Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

A Frosty Witch posted:

The hits just keep coming. The guy gets there to put in the patch panel and punch everything in.

Nothing works. The wiring guy is scratching his head. He has no clue why.

He sends this picture:

I just... there's pictures, my dude.

That’s the best thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It goes perfectly with the server rack full of Optiplex towers VDI environment

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Imagine what every jack on the other end looks like, lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I assume scorched, because a job like that has to bump mains power at some point to really be completed

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The inspection by the city is on Monday so buckle in buckaroos 🙃

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Frosty Witch posted:

The inspection by the city is on Monday so buckle in buckaroos 🙃

:munch:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Do they actually check that the panels are patched correctly?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No but the person doing such a rough job with the patch panels isn't suddenly going to be competent when it comes to running cable through plenum spaces, maintaining fire breaks etc.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

No but the person doing such a rough job with the patch panels isn't suddenly going to be competent when it comes to running cable through plenum spaces, maintaining fire breaks etc.

I told the owner that he needs to make absolutely sure the low-voltage cabling is up to code or they'll fail. He just kinda shrugged and said "I'm sure it's alright." I asked if the cabling had been certified and he assured me it had been. I asked the wiring guy and he said he'd need to Google how to certify cabling.

Tomorrow is gonna be a poo poo SHOW lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Frosty Witch posted:

I told the owner that he needs to make absolutely sure the low-voltage cabling is up to code or they'll fail. He just kinda shrugged and said "I'm sure it's alright." I asked if the cabling had been certified and he assured me it had been. I asked the wiring guy and he said he'd need to Google how to certify cabling.

I hope you're documenting all this poo poo you're calling out ahead of time because holy poo poo

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I hope you're documenting all this poo poo you're calling out ahead of time because holy poo poo

Thankfully A Frosty Witch is writing it all down here, for us!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Everything I've said here has been said in writing to the client. I've learned to get CYA on eeeeeverything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A Frosty Witch posted:

Inspection tomorrow:
"Yep, lights turn on, nothing caught fire, seems ok. Here you go."

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Years and years ago, one of our divisions is getting some recabling done. Most of it was adding new drops, and also extending fiber between buildings. One of my coworkers was on site to do voice stuff. He said he was in the network room watching one of the contractors finish punching down a panel. The guy would punch every cable down, pull out a tester, remove some wires, swap them around, and re-test. Turns out, that guy was color blind. Thankfully he was just finishing up a few drops, someone else did the majority of it.
Then when they go to plug the switches in, the fiber isn't working. Reseating the sfp doesn't help, or swapping the cord. Coworker opens the fiber bulkhead, sees that all those are in the right colors. Goes to the other building, and none of them line up to the other side. He gets the guy who was doing that, and he seems surprised that it matters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My dad tells the story of not being accepted onto the British Aerospace apprentice scheme because one of the tests was joining up a wiring loom and colour blindness meant an instant fail.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

My dad tells the story of not being accepted onto the British Aerospace apprentice scheme because one of the tests was joining up a wiring loom and colour blindness meant an instant fail.

Thanks Obama Thanks Ants's Dad!

thantsad

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

lol the inspection passed but he found out he was supposed to schedule like two other inspections and a certification of those inspections and he hasn't so he doesn't know when he can open. Oops.

In other news, I found out this morning that I was supposed to be making marketing material for a VoIP proposal this afternoon and uh... why? How am I suddenly responsible for making a pdf and script for a proposal meeting for a VoIP sale? Why not our marketing guy? Or our vCIO? Why me? I have all the charisma and artistry of a boot.

My job is to handle the migration and rollout. Not to sell the loving product.

I handed the task back to my supervisor with a firm "no thank you"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

lol the inspection passed
:captainpop:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I need to start taking cabling jobs apparently

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

holy gently caress

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm guessing this inspection is about "is this installation a fire hazard" and not "does this installation work."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

gently caress scanners.

edit or more accurately gently caress windows 11 and scanners.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Guess who just had a very public anxiety attack in the middle of a staff meeting and had to turn off her computer mid presentation hahaha

It never ends. It's never going to end. Every job is going to be worse than the last until I finally snap completely haha

I can't.

I think I need a break :unsmith:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

A Frosty Witch posted:

Guess who just had a very public anxiety attack in the middle of a staff meeting and had to turn off her computer mid presentation hahaha

It never ends. It's never going to end. Every job is going to be worse than the last until I finally snap completely haha

I can't.

If it's any consolation, this is the exact scenario that happened to me 3 weeks ago and have been on sick leave since. I don't know if your insurance plan has short term disability included, but if it did, I cannot recommend it enough. I've still been having panic attacks while I'm off, but they're WAY less frequent and I know that I made the right choice for my mental health.

I hope you feel better soon. ❤️

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get better soon, goons

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My insurance ends next week after I got laid off and my doctor being a bro increasing my anti anxiety dosage, and gave me 90 days with 3 refills saying to get them all now just in case.

He also gave me his personal email and said to email him if I have any medical questions if I'm not insured.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Frosty Witch posted:

I can't.

I just shut down my computer and left for the day because I started having panic attacks the moment I started work a few hours ago.

its a poo poo day, I think

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

I can't.

I haven't had one at work lately, but man, I hate those days when every new thing makes me wonder what it will take for me to snap. When it happens, I just hope I snap for real this time. I had a, um, bad spell in my 20s, and it mostly just manifested itself in a couple months of bad behavior toward people who had been my friends.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My secret is that I just have constant anxiety and panic attacks and I ride the wave like a cool and gorgeous pro surfer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its amazing, but I bet my anxiety would clear up if they would pay me a decent salary and I wasn't always stressed over that.

not bringing on trans hate groups as clients would be a plus too

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Inspection tomorrow:
"Yep, lights turn on, nothing caught fire, seems ok. Here you go."

A Frosty Witch posted:

lol the inspection passed

Called it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pretty sure my anxiety is why I was laid off. I was told that upper management thought it was unprofessional previously. It gave them a reason to get rid of folks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I got laid off the day I returned from my short term disability, which I took because of a massive mental breakdown.

So now I've got a couple months of severance pay and whatever unemployment pays out, while I try and find a new job.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chin up everything sucks posted:

I got laid off the day I returned from my short term disability, which I took because of a massive mental breakdown.

So now I've got a couple months of severance pay and whatever unemployment pays out, while I try and find a new job.
I feel bad about this username + post combo :smith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

currently wrapping up my own stint of short term disability due to mental health. high five guys we did it, we're all broken by our jobs. :smith: i go back on Monday.

today i handed in my resignation for 11/23 and couldn't be happier about it. gently caress it, is what I'm saying.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

And I didn't get the job I was interviewing for. Final selection, and they just decided they liked the other guy better for reasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

And I didn't get the job I was interviewing for. Final selection, and they just decided they liked the other guy better for reasons.

All the recruiters I've talked to since I got laid off has said the market has drastically changed in 3 weeks. The market is now flooded with IT people looking for work.

Frustrating.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are still more tech jobs (as a whole) than there are applicants, but the difference has slimmed down, massively.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have to gtfo from $currentjob asap, our newest client as very actively anti-trans. Says something about how the company feels about me that I can't stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I have to gtfo from $currentjob asap, our newest client as very actively anti-trans. Says something about how the company feels about me that I can't stomach

my employer has an inclusive care policy that covers gender affirmation