Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanatosian posted:

A friend also sent me a somewhat scientific thing about using punctuation in text messages being seen as cold or passive/aggressive, and I just sent him the Nick Fury "I recognize the council has made a decision, but it is a stupid-rear end decision so I have elected to ignore it" meme.

haha I've 100% encountered this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'll sometimes leave periods out of IMs or Text messages, unless I'm actually using two sentences. Exclamation points or question marks get used unless it's very very obvious I'm asking a question.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanatosian posted:

I discovered the other day that you can edit your most recent Teams/Discord message by hitting the up arrow, and that has been life-changing for me. :eng101:

A friend also sent me a somewhat scientific thing about using punctuation in text messages being seen as cold or passive/aggressive, and I just sent him the Nick Fury "I recognize the council has made a decision, but it is a stupid-rear end decision so I have elected to ignore it" meme.

You can also just type s/find/replace and hit enter without going into edit mode, and it'll find-replace your previous message!

Software dev field anecdote: When I'm on chime or slack or whatever I have to hard-remember to use punctuation when interacting with the older people because they seem to like it (I had one middle-management type complain that "this isn't texting" too ????).

I'm not used to using punctuation in this context and most of the others I interact with also do not, and I've found that doing so causes anxiety with the interns/new grads because they think they've hosed up and you're about to question them aggressively over code review, like a "wow you're doing great." vs "wow youre doing great" have to entirely different meanings, one taken to be said sarcastically while eye rolling

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Biowarfare posted:

You can also just type s/find/replace and hit enter without going into edit mode, and it'll find-replace your previous message!

Software dev field anecdote: When I'm on chime or slack or whatever I have to hard-remember to use punctuation when interacting with the older people because they seem to like it (I had one middle-management type complain that "this isn't texting" too ????).

I'm not used to using punctuation in this context and most of the others I interact with also do not, and I've found that doing so causes anxiety with the interns/new grads because they think they've hosed up and you're about to question them aggressively over code review, like a "wow you're doing great." vs "wow youre doing great" have to entirely different meanings, one taken to be said sarcastically while eye rolling
In my younger days, I definitely used to judge people for not typing properly/using punctuation, but I've come around to the "prescriptivism is stupid" school of thought; can I read it without having to think about it too hard? Great, no problem, doesn't really matter if it's a work IM or a text message or whatever. I have a thing about standardization, though, and while I definitely change the tone of the things I say depending on context, the way I type words, punctuate, and capitalize is gonna be the same every time. Using Oxford commas and semicolons in everyday text messages will be my old-person "not gonna change" hill to die on.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

In my younger days, I definitely used to judge people for not typing properly/using punctuation, but I've come around to the "prescriptivism is stupid" school of thought; can I read it without having to think about it too hard? Great, no problem, doesn't really matter if it's a work IM or a text message or whatever. I have a thing about standardization, though, and while I definitely change the tone of the things I say depending on context, the way I type words, punctuate, and capitalize is gonna be the same every time. Using Oxford commas and semicolons in everyday text messages will be my old-person "not gonna change" hill to die on.

:same:

as long as i can pick up what's being put down i don't really care

but as soon as you get more than one sentence in a message/line, you really gotta put a full stop in there. if you don't, poo poo gets confusing. also, apostrophes and commas are always required! "youre" just looks lazy; commas are the difference between "let's eat grandma" and "let's eat, grandma"

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
just use "your" anywhere you would use "youre"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you still have you're game's for sell?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I also use the Swype-style texting (Googling seems to say maybe "slide-to-text" is the technical term), where you don't lift up your fingers to type on the phone, and I don't know if it does this for everyone, but at least for me it automatically capitalizes and uses apostrophes; I know GBoard eventually learns your style (I've been using it for long enough that it even lets me curse, finally), so it's possible it's just the keyboard adapting to my particular neurosis.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Biowarfare posted:

:negative:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"ur" vs "u'r"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

God drat it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I also use the Swype-style texting (Googling seems to say maybe "slide-to-text" is the technical term), where you don't lift up your fingers to type on the phone, and I don't know if it does this for everyone, but at least for me it automatically capitalizes and uses apostrophes; I know GBoard eventually learns your style (I've been using it for long enough that it even lets me curse, finally), so it's possible it's just the keyboard adapting to my particular neurosis.

I've used SwiftKey (even before Microsoft bought it) and it's been fantastic above default mobile keyboard programs. Even supports input via swiping, if you're so inclined.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

I've used SwiftKey (even before Microsoft bought it) and it's been fantastic above default mobile keyboard programs. Even supports input via swiping, if you're so inclined.

Yeah, I've used Swype, Swiftkey, and GBoard, Gboard was the one I wound up settling on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biowarfare posted:

I figured this out by accident and was annoyed because it stopped me making s/find/replace jokes about the previous poster's message. It's like the Discord devs had literally never used a chat program before designing one.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thanatosian posted:

I discovered the other day that you can edit your most recent Teams/Discord message by hitting the up arrow, and that has been life-changing for me. :eng101:

:aaa:

I missed this, amazing, thank you. When I typo it’s almost never a mispel. It’s just the wrong ducking word I type like muscle memory is doing autocorrect. So I’ve been clicking that stupid edit button a lot.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Biowarfare posted:

Use you"re instead of you're

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

Use you"re instead of you're

You're a monster.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Canuck-Errant posted:

You're a monster.

You are to.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

I figured this out by accident and was annoyed because it stopped me making s/find/replace jokes about the previous poster's message. It's like the Discord devs had literally never used a chat program before designing one.

s\/find\/replace

Escaping the forward slashes lets you make the jokes still

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Just replace "your" "you're" etc. with "youse". It's universal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

y'all and y'alls

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yinz

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

y'all and y'alls

:hmmyes:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

y'all and y'alls

What about the polite formal "all y'alls"?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thanatosian posted:

Skype, too! I use it a lot.

Also I've long ago stopped using capitals when typing almost anything. If I'm using them correctly, it's only because I'm on mobile and GBoard puts them there automatically.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

You can also press Up to edit your last message in Slack, once you enable it via Preferences > Accessibility

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is it possible to have our laptops that staff use on all the units to not have access to netflix etc.?

:question:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Is it possible to have our laptops that staff use on all the units to not have access to netflix etc.?

:question:

We got a request like this from some higher-up in Sales at an old job and the official stance from the tech side was "Yes, we can block that easily but this is a management issue, not a technical one."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It amazes me sometimes how well stuff can compress...

I had a request to transfer 11GB worth of various CAD files from the computer of someone that was retiring to their replacement (who is in a different branch). It would have taken hours due to terrible upload speeds. So I ran 7zip at Normal against the entire folder. It compressed to 413MB. :stonk: Was not expecting that.

Edit: For comparison, the built in Windows ZIP handling compressed it to 3GB.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

I have and it's exactly as annoying to read as it is to hear. Most people do uptyping as "...", too.

There's a section lead I work with who ends all of her messages in IMs with ...

"Hey OJ... Can you look at this for me... someone from your team sent it over to us, and it needs to be reviewed again... thanks..."

It's pretty annoying.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a co-worker who does that. It feels like he's being passive aggressive all the time.

It's really exhausting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The one that gets me is when managers as you to something by using the word "if".

"If you could help promote the following code fix to UAT."

"If you could submit this report by end of day."

"If you could help X get access to Y."

Dude just please use the question mark and the phrasing that supports it, I mean "if you could use a question mark"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had a coworker in a previous job that used two periods.. Almost exclusively.. I could never figure out what that was about..

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My boss is notorious for creating tickets that just seem like they're mental notes for him, and are supposed to be typed out in full at a later point. Just 10-20 words without interpunction or caps and usually without a screenshot of the actual problem. We always have to coax it out of him.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

stevewm posted:

It amazes me sometimes how well stuff can compress...

I had a request to transfer 11GB worth of various CAD files from the computer of someone that was retiring to their replacement (who is in a different branch). It would have taken hours due to terrible upload speeds. So I ran 7zip at Normal against the entire folder. It compressed to 413MB. :stonk: Was not expecting that.

Edit: For comparison, the built in Windows ZIP handling compressed it to 3GB.

The main thing I take away from this post is that (presumably important) CAD files aren't on the network?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Merijn posted:

My boss is notorious for creating tickets that just seem like they're mental notes for him, and are supposed to be typed out in full at a later point. Just 10-20 words without interpunction or caps and usually without a screenshot of the actual problem. We always have to coax it out of him.

Sounds like tickets that need to be escalated.

To your boss.

Maybe copy/paste into a new ticket without their name on it and ask for help

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds like tickets that need to be escalated.

To your boss.

Maybe copy/paste into a new ticket without their name on it and ask for help

Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i am a moron posted:

Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

:2bong:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I get annoyed if people put a question in a chat without putting a question mark but then send a message afterwards with just the'?' in - it reads as if they are trying to hurry you up for an answer
Just remember that the shift and enter keys are right next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

u brexit ukip it posted:

The main thing I take away from this post is that (presumably important) CAD files aren't on the network?

There is normally no need to exchange data across branches in this manner. A one off thing.