Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Set it back up for 4:00, just got a 90 minute phone call and am getting an in-person interview

Two-hour in -person today. Got the tour and all that jazz. Half a half/hour “technical phone screen” with the MSP that helps them out next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Two-hour in -person today. Got the tour and all that jazz. Half a half/hour “technical phone screen” with the MSP that helps them out next week.

Nice! Is it completely out of the healthcare game, or still in it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

Nice! Is it completely out of the healthcare game, or still in it?

DoD/Aerospace

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Out of curiosity, does larches still post? Last I heard she had moved to Denver and found herself, and I was curious how thats going.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Out of curiosity, does larches still post? Last I heard she had moved to Denver and found herself, and I was curious how thats going.

I haven't seen her post in a while, but given what she tended to post about, that might be a good thing?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

She posted a couple times about the contrast her new job with a sane boss offered to her old situation. But not in these threads in a while.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

I haven't seen her post in a while, but given what she tended to post about, that might be a good thing?

Probably. I am less interested in more of her stories and more interested in her current events. I'm sure I'm not the only one to get wrapped up in her life

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Got paged today [sunday] to a critical issue from customer complaining that a data load is performing poorly.

As a test.

In dev.

Sighing deeply and dying a bit more inside I ping the customer and we do a screen share. He’s got a c5.8xl EC2 instance running MySQL and he has a JSON file of a couple hundred thousand records that he’s trying to load. He has written a little PHP thing that is literally looping over the file, reading the next record and inserting it into the database one record at a time.

He’s pissed that is beefy database server isn’t performing and he’s blaming the hardware. He’s pissed that he’s working on Sunday and somehow this is all my fault.

So I give him the method to bulk insert JSON and let him know that he and I will be having a best practices chat tomorrow about architecture, managed services, ETL, and case severities.

I would love my job more if I could magically enforce a “ignorant user” filter.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

Got paged today [sunday] to a critical issue from customer complaining that a data load is performing poorly.

As a test.

In dev.

Sighing deeply and dying a bit more inside I ping the customer and we do a screen share. He’s got a c5.8xl EC2 instance running MySQL and he has a JSON file of a couple hundred thousand records that he’s trying to load. He has written a little PHP thing that is literally looping over the file, reading the next record and inserting it into the database one record at a time.

He’s pissed that is beefy database server isn’t performing and he’s blaming the hardware. He’s pissed that he’s working on Sunday and somehow this is all my fault.

So I give him the method to bulk insert JSON and let him know that he and I will be having a best practices chat tomorrow about architecture, managed services, ETL, and case severities.

A test in Dev should not be able to page a Sr TAM, that blows.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

As a test.

In dev.

I feel like you should be eligable for a bonus, at the user's expense here. Like anything where an issue in dev is raised at an inapropriate level should have contractual penalties if it incurs out of hours support, on the grounds that they have degraded readiness for the 9-5 support team blah blah whatever, give Agrikk money.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not PHP
There's no way it's PHP
It was PHP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arquinsiel posted:

I feel like you should be eligable for a bonus, at the user's expense here. Like anything where an issue in dev is raised at an inapropriate level should have contractual penalties if it incurs out of hours support, on the grounds that they have degraded readiness for the 9-5 support team blah blah whatever, give Agrikk money.

Eh, the business pays enough money to get a TAM, they get the loving TAM without needing to hand out bonuses. I feel like where this broke down was both at the customer expectation level and whoever the gently caress paged the TAM. A TAM sucking it up and pleasing the customer after it has got that far is a TAM being a great TAM. A TAM doing off hours poo poo should already have a process to be compensated with whatever was agreed upon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You don't end up in this thread if your "should"s turned into "did"s.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

*reflects on entire career*

:(

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

It's not PHP
There's no way it's PHP
It was PHP

php is not really to blame for this, you could write the same thing in rust and have it be equally terrible

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Biowarfare posted:

php is not really to blame for this, you could write the same thing in rust and have it be equally terrible

never not do terrible perl scripts so that no one can read them

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

:drat:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Eh, the business pays enough money to get a TAM, they get the loving TAM without needing to hand out bonuses. I feel like where this broke down was both at the customer expectation level and whoever the gently caress paged the TAM. A TAM sucking it up and pleasing the customer after it has got that far is a TAM being a great TAM. A TAM doing off hours poo poo should already have a process to be compensated with whatever was agreed upon.

Not emptyquoting. The only time this should cause friction is if you're getting paged for bullshit reasons and there's no system in place to compensate you for that - but that's between you and your employer and should be in place way before you're getting on-call messages.

If your job involves taking out-of-hours escalations then would you rather it was for poo poo like this, or something that actually was your (as a company representative) fault that needed you to bring in other people to resolve?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RFC2324 posted:

never not do terrible perl scripts so that no one can read them

Especially yourself

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well poo poo, we're moving ERP system from Visma Contracting ( :norway: :suicide: ) to Microsoft Dynamics Business Central in 2022, that'll be fun...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biowarfare posted:

Ask me about learning python by parsing IDS reports :negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Data Graham posted:

Especially yourself

Write only programming languages are fun

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
when u absolutely positively need to escape that character

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A ticket came in:

"typical Mac user posted:

Hello, I am having trouble with my MacBook. for the past 2 days it would not turn on fully, so I reached out to apple and they helped with doing a master recovery. Now that my laptop is back working it is not fully functional. None of my Microsoft suite apps will open.

Well, no poo poo, idiot. You talked to Apple rather than talking to us first, they had you reload the OS, and now you hosed up everything.

edit: Jesus Christ, I need to get out of desktop support before I give myself an aneurysm.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

nexxai posted:

when u absolutely positively need to escape that character

this has happened multiple times to us too and im desperate to know why it's trying to quote so badly

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jewel posted:

this has happened multiple times to us too and im desperate to know why it's trying to quote so badly

I've occasionally had to write things like that to pass through a poorly written mass SSH utility, but I've never seen anything like that which I didn't make myself out of necessity.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

What they said: "Her email isn't logged in to connect to the credit union."

What I thought they meant: "The credit union has a weird application or webapp and her login isn't saved so she doesn't know how to log in."

What they actually meant: "Her default mail app got changed from Outlook to Mail and now clicking this mailto link doesn't open the window she expects."

They spent twenty minutes clicking this link in this Word doc, closing and reopening the Word doc, and even restarted the computer before reopening the Word doc and clicking the mailto link again. Nothing is working!!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Well it's been almost a half hour since this was supposed to start (over Teams)

Guy from the MSP called in sick, nobody told us :rolleyes:

Subbing in some other guy maybe? IDK

Me and the IT manager from the place are just chit-chatting for now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I need help for a thing, and can't find any kind of syntax validator for LDAP on the internet.

code:
(|(OU=Foo)(&(objectCategory=Group)(cn=Bar-*)))
Is this saying "any group from the Foo OU, OR any group that's name starts Bar-? Or should I do

code:
(&(objectCategory=Group)(|(OU=Foo)(cn=Bar*)))
I'm not sure which one is actually valid and sane(I think its the second one)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Well it's been almost a half hour since this was supposed to start (over Teams)

Guy from the MSP called in sick, nobody told us :rolleyes:

Subbing in some other guy maybe? IDK

Me and the IT manager from the place are just chit-chatting for now

Recruiter said they are going to make an offer tomorrow or Friday. :yotj:

I forgot what FSMO stood for. Their questions were weird. I wonder if it’s what that MSP asks their potential hires.

First round was bullshit like safe mode, how do you tell if an Ethernet cable is unhooked etc

Second was a couple basic networking questions like vlans and what is sip, how to get the dns server on a windows workstation

The last round was windows stuff that all started with “on a windows 2008 server…”

I joked about having nuked all those at least 6-7 years ago.

They mixed in some hilarious Monty python questions and “how many states does Canada have”, and a pirates of the Caribbean quote? Wtf

Afterward the slightly annoying recruiter called to ask how it went. Then asked questions like how would I rate the job on a scale of 1-10 (I said 8.5 because I would like more Linux stuff and more money like anyone would)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Recruiter said they are going to make an offer tomorrow or Friday. :yotj:

:yotj:

No more putting in tickets for physicians!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's awesome, Bob, congrats! I'm really happy for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

That's awesome, Bob, congrats! I'm really happy for you.

Thanks!

Also, the testing interview guy told me that 'netstat -r' was wrong, and 'route print' was how to show the routing table on a Windows server. I emailed him this morning (I've worked with that MSP before at previous employers) and showed him how the output in a command prompt for both commands matches. He said he'd update the testing material. There was another question they said was wrong, but wasn't, I can't remember what it was (something to do with Linux firewalls), but I've been enough of a pain in the rear end so far.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

kensei posted:

A test in Dev should not be able to page a Sr TAM, that blows.

The problem is that this customer has not evenly implemented AWS across its teams and what I mean by that is each team has been left to its own devices when it cones to AWS and our support of them.

So what ends up happening is that a new team crawls out of the woodwork and, unbeknown to us, starts slapping all kinds of poo poo together on their own. Then it breaks and we get critical paged because why not.

So after one or two of these we become aware of them and their project(s) and arrange for a proper onboarding.

I wish we could assemble every customer employee in a room and give everyone the onboarding talk all at once. Then repeat it every six months. Forever.

It would do a lot to cut annoying pages like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Thanks!

Also, the testing interview guy told me that 'netstat -r' was wrong, and 'route print' was how to show the routing table on a Windows server. I emailed him this morning (I've worked with that MSP before at previous employers) and showed him how the output in a command prompt for both commands matches. He said he'd update the testing material. There was another question they said was wrong, but wasn't, I can't remember what it was (something to do with Linux firewalls), but I've been enough of a pain in the rear end so far.

It feels like the MSP treated this interview as a bit of a dick-waving opportunity tbh. Who cares what FSMO stands for?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It feels like the MSP treated this interview as a bit of a dick-waving opportunity tbh. Who cares what FSMO stands for?

I explained that I knew that it has to do with domain controllers... I don't think they dinged me that bad for it. I mean I probably gently caress with domain controllers once every 4-5 years?

They also asked about "You get the following error on a domain controller when blah blah"

I said "I would google the event ID in the event viewer" :haw:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it sounds like a pretty awful interview tbh. Standard MSP stuff. Glad you're switching jobs, but don't plan on being there forever. Use it as a stepping stone to something better.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Everett False posted:

What they said: "Her email isn't logged in to connect to the credit union."

What I thought they meant: "The credit union has a weird application or webapp and her login isn't saved so she doesn't know how to log in."

What they actually meant: "Her default mail app got changed from Outlook to Mail and now clicking this mailto link doesn't open the window she expects."

They spent twenty minutes clicking this link in this Word doc, closing and reopening the Word doc, and even restarted the computer before reopening the Word doc and clicking the mailto link again. Nothing is working!!!

I hate the Mail app with a passion.

Almost every time we get a new employee it's the same. They log in to the PC just fine but can't get their mail to work because they're clicking on the Windows 10 auto-pinned Mail app instead of the nice Outlook icon that gets added to everyone's desktop.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can't you change the default/remove the icon with gpo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yay, it's time for not only harassment training at work, but InfoSec/Phishing training, too.
The harassment stuff is so cringe, but obviously idiots still keep failing to get the message, or I wouldn't have had to do this every year for the last 20 years or so...

I'm also tempted to report the phishing training email to InfoSec, since it comes from an external email address. Though, to be fair, all the links go to an internal website, and they did, IIRC, announce form an internal email (HR) that this email was coming. (I'm also IT, and knew we were starting up the campaign, though I'm not actively involved.)
I still don't want to take time out of my day for this.

PremiumSupport posted:

I hate the Mail app with a passion.

Almost every time we get a new employee it's the same. They log in to the PC just fine but can't get their mail to work because they're clicking on the Windows 10 auto-pinned Mail app instead of the nice Outlook icon that gets added to everyone's desktop.

This is why I unpin that damned thing on every PC I set up, and set the default apps properly. I even set the default for PDF to Adobe Reader, because having it come up in Edge seems to really confuse some people.

edit:

RFC2324 posted:

Can't you change the default/remove the icon with gpo?

I wish I could convince the people who handle this sort of stuff to, you know, actually handle it...
Guess I need to work myself up to the level where *I* can do it, because the fuckwit who's doing it now clearly doesn't actually deal with users, deployments, or possibly even use a PC.