Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MREBoy posted:

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

https://youtu.be/TqZplJQU3Ak

fuckin' Digital Droo! My man!
Still have that in my playlist for a chuckle now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the worst dial translation I've ever had to deal with was for a customer whose the PBX at site A was supporting some SIP phones over VPN at sites B and C which were in small rural towns in the same area code as site A but calling from location A to location B or C was normally a long distance call. Which meant e.g. when someone at site B tried to dial another "local" number in the same small town they would get a message saying "this is a long distance call, please dial 1 first", because you're always actually "dialing out" as if you're at site A because that's where the actual trunks are. They could not get their heads around this and someone had manually gone in and added custom dial rules for all the "local" exchanges to prepend 1 and the area code when they were dialed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

the worst dial translation I've ever had to deal with was for a customer whose the PBX at site A was supporting some SIP phones over VPN at sites B and C which were in small rural towns in the same area code as site A but calling from location A to location B or C was normally a long distance call. Which meant e.g. when someone at site B tried to dial another "local" number in the same small town they would get a message saying "this is a long distance call, please dial 1 first", because you're always actually "dialing out" as if you're at site A because that's where the actual trunks are. They could not get their heads around this and someone had manually gone in and added custom dial rules for all the "local" exchanges to prepend 1 and the area code when they were dialed.
That type of configuration was something I often saw talked about in Asterisk books and in various VoIP PBX documentation but it always seemed like it'd be more trouble than it was worth compared to just terminating the calls out over the internet for that reason among others, at least by the mid 2000s when I got in to the industry. The only use case for that I really "got" was if an international company wanted to route calls across borders through their local branches.

In my entire career I've set up a VoIP PBX to send calls out local phone lines exactly three times. Once was just for 911 and the other two times have been when the client was still in contract on a PRI for a few months before we could port the number.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mllaneza posted:

It's actually from someone who had their mind broken by Rackspace's lackluster completely inept response to a multi-day Hosted Exchange outage. They just want their email dawg.
Sadly the user that opened that ticket's mind has only been broken by the ravages of age.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the hell is the name of that tool that when run downloads all info from your ESX environment and shows any alerts?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GreenNight posted:

What the hell is the name of that tool that when run downloads all info from your ESX environment and shows any alerts?

RVTools. drat, took a minute.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
As the only person on team, other than the owner, who has experience with VoIP migrations, I was volunteered a while back to be the one to handle VoIP projects. Not my favorite thing to do but it ties into client onboarding regularly so it makes sense.

In comes our biggest problem client I recently onboarded. They're huge, they're disorganized, and they have a collective chip on their shoulder that is staggeringly large. We're on thin with them because throughout the onboarding, they kept scheduling new construction and physically moving entire departments around without informing us, so we have a really hard time keeping their environment straight and they see that as a weakness on our part.

Anyways, they want to move to a new phone system. We are partnered with Cytracom so we sell them a solution. I go through my entire process (which has worked flawlessly with 4 other clients so far) and they are just obtuse every step of the way. I had to drag them screaming into scheduled meetings to configure the PBX and coordinate the port day and training. I asked a million times when the final day of their contract is and was told every time "It's the last day of December"

I took a much need vacation a few weeks ago and then came back after a week ready to schedule out the port a month in advance. While I was out, the client let us know the contract is running out on the 14th and wants to know where we are with everything.

Great.

I scrambled to get something on scheduled, gave Cytracom a week's notice that we want to port scheduled on the 7th and they agreed. I didn't hear anything else from them until the 5th when I reached out to ask about an update. "whoops looks like we need some clarification on some extensions. Once you answer these we can get this scheduled for the 15th."

gently caress that, their phones are getting cut off on the 14th. I threw a fit and made them assure me this would happen before the 14th. Our rep got involved and verified they requested the 13th and RingCentral agreed so it's officially going to port on the 13th.

It's the 13th. I'm on site. I'm ready for the port. I've passed out the new hardware. Everything is configured.

An email comes in.

"Congratulations, your port is scheduled for 12/15!"

UUUUUUUUUUGH.

I've been yelling at our rep all day. They wanted me to ask the client to request an extension from RC (they won't, they only do 1 year contracts renewals), and said they were just so sorry they dropped the ball. I told him that doesn't mean poo poo because we're going to lose our largest client over Cytracom's fuckup and I'm going lose my loving job in the process. I told them I don't give a gently caress what they have to rig up but by the end of the day we expect that when someone calls this business's main line, it will ring at reception.

I'm waiting for a response.

I'm so tired, y'all.

I cannot win.

Ever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You've got all these dates in writing from Cytracom right? Because it sounds like you should be using this time to forward it all to legal and tell them to prepare a suit in case your big customer drops you over this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it's hard to see how this comes back on you if you've done all the due diligence. Consequential loss or whatever is for your lawyers to argue with their lawyers about.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

And the client saying in writing that you had until the end of the month to get this sorted, right?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
After a lot of freaking out, I found out that the contract end date was the 14th but the billing cycle ends on the 17th. I verified with RingCentral that phones would be up and active until the 17th and they confirmed, so I breathed a sigh of relief that the port occurring on the 15th wasn't ideal but was still not an emergency.

I informed everyone and went back home. I laid down and closed my eyes.

An email came in.

It was from Cytracom. They put in an emergency request to have those numbers ported same day. Great.

I called the site and informed them that yeah the port might still happen, give me a call if they notice the phones stop working.

20 minutes later I got a call from the site that the port was underway. I got back in the car and drove back out to the client site. Spent the next 5 hours making sure everything was in order and planning next steps.

So everything worked out but I proceeded to crawl my account rep's rear end about how they let this happen. I did everything I was supposed to do exactly as I've done it multiple times before. My boss has a meeting with the client this morning about some concerns they've had with our service in general (they spent 6 months emailing an unmonitored email address and are mad we haven't been answering them). I've covered my rear end in case I come up as one of their concerns.

I'm not the issue here and I refuse to be made the issue.

As an aside, remember when I was a director? Remember when I had autonomy and freedom and only had to deal with one abusive boss instead of being at the whim of every egotistical numbers-driven business owner in North America?

I miss those days.

*fake edit* I also have a client in the Florida panhandle that, despite my having standing weekly meetings and being at their beck and call through text messages 24/7 for over a month, decided to email my boss and let him know that they don't like the service I'm offering and that they feel like I don't care about them and that I treat them like they're an afterthought. They've been quite intentionally vague and obtuse about the entire process and I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money that this just boils down to transphobia.

Once again, I'm tired.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 14, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

Hell yeah

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

A Frosty Witch posted:

Once again, I'm tired.

You know, we all have days like this, but it seems ludicrously unfair for you to have every day be like this.

A Frosty Witch posted:

:hellyeah:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

Heck, you got their hosed situation unfucked and now everything works despite significant customer and partner failure. The words I'd associate with you are "promotion", "raise", and "holiday".

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was talking with one of my coworkers and found out I make $30k less than everyone else with a similar experience/career age. In 3 years I've managed a 6% raise which put me at my original salary requirement.

I'm not asking for any more raises. I'm just keeping a low profile until I can get out of here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You shouldn't have to ask after this, is what I'm saying. It should just be given to you, with thanks.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Being appreciated for my work?

The dream :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol Rackspace's hosted Exchange is still down

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they even planning to bring it back up at this point? I thought they were just intentionally sending everyone over to O365.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm sure there are people who would quite like the contents of their mailboxes. They'd be better off at this point saying that their plan was to do that rather than ever run it as a mail service again.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure there are people who would quite like the contents of their mailboxes. They'd be better off at this point saying that their plan was to do that rather than ever run it as a mail service again.

"Here is an ost with all your crap on it, link expires in 24 hours, please go gently caress yourself, we never wanted your stupid business anyways."

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Fanatical Support

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks Ants posted:

I really really hope the place I used to work at did the forced move from Rackspace to O365 for all of their customers because if not there have got to be a few government entities in Texas that are super pissed right about now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jeoh posted:

Fanatical Support

:happyelf:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My father in law's small company just force moved from rackspace to 365, what's the chances of them ever getting historical email out of rackspace? Is it "dump all rackspace email still in outlook to pst and upload it" time?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Silly Newbie posted:

My father in law's small company just force moved from rackspace to 365, what's the chances of them ever getting historical email out of rackspace? Is it "dump all rackspace email still in outlook to pst and upload it" time?

That's more or less the solution until and unless Rackspace offers some kind of historic data migration.

Hint: They never will.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just thought of: "Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is Outlook. There are rules."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mark it read!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's the end of the year slowdown, time to complete those security trainings I've been putting off.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Knormal posted:

It's the end of the year slowdown, time to complete those security trainings I've been putting off.

Please don't post my diary

Weedle
May 31, 2006

B. Inform the stranger that they are speaking at an extremely loud volume and advise them to be more discreet in the future.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weedle posted:

B. Inform the stranger that they are speaking at an extremely loud volume and advise them to be more discreet in the future.

C. Earn your Christmas bonus early by selling it to a Darkweb Marketplace(tm)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
D. Send an email cc'ing all customers asking if it really is their information in the spreadsheet

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
A critical Palo vulnerability came in, affecting Exchange. Two clients forwarded it to us within 2 minutes asking if they were covered. My team lead responded within 15 seconds to each.

"You don't have exchange."

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Oyster posted:

A critical Palo vulnerability came in, affecting Exchange. Two clients forwarded it to us within 2 minutes asking if they were covered. My team lead responded within 15 seconds to each.

"You don't have exchange."

Exchange is down!? Well what are we paying you for!? Fix it!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Deuce posted:

Exchange is down!? Well what are we paying you for!? Fix it!

"We'll, AP is still trying to get you to pay the last two months invoices, so really you aren't paying us to do anything."

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I have been working on a switch patching project for a school district. It has taken about two months because they have no network management infrastructure and I stood up an ansible server and proceeded to learn ansible. It's pretty cool.

Managed to get the catalyst's automated via ansible but simply could not get the SG switches to work, of which they have 87. The SG's took an insane amount of work to even respond to ansible - turns out there is a special module for them, but it was never completed. Managed to work around the double username prompt on ssh with a setting in the gui, but no SG switch would accept software over tftp via cli, no matter the ftp server - ansible or tftpd - they kept saying destination file too small. Over GUI it's fine. Found a fix for catalysts with that issue by changing the ip blocksize, but SG's don't have an ip option.

So I called it a bug and rolled out a plan to manually update the SG switches. Finally sent it out for the final approvals, and they responded quickly to hold off, that they're looking to replace the switches with Merakis.

I had recommended trashing the SG's before any of this started. We also have meetings every Monday to discuss the switch patching project, and they never mentioned replacing them.

:kratos:

Oyster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 27, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cisco SMB switches are dog poo poo awful

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Cisco SMB switches are dog poo poo awful

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey Cisco switches are great while they're working.

Once they stop working though, not even god can save you.