Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
poo poo, now I'm worried about my work laptop that never leaves the dock, so I wouldn't know if it was swelling or not. :ohdear:

Edit: what a lovely page snipe. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mattfl posted:

Ticket comes in, laptop seems to be coming apart

ya, uhh bring that in asap please before it explodes

I see you use the same asset tracking stickers we do

re: MAC addresses:

they are even more useless these days because Apple started randomizing them on iphones and ipads to reduce tracking/improve privacy
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mattfl posted:

Ticket comes in, laptop seems to be coming apart

ya, uhh bring that in asap please before it explodes

HP 820 G4?

We've had a LOT of those here with swollen batteries.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

HP 820 G4?

That'd be the one.

This is the 8th or 9th in the past couple months we've had this happen to.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

stevewm posted:

I've had a few 1st gen Microsoft Surface Books looking just like that. Except the battery is behind the screen, so that gets cracked as well. Microsoft sends a "fireproof" box to ship it back to them with.

My SP4 Pro just had that happen to it a few months ago. It didn't break the screen, but it did swell enough to unseat it along two sides. (I then cracked the screen trying to use the wrong kind of spudger to open it further, but the thing's a loving loss so IDGAF).

Since it's got a hard drive I can't remove, I filed a ticket with provisioning to get it sent to our ewaste processor, with the note, "There is a hard drive inside the tablet, which is running Windows. Please ensure it's wiped properly before disposal."

Get a reply back, "This is being sent to ewaste immediately."

"Did you wipe the HD?"

"It has an HD?"

MOTHERFUCKER.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dragonshardz posted:

HP 820 G4?

Is this one of you guys?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/jv8a7c/swelling_laptop_batteries/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nope. Although it's concerning some of the replies in that thread about Dells when we are going to start getting our first shipments of Dells next month.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

mattfl posted:

Nope. Although it's concerning some of the replies in that thread about Dells when we are going to start getting our first shipments of Dells next month.

We're a Dell shop, and its entirely model dependant.

E7270's were brutal, probably 75% battery swelling rate.
We're also seeing some 2-4 year old Precision's in their thin form factor starting to go. Nothing from the "full-size" precision laptops though, they're solid.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Siochain posted:

We're also seeing some 2-4 year old Precision's in their thin form factor starting to go. Nothing from the "full-size" precision laptops though, they're solid.

Our new standards are

Latitude 5310/5510/7410
Precision 3440/5540/7920
OptiPlex 5080/7480

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Siochain posted:

I haven't seen the issue on later 7490s, it's replacement the 7400, and the replacement for *that*, the 7410, we literally have 2 or 3 of so far, since they just came out. I'd say the 7400 is too new - I didn't see the swelling until, oh, 13 months.
Once they stopped swelling, though, the batteries on the 7480/90 just started having terrible life. I have a stack of them to dispose of that I just keep on my workbench for visual impact.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Fool posted:

re: MAC addresses:

they are even more useless these days because Apple started randomizing them on iphones and ipads to reduce tracking/improve privacy
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Android has been doing this for a while too, for a change Google was actually ahead of Apple on a privacy feature.

That said from the perspective of a network administrator it doesn't actually change anything unless you're trying to pre-provision something that relies on the MAC address, in which case the one you get from the device's settings page won't be the one the network sees unless you tell it to show the real one. When the device connects to a network the randomized MAC is saved so the network always sees the same address unless the user resets the device or tells it to forget the network. You can still use the MAC the network sees for whatever you want at that point and it works the same as it always has as long as the user is connected to the same SSID. This way users can't be easily tracked across multiple public wifi networks but things like captive portals can still work as normal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've seen swelling batteries on the old e7440s, e7450s, and e7470s/e7270s, as well as my 1st gen Surface Book. What I've seen a lot of from 7280 onward, as well as on desktops, is flaky or failing TPM chips.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dragonshardz posted:

HP 820 G4?

LOL, we dropped the 820 when the G3s came out (840 and 850 are the two options). Dodged a bullet it sounds like.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven't seen any battery issues with the 840 G3 models. We moved to the 735 G6's recently since AMD is kicking rear end and they're alot cheaper.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mattfl posted:

That'd be the one.

This is the 8th or 9th in the past couple months we've had this happen to.

:same: !

Nope, not me.

mllaneza posted:

LOL, we dropped the 820 when the G3s came out (840 and 850 are the two options). Dodged a bullet it sounds like.

It's turning out to be a common problem with these older machines.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh boy, we're going to be looking new laptops in the spring. I cannot loving wait - these Dell laptops Latitude 5490,/5590 are loving terrible.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

The Fool posted:

Also, we use veam to backup to a dedicated synology and then mirror that to azure blob storage

As of about a month ago B2 is now an official Veeam destination as it's S3-compatible (including object lock, which was apparently the thing that took Backblaze a long time to implement). It's a little hacky because you have to set it up as a scale-out repository, so you need a secondary local repository that the backup jobs go to, and then there's an automatic upload job that fires to move the backup files to the scale-out repository after a certain (configurable) amount of time. But it works pretty well if you have a decent connection, and B2 is as far as I know still the cheapest cloud storage option.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can Veeam backup to Glacier yet?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Assorted Gubbins posted:

As of about a month ago B2 is now an official Veeam destination as it's S3-compatible (including object lock, which was apparently the thing that took Backblaze a long time to implement). It's a little hacky because you have to set it up as a scale-out repository, so you need a secondary local repository that the backup jobs go to, and then there's an automatic upload job that fires to move the backup files to the scale-out repository after a certain (configurable) amount of time. But it works pretty well if you have a decent connection, and B2 is as far as I know still the cheapest cloud storage option.

So you can use it as a backup copy job target? That would be perfect. I have one going to a cloud veeam repo and one going to a rotated usb drive

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GreenNight posted:

Can Veeam backup to Glacier yet?

Be very very careful using cold-tier storage like Glacier or the Azure archive tier for Veeam object storage. A former sysadmin at my company offloaded half a year of archives into Azure Archive before realising it was no longer readable by Veeam and needed to be rehydrated first, at an estimated cost of $150k.
We ended up writing those backups off.

It's because Veeam stores all its object data in tiny tiny chunks and needs to read the entire thing back in before you can manipulate it. Most of those cold storage options have goatse-level transaction charges.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If the metadata is in small files, it may be more expensive to store it in the deeper tiers, since there are minimum billable sizes.

You can also look at the s3 lifecycle rules. It can transition to infrequent access or glacier tiers on a schedule. It will skip small files, but still watch out for the transaction costs of the conversion.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Good ideas and I appreciate the info. We do off site backups to different sites we own but nothing to the cloud, as a 3rd backup site.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Battery chat - we issue staff with body cameras for security which had issues recently along the lines of the batteries being old and no longer lasting for a full shift, so we paid a pretty penny to get them all replaced.

The guy who looks after them has like 8 of the devices in his office where the batteries are expanding and causing the casing to burst open, which is apparently causing a little bit of alarm when it happens mounted to someones chest haha.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For something that is fairly high power draw and intended to be turned on and drained multiple times a day before charging again it really seems like the sort of device where the battery should be easily swappable.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Not to put too much of a :tinfoil: on but if they weren't easily swappable, wouldn't that give the officers a plausible excuse to not have body cam footage?

:cop: "oh sorry Judge, the battery died just before I beat that suspect for defying me".

Though I concede its more likely not budgeted for in lieu of more guns or something. Or the poster may not be in the US...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
At the same time they also need to be waterproof and impact proof. The battery can't be so easily swapped that it falls out or can be effortlessly removed instantaneously by someone with quick fingers. Also impact proof doesn't mean held in by a single brittle latch.

I'd think unscrewing it and changing the battery would be fine though.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm UK

I don't think its anything nefarious like that because people just either don't draw one at start of shift or don't turn it on if there is going to be any shenanigans.

I don't manage the system so I don't really know why we paid extortionate money to replace batteries you can probably get for £5 off wherever - I get it this time as they are new and probably under warranty

We aren't paying anything so I'm just leaving it alone before it becomes my job

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Not to put too much of a :tinfoil: on but if they weren't easily swappable, wouldn't that give the officers a plausible excuse to not have body cam footage?

:cop: "oh sorry Judge, the battery died just before I beat that suspect for defying me".

That's a feature, not a bug.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RadicalR posted:

Oh boy, we're going to be looking new laptops in the spring. I cannot loving wait - these Dell laptops Latitude 5490,/5590 are loving terrible.

Battery and USB-C issues notwithstanding, the Elitebiook 840/850s have been generally solid and well-designed laptops.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Battery and USB-C issues notwithstanding, the Elitebiook 840/850s have been generally solid and well-designed laptops.

We've been using the AMD variants and they're solidly built.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's a feature, not a bug.

A good chunk of my time in soon to be previous job was spent managing police body and dash cams. If a cop was going to sabotage footage it wouldn't be on the hardware end it'd be in classifying the video when they get back to the PD.

That said I have come in to clean up some truly terrifying setups for police cameras. Its definitely an area where laws haven't kept up with technology. Add in the fact that small towns and departments with low budgets that even want body cams cant get them setup properly and you have a recipe for disaster.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There have been multiple instances of cops getting caught planting evidence when they think their body cams are off, though. Also true they could tamper with it later down the line like when the hard drives storing potentially incriminating footage "fail" coincidentally, or they don't even need to tamper with it because even when footage is presented they get off scot-free.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The fact that there have been instances of cops getting caught planting evidence because they thought their body cams had been successfully disabled means that there are many, many instances we never heard about where they HAD been successfully disabled

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not disputing they dont try and hide body cam or dash cam evidence.

What I'm saying is that what they are FAR more likely to do is end their shift, dock their body cam, and classify the videos as something innocuous that doesn't need saved long term. At least in moderately well thought out and designed systems. The truly cheap poo poo ones yeah they can just physically damage the camera and get away with it. Thankfully those are becoming a lot less common.

The best ones I've seen are essentially cell phones that are chest mounted and recording to a cloud service 24/7 while on. They are extremely expensive however and a lot of departments have not wanted to buy them because they also have very little or any control once the footage leaves the phone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The best ones I've seen are essentially cell phones that are chest mounted and recording to a cloud service 24/7 while on. They are extremely expensive however and a lot of departments have not wanted to buy them because they also have very little or any control once the footage leaves the phone.

Sounds like this version should be mandated as the requirement.

Police not having control/access to evidence against themselves seems like the right way to go.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Could we maybe have these with cheaper batteries that occasionally explode?

I'd be okay with that as a money-saver.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Could we maybe have these with cheaper batteries that occasionally explode?

I'd be okay with that as a money-saver.

Since Axin is probably the biggest manufacturer of bodycams and taser, they should combine them into one product.

No, not the taser that takes a photo when it's fired, we already have that.

A bodycam that tases the users if he tries turning it off or tampering with it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
All near-by body cameras automatically start recording if a taser is pulled from the holster in the UK. From small sample of the 3 police I know here they all really like body cameras as its cut down fake complaints and reduced violence against them.

Police IT content - I interviewed for a job as a programmer working on Police software in the 90s. As part of that they gave me a printed code sample and asked me to find 3 things that needed improving.

Turns out finding 5 errors didn't go down well and they got really defensive !

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm apparently in the minority because I love if someone finds an error in something of mine or gives me a way to improve it or whatever. Granted I'm a systems engineer and not a full time programmer so maybe I don't feel super attached to my code and such, but honestly even other stuff I'm usually pretty happy to learn something new.

I've never felt that my work output is a direct reflection of myself and I don't really stake my ego on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's never something I understood. Like, we all work in an pretty objective field. If something doesn't work...it doesn't work. That's not (always) a reflection on the skill of the person who manages it, sometimes poo poo breaks from bad luck. Yet so many people get defensive over their pet little fiefs that they get personally offended if just asked to rule their portion out. Sometimes a process hangs, and getting the owner to even acknowledge that something's acting abnormally can be like pulling teeth.

Generally speaking, my company's culture is pretty good with this when it comes to outages. Lord knows, I've sat on enough dumb bridge calls that were for the entirely wrong state or system that I still managed to contribute to due to my insane encyclopedic knowledge of this company. But everything else, good luck, it's the normal overly defensive bullshit.