Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hello thread, I bring you discomfort.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fayg4op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

how

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kurieg posted:

I was looking around in that and uhh

I feel terror

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kurieg posted:

someone just rip it out by the heatsink without unlocking the socket?
or try to pry it out with a screwdriver without unlocking the socket?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shugojin posted:

I was looking around in that and uhh

I feel terror

Is that Grover House?

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

someone just rip it out by the heatsink without unlocking the socket?
or try to pry it out with a screwdriver without unlocking the socket?

Yes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurieg posted:

This one just made me grin though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kyrosiris posted:

This one just made me grin though.

No joke, I have an ancient 486 chip that worked better than any brush or comb I've ever tried for stripping out the loose fur from my long-haired Manx's coat. (He loved getting brushed with that thing.)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's a lotta beans in that dump.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Powered Descent posted:

No joke, I have an ancient 486 chip that worked better than any brush or comb I've ever tried for stripping out the loose fur from my long-haired Manx's coat. (He loved getting brushed with that thing.)

I have an old 486 chip floating around that I use to clean cat hair/lint/general debris from the "pokie" side velcro straps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This just came in, a weird 'access denied' issue.

We've got a Server 2012R2 box that runs validated scripts for moving QC data to a file share. We set a service account as admin on the target, and the script connects to \\target\c$\path\to\data as that service account.

On a new system we're adding, the 2012 VM gets an access denied mapping that path. We've tried the UNC path in the Run... dialogue and mapping it to a drive for troubleshooting.

My physical Win 10 Enterprise box and a Server 2016 VM can map that share just fine using the service account.

Most of the QC systems are Win 10 LTSC. This target, and one of my test systems that also fails, are regular Win 10 Enterprise running on physical hardware.

What the gently caress ?

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 12, 2020

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in

quote:

FW: I'M ALL DONE NOW-YOU CAN WIPE MY HARD DRIVE!

The absolute energy this man has for his retirement :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

mllaneza posted:

This just came in, a weird 'access denied' issue.

We've got a Server 2012R2 box that runs validated scripts for moving QC data to a file share. We set a service account as admin on the target, and the script connects to \\target\c$\path\to\data as that service account.

On a new system we're adding, the 2012 VM gets an access denied mapping that path. We've tried the UNC path in the Run... dialogue and mapping it to a drive for troubleshooting.

My physical Win 10 Enterprise box and a Server 2016 VM can map that share just fine using the service account.

Most of the QC systems are Win 10 LTSC. This target, and one of my test systems that also fails, are regular Win 10 Enterprise running on physical hardware.

What the gently caress ?

in a similar vein

quote:

I have a Brand New top of the line router, that's not the issue.

the router is actually causing interference and is, in fact, the issue but no one can convince her of that yet

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in

The absolute energy this man has for his retirement :allears:

I feel bad for people who hate their jobs enough to be that excited to retire. I get wanting to, but I hope to miss it a little if I ever get to retire.

Not enough to keep working, but enough to have wistful thoughts while I do whatever the gently caress i end up doing while retired

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A mate asks me:

"Anyone have any experience with online booking systems (specifically for leisure facilities where you want to limit the amount of time that people can book and that sort of thing)? There seem to be around a gazillion systems around but it's hard to tell if they do the job without actually trying them out.

Most promising one I've found so far is skedda."

Any thoughts/recommendations?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I feel bad for people who hate their jobs enough to be that excited to retire. I get wanting to, but I hope to miss it a little if I ever get to retire.

Not enough to keep working, but enough to have wistful thoughts while I do whatever the gently caress i end up doing while retired

I wish I knew something that I did well enough as I do IT and could use to be happier with work, but until that happens, I'm 38 and can't wait to not have to work anymore. If I want to keep this up after I retire, I'll volunteer doing computer janitor stuff for a local charity or something.

Kudos to those who find actual joy in IT - for the rest of us, it's Club Tolerable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I found a company whose mission I agree with and want to support.

Still have to deal with the same bullshit, but at least for now I can find some solace in the fact that I’m helping other people do good things.

I’m going to have to leave in a year or so if I want to be able to continue to advance my career though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

I wish I knew something that I did well enough as I do IT and could use to be happier with work, but until that happens, I'm 38 and can't wait to not have to work anymore. If I want to keep this up after I retire, I'll volunteer doing computer janitor stuff for a local charity or something.

Kudos to those who find actual joy in IT - for the rest of us, it's Club Tolerable.
Yah, I'm happy to have found work that I don't generally hate, but I do generally hate having to work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Yah, I'm happy to have found work that I don't generally hate, but I do generally hate having to work.

100% this for me.

The irritating part is that (mostly) we're paid well enough that we *don't* have to work so much, but part time / job share is a much harder discussion to have than 8 hours per day.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

I found a company whose mission I agree with and want to support.

Still have to deal with the same bullshit, but at least for now I can find some solace in the fact that I’m helping other people do good things.

This, I'm currently interviewing for a company that does research for a wide variety of different areas and actually makes a positive impact on the world, they are a non-profit and pay very well, hopefully it turns out and I can somewhat feel better about my job.

I like IT to a degree but man has it really killed the joy of computers; at least I'm kind of good at what I do, sometimes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

I didn't mean actually having a job, but if I ever manage to retire, I know I'll end up volunteering for some charity or something

gently caress actually having to work to live tho

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I didn't mean actually having a job, but if I ever manage to retire, I know I'll end up volunteering for some charity or something

gently caress actually having to work to live tho

I had just started a project with a local non-profit right before the COVID thing hit. Like, really just started scoping it out and securing some assets, hadn't actually done anything for them, yet (it was a workstation refresh). I was feeling pretty good about it, too. :(

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

I like IT to a degree but man has it really killed the joy of computers; at least I'm kind of good at what I do, sometimes.

This is me, really; I've lost computing as a hobby and it makes me brutally depressed sometimes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sfwarlock posted:

This is me, really; I've lost computing as a hobby and it makes me brutally depressed sometimes.

I still do video games, tho I realized with my last build I absolutely cannot bring myself to care enough to plan out a build anymore.

glad I have this forum to find nerds who still do care

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

sfwarlock posted:

Yeah it is a bit depressing, I used to be super enthusiastic about learning and digging through forums and now it's just ... what a bother.

RFC2324 posted:

I still do video games, tho I realized with my last build I absolutely cannot bring myself to care enough to plan out a build anymore.

Yeah, I still game, will probably have to reduce severely/stop soon so we can have kid(s).

Thank god there are folks that do all the research because I don't want to spend hours going through reviews of stuff and figuring things out; also thank god for pc parts picker because holy poo poo was it annoying when doing my first computer build and figuring out X didn't work with Y (I think it was a voodoo3 graphics card didn't work with the board I had or something).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

to be honest the expensive legos part is like the last joy of computer touching for me

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Computers are intolerable to me now.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Shugojin posted:

to be honest the expensive legos part is like the last joy of computer touching for me

This, sort of, although for me it's now more about maxing out the potentials for creating low-power as-silent-as-possible monster machines. E.g. the new home server build I just completed which idles at 30 watts, is using about 50w with about 10 containers and VMs running (though most of that additional wattage is the CPU required by my NVR VM), and, in the insulated network cabinet, adds only 1.5 dB to the noise floor outside the cabinet (I should buy stock in Noctua). I'm real proud of that, even if it did cost an arm and a leg, because it required a lot of planning and careful building to achieve rather than tossing a bunch of parts in a case and calling it a day, and it's a poke in the eye to physics demanding that huge computing speed and capability comes at the cost of power and heat. Don't get me wrong, it's 30% of the way to the server I really want, but until ARM CPUs are standard server fare (for mortals, not hyperscalers) and large SSDs aren't $themoon, it's probably the best I can achieve for my goals.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Shugojin posted:

Same. Once I've built something I pretty much stop caring about it.
One of the reasons I spend so much goddamn money on keyboards.
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

The very expensive journey.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Methanar posted:

same here. the only reason i still have one at home is to run a plex server. if i didn't do that i would just get an ipad and ps4 to fulfill my other needs and never use a Personal Computer in my spare time again. being "not good with computers" seems like bliss

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

isn't everything?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shugojin posted:

my love for it just got more focused down to servers, tbh. I really enjoy the build phase of servers, getting everything set up, and then templating it and making sure it spins up cleanly every time. tho I guess thats really moved away from hardware at this point

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love automation. When I was setting up our first Puppet POC, I worked a couple weekends on it for free, because I was into it and couldn't let it go. Other exotic problems, maybe interesting. Your server is slow because your SQL is badly written and had a cost of about a million on a four core guest? I can barely get the bat off my shoulder.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

MF_James posted:

Yeah, I still game, will probably have to reduce severely/stop soon so we can have kid(s).

I am currently sitting in my darkened living room with my 6 week old son, behind me, hoping he doesn't wake up before I'm off-duty at 11pm. I have gently caress all to do and I cannot bring myself to fire up even the most casual game in my Steam library. Adult life and/or working in IT has sucked all the joy out of computers (slowly raises revolver to temple)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
New job, new users to get used to.

A ticket comes in from the CIO of one our clients and she wants us to set up her office Surface for remote access so she can use it at home. She also wants us to take a look at her personal laptop because she's been using it for work and it's very slow. She's nice enough and I don't have much going on at the moment so I take both tasks on personally.

Hoo boy.

:v: Alright, I can remote into your Surface since our management client is installed. You'll see a notification on your screen that I'm connected.
:) ok! I see your name now.

I should have gotten screenshots. Never in my life have I seen more toolbars, more adware, more junkware on a computer. It was terminal and borderline unusable.

:v: There must be some sort of mistake. I'm trying to connect to your work supplied device, not your personal device.
:) This is my work computer.
:v: whaaaaaaaaaaaaa???

It took me a little bit to get it all cleared off and get her remoted in. Apparently she hadn't been properly sorted into the correct OU and was just living large with admin privileges and a healthy amount of "learn by doing" gumption.

I took a look at her personal computer more out of morbid curiosity than obligation and it was just as I suspected, more of the same but somehow worse. Also she had managed to associate a majority of file extensions with Edge, including .exe, so nothing would run. It was fun.

I missed this level of chaos. I'm starting to realize just how organized and effective my own network back at the school actually was, despite the pitfalls and insane leadership.

Speaking of

:siren: Fun Ex-Director Update :siren:

He is losing his goddamned mind over running a residential high school in Mississippi during COVID.

Some old coworkers sent me videos of their most recent Zoom meeting in which he could be seen sitting in his office, furiously pumping weights at his desk with an extremely intense but still somehow blank and distant look on his face. As the conversation about how to proceed grew more heated, he threw the dumbbell a few feet behind him and got up and walked away. He didn't show back up for three more days.

A student sent me an email asking how to get the network ports in the dorm rooms working. I told them to send in a request to IT because they have to be connected on a per room basis due to limited switch space. The student told me they already had, and that the new TC came to their room, looked blankly at the wall ports, said "Eeeehhhhhhhhhhh uhhh oh ehhh mmmm" and then walked out of the building and never came back.

Everything is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I started a new job two months ago for a company I really like and can "believe in" (in as much as you can believe in a capitalist structure anyway). We make dog food. I have a good budget and soon I get to buy half a million in server refresh stuff, and I have another half a million set aside for moving things to AWS/Azure. My boss likes me, my coworkers are pretty great, I only go to the office twice a week and when I do I can bring my dog. All things considered I know I'm *incredibly lucky* to have not only found a job, but to get a title and pay raise in a pandemic.

That being said holy balls am I ever tired of computers. I'm digging this whole planning and architecture of new stuff, but I can barely bring myself to sit down at the keyboard after 5pm. My FF14 sub just renewed for another 3 months and i realized I haven't logged in for two weeks. The last game I played on the PC was 15 minutes of NFS: Heat while waiting for my wife to finish her make-up. I put a few good hours into Slay the Spire on Switch I guess.

I keep daydreaming about a nice 5 acre lot with a ranch style bungalow, lots of trees, 20 minutes outside the city. Internet no faster than 1mb down. "Sorry boss, internet issues, guess I can't work today" *heads outside to hammock, cracks beer, lights joint*

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Antioch posted:

I started a new job two months ago for a company I really like and can "believe in" (in as much as you can believe in a capitalist structure anyway). We make dog food. I have a good budget and soon I get to buy half a million in server refresh stuff, and I have another half a million set aside for moving things to AWS/Azure. My boss likes me, my coworkers are pretty great, I only go to the office twice a week and when I do I can bring my dog. All things considered I know I'm *incredibly lucky* to have not only found a job, but to get a title and pay raise in a pandemic.

That being said holy balls am I ever tired of computers. I'm digging this whole planning and architecture of new stuff, but I can barely bring myself to sit down at the keyboard after 5pm. My FF14 sub just renewed for another 3 months and i realized I haven't logged in for two weeks. The last game I played on the PC was 15 minutes of NFS: Heat while waiting for my wife to finish her make-up. I put a few good hours into Slay the Spire on Switch I guess.

I keep daydreaming about a nice 5 acre lot with a ranch style bungalow, lots of trees, 20 minutes outside the city. Internet no faster than 1mb down. "Sorry boss, internet issues, guess I can't work today" *heads outside to hammock, cracks beer, lights joint*

Do you have a separate "office" and/or do you use a different set of hardware to work than to play?

If you answered "no" to either, you should fix that. Separating work from home life is incredibly important for many people. If you're in the same chair, at the same desk, using the same computer for everything, it's no wonder you get tired of it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Antioch posted:

I keep telling people that my dream is to move up to the mountains, go off the grid and raise goats by candlelight and no one believes me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you have a separate "office" and/or do you use a different set of hardware to work than to play?

If you answered "no" to either, you should fix that. Separating work from home life is incredibly important for many people. If you're in the same chair, at the same desk, using the same computer for everything, it's no wonder you get tired of it.

This is incredibly true. I've found that I have to use my notebook in the living room to get any work done, instead of my much nicer desktop that's in my bedroom.

If I absolutely have to work on my desktop due to whatever circumstances I'm not able to "switch off" from work for that day, and sometimes not even the day after until I shut down the notebook in the living room.

But now I got a lab job so there's no working from home (I see this as a positive).

Also, a ticket came in, from me to IT:

quote:

Please don't reboot the machine you're removing McAfee and installing ESET on, it's in the middle of a measurement that can't be interrupted or resumed. You almost gave my boss a heart attack when you remoted in and minimized the test program.

I'm honestly not sure if ESET is an improvement with its dumb mitm certificate mangling. But that's their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

New job, new users to get used to.

A ticket comes in from the CIO of one our clients and she wants us to set up her office Surface for remote access so she can use it at home. She also wants us to take a look at her personal laptop because she's been using it for work and it's very slow. She's nice enough and I don't have much going on at the moment so I take both tasks on personally.

Hoo boy.

:v: Alright, I can remote into your Surface since our management client is installed. You'll see a notification on your screen that I'm connected.
:) ok! I see your name now.

I should have gotten screenshots. Never in my life have I seen more toolbars, more adware, more junkware on a computer. It was terminal and borderline unusable.

:v: There must be some sort of mistake. I'm trying to connect to your work supplied device, not your personal device.
:) This is my work computer.
:v: whaaaaaaaaaaaaa???

It took me a little bit to get it all cleared off and get her remoted in. Apparently she hadn't been properly sorted into the correct OU and was just living large with admin privileges and a healthy amount of "learn by doing" gumption.

I took a look at her personal computer more out of morbid curiosity than obligation and it was just as I suspected, more of the same but somehow worse. Also she had managed to associate a majority of file extensions with Edge, including .exe, so nothing would run. It was fun.

I missed this level of chaos. I'm starting to realize just how organized and effective my own network back at the school actually was, despite the pitfalls and insane leadership.

Speaking of

:siren: Fun Ex-Director Update :siren:

He is losing his goddamned mind over running a residential high school in Mississippi during COVID.

Some old coworkers sent me videos of their most recent Zoom meeting in which he could be seen sitting in his office, furiously pumping weights at his desk with an extremely intense but still somehow blank and distant look on his face. As the conversation about how to proceed grew more heated, he threw the dumbbell a few feet behind him and got up and walked away. He didn't show back up for three more days.

A student sent me an email asking how to get the network ports in the dorm rooms working. I told them to send in a request to IT because they have to be connected on a per room basis due to limited switch space. The student told me they already had, and that the new TC came to their room, looked blankly at the wall ports, said "Eeeehhhhhhhhhhh uhhh oh ehhh mmmm" and then walked out of the building and never came back.

Everything is beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous.

Jesus christ yes please mainline updates like these directly into my veins. :f5: