Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

to whom it may concern:

My bookmark no longer goes to this thread.

Please advise

Best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

Only the newbies. I do have a better parking spot though. And, I work all summer (no, teachers don't work on teacher things during the summer. If they do professional development, they get paid generously for it).

come on son they don't even get comped for supplying their classrooms

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gotta invoice them for your billing department's time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KillianLett posted:

Does anyone else have "Due dates" on tickets? This is a new thing for me, and I find them generally pointless.

Personal opinion is that as long as there is regular activity from our end, I'm happy.
Sure a ticket may have a hard date of needing completion, but that can just be listed in the ticket (Server must be installed on the 5th, etc).

Thoughts?
These are cancer. I have instruction to close tickets after 3 days regardless to avoid going past them for a middle manager which means we miss user communications (those have to be sent through the ticketing system.)

Coincidentally the quality of work per has decrease since the only thing I"m tracked on is whether or not I close it before it's "red" on a report. We also have tickets put into the system for admin tasks up to 60 days in advanced which are labeled as emergency with 6 hour time to close.

stupid stupid stupid

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

We're moving a lot more to this kind of thing, because our new VP is a very "data driven" fellow. I don't have any issue with sending out surveys here and there and asking for generalized feedback. But he's all into TARGET COMPLETE DATES and TICKET TIMERS and tracking hours and a bunch of other poo poo that doesn't really do anything to improve service delivery.

hey this is why I'm job searching.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A high priority ticket comes in, first action: change the priority to low for statistics.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

At $OLDJOB-2 we had both this as well as "close ticket immediately as soon as you think an issue's fixed, make the customer open a new ticket if it's not". My habit of "hey, we show it's fixed from our end, but if you could confirm it's fixed for you, that'd be great!" and leaving tickets in a pending auto-close state (if the customer didn't reply within 72 hours, then it closed itself) was seriously super frowned upon once a new management team rolled in. It was so stupid, and we had so many customers bitch about it, but GOTTA HAVE THEM TICKET CLOSE METRICS :byodood:.
We're a completely private org where user downtime is lost revenue so I used to do your workflow. A good user relationship really helps the entire org. Now I'm hoping that my team as a whole will be aggressively compliant so we will get get more complaints than 1 a year and IT is trusted less. Soon I feel I may become one of the "knowledge base workers" and coast as actual effort isn't rewarded.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yep, none of those things matter, except maybe SLA.
our termination SLA is < 12 hours. We get tickets for them up to a month in advance.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 18, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

:supaburn: Help! I can't get into Sharepoint!

:stonk: Your password expired.

:supaburn: WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH SHAREPOINT?

:stonk: Well...

:supaburn: I CAN'T GET INTO SHAREPOINT. I LIKE MY PASSWORD AND DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT.

I feel like I just ruined this person's morning or something. What the christ.

hahah my [only?] complaint when I was helpdesk was regarding a woman's PW. I unlocked it and immediately hung up since she was yelling. Then fielded the callback and my own complaint, she didn't recognize my name or voice and I could tell her secretary was very very uncomfortable. Routed that complaint to security regarding our PW policy and kept my name off it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

We're not on IT's network, that's how the whole problem started.

IT recommended we just get on their drat network and VPN into whatever we needed on the other network like normal human beings but my management thinks it's too much effort to rewire the PCs to get to the corporate network. I think they forgot that the correct drops are already there and ready to go. Plus...that's IT's job anyway. My coworkers also thinks IT is going to spy on our web usage and fire us if we're caught on amazon, like IT actually gives a drat.

It is when you can call a supervisor over to type the password in every time you need it.

:suicide:

ha someone is trying to protect their job imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

There's a lot of that going on right now so yeah. Just lay me off at this point, I don't give a drat.

Considering we're absorbing the responsibilities of two other departments right now, (it's just for redundancy though! Nobody's getting laid off! We promise!), I don't think my department has anything to worry about.

Oh not you. Those policies are set by a dead man desperately attempting to stay relevant against progress

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

null_pointer posted:

gently caress me, brkrprcs64.exe is eating up a huge chunk of my laptop's CPU, all the loving time. It's apparently part of the Symantec Endpoint Protection plugin for Chrome but the god drat thing runs, constantly, even when Chrome isn't open.

The L2 tech is completely useless. When I told him that the process was using so much CPU that it was constantly running down my battery, he said "do you want a new battery?" :rolleyes:

I don't have admin properties to be able to lower the process' priority, so I asked him to uninstall / reinstall both Chrome and Symantec. Dude did zero research on this and I'm ready to strangle him.

So, uhhh, I put a ticket in, I guess?

EDIT: with my luck the dude is a goon and will hate me forever for bashing him, in this thread.

there's a management chomre process that you can kill which removes everything.

otherwise I"m assuming it's a managed extension and you can remove in HKCU\software\policies I think.

chrome v67 iirc is also complete dogshit. 1709 and chrome v67 make a cpu unusable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

User called me direct to get her out of tablet mode on Windows 10, which she didn't know what it was or how it got turned on.

Monday.

if you turn on tablet mode via the notification area the control panel settings do not matter!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble with a Windows 10 machine since the creators update where it stalls for a good 10 to 20 seconds on startup, either before or after I log in (but not both). It's not on any kind of workgroup or what have you.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Windows defender has been destroying my machine since 1709.

big ol' shrug though, nothing to be done.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You have the same issue a friend does, you seem to care. Just let it burn down around you.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm a small shop still (1 man) so I go for fun names. Currently my ESXi server is Asgard and it hosts Windows servers Odin (Accounting and Files) and Loki (Exchange)

gonna be real awkward when the hulk virus fucks all your poo poo up

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Thanos is the name of the load balancer.

Marvelous

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

New guy at the helpdesk, no troubleshooting, no information in tickets, just "no KB"

no information in the loving tickets.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I used to be polite when I had to call the ISP but now I'm just full on rear end in a top hat from "hello"

I'm OK with lovely service, I'm not ok with that resulting in charging me for my own modem.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

"Sorry I don't have the training nor the suitable PPE to deal with biohazardous waste."

This is a bridge that I was taught not to cross as a union cart bitch lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dogs and cats usually clean up their own

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

monsterzero posted:

I wish our ticketing system generated a 'Your case has been closed, if everything is good please do not reply. If you wish to offer your gratitude, click this thumbs-up icon.' message when a case was closed. Half my tickets get re-opened with with a 'Thank you." drat polite coworkers.

I hope to be an end user one day so i can reply with the Canadian "Thanks" then "sorry" for every ticket (there will be a ticket every PW change)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

We began having a bunch of remote workers this week. We've gotten three or four calls that are "my phone and this software that is incredibly sensitive to any sort of network interruption aren't working." "Well, are you having any other network issues?" "No, Netflix is working fine."

every time this dude gets in a plane or a train tunnel he puts in an emergency ticket about citrix disconnects

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

this stuff is only sheet and not book protection right?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

taiyoko posted:

So I am part of an outsourced helldesk. Some clients pay our company $$$ for us to be their exclusive helldesk, others we're only the after-hours team. This means that every client's systems and what permissions and software we have to do administrative tasks vary from firm to firm.

So I'm having to teach myself SCCM by trying to figure out why this poor lady's Acrobat Pro install has been stuck at "Downloading (0%)" in Software Center since yesterday afternoon. I think it's at least in part because the documentation we had said to put the user in $collection, but you can't do that. You can only put devices in $collection. So now I have to try to get back on her system to force a policy retrieval and she's not at her desk to hit the "allow" button. And on top of it, work other tickets because they don't stop coming.

when this happens with us the acro installs already exist in windows\ccmcache so you gotta track down the msi and mst in that dir to manually kick that off.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

One of our problem employees was able to limp along without being fired until he forgot to keep his gun in his vehicle before coming in

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

This may sound controversial, but perhaps the people who routinely carry aren't the ones committing workplace shootings. Radical I know.

statistically they're more likely to eat that bullet in the bathroom

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

At what point are people going to need to take burner laptops with them when visiting the US?

that's been the case for a few years for completely foreign orgs iirc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Now you can unionize and have a work stoppage for better pay

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just gotta install Crystal reports 2013 on a new 2019 server.

"Failed to update cache for execution. Program will exit."

Top Google hits do not resolve e.g. renaming the temp packages etc. Anyone encounter this?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Same :sigh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hahaha thanks. We're acting as an in between party so I assumed we were given comparable products.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's everyone's favorite sync org contacts from 365 to mobile offering? They're currently setup in a public folder for this client

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

quote:

Do you know what this server is doing? Infosex?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're not putting a local image of the install media rip

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's a good free phishing test for SMBs?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The worst ones are hard wired so if they go low overnight and you don't have a 9v the dogs just cry and cry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The joy if lowly AD powershell is that you could make the same mistakes in the gui. It's the sysadmins issue tbqh. Just don't do something like pipe all uses into disabled.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can't imagine it's HIPPA or other data, else the company's IT would be held. SMB that didn't restrict local admin.

I work at a MSP, we have local admin for all users on all boxes for one client. I'm just waiting for this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why even two weeks. Hr is leaving too and the boss won't give references