Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm all in on changing things that are actually racist, but don't just do a find/replace on all instances of the word "black" and then pat yourself on the back for being so gosh darned inclusive. This task is going to take time and effort, and the fact that my company is throwing it over the fence to have each team do the changes with zero guidance is bullshit.

Which is why I'm trying to claw my way onto the proposed docs change committee, so I can be the change I want to see instead of just smoking weed and screaming out the window.

Yeah the guidance handed down for us was basically "find/replace all instances of black/white in code", and an email about an inclusiveness meeting on Zoom. You can see why my default reaction is to reach for the bottle there, because they're doing the minimum possible to pat themselves on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Don't worry, eventually we'll be outraged by literally any qualifier in literally any context and we'll ban communication.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
yeah, I'm all for making inclusive changes and I'm glad more places are doing it now but it's definitely going to take me a long time for my muscle memory to get used to
code:
git merge upstream/main
What's really going to suck is the change will take years to propagate through various different open source projects so it'll take even longer to get used to main as the primary git branch. Anyone see any good solutions yet for just using main in all your git commands and having some abstraction to change it to master if the upstream repo doesn't have a main branch?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BallerBallerDillz posted:

goodies/baddies

I fully support this one.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Geemer posted:

Don't worry, eventually we'll be outraged by literally any qualifier in literally any context and we'll ban communication.

Very spicy take there, friend.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
last time this came up at a place I worked at, "mamaduck" and "ducklings" was the most popular replacement for master and slave.

Oh, and I have a Mitch update/meltdown. stay tuned.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:f5::f5::f5:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sfwarlock posted:

last time this came up at a place I worked at, "mamaduck" and "ducklings" was the most popular replacement for master and slave.

I want to steal that :allears:

:f5::f5::f5:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been specializing in a system that has Overlord, Middle-Managers, Supervisors and Peons

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Druid?

A friend said his company has a initiative to also remove any military or violent metaphors. They also said a sanity check or sane default was ableist and no longer allowed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Axlerod posted:

Druid?

A friend said his company has a initiative to also remove any military or violent metaphors. They also said a sanity check or sane default was ableist and no longer allowed.

That's the one. I worked on some super obscure Hadoop DB system before where I had to write a ton of my own code to automate, so it was really nice to see supervisors that are what I wrote, except good.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Director/Actor?
Bow/Arrow?
Driver/Car?

Do they have to make sense?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mr. Garrison / Mr. Slave

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Guy Axlerod posted:

They also said a sanity check or sane default was ableist and no longer allowed.

We've been known to use "cromulent".

Really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sfwarlock posted:

Oh, and I have a Mitch update/meltdown. stay tuned.

You come right the gently caress back here this instant and share the gossip! :toughguy:

:f5:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Axlerod posted:

Mr. Garrison / Mr. Slave

Mr. Slave / Mr. Garrison

:colbert:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Management / Talent

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm all in on changing things that are actually racist, but don't just do a find/replace on all instances of the word "black" and then pat yourself on the back for being so gosh darned inclusive. This task is going to take time and effort, and the fact that my company is throwing it over the fence to have each team do the changes with zero guidance is bullshit.

Which is why I'm trying to claw my way onto the proposed docs change committee, so I can be the change I want to see instead of just smoking weed and screaming out the window.

Just require all users to install the black2butt extension

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

Very spicy take there, friend.

You're right. I probably shouldn't post hot takes like that right before going to bed.

My point is that people are chomping at the bit to get outraged at anything just so they can turn around and go "see how woke I am? Aren't I a great person? Please validate me! Social media has trained me to think I'm worthless unless I get a constant stream of likes!"

It's like that goon that used search to burst into threads and berate people talking about trannies, only to end up in AI with people talking about their transmissions. I'm all for dropping casual racism and slurs from our vocabulary, but even mentioning black or white in the context of paint coatings can trigger some brokebrained idiots.

A lot of the proposed solutions, in the context of real people, are "we can't call them [slur] anymore, let's call them [new term that doesn't have a negative charge yet]" only for it to be repeated a couple years down the line.
Surprise! Racism by any other name doesn't solve racism.

Taking out objectively racist terminology: good.
Taking out terminology that might potentially be considered racist if taken out of context and even then only by people with racism on the mind: you'll end up being able to differentiate at all in the end.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Geemer posted:

My point is that people are chomping at the bit to get outraged at anything just so they can turn around and go "see how woke I am? Aren't I a great person? Please validate me! Social media has trained me to think I'm worthless unless I get a constant stream of likes!"

quote:

find/replace on all instances of the word "black" and then pat yourself on the back for being so gosh darned inclusive

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Geemer posted:

You're right. I probably shouldn't post hot takes like that right before going to bed.

It's like that goon that used search to burst into threads and berate people talking about trannies, only to end up in AI with people talking about their transmissions. I'm all for dropping casual racism and slurs from our vocabulary, but even mentioning black or white in the context of paint coatings can trigger some brokebrained idiots.

A lot of the proposed solutions, in the context of real people, are "we can't call them [slur] anymore, let's call them [new term that doesn't have a negative charge yet]" only for it to be repeated a couple years down the line.

Taking out terminology that might potentially be considered racist if taken out of context and even then only by people with racism on the mind: you'll end up being able to differentiate at all in the end.

The world is going to keep changing. Learn to change with it. Your entire attitude about this topic is toxic and you would benefit by changing. God speed.

Like you are giving out racist, bigot vibes in a big way. Just stop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

That doesn't concern you :colbert:

God drat.

Larches with with the callback FROM DOWNTOWN... YES!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

maybe you think it's beyond silly to get offended by someone not wanting to type out transmission in full but on the other hand is it really an insurmountable amount of personal effort to put in to avoid using what could be interpreted as a slur toward a marginalised group or even just bring to the mind of that marginalised group memories of that word being used against them in a different context.

anyway, i'm going with otp kirk/spock.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Geemer posted:

I'm not sure where or from whom you're getting this idea that people, in general, are actively trying to be offended.

In the specific context of computing, the change of terminology is driven mostly by nerds from various walks of life taking time to reexamine their biases and thinking, you know, the master/slave relationship has some really unfortunate and negative connotations. Maybe we should change that to more descriptive and accurate terms for each kind of relationship!

You're also conflating "let's maybe not casually use words and concepts that have remarkably negative connotations" (aka making an effort to use more inclusive language) with the concept of dogwhistling, EG: "plague of illegals".

I encourage you to:

1. Chill the gently caress out
2. Re-examine your own biases
3. THink twice before getting more worked up on the subject of inclusive language than anyone else in the thread

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Management / Ability

Just to be a little clearer.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sickening posted:

dragonshardz posted:

I encourage you to:

1. Chill the gently caress out
2. Re-examine your own biases
3. THink twice before getting more worked up on the subject of inclusive language than anyone else in the thread

You're both right and I'm sorry for bringing this poo poo into the thread. I've been pretty stressed lately and it's loving with my mind. Thanks for putting the mirror in front of me.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Sickening posted:

That's a hell of an accusation to make and frankly unjustified.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moo the cow posted:

That's a hell of an accusation to make and frankly unjustified.

Evidently not.

Kind of the whole point of bringing it up is to say "hey this kind of attitude is lovely even if you don't realize it, this is a great opportunity to reverse course while you're in a place where the stakes for doing so are low". Would that we all were given those kinds of opportunities at the right time in in our lives/careers and took the chance to back slowly away (meowing)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ghostlight posted:

maybe you think it's beyond silly to get offended by someone not wanting to type out transmission in full but on the other hand is it really an insurmountable amount of personal effort to put in to avoid using what could be interpreted as a slur toward a marginalised group or even just bring to the mind of that marginalised group memories of that word being used against them in a different context.

No but you see it's very important that they get to save a couple of characters per mention of transmissions.

Who cares about the actual people being horribly murdered in hate crimes all across the world, amirite? :rolleyes:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Changing the terminology is good.

My only gripe is that a bunch of tech companies will pat themselves on the back for being so inclusive and taking a stand against racism and then go right back to silently shitcanning any resume they get that says Mohammed or Omar on it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, we're gonna remove all the bad words from professional cant because it's incredibly easy to do so (despite what chuds might tell you about ~inertia~), but then do absolutely loving nothing to actually fix poo poo. "look we don't say the bad words anymore gimme a break". modern idpol is a liberal conspiracy to distract by pandering via incosequential poo poo and then stab you in the back when nobody's looking

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since code is almost always in a state of flux, changing terminology as part of another change - perhaps one that you've been waiting on making because you haven't gotten around to it otherwise - seems like a good option too.

It's certainly what quite a few opensource projects have settled on.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Geemer posted:

You're both right and I'm sorry for bringing this poo poo into the thread. I've been pretty stressed lately and it's loving with my mind. Thanks for putting the mirror in front of me.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Don't you know you're supposed to freak the gently caress out and "NO U!" and derail the entire goddamn thread for the next five pages, at least? How long have you been on the internet? Weak sauce.

ᶠᵒʳ ʳᵉᵃˡ ᵃʷᵉˢᵒᵐᵉ ʳᵉᵖˡʸ

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

My only gripe is that a bunch of tech companies will pat themselves on the back for being so inclusive and taking a stand against racism and then go right back to silently shitcanning any resume they get that says Mohammed or Omar on it.

Thats my biggest complaint as well. Companies will change terminology and blast the change all over social media congratulating themselves yet fail to hire a single minority or make any meaningful change.

My long battle with Comcast has finally come to an end. Still waiting on an explanation as to why 3 of my sites have been down for a week. Going to rake my rep over the coals for this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Furthering that, if the attitudes that created "white = good, always okay; black = bad, never okay" fade away through social pressure and it no longer being "well that's how it's always been" level thought, then real change might come on its heels.

Plus, these sorts of changes are good at getting chuds to reveal themselves. :v: We actually had some dude go off in a public slack channel about "who even cares, black people don't work in tech" after our CEO announced the formation of an internal change board to look into how to gracefully rename things like whitelist/blacklist, etc.

The group is headed up by a black woman. The announcement came right after one of my teammates who's a black guy got a promotion announced. :v:

(He ended up getting fired after the "hey what the gently caress was that" inquiry ended up with him doubling down on it)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thats my biggest complaint as well. Companies will change terminology and blast the change all over social media congratulating themselves yet fail to hire a single minority or make any meaningful change.

[Scene: Panicked Boardroom]
CEO: You mean just changing our Twitter logo to include a rainbow background and doing absolutely nothing else of value or merit doesn't satisfy our diversity goals?!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
God damnit is it really so loving hard to treat people like human beings?!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Heners_UK posted:

God damnit is it really so loving unprofitable to treat people like human beings?!

RON HOWARD VOICE: It was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Heners_UK posted:

God damnit is it really so loving hard to treat people like human beings?!

99.9% of the profit is still a year over year decline friend