Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

bitterandtwisted posted:

What's a good servicedesk platform?

We're a holdings company and some of our companies are looking to set up servicedesks for completely different reasons. Let's say one sells eggs and one does engineering.
I'd like these to all be on the same platform for ease of management, but for each company or group to have separate boards so the egg sales team doesn't see the engineers' tickets.
SAML SSO would be a big plus, as would a good asset management system

The feature you are looking for is called Domain Separation. I use ServiceNow, but it's not really people's favorite tool here because it requires a knowledgeable team in both process and the tool to make it work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress ServiceNow hard. Last place I was in transitioned to it before I joined and literally nobody in the building knew how to use it. Tickets to get me access to my team's network shares are probably still open two months after I left the place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ServiceNow suffers from the same problem so many other highly customizable software suites do: It absolutely needs to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing, and in a larger organization you probably want someone managing it full time.

But it's usually sold as a solution to all your problems installed with default settings and left unmaintained, unloved and largely unusable, which gives the product a reputation for being lovely and too complex because it hasn't been trimmed down to your specific needs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

ServiceNow suffers from the same problem so many other highly customizable software suites do: It absolutely needs to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing, and in a larger organization you probably want someone managing it full time.

But it's usually sold as a solution to all your problems installed with default settings and left unmaintained, unloved and largely unusable, which gives the product a reputation for being lovely and too complex because it hasn't been trimmed down to your specific needs.

More or less exactly this, if you have the ability to hire a good service now dev/admin, it can be a wonderful way to automate and handle tons of stuff, and interface with HR and service desk, and get an ITIL framework set up to do things better. Out of the box it's a horrible kludge of every single cool thing they could think of, set up by a retard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Whoever set up that one made it worse than out of the box then, because I never worked out how to close tickets after work was complete and they were sent back to me for confirmation. Having multiple managers for tickets to route through for approval often just resulted in the managers never approving anything because somewhere along the chain one of them wouldn't even know they had to. The helpdesk dudes just gave up eventually, because "open a ticket" was invaribly met with "okay... how?" from the various other tech teams. I felt bad for them really, because at least I didn't get many tickets coming my way.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We're rolling out ServiceNow this year. Luckily they're not planning on trying to migrate the old ticketing system into it, just going with a fresh start. We've hired an admin for it and brought in some company to roll it out for us, so hopefully they're doing it right.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

100% true. We've been using it less than a year, but we have a highly responsive dev teams for it who are correcting features for the workflows that exist. But they rolled it out with some awesome bugs from not knowing it.

For the love of all things, do not ever reuse state codes between ticket types in ServiceNow. List filtering will break in spectacular ways that will make teams that have to do multiple ticket types hate you (It's me, I hate you.) Filtering out "Closed" Changes could also suppress "Pending" Incidents if both codes have the same integer value. Depending on the view. But sometimes you need to see ALL of your concurrent workload.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

Filtering out "Closed" Changes could also suppress "Pending" Incidents if both codes have the same integer value.

Good grief.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Sheep posted:

Good grief.

I had a sense that that particular problem is implementation dependent. I have no idea what ServiceNow straight out of the box looks like. But our initial rollout had this issue. It probably can be set up to make the multiple-type views be useful but it is a bigger effort (reserve ranges of nonconflicting values, or make sure "Closed" is the same number for all ticket types.) This is just one possible issue, by the way.

A lot of people will say it's just a product that has to be used with views of one type of ticket only (just Changes, just Incidents, etc.) These people have lost sight of the width of responsibility an operations group can have.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

18 Character Limit posted:

100% true. We've been using it less than a year, but we have a highly responsive dev teams for it who are correcting features for the workflows that exist. But they rolled it out with some awesome bugs from not knowing it.

For the love of all things, do not ever reuse state codes between ticket types in ServiceNow. List filtering will break in spectacular ways that will make teams that have to do multiple ticket types hate you (It's me, I hate you.) Filtering out "Closed" Changes could also suppress "Pending" Incidents if both codes have the same integer value. Depending on the view. But sometimes you need to see ALL of your concurrent workload.

We have the same issue. Your admins will need to update the integer values for each state within each "task type." However, they would have to go update all scripts and workflow which are using the existing integers.

My assumption is you are trying to list filter straight on the "tasks" table which will cause your issue.

If you need to see all of your concurrent work, I recommend you create separate reports for each task type and throw the reports on a homepage. At my org, the teams handle Incidents and Requests so would use the "Incident" table and "Catalog Task" table for each report. Your org may differ if they decided not to use the OOTB ticket model for Requests.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/952371682588717056

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Deleted. What was it?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

You ALWAYS screen shot poo poo, You never just link right to it. Anything good gets removed or deleted.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The protective boot causing even more headache than it currently does.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're buying lovely cables you only have yourself to blame.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're buying lovely cables you only have yourself to blame.

Yeah you can just make your own cables without boots. :can:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Assuming the cables were already bought, couldn't you just snip the offending bit of rubber off that one boot with a pair of scissors?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Why would they delete that post? It seems completely unoffensive, in every way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It didn't turn the power off, it just wiped the config and to be honest once it happened once you'd realise what was going on. lovely design but then so are most booted cables.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Speaking of, we're moving to ServiceNow. Anyone have a good resource to learn it?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Probably because it was from 2015, not 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

null_pointer posted:

They're scared of network booted Nazis

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

minusX posted:

Speaking of, we're moving to ServiceNow. Anyone have a good resource to learn it?

drat near our entire business runs on it, from IT and HR to all of the field service technicians. Thankfully all I have to do is deal with change/incident, but at least half of our developers are servicenow focused.

The UI is a mess and nothing makes any god drat sense, so I’ve learned how to do the bullshit I need to do and that’s it.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

minusX posted:

I bought this book - Spinning Up ServiceNow: IT Service Managers' Guide to Successful User Adoption. I've used a lot of the ideas in my organization's instance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1484225708/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are going to be an admin or dev, setting up your own free personal instance is the easiest way to learn by signing up on https://developer.servicenow.com/.

For other resources, you can also read https://www.servicenowguru.com/ or https://docs.servicenow.com.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

oh rly posted:

I bought this book - Spinning Up ServiceNow: IT Service Managers' Guide to Successful User Adoption. I've used a lot of the ideas in my organization's instance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1484225708/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are going to be an admin or dev, setting up your own free personal instance is the easiest way to learn by signing up on https://developer.servicenow.com/.

For other resources, you can also read https://www.servicenowguru.com/ or https://docs.servicenow.com.

Thanks a lot!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

drat near our entire business runs on it, from IT and HR to all of the field service technicians. Thankfully all I have to do is deal with change/incident, but at least half of our developers are servicenow focused.

The UI is a mess and nothing makes any god drat sense, so I’ve learned how to do the bullshit I need to do and that’s it.

Honestly, that's going to be on your developers. The whole thing is super flexible and customizable, which is what makes it such a huge pain when it gets half-assed.

We also use Service Now for a *lot* stuff, from Help Desk to Eng. escalations to Incident Response (and I think we'll be using it to track project deliverables soon too). We actually like it a lot, but it took about a year with stake holders in each department giving extremely detailed requirements and feedback to get it to the point it's at now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A Ticket Came In: please can the NHS mail merge system stop being so culturally Marxist.

https://twitter.com/giuliana_london/status/952817509266313216

Seriously, though, there’s no evil trans plot. Just a computer system that likes to invite me to get my non-existent cervix screened for cancer. :shobon:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

minusX posted:

If you're going to be playing admin, I do recommend taking a class or two, if your company will pay for it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

If you're going to be playing admin, I do recommend taking a class or two, if your company will pay for it.
I won't be! Just wanted to try to get ideas since we're moving from one system to another and some people were talking about issues. My supervisor will have company training on it, and we're having it built for the company vs just throwing up the defaults, thankfully.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

minusX posted:

I won't be! Just wanted to try to get ideas since we're moving from one system to another and some people were talking about issues. My supervisor will have company training on it, and we're having it built for the company vs just throwing up the defaults, thankfully.

Yeah you're in a good position, then!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Should/do local administrator rights interfere with wsus policy/whatever in which patches get applied?

Edit: our IT guy in charge of this stuff needs a good dose of cloud-to-butt

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 15, 2018

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Data Graham posted:

And you know they'll all just magically get faster afterwards, for an unrelated reason.

Systems have 8GB RAM and 500gb WD blues in there already. If the RAM usage is maxing out at maybe 50%, why throw another 8GB in?

Will the SSDs improve the performance of their local system? Yes.

Will the SSDs fix the 'speed' issues they are having? I dont think so. I was onsite swapping out the DB9->Ethernet adapters the use on site and sat down with the receptionist and hammered out the issues. Most of the office has issues with the practice management app which is hosted on the server. The only PC showing non server based app issues is one of the doctors, but he has chrome with over 25 tabs open. The SSD may help him, but also a "why do you need 50 tabs open" conversation may also fix the issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

I was onsite swapping out the DB9->Ethernet adapters the use on site

Wait. What?

People still use those? They still make ethernet cards that use them? You have computers that need ethernet cards?

E: Just to be clear. You're referring to this?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 16, 2018

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Wait. What?

People still use those? They still make ethernet cards that use them? You have computers that need ethernet cards?

They have a 15 or 20 year old sterilizer. Boss ran a dedicated Ethernet cable with two DB9->Ethernet adapters to manage the log dump.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

They have a 15 or 20 year old sterilizer. Boss ran a dedicated Ethernet cable with two DB9->Ethernet adapters to manage the log dump.

Oh, OK.

I was reading that as all your clients were using them. Not as a one off for a specific device.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, OK.

I was reading that as all your clients were using them. Not as a one off for a specific device.

It worked for three months and died... two years ago and nobody noticed. So I replaced the ones on site and its still broken, we think it is a dead serial board in the sterilizer now so the doc has to figure out if its worth fixing or just repalce it.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hahaha internal hiring manager message came in from indeed including this line at the bottom:

recruiter posted:

If you are interested, please get in touch with me. 
Our mail server is down now (and we are planning to migrate very soon anyway). So it might be a couple days before I get any emails. 

Sounds great and not like a dumpster fire at all where do I sign up!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

blackswordca posted:

I dont think so. I was onsite swapping out the DB9->Ethernet adapters the use on site

Proteus Jones posted:

E: Just to be clear. You're referring to this?

I'll be that guy and point out that these have nothing to do with ethernet. They're properly called DB9<>8P8C adapters and though technically incorrect DB9<>RJ45 is also acceptable since everyone calls 8P8C RJ45 and we all know what it means. It's still RS-232 signaling the whole way through. Ethernet just also happens to commonly use 8P8C connectors.

This is a RS232<>Ethernet adapter: https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Serial-over-IP/1-port-RS232-serial-over-ip-adapter~NETRS2321P

If you need one and get the other you're going to have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Assuming the cables were already bought, couldn't you just snip the offending bit of rubber off that one boot with a pair of scissors?
I just tear those things off on principle now when I come across a cable with them. Usually they have little clips on them, no scissors needed. Maybe they're good in a data closet where you really need to make sure a cable's not going to come out, but when you're reaching behind a user's PC trying to unplug the network cable while avoiding the gauntlet of family photos, paperweights, seashells, and whatever else is around their computer, gently caress them.