Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

monsterzero posted:

I know it's our lot to suffer but I still want to push the rock up the hill.

How are tickets submitted? If the ticketing system has a web portal, make them use that and mark some fields as required, where they have to enter details. Even from a dropdown menu is a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PirateDentist posted:

May 2011 and June 2015 was when they had "something" happen on their network, the only other things we know of were a few vulnerabilities that were found by researchers.

Word on the street (aka, from our internal security team, because guess whose corporate overlords thought Lastpass was the best choice for our internal password vaults :getin:) is that the 2015 breach loosed a bunch of salted hashes, but not anything that could unscramble them.

Allegedly. Don't trust me, definitely don't trust any company's security folks without questioning.

That said, we were all directed to change our master Lastpass PWs ASAP.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I sat through half an hour of this before it hung up on me once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd-iUrqGMU

Video is unavailable?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Word on the street (aka, from our internal security team, because guess whose corporate overlords thought Lastpass was the best choice for our internal password vaults :getin:) is that the 2015 breach loosed a bunch of salted hashes, but not anything that could unscramble them.

This depends greatly on the quality of the passwords and if someone bothers to try and crack your password specifically.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Video is unavailable?

It worked earlier but doesn't now. 30 seconds of annoying, tinny, compressed music, you didn't miss much.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
Is there any way to find out why gmail keeps thinking a particular email is spam? One of my users has an email stationery that they occasionally send to external users, maybe 2-3 people per week. Nothing crazy, just a couple small images and some text about scheduling a meeting. Every time they send the email to a gmail address (or domain that uses g suite), it goes straight to the recipient’s spam.

I’ve tried modifying the text slightly, modifying the images, sending from a different email address... Always straight to spam and I’m running out of ideas.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Funddevi posted:

Is there any way to find out why gmail keeps thinking a particular email is spam? One of my users has an email stationery that they occasionally send to external users, maybe 2-3 people per week. Nothing crazy, just a couple small images and some text about scheduling a meeting. Every time they send the email to a gmail address (or domain that uses g suite), it goes straight to the recipient’s spam.

I’ve tried modifying the text slightly, modifying the images, sending from a different email address... Always straight to spam and I’m running out of ideas.

If they're sending from their own domain, you'll want to ensure that the domain has the correct SPF records in its DNS, although apparently using a PTR record for the associated IPs goes a long way too.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

bell jar posted:

If they're sending from their own domain, you'll want to ensure that the domain has the correct SPF records in its DNS, although apparently using a PTR record for the associated IPs goes a long way too.

SPF records are good, and PTR records for the domain and spam filter’s hostname look correct. It’s odd because it seems like only this email that’s causing issues. Other emails to gmail addresses seem to get through fine.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Maybe the problem is "email stationery"

HTML should never have been put into email.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Funddevi posted:

SPF records are good, and PTR records for the domain and spam filter’s hostname look correct. It’s odd because it seems like only this email that’s causing issues. Other emails to gmail addresses seem to get through fine.

Is there anything in the formatting of the text that could throw a flag? For example, our old corporate sig block had a non-alphanumeric character for decorative effect (I forget the UTC code for it, but it was something weird that no one has used since the Victorian era), and anyone with the old sig block got flagged as spam until we figured it out.

The best part is we use Gmail as our enterprise mail solution, so the blocks were coming from inside the house. Super annoying.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

SamDabbers posted:

Maybe the problem is "email stationery"

HTML should never have been put into email.

This would be my guess. Strip the bullshit and see if their messages go through.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
We end up blocking some legit email just because the font used allows for Russian characters (even if the offending email doesn't actually use Russian characters).

Barracuda may just be paranoid, though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm remoted into this person's computer to figure out why the document management addin in Outlook won't connect, find Outlook is throwing a metered connection warning and figure that's it. To get around this since there is no loving way to disable this thank you MS I abuse the fact that if another product is connected already, like Word, then Outlook will force connect to the system.

I tell them hey open Word then Outlook and you'll be fine. They respond with "could you write the steps out and email it to me?"

...No. No I can't.

edit: They were on a cell hotspot, hence the temp fix for a temp situation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I assume you're updating the ticket with your solution.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

How are tickets submitted? If the ticketing system has a web portal, make them use that and mark some fields as required, where they have to enter details. Even from a dropdown menu is a start.

Intern texts their boss, boss calls asking, "Why is the server down?"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Video is unavailable?

Weird, it was there last night.

Here's a quiet recording.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

RE: proper ticket submitting - I once submitted a ticket for a bug in Mozilla years ago, and I liked that the default text in the box was basically:

quote:

Please describe the problem:

Please list the steps to reproduce the problem:

What did you expect to happen:

What actually happened:

This communicates really clearly to the user that they need to know how to reproduce it, what went wrong, and what is the correct outcome.

iospace posted:

I've been making GBS threads my resume and poo poo all over the internet the last couple of weeks. My default setting is 32 CHARACTERS OF gently caress YOU for KeePass.

If you won't let me use this, I get really annoyed at you.

:allears: What does the 'high ANSI characters' thing add? Emojis?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A complaint came in:

we have a weird arrangement where we rent our phone extensions - they've always been a big mess and no one engages me when I say lets tidy up these expensive things that we don't need...

so I got to the point where I said I'm cutting all these lines off unless you tell me you need them by date X

I cut off a conference phone - probably because no one knew the number - not the end of the world - but it is used for some important legal conferences.

I did retain some spare numbers for this eventuality so got my helpdesk guy to go patch one in - hurrah.

they then call on the day of a legal conference thingy and tell us nope still not working.

helpdesk guy comes back frustrated and angry (the user is difficult to be fair)

then we get ANOTHER ticket that the phone STILL isn't working for the next legal conference thingy - I did speak to helpdesk guy but he started doing that thing where someone thinks they are about to get told off and they lie. I try to tell him I don't really do tellings off so just tell me what happened but he didn't take the offer. I get irritated and go look myself - he then gets uppity because he knows I'm going to find an unfinished issue so I know I'm on the right track here.... grr!

The user demonstrates the data socket he used is loose and just needs replacing - done, problem solved hurrah - it took all of 2 minutes.
helpdesk guy is alleging that the user acknowledged the phone worked at the time but to me it is coming across as he knew there was an issue but talked someone into saying fine (something is up - this is the investigation tbh)

The legal people involved in this were important 3rd party dudes and complained to the boss. I now have to investigate/formally answer/grovel.

As much as I said I don't do tellings off I think he needs to see this formal legal complaint and the things I moan about are not just me being an annoying boss haha.

Happy Friday :D

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Merijn posted:

According to what appears to be a developer, "Unicode range [U+0080, U+00FF] except control and non-printable characters".

Edit: apparently it boils down to "Latin and Latin-1".

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 18, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Merijn posted:

This is what it spit out as an example:
dGHPôjÍK´þ1©¹¹nNàýÚû I¾¿û©Qů{À¡

So pretty much "gently caress all your attacks."

And no, I'm not going to use that. I generated that one for the sole purpose of demonstrating it here :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Merijn posted:

This communicates really clearly to the user that they need to know how to reproduce it, what went wrong, and what is the correct outcome.

This is vital, because otherwise techs might spend ages looking for a problem when someone reports slow internet, when the only problem is that they subscribe to a slow service.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
it's slow

i expect it to be unslow

*has 500 excel spreadsheets open*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

it's slow

i expect it to be unslow

*has 500 excel spreadsheets open*

actually in my experience, the user has nothing open, there's nothing wrong with the computer, and the problem is imaginary

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Renegret posted:

actually in my experience, the user has nothing open, there's nothing wrong with the computer, and the problem is imaginary

One of my guys is fighting this with some people who complain about Excel being slow.

STOP USING AN .XLS THAT'S ON A SMB SHARE ACROSS THE COUNTRY THAT ALSO LINKS TO A DOZEN OTHER SPREADSHEETS ALSO ON THAT SHARE, FFS.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlternateAccount posted:

One of my guys is fighting this with some people who complain about Excel being slow.

STOP USING AN .XLS THAT'S ON A SMB SHARE ACROSS THE COUNTRY THAT ALSO LINKS TO A DOZEN OTHER SPREADSHEETS ALSO ON THAT SHARE, FFS.

In my time working at geek squad (I know I know), "My computer is slow" usually means that the customer's mad that their brand new $300 netbook doesn't boot as fast as a Macbook with a SSD and grinds to it's knees when trying to watch one of these brand new never before seen 1080p youtube videos.

Meanwhile my boss was in the background pressuring me to sell a $150 virus scan even though I know drat well it's not going to do anything to help.

This one guy with a $450 HP Desktop I basically had to refuse service to because he kept coming back and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the thing, and "your computer's a piece of poo poo" wasn't a good enough answer.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 18, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Renegret posted:

I once had a work computer that would just randomly decide to use more than 100% available RAM for svchost.exe and force the entirety of Windows to run off of 5400 rpm hard drive swap. Without needing to be running a million programs or having installed anything, this was just a freshly imaged computer from their stock.

Opening explorer took 30 seconds for it to start drawing the window and 2 minutes for it to finish and then start filling out the contents of the folder. Opening task manager took a minute and a half. Rebooting alleviated the problem for roughly 15 minutes, but when the reboot itself takes longer than that, it's not really that viable of an option.

Finally had a tech come by to look at it, and of course it was behaving properly. But at least I had screenshots of the issue, so he said to just lync him when it happened again and he'd remote in. When it happened again it took 10 minutes for the remote session to establish.
To this day we don't know wtf was going on, but after he re-imaged it again it was working fine. :iiam:

What I'm trying to say is: sometimes "it's slow" and "I expect it to be not slow" are valid. But most of the time they're just caused by having 50 toolbars in IE and a Bonzi Buddy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
We began having a bunch of remote workers this week. We've gotten three or four calls that are "my phone and this software that is incredibly sensitive to any sort of network interruption aren't working." "Well, are you having any other network issues?" "No, Netflix is working fine."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

dGHPôjÍK´þ1©¹¹nNàýÚû I¾¿û©Qů{À¡
Brb, using this password everywhere. It's clearly more secure than the one on https://mostsecure.pw/

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D. Ebdrup posted:

Brb, using this password everywhere. It's clearly more secure than the one on https://mostsecure.pw/

wowie that is one secure password. Brb while I change my forums password, where my username is "renegret"

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

We began having a bunch of remote workers this week. We've gotten three or four calls that are "my phone and this software that is incredibly sensitive to any sort of network interruption aren't working." "Well, are you having any other network issues?" "No, Netflix is working fine."

every time this dude gets in a plane or a train tunnel he puts in an emergency ticket about citrix disconnects

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We got acquired, and I just recently got exposed to the loving pile of poo poo that is our new ERP/billing/salary system.

A ticket came in: Permission requested to nuke the developer from orbit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanatosian posted:

If you have software that is latency-sensitive then your remote workers should probably be in Amazon Workspaces or similar.

Edit: That's a bit Captain Hindsight but I have gone through this poo poo before with people trying to write directly to a SQL database from halfway around the world.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 18, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

every time this dude gets in a plane or a train tunnel he puts in an emergency ticket about citrix disconnects

One time a client at the MSP I worked at requested that one of us be on call for an executive who was going to be flying cross country so we could "troubleshoot any internet issues" and I flat out told my manager that I wasn't going to do that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanatosian posted:

I have a sr employee with the title of “network architect”. He is a guy who is strictly against traffic shaping and or qos. His reasoning is that it puts needless load on network equipment which are tasked with doing those functions. Currently the network overhead is minimal and nothing is under load as far as cpu/mem go

I asked him where this function should live and he wants it at the endpoint level. Endpoints meaning workstations/servers by web policies and other proxy poo poo. I explained to him that blocking high bandwidth sites is or something executive leadership wants at the moment. They have directly this shaping/qos line as the alternative they want to try first. He has a point that I somewhat agree with (we shouldn’t have Netflix available in the first place) but when leadership asks for a reasonable alternative who am I to say no.

He didn’t directly tell me no, but he functional told me no. Why are employees this dumb?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

When I worked at an MSP I had a ticket complaining about VoIP disconnections while talking to a guy on a mobile... on a train. :suicide:

Edit:

By the time traffic from these websites have hit your firewall / network whats the point in slowing it down any further? It's already gone through the "slower" link. Are your switches at capacity? I dont really work with networks any more but that seams reasonable to me. Am I being daft?

Biggz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2019

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

I have a sr employee with the title of “network architect”. He is a guy who is strictly against traffic shaping and or qos. His reasoning is that it puts needless load on network equipment which are tasked with doing those functions. Currently the network overhead is minimal and nothing is under load as far as cpu/mem go

I asked him where this function should live and he wants it at the endpoint level. Endpoints meaning workstations/servers by web policies and other proxy poo poo. I explained to him that blocking high bandwidth sites is or something executive leadership wants at the moment. They have directly this shaping/qos line as the alternative they want to try first. He has a point that I somewhat agree with (we shouldn’t have Netflix available in the first place) but when leadership asks for a reasonable alternative who am I to say no.

He didn’t directly tell me no, but he functional told me no. Why are employees this dumb?

I recently found out my giant (20k+ employee) company that operates primarily through phone sales has no qos for voice traffic! Apparently sometime in the past an engineer accidentally pushed out a giant SCCM package and knocked the entire company's phones over.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Biggz posted:

When I worked at an MSP I had a ticket complaining about VoIP disconnections while talking to a guy on a mobile... on a train. :suicide:

Edit:

By the time traffic from these websites have hit your firewall / network whats the point in slowing it down any further? It's already gone through the "slower" link. Are your switches at capacity? I dont really work with networks any more but that seams reasonable to me. Am I being daft?

The slower link is after your edge unless something is really hosed up. The thinking is that you make sure that thing go through your edge at certain priorities so that if something has to take a quality hit at lack of bandwidth, it’s your nonbusiness poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see the point of QoS in the network if you have the potential for link contention and you're pushing realtime voice/video traffic that is business critical. The response that you should tackle network congestion in the core/distribution level by making changes at the endpoints is baffling.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

D. Ebdrup posted:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords
Good news — no pwnage found!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/slace/status/1087128017724272641?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's storing passwords in some weird plaintext fashion, I'm guessing. One that somehow regexes for "/\s[Z]\s/".