Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm on PTO this week because my boss insisted I take time off before I completely lose my poo poo.

Reading this thread made me reflexively try to check my work emails. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm on PTO this week because my boss insisted I take time off before I completely lose my poo poo.

Reading this thread made me reflexively try to check my work emails. :ohdear:

There can be something nice about reading your work emails, then checking to make sure the out of office reply is working, and letting it be somebody else's loving problem!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Is anybody using OpenVPN Cloud? I set up a test and linked the auth to our Azure AD really easily, and the performance looks as good as the OpenVPN access server we were hosting locally before.

I quite like the idea that the authentication side of things is managed entirely by OpenVPN so that if something goes horribly wrong that breaks RADIUS I can still get in without having to have a local account configured somewhere. Also the way you can choose to connect individual servers to the VPN cloud, or deploy the connectors to route/NAT traffic onto the rest of your LAN, it's quite good if there's only a few hosts behind the VPN that people need access to. The way that the connectors make outbound connections to the OpenVPN service also means I can remove a couple more inbound firewall rules which is nice, and if a site fails over to 4G where there isn't a public IP I can still get to things via VPN.

The pricing is per-connection and each OpenVPN connector for routing to a LAN or a service counts as one connection so the costs can grow fairly quickly. It looks a little bit on the expensive side but for lower connection counts it could be decent.

What's cost vs Azure VPN tunnel?

(I would look but getting blocked by content filter)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 28, 2020

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Relentless posted:

There can be something nice about reading your work emails, then checking to make sure the out of office reply is working, and letting it be somebody else's loving problem!

Forgot to set an OOO before taking a long weekend but remembered on sunday night, and I don't get that many emails specifically to me, so I was just like "gently caress it, if it's important they'll call the number they're supposed to call for anything urgent"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Last time I left a client site I totally forgot to set an "I don't work here anymore" OOO message. I like to think that the main secops@company.name address got hammered with complaints about me.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Arquinsiel posted:

Last time I left a client site I totally forgot to set an "I don't work here anymore" OOO message. I like to think that the main secops@company.name address got hammered with complaints about me.

I saw one a while ago where they set a "I don't work here" OOO... for 1 week. And then it was just dead air.

I aspire to be them one day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

What's cost vs Azure VPN tunnel?

(I would look but getting blocked by content filter)

It works out a fair bit more, and I'd love to move everything to the Azure VPN client, but there's too many limitations at the moment regarding connectivity to sites at the end of VPN tunnels that make it worthless right now

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/vpn-gateway/vpn-gateway-about-point-to-site-routing#vnetbranch

No idea if this will show up because Imgur is down and I picked an alternative at random, but for this basic scenario to not work it's just not a service worth looking at right now

Edit: Good point on the content filter though, I imagine if firewalls are blocking the whole OpenVPN domain then it’s going to stop this working as well for our users.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 28, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

folks, the tickets... they're comin' in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Weedle posted:

folks, the tickets... they're comin' in

Yup, here too. O365 is down.

https://status.office.com/

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm so happy I took this whole week off right now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The best part is that there is literally nothing I can do so I am just copy/pasting the same message into a half-dozen Teams chats.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

The best part is that there is literally nothing I can do so I am just copy/pasting the same message into a half-dozen Teams chats.

THE CLOUD!

Also congrats on Teams still working - my desktop Teams appears to be functional but mobile is kaput.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

Same, but phone calls.

"Yep, there's an outage on Microsoft's end. Nothing we can do, please be patient while Microsoft fixes it."

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Fucks sake. Was doing a network change at the same time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My VP is asking me what our dr plan is if this outage lasts longer than over night.

I'm like... pen and paper?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's always fun, telling off an upset executive when it's someone else's outage. "Look, Sprint's main West Coast peering interchange went down at 2am. They woke up a VP at 3am, the CIO at 4am, and the CEO got a call at 6. How the hell is me calling and yelling going to help get it fixed any faster ?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My on prem Exchange seems pretty great right now :smug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

My on prem Exchange seems pretty great right now :smug:

I already know, without even looking, the r/sysadmin has the on prem weirdos lying about uptime and cost of their poo poo boxes posts going on turbo mode.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this a regional issue? Our (UK) VPN is chucking auth requests at Azure AD and generating MFA push notifications without issue.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mllaneza posted:

That's always fun, telling off an upset executive when it's someone else's outage. "Look, Sprint's main West Coast peering interchange went down at 2am. They woke up a VP at 3am, the CIO at 4am, and the CEO got a call at 6. How the hell is me calling and yelling going to help get it fixed any faster ?"

For what it's worth, Sprint themselves have no problems doing this.

One of our guys lost their poo poo on them after some genious said "what hurricane?" several days after Laura wiped the town they were calling about off the map.

I have a hate/hate relationship with Sprint. I once wasted half a day telling them off on their own bridge call after quoting SOP on me and getting it wrong.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 28, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

Is this a regional issue? Our (UK) VPN is chucking auth requests at Azure AD and generating MFA push notifications without issue.

Yes but the affected region is "the entire world"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Yes but the affected region is "the entire world"

Welcome to the cloud.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Global cloud: Our nuclear winter

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Scuttlebutt on twitter is that this seems to have been caused by someone trying to rebrand from "Office 365" to "Windows 365" and I really hope that's true.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1310701000668389376?s=20

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Update 9/28/20 08:40 PM EST: Microsoft has started to reroute traffic through different servers and some users have reported being able to login again.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Interesting to hear about these reports. My wife, with her company provided Office Cloud bullshit, was able to work all day long.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Volguus posted:

Interesting to hear about these reports. My wife, with her company provided Office Cloud bullshit, was able to work all day long.

Her session probably didn't expire or get reset. I was able to work all day long, except for the O365 admin panel loving up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Renegret posted:

I'm so happy I took this whole week off right now

Same here. I mean, despite being a Windows engineer, we don't use any of MSFT's cloud products or auth poo poo (we use Gmail and our own Oauth product), so I wouldn't be doing anything except hearing from various execs asking me about a MSFT outage because they don't know poo poo except that it's a company we work with.

Arquinsiel posted:

Scuttlebutt on twitter is that this seems to have been caused by someone trying to rebrand from "Office 365" to "Windows 365" and I really hope that's true.

Please let this be true. I love a good stupid-level fuckup. Reminds me of every time they'd try to update Bresnan's routing tables with something broken that would self-replicate out into their network and then have to be rolled back, taking out their entire customer base of both home and business users...it was bad enough and frequent enough that we had a second ISP line for emergency fall back purposes, because if our office went down, so did all our DIDs and Autodesk licenses throughout the state. Of course, the only other ISP available in the area was DSL. (We could have gone enterprise, but lol, these fuckers didn't even approve my budget for redundant phone hardware, which was fantastic when the main phone server box died mid-winter and it took 3 days to overnight a replacement.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when they had passport.com and the service went down for like a day because they forgot to renew the domain and a coworker of mine squatted it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

Her session probably didn't expire or get reset. I was able to work all day long, except for the O365 admin panel loving up.
Back in 2018 when it all went down in November I was logged in and working away fine, until the office manager asked me to log out to check if it was just her that was having the problem. Good times.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Arquinsiel posted:

Back in 2018 when it all went down in November I was logged in and working away fine, until the office manager asked me to log out to check if it was just her that was having the problem. Good times.

I have definitely done that on purpose to get out of work.

"Hey, DRJ, is your [oauth] working?"
"I dunno, if I can't log in, can I go do something else for the day?"
"Uh...yes?"
"NOPE, MINE'S hosed, SEE YA."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I definitely did not deliberately log out rather than trying to login again in a private browser session to prevent myself being unable to work. It was entirely accidental.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
911 services are also down or spotty nationwide as the extra cherry on top of oh gently caress

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

UCS Hellmaker posted:

911 services are also down or spotty nationwide as the extra cherry on top of oh gently caress

Did anything come out as to why this happened? pls pls be o365 related somehow

Weedle
May 31, 2006

taqueso posted:

Did anything come out as to why this happened? pls pls be o365 related somehow

https://twitter.com/CityOfRedmond/status/1310731052139319297

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

holy poo poo lol, thats amazing and terrifying

Weedle
May 31, 2006