Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

klosterdev posted:

Starting to think that ctrl+win+c is the sweet spot of vividly reminding people in I.T. to lock their computers without being an rear end in a top hat about it.

I did not know this was a thing :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

klosterdev posted:

Starting to think that ctrl+win+c is the sweet spot of vividly reminding people in I.T. to lock their computers without being an rear end in a top hat about it.

MY MONITOR IS BROKEN, I CAN'T WORK LIKE THIS!

GET ME A NEW ONE!! :byodood:

edit: Oh, people in IT :cripes:.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've tried that combo and never had it do anything.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wibla posted:

Haven't people heard of dymo labelmakers?! :cripes:

I mentioned dymo labelling on one of the discord channels i frequent and someone said "who even uses those things".

EVERYONE.

EVERYONE DOES.

USE THEM.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
When you say dymo labeller, you mean the clear black type on thin white labels kind and not the "punch whitish letters into green vinyl" kind, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brady nylon labels are the nuts

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

ilkhan posted:

I've tried that combo and never had it do anything.

You need Windows 10 + Fall Creators Update

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weatherman posted:

When you say dymo labeller, you mean the clear black type on thin white labels kind and not the "punch whitish letters into green vinyl" kind, right?

Those old squeeze type labellers were the poo poo. Everything had that vintage 50s feel to it when you stuck the white on red labels on it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those old squeeze type labellers were the poo poo. Everything had that vintage 50s feel to it when you stuck the white on red labels on it.

My dudes they still make those.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I've never seen an url like that before.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Shadyurl could learn a thing or two from that link.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

TheParadigm posted:

Shadyurl could learn a thing or two from that link.

Oh wow, no poo poo. :aaa:

dymo.com/en-CA/organizer-xpress<sup>®<-sup>-labelmanager-organizer-xpress--1

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: gently caress that's bad, I didn't even see that when posting it

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean. It's not pretty, but it's fine? Bit of escaped HTML not gonna hurt you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Merijn posted:

Oh wow, no poo poo. :aaa:

dymo.com/en-CA/organizer-xpress<sup>®<-sup>-labelmanager-organizer-xpress--1

Oh wow, I didn't know you could use extended chars in a URL.

BRB, going to register some domains that look pretty but are impossible for most people to type.

EDIT: gently caress you goDaddy and your lovely, lying search page:

https://uk.godaddy.com/dpp/find?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=%C2%AE.co.uk

spog fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 5, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks to Punycode you can have pretty much any character you want in a domain name.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just know that they are terrible to manage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Weatherman posted:

Yep, never used the other ones. Kind of want to.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Alright, pissing me off.

A slow creep of users having issues with Outlook search. Outlook 2013/2016, running on 0365 Hybrid. Search just suddenly quits indexing new emails. So people will start noticing say a week or two after it begins - they'll have an email from, say, yesterday, but it doesn't show up if you search for it. Its there for manual looking, but searching just fails. Its like Outlook picks a date/time, and any email after that will never be searched. And we can't seem to fix it.

The only solution that's worked so far is a full wipe/reinstall.

We tried everything under the sun related to rebuilding the search index. Tried uninstall and reinstall of office, along with blowing the email profile away first. Tried blowing away the user profile on the PC. Nothing works but a full reinstall.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so - any solutions?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Siochain posted:

Alright, pissing me off.

Disable the search and indexing service in it's entirety. It's the only way to get it to stop using the broken indexes and actually go back and search stuff manually. In outlook that means maybe 5-10 seconds to search a huge multi-GB .OST file, which everyone I've used the fix on agrees is tons better than faster but also wrong search results.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Disable the search and indexing service in it's entirety. It's the only way to get it to stop using the broken indexes and actually go back and search stuff manually. In outlook that means maybe 5-10 seconds to search a huge multi-GB .OST file, which everyone I've used the fix on agrees is tons better than faster but also wrong search results.

I never even thought of that, hahah. Alright, I'll give it a whirl.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

klosterdev posted:

You need Windows 10 + Fall Creators Update
I'm on whatever the current insider build is...

It supposedly goes into color filter mode. Interesting. The settings panel for the feature has a toggle to enable/disable the shortcut, and it was turned off. Interesting effect.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 5, 2018

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Entropic posted:

Those type of breaker boxes are everywhere around here and I’ve never ever seen one labeled well. Usually it’s scrawled in faded pencil in the inscrutable handwriting of some 1980s electrician.

I got super-lucky at home. My breaker box is properly and accurately labeled in 20-year-old ball-point ink.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Siochain posted:

Alright, pissing me off.

A slow creep of users having issues with Outlook search. Outlook 2013/2016, running on 0365 Hybrid. Search just suddenly quits indexing new emails. So people will start noticing say a week or two after it begins - they'll have an email from, say, yesterday, but it doesn't show up if you search for it. Its there for manual looking, but searching just fails. Its like Outlook picks a date/time, and any email after that will never be searched. And we can't seem to fix it.

The only solution that's worked so far is a full wipe/reinstall.

We tried everything under the sun related to rebuilding the search index. Tried uninstall and reinstall of office, along with blowing the email profile away first. Tried blowing away the user profile on the PC. Nothing works but a full reinstall.

I’ve run into this several times but it’s usually solved by either rebuilding the outlook profile or rebuilding the search index. We’ve had a couple users with recurring instances but I kind of wrote it off as them being poo poo at deleting anything and left it at the ultimatum of them cleaning it up or I wasn’t touching anything else. Haven’t heard back.

I think one or two came in today so I’ll take a look again with a different eye on things.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

I got super-lucky at home. My breaker box is properly and accurately labeled in 20-year-old ball-point ink.

My house's breaker box was a blank slate, I've got about a third of them now labelled (in pencil :effort:) as I track down and work on all the electrical problems this stupid loving aluminum wiring causes

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
A text from a friend who is a unit secretary came in:

"Our printer is on the fritz again :\

Wait, I fixed it. It needed toner. I swear nobody can do anything for themselves here, you're a doctor for gods sake figure it out."

I thanked her profusely for being competent and this is why we're friends.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Ugato posted:

I’ve run into this several times but it’s usually solved by either rebuilding the outlook profile or rebuilding the search index. We’ve had a couple users with recurring instances but I kind of wrote it off as them being poo poo at deleting anything and left it at the ultimatum of them cleaning it up or I wasn’t touching anything else. Haven’t heard back.

I think one or two came in today so I’ll take a look again with a different eye on things.

Yeah, we've done the profile/search indexes/uninstall-reinstall, etc. Log into their profile on another PC? Works 100%. It almost seems like the profile gets "full", and just won't index anything new. Disabling windows search DOES fix the issue, but searches do seem to be fairly slow. I've only tried that workaround on a couple of older PC's, so I'll try it on one of the newer ones to see if it seems to help.

I appreciate the input all. And let me know if you see anything else that might help.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Oyster posted:

A text from a friend who is a unit secretary came in:

"Our printer is on the fritz again :\

Wait, I fixed it. It needed toner. I swear nobody can do anything for themselves here, you're a doctor for gods sake figure it out."

I thanked her profusely for being competent and this is why we're friends.
Not just a friend, but a hero.

I get the other kind of friend. "Hey, Macaroni! I told my distant acquaintance in Radiology that you're The Tech Guru, so can I have him call you with this question that is completely out of your jurisdiction? Oh wait, I already gave him your number. Thanks!"

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Sigh. User calls in saying that when she tries to open picture attachment, it opens with an error message saying she needs to be connected to the Internet. My co-worker just attaches the screenshots and does no troubleshooting. The user calls back and speaks with one of my co-workers who just notes in the ticket that this is only affecting emails in one of her email addresses (she has two). I get a hold of the user and have her open the attachment and note that Outlook is trying to open the file as HTML. Hmmmm, I wonder what the issue is. :rolleyes: Two minutes later and two changes to default programs, she can open JPG attachments. My co-workers are so lazy, and I end up doing so much more drat work than them.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

JackOfferman posted:

battered wife syndrome post

Get the gently caress out.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

DigitalMocking posted:

You know, I zoned out in the middle of this post. But when you take longer to simply explain the structure and dynamics of the situation you’re in than I have attention span, it’s probably time to :yotj:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ugato posted:

You know, I zoned out in the middle of this post. But when you take longer to simply explain the structure and dynamics of the situation you’re in than I have attention span, it’s probably time to :yotj:
:same: I can't read all that but I know it's bad. Time to flee!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Those of you that didn't read all of the post missed the part where management asked IT to provide support for drones.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fijitsu's new LAN port on laptops is pretty great. Too thin? gently caress no.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

That's really neat, but all I can think is that a shitload of them are going to get broken the first time someone tries to remove the ethernet cable and just yanks the drat thing out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I wonder how sturdy they are. We do buy accidental damage on all our HP laptops for those sorts of reasons.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If they have good engineers either tab breaks as per standard or it snaps open by overcoming a spring.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I've been told they're designed with a stresspoint of failure and to be replaceable, but they don't sell replacements by themselves. You have to get them serviced.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Xjack had that back in like...1992