Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

lament.cfg posted:

Chromium Edge is Good.

I believe it's pronounced Edgium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

lament.cfg posted:

Chromium Edge is Good.

A correct take. I don't use it because I'm pretty hard in the Google Chrome ecosystem across all my devices (and I'm usually on a Mac or Chromebook anyways), but for a Microsoft browser it's actually really good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people. It does a lot of things really well and it's a great direction for them to go. Hopefully they don't ruin it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im forced to use Chromium Edge and I dont actually hate it. I still prefer Firefox on my home Linux machine but Chromium Edge is perfectly usable.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

A correct take. I don't use it because I'm pretty hard in the Google Chrome ecosystem across all my devices (and I'm usually on a Mac or Chromebook anyways), but for a Microsoft browser it's actually really good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people. It does a lot of things really well and it's a great direction for them to go. Hopefully they don't ruin it.

its my preferred pdf viewer, tbh

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Chredge

I like it. I just wish I could change the splash page search to Google, even though I never use it and search from the address bar, which I did change.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Feersum Edjium

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Posted this in C-SPAM, but:

an update in chrome/chromium-based browsers/apps broke physical media controls in Youtube music (and Youtube?)

The chaser:

..then my friend tells me Edge has actually been pretty good!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really enjoy how Edge integrates your Office account/credentials. It makes setup of new users/machines a few steps faster.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Guess it's time to start Edging

:grin:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edge is good enough to stick with, but not good enough to change because of.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We're getting ready to move everyone from Chrome to Edge because it does SSO into the browser to sync favorites/settings and also better integrates with Defender ATP Network Protection. Tells the user why a page is being blocked instead of just a network reset notification.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok, I'll amend: edge isn't good enough for a home user to switch

Its pretty drat slick without being obviously bad tho, which is a first for a MS browser

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Internet Explorer posted:

We're getting ready to move everyone from Chrome to Edge because it does SSO into the browser to sync favorites/settings and also better integrates with Defender ATP Network Protection. Tells the user why a page is being blocked instead of just a network reset notification.

May be shooting from the hip (and also lol @ username/post combo) but this sounds an awful lot like exactly the same kind of reason why we got into "this site only works in IE, gently caress you" situations in the first place

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

May be shooting from the hip (and also lol @ username/post combo) but this sounds an awful lot like exactly the same kind of reason why we got into "this site only works in IE, gently caress you" situations in the first place

It really is the username that keeps on giving. On the first one, the settings syncing, like RFC2324 said, that's mostly good for workplaces. Chrome will do all the same syncing too, but you need to sign in with a Google account. On the Defender ATP Network Protection, same thing, it's not something that normal users are going to have running. It is web filtering at the client level using Defender to kill the connection and all that happens is Chrome will say "can't load page" and a Windows notification will pop-up, where Microsoft has put in a little integration to just have the browser say "blocked by your company's web filter" or whatever. I don't think either of those will lead to the same IE conundrums of the past.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, until some corporate edict says "we need to have that little integrated popup message, if we can't make it happen in Chrome we need to just disable the whole site if you're not using Edge"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\/\ Everything about that little popup isn't coming from the webpage you visit, its just how the OS tells the browser a thing happened

The fact that edge is sticking to being chromium instead of its own special snowflake should avoid the issues of the past. Remember, IE is from the era of Microsoft writing things that were close, but not quite matching, the standards and then flexing their muscle to force everyone to use it, and IE had its own special rendering engine that did things just a little differently. You could write to detect IE and have 2 versions of the page, you could accept that things were just going to break, or you could force people into the browser you coded against

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be clear I'm talking about intranet sites where the company has control over both the client and the site. I deal daily with internal sites in 2021 that are still IE-only.

I'm not totally sure whether that changes the context any, just that I can easily see how the company can throw up its hands and say "well if we don't get the popup we don't pass audit"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Data Graham posted:

I deal daily with internal sites in 2021 that are still IE-only.
I work for a global SAS provider and we had some billion dollar company customer that had (has?) some bizarre setup where their SSO had to go through IE6 and eventually we got to a point where our system wouldnt play nice with it and they had to stop using our software despite really liking using it because some stakeholder refused to allow their internal process to upgrade past IE6.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Data Graham posted:

To be clear I'm talking about intranet sites where the company has control over both the client and the site. I deal daily with internal sites in 2021 that are still IE-only.

I'm not totally sure whether that changes the context any, just that I can easily see how the company can throw up its hands and say "well if we don't get the popup we don't pass audit"

It doesn't change the context. Also, if your intranet site is triggering the antivirus that its a malicious site, thats a problem.

All this is, literally, is the antivirus built into windows blocking bad websites and telling the browser instead of giving you a windows notification. Thats all it is. It interacts with the code on the website in absolutely zero way.

(Yes I know atp is more than just antivirus, but that doesn't change the ELI5 here)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"My internet blocked. I can't get to chewy.com"

Yup.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jane: I need access to these files to do my job and also as a top-level manager I think I need access to what the company shareholders are discussing in order to help with long-term business planning.

Manager: Please grant user Jane full access to drive X and grant her access to the Shareholders intranet site.

Me: It appears that Jane already has full access to drive X, and is an owner of the Shareholders intranet site because she created it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ghostlight posted:

Jane: I need access to these files to do my job and also as a top-level manager I think I need access to what the company shareholders are discussing in order to help with long-term business planning.

Manager: Please grant user Jane full access to drive X and grant her access to the Shareholders intranet site.

Me: It appears that Jane already has full access to drive X, and is an owner of the Shareholders intranet site because she created it.

...are you me? I get these requests all the time:

I need to be owner of this DL.
You are.
Oh...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

In a similar vein:

Why isn't this job running?

It's disabled.

Who disabled it?!

Uhh... You did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"I need this thing urgently!"
"Ok, it can be done, it's just waiting on you to approve the order"

[time passes, approval remains un-granted]

"Where are we at with this request? It's urgent!"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

In a similar vein:

It's disabled.

Who disabled it?!

Uhh... You did.

I get this all the time with myself. Spend a bunch of time tracing why something isn't working, find that it was disabled (or whatever) by myself with a very nice comment explaining when and why it was disabled.

At least I have enough sense to leave myself notes, if not enough sense to check for those notes in the first place before digging.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm this code is gross, I should refactor it and remove this stupid bit

*code breaks horribly*

*adds comment:* # DO NOT REMOVE

6 months later: Hmm this code is gross, and I am better at doing things, I should be able to fix this now

*code breaks horribly*

*adds comment:* # DEAR DATA GRAHAM 6 MONTHS FROM NOW: REALLY, SERIOUSLY DO NOT REMOVE. YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIX THIS, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Hmm this code is gross, I should refactor it and remove this stupid bit

*code breaks horribly*

*adds comment:* # DO NOT REMOVE

6 months later: Hmm this code is gross, and I am better at doing things, I should be able to fix this now

*code breaks horribly*

*adds comment:* # DEAR DATA GRAHAM 6 MONTHS FROM NOW: REALLY, SERIOUSLY DO NOT REMOVE. YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIX THIS, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE

Load bearing comments

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

AlexDeGruven posted:

In a similar vein:

It's disabled.

Who disabled it?!

Uhh... You did.

"Why does this VM have 16 cores?"

"Server was built to requested spec. Requester: You. If I recall I objected to this build at the time and you yelled at me about it, went over my head, and we ended up giving it to you anyways."

"Oh. Well our SQL licensing won't use those, when can you bring it down to 4 cores?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've never seen anyone in my professional experience say anything about the fact that giving a VM more resources can slow it down if it already has enough. Leads to some hilarious "my vm is beefy as hell and no one can figure out why its slow" convos

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

RFC2324 posted:

I've never seen anyone in my professional experience say anything about the fact that giving a VM more resources can slow it down if it already has enough. Leads to some hilarious "my vm is beefy as hell and no one can figure out why its slow" convos

This is why we don't provision vms with more than 8 cores. You want something beefier, buy dedicated hardware. I've had to explain how CPU slicing works a bunch of times at this point.

That interaction was with a dba with an intermittent attitude problem.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Raerlynn posted:

You can just say dba

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

i am a moron posted:

You can just say dba

not emptyquoting

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

This is why we don't provision vms with more than 8 cores. You want something beefier, buy dedicated hardware. I've had to explain how CPU slicing works a bunch of times at this point.

You are my people.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Ghostlight posted:

Followed up by a ticket several hours later about how their site is now missing (because they deleted it).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlexDeGruven posted:

In a similar vein:

It's disabled.

Who disabled it?!

Uhh... You did.

"Why is this enabled?"
"We enabled it last year as a part of this ticket which you signed off on."
"Yes but we disabled it this year in ticket X"
"Ticket X is worded in such a way that it implies it should only be disabled for Z Users. It was tested by the person who requested ticket X and they signed off on it."
"yes so it was disabled, but you re-enabled it? Why?"
"I didn't re-enable it, i disabled it for Z Users, as per this ticket."
"But it's active now, why did you do that?"
"Are you saying that you want it disabled for everyone?"
"Yes but I need to know why you enabled it in the first place."

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I do this all the time. I've actually proven it twice, by radically downsizing people's VMs and showing them how the performance improves, and the same people keep coming back wanting bigass VMs. It would drive me to despair except that I can now deliver the lecture on autopilot while doing more interesting work.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my VM is slow as poo poo but it's definitely not because my code reads a file in 1-byte blocks on a single thread or loops through every item every time it's used

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What does everyone use for ticketing and what does it cost you per agent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I will never hesitate to recommend FreshService or FreshDesk