Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Proteus Jones posted:

:same:

If it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. If they don't, oh well.

The only reason I answer anyone is that I hate voicemail even more than answering the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’ve stopped being surprised at how many offices live or die by their fax machine in TYOOL 2018. Especially medical clinics and law firms.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kaethela posted:

We have a LOT of clients that insist on using their fax machines on our SIP services. gently caress analog adapters, gently caress fax machines, gently caress these people. Buy a POTS line if you're that dependent on lovely technology. We also have people that try to send efaxes to other efax numbers. Just send a goddamn e-mail at that point.

Yyyup. FAX and SIP is a match made in hell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Anyone else here work at a place that uses Tigerpaw as their CRM software? Goddamn their latest update is dogshit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What’s your record for longest single conference call?

Mine is 7 hrs starting at 5:50 AM

It was supposed to be a quick network refresh job where we replaced the router and switch and installed a couple new wireless APs.
But they had at least 4 or 5 sites calling in to the same conference bridge at once, and the remote tech was going through the ones where poo poo actually worked and getting them checked out before coming back to those of us at sites where poo poo wasn’t working and needed troubleshooting. I figured out myself within an hour or two that the problem was probably that it was a bridged connection and they hadn’t programmed the PPPoE login into the new gateway, but it was hours before I got the guy at the other end to try actually testing that and contacting the ISP for credentials, since he was helping everyone else first.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/DCFurs/status/1087663240421593089

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Had a demo of a VoIP deskphone today. The things run an out-of-date version of Android (6, January 2018 security patches), require people to log into their Google accounts as part of the setup process, download the actual phone application from the store, and give people free rein to install whatever apps they want, the thing is a sea of update notifications for 15 minutes after first booting.

I have no idea how you can take a telephone and gently caress it up so badly. The icing on the poo poo cake is that it also runs slowly so it’s not even a good telephone.

The vendor suggests we manage them by enrolling them in MDM (because none of the Android stuff can be provisioned by the PBX), and I was too shocked to laugh them out the room.

I do telephony stuff for a living and... the more advanced an IP phone is, the shittier it is going to be. You do not want the fancy-rear end latest-model IP phone, those are hacked-together poo poo piled on top of a rebranded android tablet that comes with a 500% markup but without a battery. You want a basic-rear end model or a plain digital phone that actually just works.

I work with a lot of Avaya stuff, and their plain 9508 digital phones and 9608 IP phones are absolutely great. Their new supposedly cutting-edge stuff like the Vantage phones is complete poo poo and a pain in the rear end to configure too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CitizenKain posted:

Its not Avaya is it? We are testing a Avaya Vantage phone now and its a huge pile of poo poo.

lol is it ever. :hfive:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghostlight posted:

My first payslip of the year and I find out that I've apparently spent eighty hours of vacation time at work doing work :thumbsup:

Did you forget to submit all your time sheets or what?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Several Hundred Tickets Came In...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, my sympathies. For living in T-bay, obviously :v:

I don't actually work for the phone company, so it's not really our problem, but we do get all the tickets coming in from the people whose phone systems or networks we manage wondering why their phones don't work.

From what I hear the city crew completely severed a conduit carrying major fibre and copper links when they were trying to dig up a busted water main with a backhoe. I don't envy the line guys who have to try to fix that -- since there's still a broken water main there. And it's snowing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Latest update: “flushing ice and water from ducts from each manholes. More updates to follow.”

Someone’s having a fun day.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
HP laserjets used to be indestructible. The laser jet IIIs and 5s from the mid 90s were built like tanks, and a lot of them are still running today.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wolrah posted:

There is no such thing as a good scanner either. Only bad and less bad. TWAIN drivers are often worse than printers. Evil lies everywhere paper and computers interact, especially if some rear end in a top hat has decided to involve a modem as well and make a fax machine out of it.

I’ve long since stopped being surprised at how many businesses still live and die by their damned FAX machines. The worst though is when they have the fax line running through their PBX or over a SIP trunk just to add layers of things which could go wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’m *still* getting service emails about them re-splicing copper lines after The Backhoe Incident a week ago.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
768 copies of the same Ticket came in...

Fix your email notifications Telus, Jesus Christ.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bigass Moth posted:

I’ve never found a use for Numlock other than driving me crazy thinking my keys weren’t working.

Turning off Numlock is useful for enabling 8-directional keyboard unit movement in Civilization games.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/ppathole/status/1100406765156327427?s=21

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My inbox is currently filling up because a contractor sent us a ticket, our mail server sent an auto-reply to them confirming we got the ticket and will get back to them within 2 hours, their mail server took that as an update to the ticket and auto-replied with an update to the same service list which auto-replies...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol now there’s a pissing contest starting over whose auto-reply is the broken one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We appear to have halted at 364 messages. I haven’t heard who blinked yet. I think they finally just blocked our service+noreply@domain.ca address.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

hey I know this is like from a month ago but I had a coworker who was 10 minutes late to a meeting because he thought "a quarter after 6" meant "6:25"

ohhhhh boy was that the talk of the town for a few days

Did you troll him by scheduling the next meetings for “three nickels after six”?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

my bitter bi rival posted:

I am at an on-site and their IT guy is saying I need admin access to be able to install a certificate to my computer so I can access [our website]

This is the point at which I just give up and tether to my phone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Weedle posted:

This is really the only good Dilbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPazyimiJx4

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1103384684812255233

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Oh boy, Avaya has announced they’re no longer going to sell ANY licenses for their phone systems that are older than release10.

So any of our customers who bought an IP Office system years ago and are still on like 8.1 or 9.0, next time they want to say, add a single IP phone extension or something, they’re going to have to be told, yeah, that’s going to require another 2-3 hours of on-site labour, an upgrade license fee, and the phone system will have to be down for an hour so it probably has to be done after hours at overtime rates. And you’ll notice basically no difference after the upgrade.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Currently listening to my coworker try to convince a client to migrate to office 365 from... Incredimail.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Super Slash posted:

What's wrong with this picture:

Is that not even a v2 chassis? :rip:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

People who don't submit documents as PDFs don't deserve the job anyway

My boss at my last job told me after I was hired that being able to follow the “please submit your CV as a PDF with such and such file name format” directions on the job posting was the first step of screening and he had junked a bunch of applications that didn’t follow them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
TIL that apparently if you have a wrongly encoded enough wav file playing as a menu prompt in Voicemail Pro, it will work fine a few times and then spontaneously double in file size and transform into a corrupted cacophony that sounds like an audio log from Hell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sheep posted:

This reminded me of extension 666. You definitely want the volume turned down for this one.

The glitch I had was much more literally hellish sounding.

This was the first thing callers got when they called the main number. At very high volume.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did you try turning her off and on again?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My company recently had a pissing match with Telus when our e-mail auto-responders got into a loop with each other.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1126053389803118594?s=21

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like to imagine that the “official guidance” ended with the words “..., you utter knobs.” and a giant implied eye roll.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/benhammersley/status/1128231713417646080?s=21

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Data Graham posted:

Everyone: "Monopolies are bad"

Also everyone: "Fragmentation makes the software industry hell"

Maybe this would work better as a Distracted Boyfriend

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GWBBQ posted:

ticket withdrawn, advised user to call facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ&t=117s

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Getting word that somebody we look after might have started on a project, had a load of marketing created and built the brand of the thing they're trying to launch based on a domain name they do not own and had not made any enquiries about purchasing from the current owners :munch:

I routinely run into the much smaller scale version of this with phone numbers. A company will have a bunch of DID blocks and they're set up so that employees' internal extensions match the last 4 digits of their direct line for convenience's sake. Like they own the block of numbers 555-123X and e.g. there's an employee with the internal extension 1236 and a direct phone line of 555-1236. Then they hire another employee, give them extension 1240, and print business cards for them listing 555-1240 as their number when the 555-124X block actually belongs to who knows who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There’s a great episode of the Allusionist podcast about the weird form of English that’s evolved within the European Union bureaucracy

https://www.theallusionist.org/allusionist/fix-ii