Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

CollegeCop posted:

This. All the time.

:derp: I can’t get email!

:yarr: No one can. Entire company Office 365 is down. Global outage.

:derp: But I need email!

:yarr: It’s down for literally everyone. We’re texting about it because teams died too.

:derp: I need a ticket for my downtime! I need email!

:yarr: :They’re aware. They can’t get email either. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Internet Explorer posted:

Regional IT Director doesn't sound that low level to me. If you don't push back on users you will create a really poo poo culture that you'll never be able to get out from under. Almost every job I've gone into involved properly setting expectations because the previous person(s) sucked at it and they made their lives living hell.

I think that they were saying the user calling in and demanding to be coddled over the phone is the low-level person, not kensei.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I think that they were saying the user calling in and demanding to be coddled over the phone is the low-level person, not kensei.

That makes more sense! Thank you. :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

She never called me again or replied to my emails, so I moved on. I fully expect her to complain to her manager and that to get brought up to me at some point, at which time I will produce the thread and laugh. We have a large amount of coddled employees, since we deal with sales and service it's tolerated from end users to a degree at their level. I do not put up with it, but if the agency presidents want to, I do not care.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Internet Explorer posted:

Regional IT Director doesn't sound that low level to me. If you don't push back on users you will create a really poo poo culture that you'll never be able to get out from under. Almost every job I've gone into involved properly setting expectations because the previous person(s) sucked at it and they made their lives living hell.

Other way around. I was talking about the low level helpdesk person deliberately ignoring the instructions from the regional director.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah! My bad. I read it as Kensei saying they were dealing with the user transition and this person was separate from that. Part of my confusion was that from my perspective these weren't "day 1 users."

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PirateDentist posted:

:derp: I can’t get email!

:yarr: No one can. Entire company Office 365 is down. Global outage.

:derp: But I need email!

:yarr: It’s down for literally everyone. We’re texting about it because teams died too.

:derp: I need a ticket for my downtime! I need email!

:yarr: :They’re aware. They can’t get email either. :fuckoff:

I had a similar exchange with a few people when Google's auth system went down world wide for a couple hours 2 months or so ago. They honestly believed I could somehow fix it for just them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So apparently my work has a company LinkedIn account.
And apparently someone got access and posted a bunch of badmouthing as the company, ABOUT the company and how they worked there for 16 years and nobody stuck up for them and how the place sucks, blah blah blah.

Aaaaaand of course we got a ticket about how the account has "been hacked".

Felt pretty good to respond basically, "sucks for you."

I'm thinking it's probably someone that was given the password at some point and had that poo poo cached in their browser and probably didn't even realize they were logged in as the company when drunk posting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/78837

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So apparently my work has a company LinkedIn account.
And apparently someone got access and posted a bunch of badmouthing as the company, ABOUT the company and how they worked there for 16 years and nobody stuck up for them and how the place sucks, blah blah blah.

Aaaaaand of course we got a ticket about how the account has "been hacked".

Felt pretty good to respond basically, "sucks for you."

I'm thinking it's probably someone that was given the password at some point and had that poo poo cached in their browser and probably didn't even realize they were logged in as the company when drunk posting.

SELECT * FROM tEmployees WHERE DATEDIFF(YY,hiredate,getdate()) = 16

:D

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nope nope nope. No fuckin way, thanks.

Agrikk posted:

SELECT * FROM tEmployees WHERE DATEDIFF(YY,hiredate,getdate()) = 16
:D

lol if we even have that employee record it's in AS400 and I don't think it was a new enough version to use SQL queries.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nope nope nope. No fuckin way, thanks.

lol if we even have that employee record it's in AS400 and I don't think it was a new enough version to use SQL queries.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fuckin AS400 having larger number of characters in the sign in screen when.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's worth checking if the company LinkedIn existed before their breach and if the password was used for anything else.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It's worth checking if the company LinkedIn existed before their breach and if the password was used for anything else.

Narrator voice: It was

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

customer complains about internet being really slow

i ask for speed tests

he's getting the speeds he's supposed to

i think he's just angling for a credit but i guess i gotta see about upselling him??? eff

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shugojin posted:

customer complains about internet being really slow

i ask for speed tests

he's getting the speeds he's supposed to

i think he's just angling for a credit but i guess i gotta see about upselling him??? eff

What about ping and jitter results? Dropped packets? All those things can cause "slowness" even if the throughput is fine. They're also harder to fix than just "oh hey your router settings were hosed"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

orange juche posted:

What about ping and jitter results? Dropped packets? All those things can cause "slowness" even if the throughput is fine. They're also harder to fix than just "oh hey your router settings were hosed"

No idea what he's seeing because he didn't give them, but any tests I run direct to his poo poo have fine ping/jitter measures it's probably not that. So I'm down the hole of finding out what exactly he thinks is slow.

Currently giving excellent odds that I'm gonna find out he's playing a game on something that's got major server issues or something idk

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If a sub's complaining about slow speeds half the time it's their 15 year old computer can't handle 30 IE toolbars.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My favorite cause for slowness was the day the speedtest server died and started spitting out garbage data.

It took a several hour bridge call, a dozen engineers, and the eyes of the highest level of management until someone thought to just try a different server.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Renegret posted:

If a sub's complaining about slow speeds half the time it's their 15 year old computer can't handle 30 IE toolbars.

Are there even 30 IE toolbars to install now? I thought toolbar mania died off a couple years back.

Now it's the people who install 500 extensions that hoover up all their data and send it off.

Shugojin posted:

No idea what he's seeing because he didn't give them, but any tests I run direct to his poo poo have fine ping/jitter measures it's probably not that. So I'm down the hole of finding out what exactly he thinks is slow.

Currently giving excellent odds that I'm gonna find out he's playing a game on something that's got major server issues or something idk

yeah generally "internet is slow" is someone playing an online game or something that's extremely lag sensitive. Probably distant end server issues if there's nothing between you (ISP) and dude's modem causing issues. Could also be lovely rear end potato computer filled with dust rabbits too though, like a 20 year old dell that looks like it's been through a war or some poo poo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 23, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah I'm not about to try and revive a 20+ year old piece of hardware just to comb through data that wasn't important enough to be migrated back then is what I was getting at.

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it really a breach if you share the login info though?

ITS doesn't have any dominion over the communication platforms or even our website and thank god. I basically said "Well that wasn't smart of you to share your login info, which is why we have rules specifically against that sort of thing. I sure hope you didn't use that password anywhere else either."
I wouldn't want to step on any toes or anything. Particularly since we've been given a tongue lashing for trying to assist those responsible for said platforms in the past.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

orange juche posted:

Are there even 30 IE toolbars to install now? I thought toolbar mania died off a couple years back.

Now it's the people who install 500 extensions that hoover up all their data and send it off.

Beats me. Last time I did computer repair, we were still on windows 7.

I'm super cynical so I just assume everyone who calls into customer service for slow speeds is an idiot with an old rear end computer running windows XP (coin flip if it's on SP 3 or not) with no idea what the internet even is and how it differs from what's saved on your computer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had a client and it took over a year of pestering an ISP to have a tech come take a look and low and behold the connection into the building was lose. Intermittent outages for a year but the ISP phone folks would always ping and say "well it is good."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

What if a dom is complaining about slow speeds?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean I understand why this guy thinks it's our fault because he got affected by some poo poo work someone did that tanked his neighborhood so definitely lost his trust there

He is just also an abusive prick in emails so I hate him

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

What if a dom is complaining about slow speeds?

Use your safe word.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

About two weeks back I called my ISP because I was seeing 0.5 Mbps down on my connection while still seeing ~3 Mbps up, dug into it a bit, and discovered that the chipset of the Virgin Media Homehub 3 is vulnerable to CVE-2017-5693, *and* that it was possibly being leveraged to fire this at some poor sap out in the wild internet. Did a bit of loving around with configuring some blanket deny rules for port 1900, and that got me up about 2Mbps in each direction, so it was time to call in. After a bit of time on hold and some back and forth where I checked for a 5 GHz compatible device in the spare laptop stack, I was asked to plug something in, and miraculously when I did I was getting full speed 150Mbps connections. Then, somehow, without switching any devices from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz, "the WIFI congestion has been resolved" and I was back at a reasonable 20+ Mbps on WIFI without actually changing anything. Next day, I was back up to the usual 60-80Mbps on 2.4Ghz wifi. When asking if they could see this SSDP/port 1900 traffic I was informed that this was impossible. Obviously it had nothing to do with the problem anyway :v:

I honestly feel bad for the frontline support at Virgin Media right now, because the idea of "port" seemed to not be something they are trained on. Knowing what my phone days were like, there was clearly a conversation had with tier 2 while I was on hold.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is it really a breach if you share the login info though?

ITS doesn't have any dominion over the communication platforms or even our website and thank god. I basically said "Well that wasn't smart of you to share your login info, which is why we have rules specifically against that sort of thing. I sure hope you didn't use that password anywhere else either."
I wouldn't want to step on any toes or anything. Particularly since we've been given a tongue lashing for trying to assist those responsible for said platforms in the past.
Yes, it's still a breach. Clearly not one you need to care about, and you've done your due dilligance and made them aware of the potential problems they've caused. Hopefully on record.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arquinsiel posted:

Yes, it's still a breach. Clearly not one you need to care about, and you've done your due dilligance and made them aware of the potential problems they've caused. Hopefully on record.

Oh that poo poo skipped us entirely and got reported to the top of the chain.
I was CC'd and just replied all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Professional evaluation:
rear end == covered.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

I honestly feel bad for the frontline support at Virgin Media right now, because the idea of "port" seemed to not be something they are trained on. Knowing what my phone days were like, there was clearly a conversation had with tier 2 while I was on hold.

I should emphasize the me being cynical part because the vast majority of calls for slow speeds really are legit. And they almost always have a legitimate explanation that should be identifiable in like 30 seconds. 9/10 times it's the customer's equipment or a field issue, .9/10 times there's known contention and the call center rep didn't search for open tickets, and .1/10 it comes across my desk and I get real grumpy because the rep didn't do their job correctly and it's obviously a field problem. Then on the super rare occasion that's so minute that it rounds down to 0, it really is my problem. This is so rare it becomes office gossip for a few days. I've been doing this since July and the number of times I've had a legitimate slow speed issue that I wasn't already aware of due to a larger problem caught by regular monitoring is 0.

My problem comes from my Best Buy days where customers are dumb as hell and would yell at me because I said that their laptop was wireless so why do they have to plug the power cable into the wall?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big Sonicwall VPN bug, the only mitigation seems to be to prevent access to the service by an IP whitelist (yeah I'll just get a list of all those static IPs that home workers are connecting from :laffo:)

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/p...10122173415410/

Rumours are that the emphasis on client version rather than appliance software build point to the clients leaking credentials back to a 3rd party, but that's unconfirmed.

Every day I'm happier that we are aggressively reducing the number of Sonicwalls we have to deal with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Big Sonicwall VPN bug, the only mitigation seems to be to prevent access to the service by an IP whitelist (yeah I'll just get a list of all those static IPs that home workers are connecting from :laffo:)

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/p...10122173415410/

Rumours are that the emphasis on client version rather than appliance software build point to the clients leaking credentials back to a 3rd party, but that's unconfirmed.

Every day I'm happier that we are aggressively reducing the number of Sonicwalls we have to deal with.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me since their higher end products don't use NetExtender and are excluded from the notice.

quote:

The SMA 1000 series is not susceptible to this vulnerability and utilizes clients different from NetExtender.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, if you use the NetExtender 10.X client, no matter what device you connect to (NSA, TZ etc), you're potentially exposed to whatever the vulnerability is?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody is quite sure because Sonicwall have had 18 hours pass since their announcement and said nothing more

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ok, yeah, the way I read it initially it was NetExtender connecting to SMA 100 devices, but once I got down the page it seems like it might affect NetExtender 10.X in general.

I'm wary at the moment it really reads like it might affect SMA 100 devices and NetExtender together.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I should emphasize the me being cynical part because the vast majority of calls for slow speeds really are legit. And they almost always have a legitimate explanation that should be identifiable in like 30 seconds. 9/10 times it's the customer's equipment or a field issue, .9/10 times there's known contention and the call center rep didn't search for open tickets, and .1/10 it comes across my desk and I get real grumpy because the rep didn't do their job correctly and it's obviously a field problem. Then on the super rare occasion that's so minute that it rounds down to 0, it really is my problem. This is so rare it becomes office gossip for a few days. I've been doing this since July and the number of times I've had a legitimate slow speed issue that I wasn't already aware of due to a larger problem caught by regular monitoring is 0.

My problem comes from my Best Buy days where customers are dumb as hell and would yell at me because I said that their laptop was wireless so why do they have to plug the power cable into the wall?
It's a nasty cynicism loop, becaues I'm at the point where I know when something is just a matter of turning the internet box off and on again, and when there's nothing I can do and I need the ISP to step in. It doesn't help that their kit is pretty locked down and lovely either. Back when I first moved to them their routers were just small CISCO devices that I could get a console on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What are people using to analyse DMARC reporting data? We are currently with DMARC Analyser who were really good and cost us $120 per year, and now Mimecast have bought them and our renewal is going to be $510 which is excessive for processing some XML files and putting them on a dashboard.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

What are people using to analyse DMARC reporting data? We are currently with DMARC Analyser who were really good and cost us $120 per year, and now Mimecast have bought them and our renewal is going to be $510 which is excessive for processing some XML files and putting them on a dashboard.

If you have 365, you get free service from Valimail https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2019/06/03/secure-cloud-free-dmarc-monitoring-office-365/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Last I heard "nobody in Ireland uses DMARC so we're not going to either" which is... :smithicide: