Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

We had performance appraisals today. I went in already pissed and annoyed at this place, but with the added confidence that I don't actually NEED this job anymore. I have the experience and connections to get work. I'm leaving this place no doubt, but my remaining time here will be spent on my own terms.

On my self-appraisal, I put that over the next year, I plan on finding a proper balance between my coordinator duties and my newfound technician duties. When he asked me to list what percentage of my time is spent on each area of my job description, I listed that 70% of my time is spent offering tech support, 20% is towards maintenance of technology, and 10% for administrative duties. I told him that 70% and 20% need to switch but it's impossible with just me working. His advice was "just spend less time doing tech support. You need to manage your time better."

Deal. Here's how the next year is going:

- Tech support is down to two days a week. If it breaks on an off-day, you'd better have a contingency in place because "mouse died" doesn't grind teaching to a halt.

- No new projects that aren't specifically proposed by myself. I don't care that random math teacher wants to start using some bullshit LMS no one else has heard of that requires I spin up its own VM to host it. I don't care that such and such school uses virtual reality to teach foreign languages. I don't care that you want to be able to play 30 year old VHSs on the projector in the auditorium. Find a way to make what you have work for you for the next year.

- This next year is solely to be spent on stabilizing our infrastructure. It's old, it's poorly maintained, and we are in desperate need of upgrades. I've worked out deals with schools all over the state to donate actually nice equipment that will result in an entirely new network infrastructure for absolutely zero dollars and I refuse to let some bullshit pie in the sky idea from entitled faculty take up a second of my precious time until we've got a modern network in place.

- I will be saying "no" a lot more. People can deal with it.

- Moving from analog lines to a VOIP system will save us $20k a year. That money is to go directly into my budget and is not to be touched by anyone and will be specifically set aside to hire a skilled employee for at least $40k a year. (that's honestly a lot of money around here)

- Fridays I will be working from home and am not to be disturbed unless something is on fire.

This is all in writing and was signed by both myself and the director. It's amazing how quickly he backs down when someone shows even the slightest bit of backbone.

I got an interview for a Database III Programmer.

It's a good day, guys :unsmith:

VIVA EL LARCHES! (Los larches?)

Oyster posted:

I got a job offer yesterday doing exactly what I do now for a competitor but with more pay, certifications paid for, and a clear promotion path. I called my boss this morning because I quite frankly have no idea if I signed a non-compete when I started here two years ago, and when he asked why I'd need that information I told him honestly.

30 seconds later the senior vice president of the Midwest called me, offered to match the other company, plus cert reimbursement and a clear plan to move into an analyst role.

I told him I'd stay if he could make that happen. He has 48 hours before I accept the other job. Hoping that was the right call.

Funnily enough no one directly answered if I signed a non-compete, but given the quick turnaround and counteroffer I'm going to guess the answer is "no".

Get it in writing, after corporate counsel approves of it. Get all the copies signed by you, the SVP, and a witness. Insist on retaining a written copy.

You'll need that when they break all their promises and you sue them for breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Okay sir, let's begin your radiation treatment."

*clackityclackityclack*

"Huh... I wonder what malfunction 54 means..."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FWIW I had my resume done by the goon in question and my Linkedin profile done by a goon who was doing it at the time. Both did great work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chiming in about the workplace culture and boringness: it makes all the difference in the world. In my current role, I will never advance from being a sysadmin into any form of Windows infrastructure engineering, which would be my course track (maybe VMware). Corporate IT does that, they are in another state, and I ain't moving (mortgage and family are all here). I don't think I'll have the ability to influence budget and fill some gaping holes (corporate won't allow a redundant Hyper-V server for clustering VMs in case of failure, because if a VM dies or the H-V host shits the bed we'll just restore the backup at Corporate until the fix is in) and other stupid poo poo that we do iffy or wrong won't get fixed. There's no 401k match or bonus.

However, on the other side of that equation: no dress code, really laid-back office, amazing relationship with a great boss that respects me, my co-workers, and our work-life balance. 8-4 shift and I leave at 3:50 to catch the early train. The pay is pretty good. Benefits are meh but decent. We don't have video games in the office but nobody really cares if you watch Youtube on your downtime. Plus we're not going anywhere anytime soon and if I go, my boss - who is already overloaded with technical projects that only he or the other guys here can do - will have to become sysadmin again, and he'd fight that tooth and nail.

I've been coming into balance more and more, fighting the "if you don't move up in your career you're going to be screwed later!" urge. I'm staying current on my MS certs just in case the poo poo hits the fan, but I'm slowly starting to accept more and more the fact that I might just be okay working here until retirement age.

It's a very, very odd feeling, especially for IT, IMO.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

I would like to hug you one of these days. Like, I wanna just be all like "Larches! Get over here, buddy!" and give you a big-rear end bearhug.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm on 50mbps for Comcast. I max at around 2.9mbps/sec Steam or otherwise direct downloads.

Maybe I'm just old but I still remember modem download speeds, and I can live with what I'm getting pretty happily.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the job hunt and dreading the possibility of a Jersey job. Been commuting to the same place in the West Village just one month shy of 3 years now. Even if it involves a transfer at Newark Penn to the PATH and across the platform at Journal Square, it's maybe a 1 hour and 15 minute commute.

I may end up having to take the train back to NY Penn and then an A/C/E or 1/2/3 subway but so help me God I will not do that crosstown schlep to the B/D/F/M and THEN the subway somewhere else. That drat extra logistical step sucks rear end.

From where I am in NJ, if I go north on the Parkway or west on 24, it's a traffic nightmare. If I'm going west on 78, it's a longer drive to get to anywhere that'd hire a sysadmin/infrastructure engineer. Driving sucks, you can't watch shows while you're driving, unless you really wanna get hurt or killed by not paying attention.

EDIT: any NYC-working goons want to get together for drinks or something? I feel like I'm losing out by not networking but I feel weird going into a Meetup if I don't have one concrete thing that unites me with the group doing the meet.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have people email us for password resets from personal email addresses.

Rather than "ignore them and delete the ticket" the policy is "their manager is responsible for maintaining their employees' cell #s, ask the manager for the cell, call the employee, and give them the PW"

I had to drum up support to make that latter policy work.

I can't wait for someone to cryptowall us when whoever swipes their phone gets the request in before the employee can get it replaced and the number moved over.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Is it just me or does calling to verify identity seem like a fine way to do it?

Not when you're the sysadmin who also gets 100% of all helpdesk crap because his boss just doesn't have the time or inclination to look over contractor resumes.

I am in the :yotj: process. A great company culture only goes so far if you can't stand the work you do.

devmd01 posted:

A ticket came in this morning: “work order notifications are not being delivered to technicians from ServiceNow.” Kind of a big deal for us since our main business application is built in servicenow, and we are a service provider type organization.

Due to an “administrative error” aka I hope someone got fired today, our data center provider somehow managed to kill the dns records for their domain. This had some rather unpleasant side effects as we host our external dns with them (in six different datacenters), however when your own domain whois records point to ns1-6.provider.com....

Oddly enough servicenow was the only application that reported issues, it queried and cached a bad response while they had dns hosed up. Time to export the zones to csv and write a little script to import them into Azure DNS!

Does your provider's name rhyme with "ingredient" because I'm getting "we hosed up our DNS" incident alert emails from our cloud backup service provider.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A voice mail came in from the Prince of All Saiyans...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can I ask a pretty meta question, assuming that this thread is full of infrastructure people?

Have you ever really sought out a job that you loved, and if so, how did you seek out the company in question? I'm part of this job-hunt working group where the target is to sort of build a network introduced connection to a manager at Company X, preferably in the department you want to work, so when the time comes, you have a referral or at least a personal connection with someone doing hiring or having influence.

My thing is that I've always worked at jobs that were a trade-off of goods and bads. I've never really said "I want to work at Widgetco, it seems like a great place" and set it as a target. I figure I should set a target somehow.

I think my best bet will to be going down the Inc/Crain's/etc. "best places to work in NYC/NJ" lists and seeing if I can ascertain if they have IT positions, then search accordingly, assuming they don't have huge warning signs on Glassdoor.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Had what I believe to be one of the better interviews I've ever done at a company that I'd love to work at on Friday.

Dear Lord I'm trying to mitigate my hopes so I don't get let down if they go with someone else but I'm freakin' dying here :ohdear:

I desperately need to :yotj: so I never end up in a company small enough to go "hey, the helpdesk guy sucks, let's fire them and have MJP cover it"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Hi, I need to set up %companyname% email on my phone"
"Okay, we have a document for that. Do you have an Apple phone or an Android phone?"
"No, I have an iPhone"

How hard is it to :yotj: if you quit your current job? I've been helpdesking too much as a senior sysadmin... as in 100% of the time, basically, and I'm ready to take a header off the GWB than come into work tomorrow for another day like this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:yotj: happened!

My current job termed the helpdesk guy in June 2017, and due to a hiring freeze and politics, we could only get a contractor and even then their start was delayed to Jan 2018. There was no conversion to full-time guaranteed, and we made the contractor aware, but after we extended it in April, he asked if there was any chance of going FT. I couldn't guarantee, nor could my boss, and he looked elsewhere, leaving in mid-April. I've been doing helpdesk for 12 out of the last 15 months, for all intents and purposes, all the while the corporate IT people at our HQ were taking the projects back in house.

I work (and as of 9/24, worked) for a radio station, so the stuff I did do had more to do with the radio industry and broadcasting than anything applicable in the senior sysadmin side of things. It was a really cool place to work - hip-hop and sports luminaries were in and out, I ran into ICP once, and it was pretty cool. My first T-shirt-and-jeans dress code.

The new job is a slight salary bump but I'm going to be doing infrastructure engineering and working way more with Azure and O365, finally. I can telecommute if and when I want, I'm ~*~salaried non-exempt~*~, I've got 850 stock units that vest over 4 years, and a slightly easier commute with only two transfers rather than 3.

Wish me luck, thread, I lurk here a lot and coming from a position where I had to reboot toilets and schlep around copper piping alongside my normal IT crap, it'll be nice to get back to the meat and potatoes of what I want to do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

One of my best friends is a radio music director so I've heard a ton of stories about working in the industry, good luck on the new job and commute upgrade !!

This place is really cool, as are my co-workers and boss. If I was interested in sticking with the radio industry I probably could have learned the broadcast side and had a job forever - this station is basically going to be forever on the air in its format, and it's an odd niche that we can't be bought out since our size and position in the area would command too high a price for any of the smaller/mid-size radio companies, and the big-size ones are going bankrupt or getting out.

My new commute is drive to train station, train to Newark, then PATH to WTC. I get to get on at the start of the commute on both ends, so now I might actually have a greater than 5% chance of a seat on PATH!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In hope of understanding the basics of devops stuff for my new job, I started reading The Phoenix Project.

I'm on page 55 and having visceral anxiety feelings upon every page. I'm not one to use the word "triggered" but I am feeling just that and I'm probably on the way to go read the Wikipedia article on devops so I don't die.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's so much "this is bullshit, you moron" - sometimes in very close to those words and tone - coming from managers to their direct reports. Whoever wrote this has zero concept of characters and humans to the point that they make Scott Adams look like Philip Roth by comparison of writing skill. The main character shouting someone down and they're perfectly happy with a pat on the shoulder after that? I seriously hope people start quitting soon.

I feel like there's gotta be someone out there writing Phoenix Project fanfic such that Wes just ends up going on a killing spree or something.

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 10, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got an actual weird question. I have a user who wants to have a bunch of fonts installed so she can use them to design Powerpoint presentations according to our sales people's new design guidelines. I want to set Powerpoint so that it will always have Options -> Save -> Embed Fonts in this File checked off, radio button below it always set to "Embed all characters." It defaults to unchecked for any document unless it's already been set.

I could just tell her to do it manually and make a document walking her through it, with the alternative being setting up a GPO to deploy 47 additional fonts to all users in the sales department OU so that everyone's got it. Anyone know if there's a way to do the embed settings automatically? My google-fu fails me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

There's also the part where a character screams out "SMELLS LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEING HAVING SEX IN HERE!", the part where they specifically mention the size of one of the two female characters' breasts, and the multiple parts where the protagonist mentions how I USED TA BE IN THE MARINES.

Even with that shovelled aside, it's still a great book, just in terms of delivering the lesson.

Reading it threw me into a visceral feeling of "oh dear god, what if this happens to me at %newjobthatstartsonthe24th%" to the point where I had to just kinda purge it. Last thing I need is to let myself fall into misery after getting out of same.

Like... I get that it's a business book disguised as a work of fiction, but the author's talents at explaining how to do X or Y process would be far better served as writing them as examples within the context of nonfiction. Basically cut all the Business Drama crap, he writes like freaking Ernest Cline in that he has no grasp of how people actually think, feel, and function. These aren't characters, they're archetypes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

We have some tickets pop up every so often where people end up locked out of exchange hey it happens, they call us and we unlock them in AD. We have a VP user that's traveling that had a password expire while they were out of town so we changed the password. Now one of their devices at home are locking their account out randomly. Director of the department asked that we research which device is locking out, and I've found a few options that I'm looking into, but does anyone have a preferred way to do this?

It looks like Microsoft has some good tools that take work to get the answer, wondering if there's an all-in-one tool that will grab the info for us. Director said find the software that does the job and he'll buy it.

The Exchange CAS logs can probably tell you the IP address that's attempting to make the connection, maybe the hostname or at least the user agent. I'd start there.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in...

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: demotion from computer janitor to normal janitor

I've only got 3 more days in this job, and the helldesk slackeneth not. Come Monday I start out doing actual infrastructure engineering. C'moooon, pod

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 18, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My new job stocks fruits, seltzer, granola bars, etc. Pod status: achieved, partially. Being non-exempt means I'll be doing longer days. 9-6 until I get a little more trained up, but then they say I can make my own hours.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

And anti-semitism.

ftfy

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

But aside from the overt antisemitism, she didn't seem very antsemitic.

She could at least have used the new hotness in covert anti-semitism, e.g. "globalists" :sadhasidim:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a bit of a networking question that's out of my vein. I've been tasked with seeing if it's possible to connect to two different VPNs - Chicago and Secaucus. Chicago is a Cisco SSL VPN, the other I'm not sure the details about but we use Anyconnect and pre-existing connection profiles.

I'm connected to Secaucus and it's a Split Include IPv4 tunnel, IPv6 is Drop All. Transport protocol is DTLS, cipher is RSA_AES_256_SHA1, no compression. Secure Mobility Solution is unconfirmed/status not available.
Chicago uses Duo for two-factor authentication.

Apparently we used to use Shrew VPN to connect to Chicago but there's concerns about its security given that its last update was 2013. OpenVPN is possible but some googling shows that it doesn't work well with Cisco SSL VPN.

I'm basically backing off and looking at the larger "can this happen" question. Chicago and Secaucus are separate environments with their own AD domains with AD-integrated DNS. There is no AD trust or WAN link between them nor can there be due to PCI compliance requirements. We're using Windows 10. Eventually we'll have 5 or 6 people connected to both VPNs basically at all times.

So, is this possible? If so, any suggestions? I can get access to the VPN appliances themselves if necessary, for what it's worth.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Indian English is a wonderful etymology thing, because it gives you sentences like "Horn OK Please" and they have actual true meaning despite looking like word salad

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever had to deal with CSC compliance framework garbage? I may be facing down the specter of having a jumpbox for any and all admin actions, and I'm hoping we can do something that doesn't require setting up deny RDP perms to every single box in our environment save for the jumpbox.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the :yotj: train because I don't think I've ever had a director be so directly unprofessional and disrespectful towards basically everyone. I don't know if it's just how things were at this place while it was just a startup and it just carried over, but lines like "I don't know why you would even think that way" or "horrible work, team" get unironically used in TYOOL 2019.

I'm still unhappy about the implicit anti-semitic joke he made during a very tense meeting. I came very close to going to HR for the first time in my career.

I learned everything I know about Azure here, and I don't have bullshit to deal with. My co-workers are awesome, my commute is great, the office is good, and I'm loving hourly - as in eligible for OT, and basically every month I get six hours of time and a half due to patching. I lose out on so much by leaving, but holy poo poo, nothing feels worse than being treated disrespectfully by someone in a position of authority over you on a frequent and daily basis.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:sever:

I quit my last job because my boss was a creep, a registered sex offender, and engaging in blatantly criminal activities at work. I didn't have anything to go to, either. I carpetbombed every job search and resume posting site in the region and got an offer within 4 weeks, otherwise I was prepared to throw all my belongings back in a U-Haul and move back in with my parents in Montana. I mean, my co-workers had to spread a rumor that I was gay to make sure dude won't send me dick pics, that's how bad it was.

No job is worth your sanity.

The worst part is that I've spent my entire time here - just around 11 months - exposed to this crap, trying to cope with it and figure out how to deal. Even when I made the mental shift to :yotj: mode I started thinking "maybe I don't want to throw this all away" and then he pulled a similar thing as the most recent one, being the "I don't know why you would think X". That sealed that deal. This week it was "I should probably be professional and not cite him as the reason I'm leaving" to planning to name and shame him if asked. If nobody does an exit interview with me, I'm going to send the details to our office's HR contact. I'm throwing in the anti-semitic remark for good measure.

Seriously, that was insane. We were in the meeting, the other guy said that he was the way he was because he was born in a certain country. I said "that's like saying someone's cheap because they're Jewish," he made a remark about "I don't wanna hear that, %our VP, who is Jewish% makes good budgets."

My jaw literally dropped at that. He said it in the meeting with me, the other guy, and my incoming manager, a member of our team who would take over as the director got promoted into taking on another team along with us.

Literally, when is it ever okay to make a joke affirming stereotypes in an actual professional setting? It shouldn't matter if I, or anyone for that matter, is Jewish - the fact that I am was just... ugh.

I'm taking my brain and skills away. They fired the other guy in that meeting two months for good reason. When I'm gone, it'll screw over my team members, but the second I never have to see his face, hear his voice, or read his messages/emails/etc. again is the second things get better.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

... isn't :yotj: celebrating that you got a job?

:yotj: isn't a new job, it's a state of mind.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

That's too good. That's just too, too good. And can you imagine getting away with saying something was deleted and totally couldn't be recovered, hey, sorry, even though it was valuable evidence demanded by the court? Was the server wiped? Like with a cloth?

And it's too easy to believe that some mouthbreather admin saw the opportunity and took it.

From the Wiki article, the computer consultants that recovered images weren't able to get everything, so someone knew how to at least do something dban-ish to individual files and folders. I'm not sure if it's possible to recover data that's been zeroed out or random-overwritten - never got that deep into IRL computer forensics.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have both SfB AND Teams installed at my new job. Both are used interchangeably, or at least "barely at all" given my group. Phone calls and emails. Very 2010!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're gonna get to the point where spammers are going to use all the available music notes to create increasingly complex symphonies to header out their spam past filters, and some orchestra is going to adopt and play them live.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

'Naked pictures of Anna Kournikova: tootle your bassoon to view!!!'
*tootles bassoon*
*entire orchestra locks up, apart from the banjo players*

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKwx-BFO0E

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am cced in an email where my boss has asked my on-prem Winows engineering colleagues (I'm Azure engineering, he just has me with them to back them up on some minor stuff) to provide reasons why AD is superior to other credential stores.

He has to present this to his boss and that guy's boss tomorrow.

In a Windows environment, the Windows engineering manager cannot shut that poo poo down conclusively by telling them "it's 30+ year old proven technology" or "the alternative is some custom LDAP bullshit". Either he can't, or he's not technically competent enough to do so and has to have his reports produce a defense of literally the backbone of the entire network

Welcome back to Big Corporate IT Department, me. Been a while, innit?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I need to be euthanized or not, but I'm at the point where I'm just not able to understand how to make complex Powershell scripts and thinking I might be better off looking at a management track. I don't really have a coding mindset and anything other than "I've done a get command that dumped what I need to a CSV, now I can create a foreach loop to iterate through that CSV and do Cmdlet X" is just a hell of programmer terminology.

I think I'm one of those people that learns new stuff best if I have situational exercises that approach the new content from different examples, but that stopped being a thing in high school and nobody does classes anymore. I was able do to Powershell in a Month of Lunches but combine complex Powershell with the utter illogic (at least to me) of ARM templates and Azure Policy, and I'm thinking I at least understand what this stuff can do but I can't do it, I should probably at least be able to manage people who can in order to achieve a goal.

I have no passion for management but it looks like if I want to be anything more than an Azure sysadmin in terms of the technical track, it's a shift in skills and mindset that I don't think I can really do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm alright! A lot has changed since we last met. I've gone through some changes and made some realizations that I'd rather them see a happy parent occasionally than a miserable parent regularly. So I'm off to find a place where tech jobs are plenty and people like me can exist. Mississippi is not the bastion of acceptance you'd think it is.

Would there be something balanced with tech enough and close enough? Not sure how easy it is to get to MS from maybe Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham or elsewhere in the Research Triangle part of NC, or maybe even the NYC metro area.

Really glad to see that you're finally moving towards getting the gently caress out of that awful school.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I really considered Birmingham as an option but to be perfectly honest, I'm wanting to get as far away from the south as I can. I've had enough of all of it. The heat, the tornadoes, the bigots, the luddite praise... It's all very ugh.

I've got a very rare blank check to kind of start over anywhere I want so I don't want it to be like, three hours away, ya dig?

Dude, come to northern NJ. Yes, the cost of living is high but the wages tend to match it. I can hook you up with decent recruiters galore. Hell, I'll even scout apartments for you in advance. Tech jobs are everywhere, both in the drivable commute areas of NJ (even in central NJ by Rutgers University), Jersey City, and NYC itself. The commute isn't bad if you live in the right area, and you CAN indeed find affordable places if you have a job.

Happy to help you out if I can, just shoot me a PM.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Big shoutout to everyone here and all the homies not in this thread that aren't getting or won't be getting WFH, and/or have to deal with helpdesk or support stuff during this time. I can't imagine it's easy to deal with the influx of "my VPN no worky" crap, doubly so if they're still making you come into the office.

I will do all I can not to add to your burden from my end. Stout hearts, comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our entire operation is VDI, and it was laggy as gently caress for the first half of the morning. I'm talking 15 seconds to switch tabs in Chrome laggy.