Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I once had a datacenter that would routinely go down because of a router firmware bug thay caused a crash if 70% of the routers memory was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm going to revise my previous statement and say, if the Cisco switch is a Nexus, then gently caress that poo poo. Take it out back and give it the PC load letter treatment

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm fairly sure if you created an IP address conflict with the management interface on an SG500 switch it would eat up increasing amounts of CPU until it started to affect the switching part of the product.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

A LinkedIn Notifcation posted:

[CE] viewed your profile

:stonk:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Think of it as a chance to tell him your profile is not his concern.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh, I absolutely love it when old bosses and poo poo view my post transition profile, especially since most of those old bosses are in Texas

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I do a lot of DOCSIS work so we have a ton of CMTSs, split between a few vendors. We'll have 3-4 Cisco card failures a month, and 2-3 everything else failures per day. We're about half Cisco and half everything else which is pretty convenient.

The flip side of that is that every time there's a Cisco failover, something breaks. Every. loving. Time. Doesn't matter how well you check, there's usually some random multicast group or something that dropped. We have an ever growing confluence page full of obscure bugs and at this point my team is better at troubleshooting them than Cisco TAC is. The other vendors? Nothing. Always graceful.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the Cisco CMTS stuff what they got when they bought Scientific Atlanta?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't think SA ever made a CMTS. But unlike the Nexus line (which Cisco bought from another company), they run the actual Cisco IOS so the non DOCSIS stuff is familiar. Technically it's IOS XR but it lacks most of the XR features that makes XR so good.

Though we've been using Cisco CMTSs for as long as I remember, way before the SA purchase. The previous CMTS model from Cisco was a loving garbage fire though and I have nothing nice to say about them.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RFC2324 posted:

Oh, I absolutely love it when old bosses and poo poo view my post transition profile, especially since most of those old bosses are in Texas

I had one of my old bosses kick off an extremely sexual PM on Facebook because he thought I was pre-transition me's wife.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Think of it as a chance to tell him your profile is not his concern.

:golfclap:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

I had one of my old bosses kick off an extremely sexual PM on Facebook because he thought I was pre-transition me's wife.

Did you kick that back to HR? Even if you didn't work there anymore, that's so grotesque that he deserved some trouble out of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm fairly sure if you created an IP address conflict with the management interface on an SG500 switch it would eat up increasing amounts of CPU until it started to affect the switching part of the product.
Can confirm, and this behavior goes back to their Linksys heritage. Back when I started in VoIP we used SRW224P and SRW224G4P switches as our default choice for 100mbit PoE installs and ran in to this regularly because the drat things also defaulted to a hardcoded IP configuration (192.168.1.254 IIRC). You could deploy one mindlessly, then some time down the road another one gets added and it still works just fine immediately, but some weeks to months down the line everything starts flaking out.

Dealing with that was one of the things that made me an adamant supporter of DHCP reservations instead of hardcoded IPs. Nothing but the DHCP server and things necessary for DHCP to work should have a hardcoded IP.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Renegret posted:

I'm going to revise my previous statement and say, if the Cisco switch is a Nexus, then gently caress that poo poo. Take it out back and give it the PC load letter treatment

PC load letter? What the gently caress does that mean?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

blinking wide-eyed at my monitor rn

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wow, people are wild

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

That feels like a teachable moment.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hughmoris posted:

PC load letter? What the gently caress does that mean?

https://youtu.be/N9wsjroVlu8

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQdNbvSGok&t=5s

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I'm very tired and not very smart

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I missed the follow up to my own joke.

I have put shame upon my family

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Did you kick that back to HR? Even if you didn't work there anymore, that's so grotesque that he deserved some trouble out of it.

He was already retired

Arquinsiel posted:

That feels like a teachable moment.

It was! I taught his wife what a scummy piece of poo poo he is.

I guess the lesson took cause she has a different last name now :allears:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

A Frosty Witch posted:

I love a story with a happy ending.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

He was already retired

You are a beautiful human being.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Renegret posted:

I missed the follow up to my own joke.

I have put shame upon my family

'tis okay, I've watched that movie more times than I care to admit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

A Frosty Witch posted:

You never fail us.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

A Frosty Witch posted:

Yuck.

A Frosty Witch posted:

High five!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A Frosty Witch posted:

You legend! :sun:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I have a screenshot of it on some old backup somewhere, but his last message to me like 3 months later was just "gently caress you"

I responded "you tried to, remember? that's what got you into this mess" and blocked him as soon as I saw the read receipt.

Felt good, ngl.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

500 pages and four years old. New thread time?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Frosty Witch posted:

I have a screenshot of it on some old backup somewhere, but his last message to me like 3 months later was just "gently caress you"

I responded "you tried to, remember? that's what got you into this mess" and blocked him as soon as I saw the read receipt.

Felt good, ngl.

Yesssssss

I don't get many inappropriate comments, just looks when its in person luckily.

And one of my old bosses rewrote her letter of recommendation which was absolutely legend of her

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

kensei posted:

Start the new thread on New Year's Day

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

kensei posted:

Only if a venerable goon such as yourself makes it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

kensei posted:

Please do the needful

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

do the nerdful

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
[SPAM] FW: RE: The logs could do with a courtesy flush FINAL(2).doc.bmp

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Renegret posted:

Hey Cisco switches are great while they're working.

Once they stop working though, not even god can save you.

We just finished a network overhaul, replaced some 10-20 year old cisco switches, still running, in a filthy factory setting where any surface has a healthy coat of plastic dust, surviving tons of reboots/power outages.
My experience with them has been absolutely solid.

Many running old rear end firmware too.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Start the new thread on New Year's Day

Of course

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Only if a venerable goon such as yourself makes it.

Thanks LOL

A Frosty Witch posted:

Please do the needful

Of course my lady

Winifred Madgers posted:

do the nerdful

haha

Kurieg posted:

[SPAM] FW: RE: The logs could do with a courtesy flush FINAL(2).doc.bmp

Winner

I'll put in the change order, someone approve it please

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sorry, we're in a change freeze until the new year

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

I have an exception from the janitors, please do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted: