Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I've been doing b2b hosting for a while, and this is pretty standard. I usually recommend a distro when people ask me to set up email stuff, but its not uncommon for them to insist on a personal email
My employer is currently small and new enough that the O365 Organisation Name is my boss's Firstname space Lastname. I presume a few years back the two founders flipped a coin to decide who setup the subscription and never got around to changing it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

My employer is currently small and new enough that the O365 Organisation Name is my boss's Firstname space Lastname. I presume a few years back the two founders flipped a coin to decide who setup the subscription and never got around to changing it :shrug:

Please tell me the tenant is also firstnamelastname.onmicrosoft.com.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Please tell me the tenant is also firstnamelastname.onmicrosoft.com.
I'm afraid it is not, sorry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool when people say things like "we will just rename that onmicrosoft.com domain to reflect the new company name"

Will you, yeah?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm happy that my bosses had the foresight to realise that they might want to have multiple brands all owned by the same company, so what we're currently trading as is actually a second domain added to the tenant. We were looking at adding a second brand/third domain but we realised there were better options for the work we intended to do with that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Vanity domains exist for this purpose.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gave my two weeks notice today, wondering if I get told to just log off for the next two weeks or what might happen. It's always a sticky situation when you have admin credentials, my boss has not had anyone leave in the last year and his boss is on a plane...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sickening posted:

Vanity domains exist for this purpose.
We're just going to let MSPs sell the product to their customers for us, and we'll basically sit there and take the cash. It's not the worst idea TBH.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone advocating for IPv6 in this thread is now my sworn enemy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IPv6 let me ssh to a host with misconfigured IPv4 settings, it was nice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can’t we compromise and do IPv5

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I still lmao about an email at a previous job where the network manager sent out to infra and basically the rest of IT stating that all applications going forward must be ipv6 capable. In 2010. Way to be forward thinking but just lol, lmao.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Data Graham posted:

Can’t we compromise and do IPv5
We kinda do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

devmd01 posted:

I still lmao about an email at a previous job where the network manager sent out to infra and basically the rest of IT stating that all applications going forward must be ipv6 capable. In 2010. Way to be forward thinking but just lol, lmao.

It's the only way to force things to move forward. Someone has to be the early adopter.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Volmarias posted:

Someone has to be the early adopter.

Not it

Like, in general though. Not specifically ipv6

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

devmd01 posted:

TBH by 2010 there wasn't any good excuse for anything new to not be IPv6 capable. Every OS that matters had supported it for years and it was commonly in use on mobile carriers by then.

Sure, there are a lot of areas where this kind of policy would mean you can't use anything because the entire market is made up of lovely vendors dragging along legacy tech or just being bad, but where real choice exists I am 100% behind considering v6 support a fairly firm filter.

As noted, step 1 of moving forward is to not add any new barriers to moving forward.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are loads of new fibre ISPs popping up here as a result of investors wanting to get in on the action, but they are so late to the game that most of them use CGNAT by default as getting enough IPv4 address space would be prohibitively expensive. This isn't a deal breaker, but a significant number of them are building brand new networks and not offering IPv6 either, so you have no way of establishing a direct connection to another host on the internet. Running CGNAT on IPv4 without also offering IPv6 feels like it shouldn't legally qualify as an internet service.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

There are loads of new fibre ISPs popping up here as a result of investors wanting to get in on the action, but they are so late to the game that most of them use CGNAT by default as getting enough IPv4 address space would be prohibitively expensive. This isn't a deal breaker, but a significant number of them are building brand new networks and not offering IPv6 either, so you have no way of establishing a direct connection to another host on the internet. Running CGNAT on IPv4 without also offering IPv6 feels like it shouldn't legally qualify as an internet service.

While technically correct, if 99,999999999% of the services are simple https transactions, what does ipv6 add compared to ipv4 cgnat? If it's transparent to the user, why adding complexity(a sizable chunk of consumer routers will crumble to dust if ipv6 is on)?

This is what all ISP think and given how few users clamor for ipv6, I'm not surprised at not being willing to rock the boat.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Running CGNAT on IPv4 without also offering IPv6 feels like it shouldn't legally qualify as an internet service.
100% agreed, internet service means I have at least one public IP address allocated solely to my connection, even if it is only a temporary allocation.

If it doesn't have that, it's just access to a network that happens to also have internet. It's AOL, and no one should want to be AOL.

SlowBloke posted:

While technically correct, if 99,999999999% of the services are simple https transactions, what does ipv6 add compared to ipv4 cgnat? If it's transparent to the user, why adding complexity(a sizable chunk of consumer routers will crumble to dust if ipv6 is on)?

This is what all ISP think and given how few users clamor for ipv6, I'm not surprised at not being willing to rock the boat.
Chicken and egg, the extreme asymmetry of most home broadband prior to fiber/DOCSIS 3.1 and the hassles of NAT have almost certainly limited the average user's exposure to things which would make them care.

I work in VoIP, and in the alternate reality where IPv6 was universal and NAT was dead we'd have all been able to make phone calls to SIP addresses that look just like email addresses and can map to any endpoint anywhere in the world with the same ease as forwarding an email for years. I've put a lot of effort in to making that work for me still to this day, but that's because I'm insane, no one else does this. In almost two decades in the industry I've made five calls to SIP URIs that weren't test calls, and received zero.

I forget if it was this thread or somewhere else but I think it was Thanks Ants who pointed out that any kind of video games that use peer to peer multiplayer architectures rather than centralized servers would greatly benefit from proper IPv6 support, and that's a potentially really loud market if they could be directed properly. Obviously any other kind of peer to peer network also benefits, though the media companies did a great job associating the term "peer to peer network" with piracy in the 2000s as far as non-technical users are concerned.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Have you considered that switching to ipv6 will require a lot of lazy people who are currently cruising will need to be retrained against their will?

Check and mate, ipv6 lovers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

Have you considered that switching to ipv6 will require a lot of lazy people who are currently cruising will need to be retrained against their will?

God, trying to explain to my 80 year old mother why she has to replace her router due to an ipv6 migration sounds like its own special hell

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

RFC2324 posted:

God, trying to explain to my 80 year old mother why she has to replace her router due to an ipv6 migration sounds like its own special hell

You're overthinking this. Just tell her what to buy, and say that she needs it because of new requirements. Why would you ever try explaining technology in that level of detail to someone who doesn't know or care?

Not that it's ever going to happen, I suppose.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ssb posted:

You're overthinking this. Just tell her what to buy, and say that she needs it because of new requirements. Why would you ever try explaining technology in that level of detail to someone who doesn't know or care?

Not that it's ever going to happen, I suppose.

Because my mom taught me to question all the things, a trait which has served me very well, and never stopped doing so as well. It was great til she just couldn't keep up with the rate of change anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RFC2324 posted:

Is the router 80 years old, too?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

RFC2324 posted:

Because my mom taught me to question all the things, a trait which has served me very well, and never stopped doing so as well. It was great til she just couldn't keep up with the rate of change anymore.

Fine. "They changed the way computers talk to each other on the internet, and your old modem/router/whatever isn't compatible with the changes."

If she questions you further, just start throwing RFCs at her.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Renegret posted:

IP addresses are longer now, what was ARP is now NDP, and DHCP serves a slightly different role.

Congratulations, you've learned all 99% of IT people need to know about IPv6. Basically everything else works exactly the same, just with 128 bit addresses instead of 32. I have no idea where this idea comes from that it's super complicated, as far as I can tell it basically comes down to people who are used to being able to easily remember a 10.x.x.x address for their favorite pet servers being salty about having to finally set up DNS because they can't remember fe80::b457:5342:50c5:d757.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everyone had to buy an adapter or a new TV when TV went digital; this would be similar in scope and problems.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, they did okay with the SD to HD television poo poo in the mid 2000s. Force everyone to switch by X date and it would be possible to migrate everyone to ipv6 with only minimal impact and knowledge that needs to be changed. The big thing is going to be ISP and telelcom adaptations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wolrah posted:

as far as I can tell it basically comes down to people who are used to being able to easily remember a 10.x.x.x address for their favorite pet servers being salty about having to finally set up DNS because they can't remember fe80::b457:5342:50c5:d757.
I am pretty sure this is the driving factor TBH. IPv6 traffic in a SOC context is also a mild headache, but one that nerds will just need to get over.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh god I make embedded gizmos for environments where every gizmo needs to know the IP4 of every other gizmo, no DHCP, no local DNS, static IPs that live forever. But it’s all local, so eh.

Anyway imagining all the UI boxes with IP4 manual entry boxes going to IP6 is hella lol. Especially because they’re usually called out by another guy across the room.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just assigned an /11 network in the 10/8 range to do a complete network overhaul :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ConfusedUs posted:

Everyone had to buy an adapter or a new TV when TV went digital; this would be similar in scope and problems.

believe it or not, a lot of olds are still mad at this. They're still out there using their old rear end converters on their prehistoric TV and get very angry at the ISP when they push some kind of encryption change that permanently breaks the converter. Sorry you need to buy a new $150 TV.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

It's not quite the same because I'm not saying we should turn IPv4 off - my beef is with the ISPs that don't offer IPv6 as standard, not with consumers who have routers that only talk IPv4. They can have their CGNAT service that they currently enjoy today if they want, and the natural attrition rate of poo poo consumer electronics breaking down will slowly ensure everything is IPv6-capable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not quite the same because I'm not saying we should turn IPv4 off - my beef is with the ISPs that don't offer IPv6 as standard, not with consumers who have routers that only talk IPv4. They can have their CGNAT service that they currently enjoy today if they want, and the natural attrition rate of poo poo consumer electronics breaking down will slowly ensure everything is IPv6-capable.

I'm sorry to report that ISPs are extremely impoverished and are unable to afford any sort of upgrade without substantial government grants.

Won't anyone think of the poor ISPs?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

Is the router 80 years old, too?

There are currently sold routers that don't fully support IPv6(ubiquiti unifi only support very specific configurations for instance).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlowBloke posted:

There are currently sold routers that don't fully support IPv6(ubiquiti unifi only support very specific configurations for instance).

Well sucks if you've been dumb enough to get suckered by Ubiquiti.

As Thanks Ants said, people are more than welcome to stay on CGNAT if they really want to, but I want IPv6 to be available as standard to everyone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Being able to continue to run the business without having to get into the office or in the event the office stops existing is so often seen as a niche thing that's not needed. Until it is and then people expect an entire work from home infrastructure to pop up within hours.

I'm catching up on the thread from ages, ages ago and this is the post I left off on :lol:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cassandra of the Thread award goes to Thanks Ants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think in this case we shouldn't thank Ants :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No thants.