Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our Fortinet puked for no reason at 3:45pm

Couldn't ping it, couldn't console in, nobody could get online, power-cycled the fucker and it's been okay since.

Fortinet tech remoted in, checked out the logs, didn't see anything weird, said "It was probably up too long"

Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

*** This is a system generated email. Please do not respond to this message. ***

Dear Customer,

This email is to inform you that your ticket has been updated.

Ticket Title: Fortigate stopped responding
Ticket Status: Researching
Updated by xxxxxxxxxx at 1/4/2018 11:01:25 AM
Hello xxxxxx

Thank you for taking my call today.
The unit became irresponsiv
Looking into the crashlog we did not see any clue related to the non responsiveness of the Fortigate.
-The system log shows high cpu or high memory
-The unit does not seems to have been rebooted for more than a year, which can cause some processes to hang. In this case only a reboot can solve the issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FungiCap posted:

Shame because I actually like the feature-set and how things are organized for FortiGate's but their reliability is so poo poo I would never put them in production again as a network engineer if I had the option.

When we first got them, we were breaking the internal storage because we had logging turned on, so we switched over to Foritcloud after they realized that was hapening to people (took them two months) and pushed out some updates.

I also just racked a couple of those for my old employer, they switched to Fortigate company-wide....ugh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm worried. The police department wants to use the house wireless network for uploading their body cam footage. We have nice stuff ( Extreme wireless 3825 and 3965's, about 100 in total ) but I'm genuinely worried about overall performance when 5 or 6 of them pull up to a fire station, hook into the outdoor AP's and start pushing gigs upon gigs of video across it, especially considering the fact that a lot of the outlying areas have older switches that can only support 1 gig SFP's in addition to saturating the shared bandwidth of the radios, then throw in a full conversion to VOIP this year. This will also throw the wireless, which is generally considered a luxury now, into a public safety issue if something goes awry. Apparently using their air cards is cost prohibitive :(

Police murdered 5 puppies...footage was unrecoverable due to 'technical issues'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have an Adtran in my server rack, just waiting to be plugged back in when the Fartinet craps out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I can tell you that the expensive firewalls have quirks of their own. 15 minutes before quitting time today, something went wonky with our *VERY* expensive Checkpoint 15000 HA pair. We pushed an application rule to block snapchat and something glitched. The primary poo poo itself completely, but not in such a way that the HA backup would sense it and take over. Forced a failover to the secondary, but it still didn't want to work right.
Long time ago we had a HA checkpoint setup that never failed over right. Spent like $10k in the licenses and installation and servers to run it on...our switch did something goofy with ports and caching Mac addresses so it never saw the failover switch, boss wouldn't spend $400 on a new switch so we had to walk across the street to power it down manually each time one failed.

After about two trips in the cold and snow I bought a UPS with a web interface for the power outlets :effort:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

vendor left an IP phone for us to play with for the week. CEO (owners wife) comes in and asks about it, complains because the handset isn't cordless

Ughhhh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Many people already have headsets (that will work with the new phones) but it's just her trying to find something to complain about

"It'd be nice to not have a cord, I've seen phones like that"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

No one could access their files for an hour because the datacentre suspended us for not paying a £20 late payment fee. You do fine work, finance department.

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A friend sent me a message, the county government I live in is hiring for a programming position. Pay sucks though, maxes out at 60k :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We had a GD here that sneeze and say and spray all over her screen, her iMac looked ten times worse than that. Never cleaned the drat thing either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

We put a cell phone extender in 2 offices that we have because we're in a poo poo cell phone reception area.

Nobody wants to sit by the 'cancer box'. So they'll unplug it and think we won't know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our clients has this in their office

Not had the Wi-Fi survey done yet, could be interesting.

Do they keep a gimp in there? And let him out to go change toners and stuff?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:haw: Hey Bob, we haven't gotten any work orders this week and CBRE sent us this. Is this something you need to do to my PC?

Attachment reads:

UPDATE: ADDITIONAL STEPS NEEDED BY THIS FRIDAY, 1/19
To avoid delayed or lost email notifications/alerts from your Corrigo platform, please complete these additional steps by EOD Friday, 1/19. Please forward this Update to your IT resources or IT team. As Corrigo migrates our SMTP traffic to new IP addresses, the below Email Whitelisting Instructions will ensure that your operational emails from Corrigo will not be throttled or held up by your ISP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

Change the SSID to "HEALING ENERGY WAVES"
:lol:
Put a big ol chunk of Himalayan salt by the antenna

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Did they ask you to change the number to match the cards so they wouldn't have to reprint them?

Fix them for free with an Avery label!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Because of the quality of the devices, right? Not because of that godawful annoying PTT.

*BLOOP-BLEEP*

HEY BOB DID YOU GO TO LUNCH YET?

*BLOOP*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got some neat patches and some new cables, gonna fix up the poo poo closet here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AT&T down for anyone else?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Why are emails being delayed? <whoever> sent me an email at 8:47 and it just came in at 9:07a."

:derp:

Should I reply with:

"It's not called instant messenger"

"Your fat rear end didn't even get to work until 8:52"

"Rackspace is looking into it"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our standard accounting laptop is:
Lenovo P51
512GB NVME
16GB RAM

:lol:

Because otherwise Excel doesn't work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Wow... We go bottom of the barrel, because no one needs an i7 for office work.

Other than servers, We don't have a single machine, desktop or laptop, that has more than 8GB and anything faster than a i5. i3 is far more common. SSD at the least is standard though, I don't get machines with HDDs anymore.

i3/i5
4-8GB
128GB SSD

Thats all anyone here needs.

We do that for everyone, but we do a 256GB SSD because Windows likes hogging space, huge local OST/PST files, blah blah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

What's 16gb and 512gb in this day and age anyway? Pretty standard stuff imo.

It's about $2600 from PC Connection with a dock.

Really that spec isn't very high, I agree. I guess we will replace that with something like a quad-core T480 in the next few months, probably saving $500-$800?

We used to use a T520 or something which saves quite a few bucks over a full workstation like a W or P

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah i'm 100% okay with giving finance and accounting overpowered laptops so they can brute force their way through pivot tables rather than calling us in

Our guys export 300,000 rows from our database and then do queries and poo poo on it in Excel. I get it, you know how to work with it, but guess what you can do the same thing in seconds if you just use the drat database.

Part of this to blame is the owner of the company made two of our accounting people 'data analysts' and they spend all their time trying to find places to save very small sums of money, create redundant data, blah blah. Useless.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Merijn posted:

You guys should watch Scorpion. There's 3 or 4 seasons on Netflix and it's the ultimate relaxing tech bullshit show. Most episodes are just your average detective show but sometimes they ramp up the action to ridiculous heights. Like in the pilot where they fix a low-flying airplane from a speeding Lambo

Yea, there's a loving USB port on the underside of the plane :lol:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Renegret posted:

Staples tech support is so bad that even geek squad makes fun of them

Let that sink in for a bit

Office manager sent the Staples office supply rep to me. Wants to quote us on Dell and other technology needs, and quotes us on a VoIP system....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

Luckily i've already asked the boss about working from home and he's very much "how would i know if people are actually working".

I had a previous job like that which was weird because we had like 5 remote employees, but if you lived near the office you couldn't work from home, ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The best part of my old boss that didn't approve of remote work if you lived close enough to the office...he worked from his house in Arizona half the year (we're in Michigan)

Fortis posted:

But this is a company where the CEO famously said “people are here to work, not be entertained” about headphones, so I guess we should have seen it coming.

We can wear a headphone in one ear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Fijitsu's new LAN port on laptops is pretty great. Too thin? gently caress no.

Xjack had that back in like...1992

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I can't be the only person who sees a ruggedised milspec laptop on TV and thinks "yes, that is what I want".

I wanted a Tadpole or that fake SGI laptop from Twister so bad when I was a youngin'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ahhh.... March Madness (NCAA Basketball Tournament) bracket time

Please flood the helpdesk with issues regarding:
  • Not getting emails from your tournament
  • Invites not sending out properly
  • Not being able to login to your tournament website
  • Some idiot told people to email hr@ourcompany.com to sign up, so our HRIS software thinks they are resumes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Make sure the resumes and cover letters you're sending out are good. I'm an old (36) so when I last started job searching, I wrote up what I was always told to do years ago, and wasn't getting many bites; then I spent a couple of days voraciously reading https://www.askamanager.org and re-writing the stuff I was sending out, and immediately got a few bites (literally within a week had the interview for the job I have now).

Yea, don't be afraid to re-write and use new words especially if it's not getting you anything in the form it is now

I added a couple keywords to mine and cut out some fluff and I got about 10 messages from recruiters/employers within a week. Nothing that really appealed to me, but still.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I look back at working on a dev team where people would fly drones around the open plan office and I cringe.

We were stuck in the engineering department for a few months while they were remodeling.

Nerf wars get old really quick

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mini pet-peeve: 'maybe' tickets

"If so and so approves, I want a laptop"

Why don't you just get approval and then put a request in for the laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you're going to print your resume at work, don't call the file RESUME.DOC because it shows that JSMITH printed it on the copier and all that.

:eng101: instead call it something like Font Configuration.doc

edit: that reminds me of the custom email filter the owner of a place I once worked at had me set up. It had a crazy word list of things that would cause an email to be silenty forwarded to him. Certain product names, companies, words like resume, pay, etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh poo poo. Stuff is about to get exciting.

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

So here's the floor layout:

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

:munch:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

It must be pretty embarrassing to get tackled by the IT guy of all people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Are they worried about the person being violent or about him/her talking to others or about others knowing who they are firing?

Apparently they might yell at the front desk lady or sucker punch her or something I don't know

I don't know who the person is, they might be from her old department (she was in customer service until last week) so maybe they hate her or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Current status is they are waiting for the owners of the company to leave (they have an appointment at 4:30 so they should be leaving any minute) before they do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:siren:

Absolutely nothing happened. They sat down with him, someone came out and boxed up his desk, and the he left.