Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I can't be the only person who sees a ruggedised milspec laptop on TV and thinks "yes, that is what I want".

You aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cryptocurrency investing is all about entering young markets.

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Could one of you at least point me in the direction of a good Powershell starter? This is nothing official, just a task I like to do every so often. I already know the commands, and have just been abusing the persistent scroll back buffer. I just need to know what basic structural stuff a Powershell script needs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

The most basic form of a PowerShell script is just a text file with one command per line. Exactly like a DOS batch file or a Unix shell script.
If you then want to be able to pass arguments to the script, you can add a Param block at the top, to describe which you want. If you want the entire script to behave more like a full cmdlet with pipeline functionality you can use Begin/Process/End steps and the [Cmdlet] decorator.

Apart from that, the book "PowerShell in a month of lunches" gets recommended here every so often.

Mkay then. I figured it was a little more complicated. I just want what is basically a batch file to enter a folder, delete the files there, dump two other directories into files then concatenate them. Nothing big, but I wasn't sure, due to some experiences with other environments, if I had to do anything else.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cheers for the linkage.

Thanatosian posted:

You can do this with batch pretty easily, too.

I know, but at some point I need to get up with the times.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Welp, you guys steered me in enough directions, I got done what I need to get done (mostly - The text is being wrapped now, so have to figure that one out), so cheers on that.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sirotan posted:

The O'Reilly guys just tweeted that the first 90 pages of their Windows PowerShell Cookbook is currently free, hopefully this is helpful to you/someone: http://cdn.oreilly.com/oreilly/booksamplers/9781449320683_sampler.pdf

Cheers. Snagging as we speak.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Among other things, we provide internet to condos in the Florida panhandle where the infrastructure for data is pretty weak. Typically we have a POP with a fiber optic connection and use 5ghz access points to provide a fairly slow connection to the customers, but it's better than nothing.

Ticket comes in about a guy in his condo complaining about slow internet, getting 7.5mbps on a speed test. I look at the account and in our billing what's promised is 12mbps per unit in the condo. There's two dozen or so units.

I do a bandwidth test at the router for the building and it tops out at 20. After asking around the office a bit, it turns out that we started service at this building knowing that we could never deliver what's promised. Sales just wants to always be closing. Okay, not my ticket anymore. You deal with it, Sales.

Slow internet. 7.5mbps. He can blow me. I am on a 3mbps account right now.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

minusX posted:

But do you pay for 8?

Nope. I pay for 3 since that is the best I can get.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

The director called me into his office this afternoon and simply handed me a pile of papers. Each one was an email he has received from faculty, staff, and guests that compliment me in some way. There were something like 30 of them.

One of them said something along the lines of “if we expect the technology in this place to be held together with glue, we can’t complain every time our fingers get sticky.”

He then went on to tell me how much he appreciates my work and how much better this place is running under my supervision than the previous three tech coordinators. He said he’s been unfairly judging me based on their performance and he’s let his preconceived notions get the better of him. He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

Now I get a four day weekend for Easter.

It was a pretty good day I guess.

I was going to be in a good mood this weekend. Until I found the end days are upon us, and we are all going to perish in a holocaust.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

:siren: The Network is down :siren:

*puts feet up* good thing I'm not responsible for the internal network. And I'm getting OT for this.

drat THE BAD LUCK! drat IT ALL TO HELL!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

It's a switching loop.

...glad it's not my problem.

You know, I was pretending to be mad, while secretly being happy for you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty pricey, tapes don't like hot/cold, so you'd need a pretty robust box to store them in long term, with some pretty great AC and heat.

Not to mention the weekly tape rotation to the Titan offsite facility is going to be MAD expensive.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

<starts looking to the skies for that one giant meteor to hit the Earth>

Yay you, buddy!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aragaith posted:

Good news. We're mostly fixed aside from users who were not in today. Helpdesk can handle that.

The story I got was there was an attempt to import AD accounts into PeopleSoft. No one says what failed but it lead to 4500 accounts being disabled. When they re-enabled the accounts the passwords were somehow scrambled up. Thankfully there is an intranet password reset link, so we were assisting users with having a point of login to access this, enter their login ID, then it texts or emails(this still makes no sense as an option) a code to verify the user. Sadly about 40% of accounts did not have a phone number entered correctly on the backend, so some only had email as the option, which is locked out. We lack tools to flat out reset and unlock accounts because parent company compartmentalizes all functions and limits who has access to what. Helpdesk can help force password resets but they were getting swamped. If an account was locked from too many failed password attempts the intranet reset will fail with a generic error, which lead to Security Admins getting direct calls by us field techs, which also eventually got swamped. Eventually we got access to add phone numbers to peoples accounts, which kinda helped, but by the time we got it we were almost done everywhere.

Thankfully we are now back to functioning again.

Well, looks like you are prepared for next time...

(You KNOW there will be a next time.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, IIRC it's some game-specific case mod, Resident Evil maybe?

The Raspberry Jam Out Of Diskspace, by H. P. Lanparty.

Marcade posted:

Pickman's Modem, surely?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

"You fool, Warren is #$@^^/ NO CARRIER"

Arquinsiel posted:

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7iW_VuR8d0

The Dialup Handshake of Erich Zann?

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

Honestly I can't tell any difference between 300 mbps speed I got when I got a new router vs. the 100mbps I was getting with the old one. So I cut my service down to 200 to save a few bucks.

I would've cut it further down to 100mbps but it's only a $5/month upgrade. If you can't beat your ISP, join 'em :v:

stevewm posted:

Strangely... my upload is normal... I have 1000/500 service (fiber, yay!), but it seems to be capped at 250/500 currently. It is likely the ONT port, for the second time. Just haven't been bothered to take my laptop outside to the ONT and connect it directly to test.

stevewm posted:

I miss my 90MB/sec Steam downloads.

I say this with all due love and respect, but I hate you all with the unbounded fury of a thousand suns going nova. (Looks at his 3mpbs connection) :argh::barf:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I used to live next to City Airport in London. I had Hyperoptic Internet, 1gbps both up and downstream.

I now live out in the sticks in Scotland. 80mbps down, 20 up.

Ugh. I went from having forgotten that things actually take time to download and not caring about ever saturating the connection to... well things taking up to half an hour to download and settling bandwidth limits on servers...

Sigh.

You are on my fury list now too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I know on my buddy's Archer C9 wireless admin access is a toggle.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Apex Rogers posted:

I started with the classic Apple ][e. The monitor even had colors! Mostly used for Oregon Trail and Number/Word Munchers, to be honest. And to print out cool banners on the dot-matrix printer.

Classic Apple ][+.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I started out with a Kaypro PC (8088, woo!) at home and Apple ]['s at school. The first computer I bought for myself was a Dell with a Pentium 3. I actually used the 21" Trinitron I got with it as my primary monitor for nearly a decade. The only reason I stopped was that it, being a Trinitron, weighed as much as a neutron star and was a pain in the rear end to move.

I didn't get to use a Kaypro until high school.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

iSCSI over PPPoE over WiFi.

For security reasons. :unsmigghh:

SSL tunnel that poo poo! You don't want Bobby Tables capping your packets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I used to have that, but for some reason it stopped working with iOS?

It was so useful :(

Javid posted:

I use it on iOS to this very day so I don't know what issue you're having

It's not IOS, but I use AirDroid for the same thing with Windows and my Android phone. It's a freemium model, but the pay part just gets you support and bigger file transfer limits. Plus, since it works with LAN, that's one less cable to my computer...