Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In a previous role at my University I took care of a department that just kept and maintained expensive equipment: lasers, microscopes, etc.

There was a room with two older scanning electron microscopes, and a computer connected to each, one ran Win95, the other Win98. The Win98 machine kept getting kicked off the network by the central security team because they'd see traffic that would profile as Win98 and apparently lots of malware would profile like that as well so they'd assume it was malicious and pop it offline. The Win95 computer didn't have that problem.

Also we were connected to the campus' centrally provided chilled water line, and at some point some of the water was brown. It got brought up in a staff meeting: "Oh I had some time so I put it under the scanning electron microscope, it was mostly iron, so just some rust." He solved the problem by LOOKING AT THE ATOMS like 6 or 7 years later I still can't get over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol that's waaaaaay farther back than me. I was still in high school in 2004.

Oh one other funny thing about that pair of microscopes, the one connected to Win95 had a little note taped to the display (of the microscope, not the computer) that said to turn it off when you weren't using it to observe, because the tube wasn't produced anymore so eventually they'd be unable to replace it when they burnt out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sheep posted:

Tons of the SPARCstation line was quite small, but notably the IPX/IPC.

I grabbed one of these when it was being thrown away 7 or 8 years ago at work, been sitting in my basement ever since. Just need the right project to put inside of it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had a coworker in a previous job that used two periods.. Almost exclusively.. I could never figure out what that was about..

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol I'm now a "DevOps Product Owner" and I have no idea what that means, and worst of all nobody else does either!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh don't worry we're already doing Scaled Agile Framework.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's been quite a while since I read Phoenix Project, but I recall I was reading it with a few other jaded coworkers and we were able to talk about it in terms of which archetypes we were seeing in our co-workers. Yeah, as a novel it's poorly written, but that's just par for the course with business fiction. At least it's a quick easy read, I breezed through it in a few days I think. I also recently read "The Rollout" which is an equivalent book describing SAFe and yeah it sucks as a novel, but it's a quick read and you get the information. I'd say as a broad introduction it's much easier to read a book like that than to read an instructional non-fiction book that just describes the topics. I need to pick up the next book, Unicorn Project I think, which covers the "dev" side rather than the "ops" side that Phoenix Project did.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Entropic posted:

I like to imagine that Peter Norton is the most boring man alive just for some cosmic balance.

quote:

Norton spent around five years in a Buddhist monastery in the San Francisco Bay area during the 1970s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norton
Sounds like it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SlowBloke posted:

The official stance from Microsoft is “set up a new db host, a new sccm server and import the current farm clients”. Doing an in place upgrade might work but also could gently caress everything up so hard the living might envy the dead. We looked the possible upgrade options to upgrade from 2012r2 and just set up a whole new db&host combo instead.

Well, not exactly. Microsoft has guidance on doing it, though I've never tried it myself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that's the ConfigMgr software, not the OS that the Site Server/Systems are installed on. And that statement also goes against Microsoft guidance on doing CM upgrades. Those two recommendations have been fundamentally unchanged since at least the move to CB, and having met Aaron Czechowski a number of times and talking with him about documentation, I'm quite sure that if the recommendation was changed, that documentation would have been updated.

It might be possible that, in working with a consultant, it made sense in your environment to rebuild (did you have a CAS?) but the official recommendation still seems to be that in-place upgrades of the OS are supported, and jumping from 2012 or 2012 R2 to Current Branch is still supported.

E: Seeing your edit, I probably also would not want to update every single drat piece simultaneously, but it's all possible. Hell, I did a full rebuild on our environment 3 years ago, so I get it! But I'm very tempted to do some in-place upgrades now that the current infrastructure is on 2016 and I'd like to move to 2019 eventually.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ooof, yeah, this conversation is kicking out some cobwebs, I wouldn't do an in-place upgrade on anything younger than 2016. Then again, I'm also now a DevOps Engineer who is very willing to tut-tut you for making a deployment not easily repeatable, so it should be easy to deploy to a new server! And having spent like 18 months on the project to migrate from the old SCCM environment to the new one, in a previous life, well I can just tut-tut myself right back.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ironically, in the before times, myself and a few co-workers were working with our manager to get buy in for allowing some WFH for the express purpose of being able to do some work free from distractions. Then the world fell apart and every day includes 18 different check-ins with various groups.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
O365 is also an installed application on a system, it's not just a web UI like Google Sheets.

Another use case (which I think is limited only to, and only offered to) is education where you've got shared computer labs so you can do machine activation instead of user activation, so people don't have to log in to office every time they sit at a new computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not my monkey, not my problem. I've only ever been on the periphery of it myself, so maybe we are actually pushing O365 to our labs, or maybe it's 2019 because the way we're federated into Azure doesn't work. I just remember there was some weird education-specific thing we had to do.