Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happy new year, goons. I hope your 2018 is filled with easy tickets, plentiful budgets, and un-spilled spec buckets. And may all your YotJ dreams come true. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^You might have been using a postscript driver, when you needed PCL. Or maybe the other way around. I think...

dragonshardz posted:

Brother lasers are the only brand I'd actually recommend to anyone.

I used to do the same, but pretty much all the Brothers I bought at my previous job turned out to be utter garbage. The HL-L5470's and HL-L6200's will consume their fusers within 3000-5000 prints.I went back to buying HPs.

Also, my dude, what the hell is in your avatar?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dravs posted:

I work in infrastructure.

E-mails are coming in about the new KPTI bug.

Looks like it's going to be worse than the old Pentium floating point bug. This will be a fun few weeks.

:smithicide:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

quote:

At one point, Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, aka FUCKWIT, was mulled by the Linux kernel team, giving you an idea of how annoying this has been for the developers.

:allears:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Why the gently caress did we think it was a good idea to make our own email client? :smithicide:

Do you work for Nomx?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just got out of a meeting to learn about my new org's cloud strategy. We've already spun up a virtual data center, and that project is being nicknamed 'Base Camp'. All the announcements and presentations are heavily relying on mountain climbing imagery, most of it being photos of or graphics based on Everest. This leads me to wonder...

-What's our timeline for reaching the death zone?
-How long do we need to acclimatize at a partly cloudy level?
-Can I call the VDC members sherpas?
-Which team is going to be left behind on our summit attempt, stuck at the height of the project with no hope for rescue, fated to be forever memorialized like Green Boots? (I bet it's virtualization)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My boss just stopped by and I shared with him my Everest jokes. Think I probably weirded him out.

:v: "Do you climb?"
:j: Hah, no, I'm just fascinated by all the stories of arrogant assholes who get themselves killed on Everest! By the way have you read Into Thin Air?? ok I didn't actually say that, but I DID recommend the book.

Still trying to work out a good IT analogy for the Khumbu Icefall though. Something something automation spitting out an instance at the bottom?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Keyboards are cheap, even on a laptop. I had gently caress-all of a budget at my last gig, and I still made sure all new hires got brand new keyboards and mice at a bare minimum. I wouldn't want to touch a used (to the point the letters are wearing off) keyboard, so I'm not gonna make other people do it either.

When I started my new job ~3 months ago, I got a chair with a dead air cylinder on day one, which really pissed me off. I complained and got a brand new chair by day 3, but it certainly is not a good way to make a first impression and made me have some doubts about my decision right off the bat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

blackswordca posted:

Welp, looks like all the I's dotted and T's crossed. Giving notice Monday and starting at the new job two weeks later.

:yotj:

Yessssssss :cheers:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SamDabbers posted:

Not even 2 whole months into the year and goons :yotj:-ing all over the place!

Just got back from an apartment search trip in my new city and e-signed a lease. Move in is a month from yesterday, and I start my new job the 2nd week of April. :yotj:

Oh dang, :cheers: as well. Hit me up for a beer once you get settled in!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tried to find the original source for this image, in hopes of getting more info. It the process, found it as a part of a list of "tech gore":

https://mashable.com/2016/07/09/tech-support-gore/?geo=AS&utm_cid=mash-prod-nav-geo#v8APGKcImOqc

:stonk:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Samizdata posted:

Could one of you at least point me in the direction of a good Powershell starter? This is nothing official, just a task I like to do every so often. I already know the commands, and have just been abusing the persistent scroll back buffer. I just need to know what basic structural stuff a Powershell script needs.

The O'Reilly guys just tweeted that the first 90 pages of their Windows PowerShell Cookbook is currently free, hopefully this is helpful to you/someone: http://cdn.oreilly.com/oreilly/booksamplers/9781449320683_sampler.pdf

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you manage Windows 7 or Server 2008r2, I guess you should be slightly concerned about 'Total Meltdown', a vuln I didn't know existed until today:

https://blog.frizk.net/2018/03/total-meltdown.html

MS released an out-of-band fix for this yesterday: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100480/windows-kernel-update-for-cve-2018-1038 I spent a good 20min discussing this with my coworker, as the summary paragraph is somewhat inscrutable. The tl;dr version is if you've patched your machine between Jan 3 and March 23, you are vulnerable! Yay!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I wonder if you could freeze those boards and then blast that poo poo off with air, ala dry ice mold removal.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AlexDeGruven posted:

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A text came in (to the on-call phone) while I was in the theater watching Hereditary. I was able to resolve the issue with a quick reply, which kind of disappointed me. The movie was so goddamn boring I think I really wanted an excuse to leave.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Irritated Goat posted:

:( Hereditary was really good. I admit it does ask that you love slow burn horror a bit though.

I think I just really don't like horror movies. The film had some great performances, but I feel like they could have cut out about 45min without losing anything. I know there's a 3hr cut of it somewhere, watching that would probably put me into a coma.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

Hey are we going to have an Ignite meetup? I am going up Sat before and staying after.

My boss is trying to send me to this, so I hope there is a goon meetup. Don't know yet what day I would potentially arrive/leave.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

Cool, should we make an Ignite Thread closer to the event?

You should, cuz I just got the word that I've been officially approved to go. :krad:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ilkhan posted:

My company has beers in the fridge and almost everyone in the office has 1-2 between 3-4:00...every day.

Are you hiring?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, hope he's ok. A similar thing happened to a family member (not in a server room), and she was off work almost 6 months recovering from the head injury. It's been a few years now and cognitively she's still not the same. TBI's are no joke.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

#Ignite2018 meet up, anyone?

Are you making a thread or should we just rely on the Slack room to coordinate?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pyroclastic posted:

"We need you in classroom 13. A student just vomited on their computer."

Congrats, this is even more disgusting than my spec bucket laptop. I hope by "anti-viral clenser" you don't just mean hand sanitizer either.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holy christ. I've had a ticket open for almost a month for a server that keeps running out of space. The customer doesn't want to just add additional space because they see that as a temporary measure. Instead, they want to have meetings about how to reconfigure the app that is eating up all the space! Great! Meeting gets pushed back again and again, no decision gets made, I suggest again that they just add some extra space for now. They don't.

It's the day before Thanksgiving and guess what's happened?

:fuckoff:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PirateDentist posted:

Some spammer must have used my number for a series of calls. Got three random callbacks saying I just called them last week. Same area code and first 3 prefix as my own number.

It's called neighbor spoofing and answering one of those calls confirms to the spammer than your number is valid and then they'll start using it to spam other people. I got a few calls from people asking why I called them, did some research, and now never answer my phone.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress the number of times I've asked for the email to be sent only to have it forwarded a dozen times...
gently caress the number of times I've had to teach the same person how to attach an email....
gently caress the same people who do it every goddamn time and why the gently caress are they the only ones who get and report phishing attempts?

https://www.knowbe4.com/phish-alert

This works even with the free version, I believe.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Back when I was at Umich, they not only had lavish vacation, but a very simple rule for accumulation: if you had more than 18 months' vacation accumulated (and I think we were at 2 days PTO per month, so that's 36 days of PTO) you stopped accumulating it. So there was no arbitrary "everyone use up their PTO by 12/31" nonsense, but individuals who didn't take PTO eventually lost it. That seemed like a sufficiently fair protection for the University's financial concerns.

It's 48 days (now?) which is pretty sweet, especially when I'm on a team of 4 that handles only one specific thing so I can actually use my vacation time without there being a lack of coverage. My last job had a use-it-or-lose-it cut off at 22 days and I was constantly hitting that cap. Did make for a nice payout when I quit, though.

Was on call this weekend when we had a significant incident. Almost 2 hours on the phone with a bunch of other infrastructure people because they initially thought Windows updates were to blame. In the end though, it was just our old friend, DNS.

:argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"Decorate my office so it's not so boring looking" has been a task assigned to me on our kanban board since at least May. Over a year in this job and my office is completely bare so my boss made it one of my priority tasks to complete by the end of the year. I've got a great Zardoz poster that needs a home but I'm not sure if I want my team to know how deeply weird I actually am.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess I should have said it was a task that I wrote up myself. But I'm gonna go ahead and uhhhh not do what you suggested!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Geemer posted:

Use an interrobang (‽) instead from now on. No more ambiguity wrt mark/point/sign/symbol that you have with either ! or ?.

Sarcmark, imho

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A ticket came in, but I couldn't see it because my permissions to the ticketing system have been removed. Guessing someone with central IT finally saw that I "left" my position with them a month ago (to move to a different college within the university) and terminated my access. It's cool, didn't want to do any work today anyway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Couldn't work tickets, couldn't poo poo post on SA. Thought about going home just now tbqh.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What happens when you have too many tabs open in Chrome

https://twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1146065231270907907

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Will Teams still randomly steal your cursor focus for no good reason whatsoever, so while you think you're typing your password into an RDP login window, you have actually just IM'd it to Karen in Finance and now have to awkwardly tell her to "oh whoops ignore that ;)" and go quickly change it for the 3rd time in a month? No I'm obviously not still annoyed by this even though its been almost 2 years since I last used S4B.

S4B :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My high school offered several computer skills classes including:

-Learning about token ring networking, in 1999
-Touch typing, on keyboards with a bunch of keys missing (they were all stored in a giant garbage can in a closet) while the teacher held a piece of paper over your hands
-An entire semester long class to go through some dumb MS Office tutorials (I got an award at the end of the year for being the best student in this class, lmao)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PremiumSupport posted:

The good news for the company is that if it was just a ransomware attack they're probably correct in saying none of the PHI was compromised. Still sucks though, and good luck getting any of that data unencrypted. Hope they had good backups!

There's really no good news when an incident involving patient data makes it to the press.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been stuck in this mostly boring week-long firewall training class and today we were talking about phishing. One of the guys in the class chimed in to say his org sends people home for a day the first time they fall for a phishing attempt, a week for their second, and permanently for their third. He confirmed they had sent people home for a week before. I felt awe and jealousy that my org can't also do this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Somewhere in DC, a ticket probably just came in:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1176890146567983104

:lol:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ypsi was "way out west" growing up.

lol

How have none of us SE Michigan computer touchers ever managed to arrange some kind of meet up? Would y'all be interested in grabbing a beer somewhere? I know there's a few more lurking around, I could try to loop them in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nth Doctor posted:

Totally down for this

xsf421 posted:

I'd be in.

Sweet. How do you want to coordinate this? Email chain? Goon meets thread (lol)? I'm also on Telegram if anyone uses that.

Zorak of Michigan, you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Despite having recently posted about how I love working from home because I don't have to interact with humans, hell yeah I'm in.

Alright, y'all just email me at sirotan8 at gmail and I'll get a group email going for this. That goes for you too, totalnewbie.