Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Cisco probably runs an antivirus on their servers and workstations so it would be reasonable to say "they scan for viruses daily" because someone probably does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I work for a fairly large university, supporting a few hundred windows PCs. We're getting more and more Macs to support, which is a pain in the rear end that I can't do anything about. I've been told that, although our central IT organization has a Casper implementation, we won't be using that because it's too expensive per unit. So everything we need to do to these drat things has to be done manually. Is there something my department can buy for a reasonable price that will let us manage < 100 Macs remotely? Stuff like enforcing security settings, remote access to user machines, installing software, mounting (smb/cifs) network shares, etc?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I never pirate anything on my work computer. I download it at home, then copy it to my work computer.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My office manages tickets by having a big queue and each of the techs just grabs whatever tickets they feel like, nobody actually assigns anyone anything.

If you think that all of the techs are adult enough to handle this, you are mistaken. If you think that any of the techs are adult enough to handle this, you are still mistaken.

I am not adult enough to handle this because my anxiety plays up if there are tickets sitting unclaimed and so I end up doing all the work.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What is up with HP (and it's only HP) printer software installers? Why do they always take like 20 minutes to install a printer driver? What are they doing in there? I've experienced this for years, every place I've worked, around eight in ten installations will sit there on the setup screen forever. I'm surprised I don't hear more people talk about this. Less surprised that it hasn't been fixed.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Honestly we have so many computers that are left on for a week with a dozen people logged in, half assed custom apps that leak memory everywhere, and people running five hundred suspicious browser windows at once that rebooting is the only solution to most of our dumb problems. I mean training and decent programmers would also work but we're not doing that so reboots it is.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Truga posted:

I said nothing about it until people started posting about breaking a perfectly good laptop because it was old. Fine, your old blackberries are poo poo and useless. Old laptops? gently caress you, give it to someone who can use it.

and what the gently caress, I *am* a bottom level employee, i had to lobby my boss so we started doing that poo poo. I mean my company as in the place I work at

Truga posted:

yeah, i insisted on SSDs into everything and anything at work some 5 years ago and the response from everyone was amazing.

What kind of company are you working for? In most places a "bottom level" employee never even sees a C level, let alone has any input into company policy.

Truga posted:

a 5 year old office laptop is going to be fine for checking email, light browsing, playing warframe, or watching a movie. it can't handle 20 tab chome or bigass excel tables anymore, but home users don't need that.

lol no it isn't, 4 GB of ram and a 5400 RPM drive isn't going to be useful for poo poo, let alone loving Warframe. Is your company like that doctor's office that buys receptionists and nurses gaming laptops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Happy Litterbox posted:

I once asked one of those people, if the monitor is the computer then what's the big beige tower under their desk. Apparently it's "The Box".

Around here it's usually the "hard drive"