Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

gently caress if I know! I didn't join the bridge.

Haven't heard anything back so I guess they figured it out or something.

It's either that, or they actually need to run a command to enable the cards and can't figure that simple fact out even with vendor/NOC support.

(I've been in on a call for that one happening, and it's very entertaining to watch :munch:.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evobatman posted:

It will technically Power On Self Test, and then it will fail the Power On Self Test with a beep code or diagnostic light. In that sense it does post, but nothing more.

It's been literally 20 years since I've done that kind of testing with components (and I'm not that old - this was a computer camp when I was young, no I didn't play sports as a kid how did you know?), but boy do I remember beep codes. I mean I don't remember which code is which, because that would be spergalicious and I think also changes from board to board, I just remember testing components one by one and getting different codes. And then I remember five years later when someone showed me a POST code PCI board and I was like "well beep codes can just go ahead and gently caress right off because this is clearly superior".

So get a POST code thing, or buy a motherboard that has one built in (I think a bunch of high-end gaming ones do so you can see exactly what's loving up when you overclock it to 88 GHz in order to see some serious poo poo).

edit: this doohickey

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Super Soaker Party! posted:

So get a POST code thing, or buy a motherboard that has one built in (I think a bunch of high-end gaming ones do so you can see exactly what's loving up when you overclock it to 88 GHz in order to see some serious poo poo).

Please do this. Having a little readout right on your damned board when things get stupid is so valuable. Especially at home where you may not have a pile of compatible parts to do testing with.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can merge ~14,000 PDF files (1/2pg each) into a single file? Some kind of powershell utility or something?

:chaostrump:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Papa John Misty posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can merge ~14,000 PDF files (1/2pg each) into a single file? Some kind of powershell utility or something?

Let me introduce you to my friend 7-zip

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renegret posted:

Client: Hey we did a maintenance last night and replaced a whole bunch of line cards in our equipment. Also or some reason everything on those line cards is no longer working. Anyway we think this is a problem with your system and we need you to join a bridge call.

Hey, I have a better idea.

How about no.

Somebody was giving our helpdesk a load of poo poo today because they had a third party come in and replace their firewalls without talking to us and now none of their poo poo works.

Pretty much the expected outcome, not sure what you want us to do about any of it though.

Edit: At least in your case they said they'd hosed with it though. Our guys just played it dumb until it was obvious we knew what they'd done.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 20, 2018

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

devmd01 posted:

This is why when my wife and her teacher friends are planning drinks after school, it’s “poetry club,” because their email can be FOIA’ed.

Ah, yeah. We have offsite debriefings.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Papa John Misty posted:

code:
pdfunite *.pdf out.pdf
Could probably also use gs, but I couldn't recall the syntax if I tried....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Papa John Misty posted:

Why? :f5:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A ~request from Legal~

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Had a fun issue with Spectrum yesterday with their business VOIP service for a clients PBX. PBX would get the call, SIP signaling and RTP looked perfect between the SBC and PBX, two way RTP and proper signaling packets. But on the actual call you would hear a network message from Spectrum saying they were having network issues and to call back later instead of the clients main menu message. Customer contacted Spectrum first properly, but they swore it wasn't them. I get involved and find everything looks fine between the SBC and our PBX and can offer a pcap trace as proof. 3 escalations later Spectrum still couldn't solve the issue, left conference with them swearing they would fix it and contact the client directly.

Talked to client today and all I got from him was that everything is fine now and Spectrum had "hosed up so many things" on his VOIP setup on their end.

Spectrum sucks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Papa John Misty posted:

Use python and https://pypi.org/project/PyPDF2/

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

AlternateAccount posted:

Please do this. Having a little readout right on your damned board when things get stupid is so valuable. Especially at home where you may not have a pile of compatible parts to do testing with.

3rding this. I actually used it on my last board and it probably saved me hours of pulling my hair out by pointing me in the right direction in the time it took to open the mobo manual. I won't build a home pc without one now.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

It's been literally 20 years since I've done that kind of testing with components (and I'm not that old - this was a computer camp when I was young, no I didn't play sports as a kid how did you know?), but boy do I remember beep codes. I mean I don't remember which code is which, because that would be spergalicious and I think also changes from board to board, I just remember testing components one by one and getting different codes. And then I remember five years later when someone showed me a POST code PCI board and I was like "well beep codes can just go ahead and gently caress right off because this is clearly superior".

edit: this doohickey

I was not even aware these were a thing. I'm just used to getting a series of beeps and googling the motherboard and beep code info.

TBH, I took a crash course in computer repair back in high school, which was over a decade ago, and picked up the rest of what I know from loving around with my own computers. Really, I was just frustrated that that option was disabled, because it being such just wasted a whole bunch of time that didn't need to be wasted.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My week of cool backup problems draws to a close. vCenter is completely broken after an attempted upgrade to 6.7 and now all my backups for the office are failed and on fire. I get to rebase the whole host cluster once we snapshot rollback vCenter to where it would stay online long enough to allow jobs to finish.

Still absolutely no idea what is going on with the problem I brought up a day or two ago.

NOT MY PROBLEM IN 15 MINUTES (until Monday)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rorac posted:

I was not even aware these were a thing. I'm just used to getting a series of beeps and googling the motherboard and beep code info.

TBH, I took a crash course in computer repair back in high school, which was over a decade ago, and picked up the rest of what I know from loving around with my own computers. Really, I was just frustrated that that option was disabled, because it being such just wasted a whole bunch of time that didn't need to be wasted.

Those things were so great back in the beige box era of computing.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My week of cool backup problems draws to a close. vCenter is completely broken after an attempted upgrade to 6.7 and now all my backups for the office are failed and on fire. I get to rebase the whole host cluster once we snapshot rollback vCenter to where it would stay online long enough to allow jobs to finish.

Still absolutely no idea what is going on with the problem I brought up a day or two ago.

NOT MY PROBLEM IN 15 MINUTES (until Monday)

I don't think I've ever NOT seen major problems when people upgrade to a new VMware release on GA. So many bugs pop up that end up getting squashed by U1

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lightning Jim posted:

I don't think I've ever NOT seen major problems when people upgrade to a new VMware release on GA. So many bugs pop up that end up getting squashed by U1

Also I mean you have to wait for Veeam to update to support it anyway so I don't understand who all these people are upgrading vCenter week one.

I mean I suppose it's outwardly possible there are people who don't use Veeam but surely people can't be that stupid </veeamzombie>

(join us)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Also I mean you have to wait for Veeam to update to support it anyway so I don't understand who all these people are upgrading vCenter week one.

I mean I suppose it's outwardly possible there are people who don't use Veeam but surely people can't be that stupid </veeamzombie>

(join us)

One of my vendors is complaining because Veeam breaks their database application and my argument is, if you don't support an organization on Veeam, you're not finished developing your software.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Papa John Misty posted:

A ~request from Legal~

Hope given the smiley on the post it is the Trump equivalent of https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/clinton-email-operator-may-have-asked-reddit-for-help/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's true

The piss tape is actually 14,000 PDFs

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in yesterday afternoon:

2:35PM: ldap server for our ServiceNow instance is down, nobody can log in. Start investigating.

2:45PM: isolated the issue to an edge router at our main datacenter, it affects everything, have service desk start drafting an outage notification

2:50PM: get service interruption notice from our data center

3:16PM: services restored, get all clear from data center, the team fucks off to the microbrewery down the street

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 21, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Papa John Misty posted:

It's true

The piss tape is actually 14,000 PDFs

This is the worst flipbook I have ever seen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zil posted:

This is the worst flipbook I have ever seen.

LaTeX is cruel, but fair

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So, my generally shitheap financial company which was caught in the 70's is changing. We got a new CIO who was put in place to clean up a lot of poo poo. I even got the major purchases I've been asking for since I started this job. We've gotten people to stop being walking HR violations and that alone is amazing. Also, sometimes people don't silo everything off anymore, and sometimes the CIO is now putting a stop to silos. It's improving.

However, we have a basic problem here, which I wanted to ask the thread wisdom about, because I feel I'm missing something as is:

We have tons people who have a poo poo experience accessing files from their network share. Specifically it's a ton of users opening outlook archives across the share and giant excel files across the share. Most sites are hilariously bandwidth constrained, yet the CIFS share isn't showing any sort of performance warning as I think it averages it's metrics which it only gathers every 60 seconds, etc. At the same time, when I have an agent on some of these people's machines monitoring their quality of experience, it's showing enormous CIFS/SMB application latency to the share. All of these users are at site A, the share is at site B (HQ) and not very far at all geographically (10 miles away). Outlook freezes up accessing parts of the archive (across the share), and excel tends to freeze up with their giant excel files. Laptops all have 7200RPM shitters and not SSD because :downs: company. Also mostly windows 10 environment for the users. I see huge bandwidth spikes just clicking around the PST, possibly enough to support not enough bandwidth but other sides with a poo poo experience also have plenty of extra bandwidth. /endrant

In trying to identify the cause of the poo poo experience, am I missing something between a: outlook not supporting opening an archived PST in a network share and b: the exact same share being used for the pst's also being used for the giant excel files ? Storage/network share folks just sitting saying their poo poo is fine. I'm still wondering why it's identifying it as both CIFS and SMB, if that means something is hosed up in how it's transferring data?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CIFS and SMB is the same thing.

Also what's silo in this context?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I wasn't sure why CIFS/SMB were somehow identified separately. Noise I guess.

Silo in this context is 2-3 teams buying poo poo that does the same thing - usually after having dedicated tools and shared access, or not telling other teams the poo poo they're doing (which impacts the other team), or people literally hiding the poo poo they're doing because they know they're doing it wrong.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure why CIFS/SMB were somehow identified separately. Noise I guess.

Silo in this context is 2-3 teams buying poo poo that does the same thing - usually after having dedicated tools and shared access, or not telling other teams the poo poo they're doing (which impacts the other team), or people literally hiding the poo poo they're doing because they know they're doing it wrong.
Ah yeah of course.

So in any case using PST's over the network is a bad idea. That adobe stuff also doesn't really sound like a winner when used over SMB. I think you need to start doing some local replication and caching or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SMB really hates non-LAN latencies, SMB3 improves this a fair bit but you don't say what version you're running.

PSTs off a network share (over a WAN) is a big no - consider moving archives into Office 365 (https://products.office.com/en-gb/exchange/microsoft-exchange-online-archiving-email) if you aren't yet ready to move the whole mail service and work with the company to set sane retention policies to stop people hoarding things forever that could come back and bite you.

You might be a candidate for testing out Azure File Sync (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-for-azure-file-sync/) rather than building out a DFSR environment.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We have tons people who have a poo poo experience accessing files from their network share. Specifically it's a ton of users opening outlook archives across the share and giant excel files across the share. Most sites are hilariously bandwidth constrained, yet the CIFS share isn't showing any sort of performance warning as I think it averages it's metrics which it only gathers every 60 seconds, etc. At the same time, when I have an agent on some of these people's machines monitoring their quality of experience, it's showing enormous CIFS/SMB application latency to the share.

Wow, similar experience. Opening PSTs over a network share barely works when it works, and seems like it's a time bomb for Outlook completely making GBS threads itself and the PSTs becoming heavily corrupted after a few months. We've gotten most people migrated, but it was standard, trained practice to create a shitload of PSTs on a network share when I started. Ffs.

What agent did you use to do the SMB monitoring?

No one seems to believe me when I say hey, opening 20MB+ Excel files with tons of links over SMB from across the country is bad policy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AlternateAccount posted:

No one seems to believe me when I say hey, opening 20MB+ Excel files with tons of links over SMB from across the country is bad policy.

I hate to say it, but this is what sharepoint is for.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, similar experience. Opening PSTs over a network share barely works when it works, and seems like it's a time bomb for Outlook completely making GBS threads itself and the PSTs becoming heavily corrupted after a few months. We've gotten most people migrated, but it was standard, trained practice to create a shitload of PSTs on a network share when I started. Ffs.

What agent did you use to do the SMB monitoring?

I used the solarwinds QOE agent out of sheer laziness because it's watching network response time separate from application response time from the perspective of the machine it's installed on. It's good for this, it's useless for HTTPS traffic.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

notwithoutmyanus posted:

In trying to identify the cause of the poo poo experience, am I missing something between a: outlook not supporting opening an archived PST in a network share and b: the exact same share being used for the pst's also being used for the giant excel files ? Storage/network share folks just sitting saying their poo poo is fine. I'm still wondering why it's identifying it as both CIFS and SMB, if that means something is hosed up in how it's transferring data?

Anything SMB is dogshit once your latency goes above about <1 ms. Once you're outside the local network, SMB goes from kinda ok, to dumpster fire tier in a hurry. Office products are especially bad at it because of how the user experience works, especially with complex cross-linked excel files. Excel will hang outright and just sorta sit there until the file downloads, then it'll open, then lock up resolving every single linked entry to another excel file or external data source. THEN once it's all done, will it load. On a 15MB Xlsx file, that can be upwards of 4 minutes over a 20 mbit VPN link. If the user clicks it a bunch, tries to open it a half dozen times, or force kills it and reopen it, it can corrupt the file hard.

Best solution I've found is DFS shares and a local copy of all files, with a decent replication policy in place.

Outlook and large PSTS over the network is a great way to spend a billion dollars trying to resolve an issue that's best fixed with a good backup policy, local PSTs files, and a ssd for the special snowflakes you just absolutely need 50 years of emails going back to the days of the SPARC mainframe they first sent ASCII nudes to eachother on.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I used the solarwinds QOE agent out of sheer laziness because it's watching network response time separate from application response time from the perspective of the machine it's installed on. It's good for this, it's useless for HTTPS traffic.

Thanks! And yes, I loathe SharePoint as much as the next sane man, but anyone still using SMB shares for document collaboration is insane.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Westworld is back and let us use this show to remember it could always be worse.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Westworld is back and let us use this show to remember it could always be worse.

I don't know man, I'd take even a season 1 spoilers corrupt and killhappy Maeve Millay over 95% of the dipshits I work with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

An exited employee came back in:

quote:

**** BTW is coming back today because he needs to copy off his 10GB of west world vids

:cripes: I will never get this office under control

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Coming up next season: Westworld’s management implements ITIL and all the robots give up and kill themselves rather than do all the paperwork.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

An exited employee came back in:

:cripes: I will never get this office under control

I'm sorry, we have already wiped his workstation/partition/user folder/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Anything SMB is dogshit once your latency goes above about <1 ms. Once you're outside the local network, SMB goes from kinda ok, to dumpster fire tier in a hurry. Office products are especially bad at it because of how the user experience works, especially with complex cross-linked excel files. Excel will hang outright and just sorta sit there until the file downloads, then it'll open, then lock up resolving every single linked entry to another excel file or external data source. THEN once it's all done, will it load. On a 15MB Xlsx file, that can be upwards of 4 minutes over a 20 mbit VPN link. If the user clicks it a bunch, tries to open it a half dozen times, or force kills it and reopen it, it can corrupt the file hard.

Best solution I've found is DFS shares and a local copy of all files, with a decent replication policy in place.

Outlook and large PSTS over the network is a great way to spend a billion dollars trying to resolve an issue that's best fixed with a good backup policy, local PSTs files, and a ssd for the special snowflakes you just absolutely need 50 years of emails going back to the days of the SPARC mainframe they first sent ASCII nudes to eachother on.

Welp, this is what I expected. I suggested DFS and a backup solution for end users, got a blank stare. Gonna show this to the CIO and laugh my rear end off when I have to explain all the poo poo that lead up to it.