Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tomorrow I get to find out if the self-signed certificates in Avaya IP Office boxes that expired yesterday are actually used for anything in any of the systems we support.

They're good for seven years and they're auto-generated when the system is first initialized.
When you first turn on an IP Office v2 chassis it defaults to a date of Jan 1st 2011.

I regenerated all the ones I could find last week, but I'm sure there's one somewhere that we don't have remote access to that's actually using the cert for something critical. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

Tell them you did as requested and ordered the biggest computer you could find.

This is a great post for phone browsing because I thought it was one of those chunky little cube towers but then had to keep scrolling and scrolling down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've seen HP laserjets from the mid 90s that are still operational 20 years later. Those things were tanks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jaded Burnout posted:

The Register are such smarmy cunts.

That’s why they’re great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/952371682588717056

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So basically everyone’s suspicions about how the Hawaii false alarm happened have been confirmed:

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127542050795520

:catstare:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to know what kind of confirmation / warning dialog you get (if any) when you click one of the options.

I bet that if there even is one it’s a generic “are you sure?” that says nothing specific about the option you chose.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean I guess it’s a good thing we’re finding out the problems and maybe possibly taking steps toward fixing them, but this is like the second-worst possible way to bring attention to UI problems in the early warning system.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I found the POE switch

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Proteus Jones posted:

2 foot cables? The only *possible* way I can see those working is to connect a VOIP phone in a cubicle where the network ports are desk height. But even then it seems to be a poor choice in length as it really limits phone placement based on personal preference.

You've never seen this kind of setup?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lambeth posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

I didn't think it was possible to beat the time one of the centers paid $175 for us to send out a tech because they couldn't figure out how to unplug a power cable,* but yet, here we are.

* Our users seem to have difficulty understanding that to reboot the credit card machines, they need to unplug the small black power cable. Or the other end of the cable that plugs into the wall. This is the only black cable connected to the machine, and there are only two cables connected to the machines. "I can't find it."

oh my god

now someone please tell whoever did it about Win + CTRL + C

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MF_James posted:

argh page snipe. Employer paid for 2-day sonicwall course for basic administration, I'm sure it cost like 5K, it's virtual which isn't horrible since I'm at home in boxers really comfy pants (it's loving cold in this lovely apartment), best part about the course so far though? Instructor has 2 cats that are constantly into stuff.

I’m in the midst of an employer-paid virtual course on Avaya IP Office, and their setup is pretty bad. Lots of minor annoyances like lab exercise instructions written for an earlier version of the software.

The whole thing is awful mostly because it’s booooring if you are already familiar with the material but I can imagine it being baffling and unhelpful if you weren’t.

It’s 5 days of listening to an instructor read PowerPoint slides nearly verbatim and doing labs in a remote desktop. I figured out the first day I could work ahead in the labs so I’ve basically got them all done now.

Highlight so far was when a guy from Alaska got super pissed at not being able to connect to the remote desktop and started yelling borderline racist stuff at the Mexican instructor about how the “lovely Mexican hardware didn’t fuckin work” and then backing down when the instructor pointed out everything was actually being hosted in the US and basically proved the problem was on his end. :toot:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MF_James posted:

oh lord lol, no one on our's is talking just typing.

Most of us are just typing but every morning there’s someone who forgets to mute their mic and is moving furniture around or arguing with their spouse or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I’m in the midst of an employer-paid virtual course on Avaya IP Office, and their setup is pretty bad.

Oh lord, one of the lab exercises is setting up voicemail pro auto attendants and testing them, but this is all using softphones on a remote desktop with no audio. So you can’t actually record anything but blank silence and you can’t hear anything when you dial in.

Really showcasing your world-leading communication and collaboration technology here Avaya.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually like IP office as a phone system for small / medium businesses. Visual voicemail works nice, clients like using it, programming it through the Manager thick client is really nice and easy.

It’s way over-priced for what it is, but so is everything aimed at that market.

Their partner training stuff is a complete racket though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

stevewm posted:

I really like the IP Office Basic/Partner mode. I know many IP office people hate it, but I like it. It is a perfect replacement for small businesses with basic telecom needs that are coming from a older Partner system. Many of our branch locations use one.

You don't even need to use the Manager client to configure Basic mode. The web interface is sufficient for most tasks. Though you can use the Manager client if you want.

Most of what I’ve ended up doing in my current job is to do with installing and supporting Essential edition IPO running the on 500v2 chassis. We generally install them with a little Mikrotik router so we have remote access on the WAN port via our VPN and between Manager and the System Status application it’s super easy to administer remotely. Once we’ve got a site up and running we rarely have to actually go to site for anything that doesn’t involve physically cross-connecting extensions.

My only bad experiences with IPO have been when it was programmed by someone, usually the client themselves, who didn’t quite know what they were doing.

Like the site where they didn’t want to have a prefix digit to dial outside the system, and didn’t have line appearances, and didn’t plan their internal extension numbering well, and ended up not able to phone certain people because the first four digits of their phone number matched an internal extension. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The lightswitch controlling the wireless reminds me of this "light switch" I saw a while back:

Those first three switches control the power for the PLCs that run the large, important industrial equipment in a multi-milllion dollar malting plant that produces a significant fraction of the malted grain used by some of north america's top breweries.
The fourth one controls the power for that light bulb that's whiting out the frame in the first picture.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a good example of how not to label something

Those type of breaker boxes are everywhere around here and I’ve never ever seen one labeled well. Usually it’s scrawled in faded pencil in the inscrutable handwriting of some 1980s electrician.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really hate the inconsistent version numbering file name conventions AVAYA uses even within the same products.

Somehow ADMIN10_1_0_0_3.zip is the more recent version than ADMIN10_1_237.zip

I guess there’s an implied _0_0 in the second one. I mean, why would you ever want your files to sort alphabetically by version? :suicide:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just got back from doing a bunch of out of town network jobs at sites I'd never been to before, and it never ceases to amaze me how people who don't know anything about who you are and why you're there will just give you keys and point you to network closets in important government buildings as long as you walk in with a clipboard and a lanyard and look lost.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I got sent to an out of town job at the last minute (I was already gonna be driving to another job in the area anyway) and I was joking when I got back about how people will let you in anywhere if you walk in with a clipboard and a lanyard ask them where the network rack is, without asking for any proof that you're actually supposed to be there.

Turns out, I actually really wasn't supposed to be there, it was a government site where apparently we're only supposed to send techs with specific background check / security clearance certifications which I don't have yet. Whoops!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Installed an Avaya phone system today that was shipped up to us "pre-programmed" by the company that was contracting us. "you just have to bring it to the client site and physically install it, it's all set up already", they said.
Lies.

The first warning sign came when I went to plug in the new digital phones and they came up with no user logged in. I call up the contractor, they tell me, "oh you can log them in with this short code we set up". Which isn't how you're supposed to do it all with digital sets (because they'll all have to be logged in again any time the phone system reboots). I get them to give me the password so I can actually look at the config. Sure enough, it looks like they were originally going to get IP phones and changed their mind at the last minute and never reprogrammed it for digital sets, so none of the users' extension numbers match the numbers actually assigned to the digital ports. Fine, I can fix it, I move the extensions over to the digital ports.

Then I go to test the auto attendant and get silence. Ok. I look through the pile of stuff they emailed us, and sure enough they sent us the wav files to upload. Not that they mentioned this in the install checklist. Why didn't they do it themselves before they shipped the "pre-programmed" system to us? :iiam:

Fine. I go to convert and upload the files, and the Avaya LVM utility chokes on them. They're not encoded in the right wav format. Then I actually listen to the wavs and look at the script and it doesn't match the actual AA programming at all. I ended up re-recording and programming the AA from scratch by myself.

Finally I get all their phones and lines cut over, everything's testing fine. I unplug the power for the old Meridian system... and I hear crackle from overhead. Yup. There's a paging speaker on the old system that they have nothing programmed for and didn't ship the transformer you'd need to hook it up to an analog port on the new system. Yet another call to the contractor, oops, they say, we're going to have to go back later to fix that. In the meantime, I set them up so they can page through speakerphone. Finally I get the OK to leave.

20 minutes later while I'm having my lunch, I get a call back from the contractor, saying they can't remotely access the system, and am I sure I plugged into the right LAN port, etc. I bring up a saved copy of the config, and it turns out they had programmed the wrong address and subnet mask on the LAN port, and also didn't have an IP route set up. So I had to go back to the site to change the address and reboot it.

Back to the shop.

Another 20 minutes later the contracter calls again. Am I sure it's hooked up to the lines right?? They're calling the main number and it's not ringing through to the new phone system!
I test calling their main number, and sure enough, it's not working. Which is weird because I'd tested it before I left, and I had phoned the client on their new phone system just a while ago to tell them I had to come back to change the address. I try a couple more times and then it starts working. I call the contractor back, and the tech admits that they accidentally broke it themselves just now because they had messed with the incoming call routes. It's all good now though!

I'm betting I get at least one more email by Monday about something else they hosed up or forgot to program in.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I'm betting I get at least one more email by Monday about something else they hosed up or forgot to program in.

Update: they had us send someone back this morning because while trying to remotely update the configuration they managed to wipe the system SD card somehow. Starting to think this company may not entirely know what they’re doing. :toot:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

So I just discovered these and don't know how I missed them for so long.

I feel very called out by this

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We just got a demo unit of the fancy new bleeding-edge Avaya touchscreen SIP desk phone.
lol this thing is garbage.
It's basically a glorified Android tablet except it probably costs twice as much for half the hardware specs, doesn't have a battery in it, is designed to lock you out of the Google Play store by default, and is a pain in the rear end to actually get working with existing Avaya phone systems.
Also the default Avaya Vantage dialer app is hastily-thrown-together garbage and actually has fewer features in it than their standard digital phones do. You don't get programmable feature buttons, so there's no Park / Page / group membership toggling / night service toggling / etc functionality. And it doesn't even have visual voicemail, it's straight back to the old-school listen-to-a-recording-that-tells-you-what-numbers-to-press-for-options system. Meanwhile their cheapest digital phones have supported visual voicemail for like a decade at this point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually really like Avaya’s standard 9508 digital / 9608 IP phones. They’re solid and reliable and easy to set up, and IP Office / VMPro is actually a good platform for programming medium business call flows. And 9508s/9608s have all the basic features that users actually want and like, such as visual voicemail and programmable buttons.

It’s their higher end stuff that always seems to be over-complicated, badly performing and difficult to set up or use, with lovely software.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

My new job seems to be less Telco than my last one, more avaya infrastructure, acr, and other things (bunch of wfm and custom applications but I'll get to them when I get to them)

Any good tips/resources for an avaya newbie?

Oh, Avaya. Everything needs a license. And the licenses are all keyed to specific hardware IDs so are non-transferable.

I actually like IP Office a lot, but some of the higher end Avaya stuff is a huge pain in the rear end to set up. They do phone systems really well but I've heard mixed reviews of their networking infrastructure product lines.

If you have a support.avaya.com account there's actually a ton of useful documentation and install guides and stuff on there. Just be warned that the downloads section can be a nightmare to find what you're looking for in, especially if you're looking for a specific software release that isn't the latest version, or don't know precisely what the thing you're looking for is named. And in older stuff their versioning is all over the place across closely related products.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So we had a report from our other location that one of the security camera feeds there kept going down. They’d come in in the morning and the camera monitor screen at the back would have one blank feed and the controller would be beeping about a downed camera. But it seemed to fix itself by the time they opened. They eventually figured out the camera was only working during their open hours of 9-6. This makes no sense because not only are the cameras clearly meant to run 24/7, I don’t think the fairly primitive control software even supports time profiles. We can’t find any reason for it in the config. Finally I get sent over to look at it physically today...

That camera was replaced recently. Whoever installed it powered it by plugging it into a conveniently located power plug in the ceiling. The same one that the “Open” sign in the window is plugged into. The one on a circuit that has a light switch toggle for it on the wall that they hit to turn the sign off and on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

minusX posted:

Sounds a lot like our locations that would just flip the main breaker when they left for the night, taking down the whole computer system. No one was there so it wasn't that bad but man that's a weird issue to try to find sometimes.

I think I posted here once about the site where the “light switch” for the network closet was a breaker switch on a breaker box where the other switches controlled the power to PLCs running multi million dollar industrial equipment in a processing plant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

I'm surprised nobody's thrown it by now.

Honestly I would've done it by my 3rd day on the job

That’s more of a last day on the job thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not down with OPP (other people's programming)

Today I superseded forty .bat files that each contained the global admin password in plain text with a single powershell script.

Tell me your powershell script doesn't also contain the admin password in plaintext.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is always a bad sign when you're trying to trace a wire pair:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you familiar with the velcro technique?

Do tell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That doesn't seem that useful for situations where the run turns out to be hundreds of feet.

BTW this is what "the hole" turned out to be:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Don't worry, we had a Junior Tehcnician we could send into The Hole. He even survived the Spiders!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suuma posted:

I'm a support nerd, can somebody explain what this is?

It's BIX block. Similar to 110 block, but it's more common in Canada because it was Nortel's standard forever. It's basically a patch panel for wire pairs. If you have digital phones in your building then chances are there's a bunch of blocks of this type of stuff in a closet somewhere. It's mostly used for digital and analog telephony but you will occasionally see ethernet patch panels using it too.

I do a lot of work installing and servicing business phone systems. It's moving towards IP phones, which are way easier to work with because all you care about is that it has power and an ethernet connection. With digital phone systems, every wall jack gets connected to a specific port on the phone system which is programmed for a certain extension. So if you're installing a new phone system using existing cabling, you have to know where on the punchdown block the wire pair for each specific wall jack comes out. If you're very lucky, whoever cabled it in the first place decades ago actually labeled poo poo, and the labeling has been kept legible and up to date. You are never that lucky, which is why you need one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Fluke-Networks-26000900-Pro3000-Generator/dp/B000FTADX0

Thanks Ants posted:

Has someone made a poor-man's ladder tray by zip tying some short lengths of pipe to another pipe?

Also my opinion on punch blocks is Krone supremacy.

I think the "ladder" was just meant to keep loose piping / cabling off the bare dirt floor.

I've never worked with Krone, but gently caress 66-block forever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

angry armadillo posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb question because I've never been taught or met anyone who actually knows:

is there a trick to using those network flukes effectively? I can never get a positive result.

I have a site which used to be 2 sites, they built a road between them and joined them up (essentially)

On one side, I have krone strips which go to patch panels in data cabs, so patching is really easy.
The other site has exactly what you describe where every wall jack is an assigned socket and nothing is labelled. In the 4 years I've been here I've sussed all the important ones, but it would be nice to get the fluke working right

It helps to have an analog buttset with a BIX/110/whatever clip so that once you to know the general area you can tap in on each wire pair and see which once you hear the signal tone on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I end up spending way too much time trying to troubleshoot fax machines and getting them to do the stupid things people want them to do like work through modern PBX systems or over SIP trunks. Lots of government agences, medical and law offices still live and die by their faxes in TYOOL 2018.
:negative:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
via b3ta:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Another ticket came in from this client who kept reporting the same kind of issue for what seems like a year: they have a voicemail module they call in to to set who is on-call for the night, and it supposedly doesn’t work half the time for one of the options. They call in, hear a menu that says “press 1 to put Alice on call, press 2 to set Bob on call, press 3 to set Carol on call” etc with like six options. You press 2, you hear a recording say “Bob is now on call” and then it disconnects, and now when you call the after-hours line it should forward to Bob’s cell phone.

They kept reporting intermittent issues with this system and we’ve double-checked and tested the programming a bunch of times and it always seemed to be set up just fine when we tried it.

I finally figured out the actual problem today and it’s super dumb.

The way it set up in Voicemail Pro, the “X is now on call” recording is actually the prompt on the node that does the variable change.

If you hang up before a prompt is done playing, VMPro doesn’t actually do the associated action.

One of the “x is now on call” recordings had like 4 seconds of silence at the end of it.