already)
Me: "you should probably get a change control for that"
"What's a change control?"
Sounds like my current workplace. Apparently there is a change control process, but you just have to get lucky and hope a ticket to another group triggers someone who knows the Secret Password of Change Control. It's like a shadowy cult and I literally have no idea who has access or who sits on it. This stands in contrast to my last job, where we had a standing weekly meeting and everyone knew who the representatives from each group were.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Grimey Drawer

Two outages are in right now. An internal server preventing people from logging into databases, preventing reports from being ran, and an actual honest to god customer outage impacting a few thousand people.

One guess as to which one management thinks is more critical lol

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Is it the one involving the toilet paper or the coffee machine? Or is it the CEO's kids pet (insert computer here)

No tickets submitted, of course.

(From what you're saying its the internal server instead of the paying customer, right?)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

(From what you're saying its the internal server instead of the paying customer, right?)

of course

But this whole thing has devolved into a poo poo show.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Renegret posted:

Two outages are in right now. An internal server preventing people from logging into databases, preventing reports from being ran, and an actual honest to god customer outage impacting a few thousand people.

One guess as to which one management thinks is more critical lol

Trick question. Facebook was down earlier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Welp.

Turns out the new office phone number is the same as that of a well know courier company, but in a different area code. Fun times!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp.

Turns out the new office phone number is the same as that of a well know courier company, but in a different area code. Fun times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ode5ijIu-UQ

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2aEPq3--4

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s2ixp

Merijn
Nov 7, 2005

not zef

Bleak Gremlin

This is good, but I lost it at the last question.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Twitter posted:

We are currently managing a network incident impacting a number of customers

vas0line
Dec 23, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want to know how the logistics works of wiring a couple hundred drops and getting them to fall into the patch panels in a way that means the numbers are in the same order as the drops are out on the floor.

You don't, cos Facilities can decide at any time that they want to physically move desks around every 9 months with little warning and you never have time to keep your stupid map updated. *grumble*

But for real, I just gave up and rely on 802.1x/MAB with dynamic VLAN assignment. All the switch ports are configured identically. If I need to figure out where a drop terminates, i just tail the switch logs and plugcycle the jack:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

Brexit has come early for Twitter

«143 »