Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A critical application for the call center broke.

Rather than notify me (the NOC) so I can escalate to all appropriate groups, the call center management skips the middle man and notifies all the SMEs and the application's vendor themselves. I only found out because another department saw the e-mail chain and said, why isn't the NOC on this if they're supposed to be the first point of contact?

An hour later, call center management came in to complain to me that I wasn't doing my job correctly because they did my job for me without telling me there was an issue in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jesus Christ

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

*sighs deeply*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dats me

because at 3PM when I was supposed to go home, I offered to work overtime

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
now I'm sitting here getting paid to watch TV because I murdered the queue too fast

which sounds great but I've been here for 12 hours and my gf has a nice hot dinner waiting for me at home

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

I am not high enough for this

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello thread I have been on the phone with Cisco for nearly a half hour trying to get this TAC raised to sev 1.

Good thing this ticket isn't critical or anything :thunk:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

So basically everyone’s suspicions about how the Hawaii false alarm happened have been confirmed:

https://twitter.com/civilbeat/status/953127542050795520

:catstare:

hngggg yessss that's the good stuff

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

I want to know what kind of confirmation / warning dialog you get (if any) when you click one of the options.

I bet that if there even is one it’s a generic “are you sure?” that says nothing specific about the option you chose.

I'm sure it's identical between all of the options

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I took a class in college on UI design. 90% of the class was me listening to the professor saying "no poo poo, who'd but dumb enough to do that."

I have my answer.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Collateral Damage posted:

Entropic posted the tweet which showed the actual screen earlier. It's really not much better than the parody.

the actual is worse

at least the parody is color coded

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

The Design of Everyday Things is a pro read

I'm gonna pick this up, it sounds real neat

Thanks, Ants.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renaissance Robot posted:

A ticket came in to the War Thunder thread:

holy poo poo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

On Tuesday, the state emergency agency provided what Rapoza described as a “more accurate” look at what a worker might see.

yeah because that's so much better than before

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
burn the whole place down imo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

being bullied is seen as cool

and that's why I post on something awful

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*sighs deeply*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's a common misconception, but that character is actually called Zelda.

lol

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So, like, because I work in an ISP and what not I really shouldn't provide specific details about our outages

But, uh, when a phone call starts with "So we heard a really loud 'pop' and the fire alarm went off" you know a ticket's going to be really bad.

Really, really, really bad.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I got a job in Support at a software engineering company with literally zero experience in a legitimate office environment based off of knowing Excel, problem solving skills, and 10 years of a great track record working in restaurants. 3 years later I walked into a QA position in development at the same company with literally zero development experience. You'll be fine.

please post uplifting stories like this

I got rejected for a promotion I really really want for the 3rd time in a row and I'm feeling downnnnnnnnn

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm having a hard time finding a new job because I'm just a computer secretary who's job is to yell at people all day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spankmeister posted:

Time to find another job.

ya I'm trying but I've never had very much luck.

I think the biggest problem is that I like where I work, I like the company, I like the people I work with, and I like the technology I get to futz around with. What I don't like is my specific role because it's empty and unfulfilling and I'm ready for more. So really what would make me happy, and what I want more than anything, is just to take a step up within the department. When I look outside the company, my heart isn't really in it.

I've been turned down 8 times now. Possibly more, I'm losing count.

I spoke to a recruiter yesterday about a job that is identical to what I do but pays 5-10k more. But it's temp to perm :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
gonna e/n for a second here but honestly my biggest obstacle is job rejection fatigue.

Maybe I suck at interviews, perhaps I'm just a lovely human being and don't realize it, but I'm just tired of being rejected all the time. Every interview I've had for the past 2 years ended up in a rejection, even the ones that I didn't really want that much. I'm stuck in that catch 22 of needing experience to get a job that will get me the experience.

This is all complicated by the fact that I kind of desperately need more money because I have a wedding coming up so taking a step back in pay isn't really an option.

2 years ago I was told by our network team that I need a CCNA to get a job there. Six months later I got my CCNA and that's amounted to...jack poo poo. There's been 3 openings in that department since I got my CCNA. One had some kind of back room deal go on and I was never even given a chance, and the other 2 was "Hey renegret it was a tough call you were both very good candidates but the other person was just slightly better I'm sorry but next time for real you got this!" From the outside I know it looks like a carrot on a stick and personally I'd be yelling at me to leave, but man, I really want that job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What have I been rejected from internally...

let's see

Network team: 2 times. 3 if you count the time where I comedy applied despite being horribly unqualified.
Video team: 3 times.
Supervisor: 2
Systems : 1

(e: oh yeah, 1 more for an admin position supporting an internal tool. The person who ended up getting the job, is a bigger tool than the tool she got hired to support)

All internal job postings have to go through HR and have a phone screening with HR first. At this point I'm on the first name basis with the HR lady, and when she sees my name pop up she just calls me and says "hey I'm sending your name up to management, nice talking to you again!"

thank you for listening this has been the renegret e/n therapy station nation

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Cool I just had a chat with the guy who got the last network job over me because I just remembered something.

A little less than 2 years ago we were both CCNA-less. The department decided they were going to do some extra training and get some people their CCNAs. I was notified that I was selected for the program, except by that point I was already studying hard for a month, and I had already scheduled my ICND1 the same week that the classes were set to start. I had a chat with the manager of the network team and told him that because I'm so far along, a lot of the class would be wasted on me and it would be better for the team if I just continued doing my own thing and stepped aside for someone else to take the class who would get more value out of it than I would.

The person who got the promotion over me is the same person who got a spot in that class because I stepped aside. He admitted to me he would've never gotten his CCNA without that class.

I lost a promotion because I did the right thing.

What a lovely way to learn an obvious lesson.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

wtf is that anyway

we're both idiots who hate money

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

While this sucks in some pretty spectacular ways, doing the right thing does not always produce the desired result. The fact that you stepped aside to help the guy next to you speaks volumes, so please don't lose sight of the fact this was a very good thing for you to do. Sometimes life just sucks and gives you the short stick :(

Something that's slightly frustrating is that I'm friends with the person who got it. I have nothing but respect for the guy and I just can't be mad at him. When I passed off that spot in the training class, he got it because I specifically requested that he would get it. If it was anybody else who got the job I'd be punching holes through walls, but this guy really does deserve it. Which is not to say I don't think I don't deserve it either. I'm legitimately happy for him and I know he's going to do well.

That being said, if I ever find out that they chose him because he's a father of two kids who is forced to work two jobs to support his family because his wife doesn't work, and I'm a DINK. Well, there's going to be hell.

e: but thank you, your post makes me feel a little better about myself :)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What do we look like? Costco?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blackswordca posted:

Welp, Boss is giving a full refund plus a discount on labor for the initial setup.

I just.... I dont know.

Mind if I swing by to pick up my 1/4 pound hot dog and drink (with free refill)?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spog posted:

I bet the number the customer gave was a cell phone.

I don't know and I don't have the ability to check sadly. But in my head cannon you're right.

The ticket itself was on a different schema that I don't have access too. I sit next to some of the guys who take those escalations and when a real good one comes in they tell everyone about it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bob Morales posted:

:lol:
Put a big ol chunk of Himalayan salt by the antenna

I'll have someone douse it in essential oils while they're installing the salt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey Renegret, can you open a ticket for us?

We didn't tell you this was going on an hour ago because we thought it wasn't customer affecting but it turns out we have dozens of complaints, there was a piece of equipment that was failing and it took down an entire remote site and- wait, where are you going, why are you crawling under your desk

"I'm a groundhog and you just showed me my shadow"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

Most cell phone providers have an e-mail to sms gateway service.

For example, ATT has @txt.att.net and @mms.att.net

Where you could email 1235551234@mms.att.net and the cell phone number would receive the message as a text.

important question

if there's someone I don't like, can I sign up someone I don't like to all kinds of stupid mailing lists like the good old days, but use their 1235551234@mms.att.net e-mail and get the spam sent to them via SMS?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Farking Bastage posted:

Yeah Verizon’s is @vtext.com. Or at least it used to be

Still is

I actually use it to page our field techs because they respond better to text messages than e-mails.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
and by "respond better to texts than e-mails" what I really mean is that we used to use nextels, and our field techs are set in their ways and are super resistant to change.

I actually miss those nextels

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Aunt Beth posted:

Because of the quality of the devices, right? Not because of that godawful annoying PTT.

Both, really.

The nextels were much more resistant to EMI than their cell phones are, so our techs could speak freely inside a head end. On these new phones, the EMI creates so much background noise that they usually have to walk outside to have a conversation, or call back on the landline. In some remote sites, the reception is so lovely that they don't get pages, e-mails, or phone calls, and they're too far away from the main office to hear the phone ringing in there when I get desperate and call that.

It was also much easier to remember a person's 4 digit nextel than 10 digit phone number so there was less rummaging through tickets to find contact information. I also worked overnights when we had them, and it was much easier to chirp the on call to wake them up and let them respond on their own time rather than a real nasty phone call.

e: Actually my favorite use of the nextel was using it to call another department that had really long call hold times. I'd use the nextel to yell at them to pick up the drat phone I'm more important than whatever schmuck you're talking to now.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 2, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I also felt really cool using them.

Like, all my teenage dreams came true at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lambeth posted:

I work at a healthcare company which does IT for radiology centers. Over the past few days, one of the centers got one of their scanners replaced. However, they ran into an issue yesterday with the new scanner where the images were being scanned upside down. The vendor for the scanner decided to fix this by replacing the computer connected to the scanner with another one (not the easiest thing to do since the scanner computers are on XP and the rest of the center's computers are on 7 (no, I don't know why they're on XP)). Everything works fine after that. However, the computer didn't actually need to be replaced. Would anyone like to guess what the issue was?

Salt the earth.

lmao

ctrl+alt+arrow keys