Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's been a while since I've had a user who I dread seeing tickets from, but we've got a good one now. It's like tech-supporting my granny.
Today a colleague was troubleshooting why her built-in webcam was't working. After about an hour on a remotes session, he figured it out. The laptop lid was closed.

She's a department head for a science based company and can't be older than 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What's a good servicedesk platform?

We're a holdings company and some of our companies are looking to set up servicedesks for completely different reasons. Let's say one sells eggs and one does engineering.
I'd like these to all be on the same platform for ease of management, but for each company or group to have separate boards so the egg sales team doesn't see the engineers' tickets.
SAML SSO would be a big plus, as would a good asset management system

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I supported some small schools at a previous job and there were some really specific things on the blacklist like 2guys1horse.com. I wish I'd seen the ticket that resulted in that rule.

It's also shocking how class divided the UK is. I supported two private fee paying schools and one secure facility for problem kids and you could easily tell which was which by the kids' names.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

No one could access their files for an hour because the datacentre suspended us for not paying a £20 late payment fee. You do fine work, finance department.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

It’s all coming to a head. Literally everyone in administration is jumping ship after the announcement that we are axing the art program so director won’t have to hire a new art teacher after the current one retires this year.

Everyone is just emailing each other potential jobs at a neighboring college at this point. I’ve got three applications in now.

:getin:

Good luck!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Happy story: Four years ago I went from unemployed for almost a year, to a lovely factory job just to have something, to an office job, to getting IT certs, to making almost triple what I made before any certs. Sometimes things do work out, but I wasted all of my 20s and part of my 30s in awful jobs when I should have just gone right to IT in the first place.

:same:

lovely jobs all through my 20s until I got a job as an office gopher and had time to cert up and then job hop. Minimum wage at 30, well above national median household income at 32.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A delivery came in

Hope the PCs inside boot up.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hang in there, baby

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Our ~cloud computing~ provider say single fibre break brought down three datacentres in three different cities including one we use. Nice redundancy guys :waycool:

It happened minutes after I made a change to the VPN so thanks for my soiled pants.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

They now claim two breaks at separate locations ~200 miles apart. :thunk:

or one break has existed for a while and they didn't get round to fixing it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Finally back up. I had fun reading the angry twitter feed full of variations on "you've lost a customer" and thisisfine.gif

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ticket posted:

Come on England !!

Copier Systems World Cup incentive !!

Any brand new Konica Develop Device purchased before the World Cup Final on 14th July will receive the first month of service ABSOULETY FREE.
NO hidden penalty’s
Forget VAR it’s all about GDPR
Give your old devices the RED card
Come on England !

loving blocked. :scotland:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Edinburgh public transport is great. £1.70 will get you anywhere. I got rid of my car 6 months after moving in because I used it so little I ran down the battery.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

Maybe in the crap part of the UK

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Spear phishing attempt; names changed
This is the third email from the scammer and still no alarm bells trigger for Billy. Fortunately he had to ask how to raise a PO and the person he asked was like uh...

quote:

To: Billy Jones <billy.jones@company.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Errand!!!

What I need is Apple iTunes gift card of £100 face value. I need 5 of Each card. That's £100 X 5. £500. Scratch the back out and Email me the codes for easy distribution. Let me know.
Thanks

Sent from iPad

Why bother impersonating domains when users are so much dumber than mail filters?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Three computers in the last couple days had fatal errors during windows updates and had to have windows refreshed. Two more have been reported this morning. It's all a coincidence and not the start of anything. :pray:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Found the culprit:
https://community.sophos.com/produc...-error-c0000022

Fortunately we don't have many users with windows 8.1 machines, but the CFO and a director are two of them! :waycool:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

stevewm posted:

I on occasion have to crimp a LOT of RJ45s... (IP camera installs) These make things oh so easy: https://amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-100010C-Connectors-Clamshell/dp/B000FI9VU2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540470632&sr=8-5&keywords=ez+rj45 I have easily went through about 6 100pk cans of these since I found them.

No need to worry about getting the length right, and it is easy to verify wire order. The crimp tool cuts the wires flush when you crimp.

Thanks, that looks way easier.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

No poo poo. I wish these had been around $JOB-4 when the director decided we can "totally save money if we make our own"

Which you never will. Because my salary at the time, broken down by the hour, still meant he was spending waaaay more in labor than he claimed in savings. Plus it meant I couldn't do my real job.

Haha Jesus. The lengths some people will go to pinch pennies. Even paying someone minimum wage to do nothing else would cost more, and be worse quality to boot.

Fortunately I only have to do a bunch maybe once a year, but it means each time I do I'm completely out of practice with the fiddly bastards.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

unknown posted:

In case people haven't seen this one for their ticket desks...

MS screwed their OS activation platform in the cloud and has downgraded a significant number (probably a few million) of Win10pro keys to Win10home edition by mistake. Thus causing your OS to become deactivated.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-suddenly-deactivated/fe9a4ecf-2e2a-491d-a43e-b010c316d1c4

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/08/windows_10_activation/

Bonus aftereffects - getting reports of o365 apps (Word/Excel/etc) now failing on the now deactivated machines, because they're attempting to be run on an unlicensed OS.

Repair timeframe is expected to be around 48hours...

Thanks, we just got one of those.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The dig here is that my whole department is already overworked. I'm not getting paid to deal with this poo poo, and I'm slated to lose almost 100 hours of vacation when the new year rolls over and really I just don't give a gently caress about this petty poo poo anymore.

Do you get paid in leu for that or are they stealing 12 days of wages from you?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Is there a good way to test custom phishing rules? Mimecast lets you to tiered rules, eg one red flag will add a warning to the subject, 2 will put it on hold. Flags can be things like a sender name matching that of an internal user or using a similarly spelled domain.
I'd like to test this on a small group rather than just deploy it and find I've blocked all personal email or something.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Eschatos posted:

I've been experimenting with the same policies. Set it up with whatever filtering rules you want, but just set it to send an alert email to you on detection instead of blocking email. Then you can gauge the percentage of false positives and adjust the rules over time without your users noticing anything.

Like this:

Oh yeah, that makes sense! Thanks :)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A colleague visited one of our production sites down south. £millions worth of kit all runs off a single workstation that can't be turned off or fail for any reason. It sits on a wobbly, wheeled trolley it sometimes shares with cleaning supplies and interfaces with said kit like so:

Cool

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I once got confused by a TV show where someone was asked to press the "pound" key on phone. Why does an American phone have a £ symbol?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I set up a helpdesk for one of our companies a while back and they've been complaining recently that customers aren't getting notifications. Turns out the agents are in the habit of creating new tickets already in the solved state, which doesn't set off the alert.
I asked why they weren't being set as open and was told "we don't want them open, it would get out of control".

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ticket posted:

I don’t think I know [email password]. If I guess it correctly could you tell me?

Is it D@rkstar69

lol

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Ticket came in from the company lawyer: does anyone know of a file recovery program with a Server / Client setup so that I can silently push to a remote laptop, and run the file recovery client from here?

I need proof that someone was downloading some pirated stuff, but browsing their C$ doesn't show the incriminating files. I'm like 90% sure if I run Recova or something I'll see the evidence they tried to ditch, but I don't want to tip them off.

I assume this is important business related stuff they’re pirating, and the lawyer isn’t wasting your time hounding someone for downloading Game of Thrones

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A user created an account with a website when prompted to by a spam email. I asked if he used his company credentials when setting it up.

quote:

The password I used is one I use for other things like my Hotmail account and linkedIn, and bank, but it’s not the same password as the one that gets me into [company] portal, etc

OK cool

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My job "gave" me a laptop and a desk and a chair it's a corrupt gravy train

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A new starter ticket came in for someone born in 2000

me right now:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Tickets haven't come in yet because I'm in training.

I am already so much happier to be away from the piss hell that is Mississippi. This new job is so wildly different than anywhere else I've worked, I'm still half-convinced I'm going to wake up back in the television station. I did have one moment where I walked into the shop and saw a stack of Buffalo NAS units on a desk and I had to double-take.

Anyways, hopefully I can still contribute some meaningful content to this thread but I think we can consider the saga of larchesdanrew finally over.

It's been wild, y'all.

I'm happy for you. I've enjoyed reading and getting vicariously angry at your stories for years.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A few weeks back I found I couldn't log in to one of our vmware hosts with the password on file. Nobody said they'd changed the password. The host is managed in vsphere, but the local password was still needed for monitoring alerts. Today all the alerts spontaneously started working again and I could log back in to the host using the creds still cached in my browser. Nobody said they'd changed the password back to the original one.

:psyduck:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

MF_James posted:

Someone lied.

The more I think about it the more I have to come to the conclusion it was my boss who changed it, couldn't find what he changed it to until now, and reset it back while denying it all. Anyone else would have come clean right away but he can simply not admit to being wrong about the most trivial things.

Anyway, now I'm off to make backup admin accounts for all our hosts in case this 'vmware problem' ever happens again.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Today we deployed a phish report button to Outlook. As I expected, it caused a lot of tickets as everyone started using it for all the junk mail they get. At least it gave me a glimpse at how hard sales people have to work now if they go in cold - one of the reported emails had this embedded

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just want to add my congrats larches!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Aside from legal concerns, the clean slate is my favourite thing about starting a new job. Can't imagine wanting to import old headaches from a previous job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

IT manager for subsidiary company posted:

On [user]'s machine, the printer is not being listed. I have updated windows 10, ran SFC scan and DISM and troubleshoot the printer but could not fix the issue. Can you please check?

Apparently "add the printer" didn't occur to them as a troubleshooting step :shrug: