Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Rip old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So basically this shortcut has given intel a massive competitive advantage for the last decade in performance?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

I wonder how this Meltdown and Spectre thing effects network equipment that's Intel based. :derp:

Really hope it doesn't otherwise my life is going to be a living hell for a while.

Palo Alto is already sending me warning emails with new patches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FYI, have really bad issues with kb4057247 on some dell laptops. My desktop guys are having a hard time nailing down the exact problem. Just FYI.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

A bunch of tickets came in: Some of our Win10 1607 machines have started automatically downloading and installing the 1709 update despite it not being approved on WSUS, and these PCs were set by GP to only install security updates, and the update is installing outside of the update window set by group policy. Thanks Microsoft :thumbsup:

I had to reject it in order for my machines not to get them. RIP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Some site we look after has been having some devices acting up, so I log into their APC management card to see nearly 800 power spike events and over 150 brownouts in a week, and their mains voltage is a good 15% lower than it should be. I think that might be related to your issues.

Getting those kinds of issues fixed is such a giant pain in the rear end for me. Power company is going to deflect to your building. The guys you get to look at your building are going to deflect to the power company. You descend into this pit of despair and rage until you pay enough money to all the parties and one of them accidentally fixes it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Anybody else having massive problems installing chrome extensions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7px1lq/chrome_extensions_getting_access_denied/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The protective boot causing even more headache than it currently does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Jesus Christ.

Properly space your ads, web developers. It's even worse when you're trying to click on something near the top of the page and an ad springs into existence under your cursor.

Why does a missile warning system have ads? We really do live in Idiocracy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

hopefully you have AD recycle bin enabled? though I'm not sure how that works in regards to exchange, I know O365 has a recycle bin and items stay in there for 30 days (I believe 30 days) unless you powershell it away.

Even better if it’s 0365. Yo don’t even have to restore the ad object, simply create another with the same upn. It will merge with the o365 email and will show up as it was.

Ran into the issue of Some one deleting an ad object and then a new employee starting if the same name 3 weeks later. She was really confused why her email had a years worth of email in it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

In my experience this banishes the o365 accounts to the nether-realms, requiring powershell destruction and exports :nsacloud:

Maybe it use to or something? The SMTP address only has to match in a sync'd environment for the mailbox to attach. It certainly doesn't overwrite anymore. The original ad objects don't even have to match. I thought it was bizarre myself and kind of a security hazard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dogstile posted:

I briefly worked at one and the general thing was you could have any game you wanted installed on your PC, so long as you were willing to interrupt it if you got suddenly called to do something and only played it at lunch/after work.

Sadly I didn't have the required skills to keep me there (feedback was that my scripting wasn't great, which was fair enough and that I didn't get along with the team, which was weird because it seemed to be going ok, maybe they just weren't willing to tell me).

*shrug* real shame, i liked the place. Did a bunch of extra work to try and get me up to speed on time but thems the breaks. Fuckers did remove me from the discord before I even got home and they've all removed me from everything, so maybe i am the unlikable dude.

They were wanting to talk about you right away.

Nobody telling you about what was bothering them about you usually means the thing they didn't like was embarrassing to mention or you blow up easily. The stinky guy, bad breath guy, rear end crack guy, and disgusting habit guy generally fits those themes really well. Did you eat your own boogers or something?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It was a game company. Why are you assuming he did something? Gamers, and by extension, the people making he games, aren't exatcly known for their social abilities.

Awkward, emotionally retarded goons that can't handle the slightest bit of confrontation. Way easier to have the boss fire them and just cut them out of their digital lives than , god forbid, actually talk to the person.

When I asked the poster if they ate their own boogers did that not tip you off that I am might be talking somewhat in jest?

Call down Francis.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

You've never seen this kind of setup?

I can't fathom why people don't at least strive for this every time they setup a rack. I do this and even go farther to have cable colors for the ports role.

I tend to have to fight off other people who try and plug rack mounted servers/appliances/whatever directly into a switch and then have to swat them down with the quickness. Its device -> patch panel in the same rack -> patch panel in network rack -> switch. Its clean, its efficient, it doesn't look like total loving garbage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I've posted this before but this is our old main rack:

And after we replaced the core switch

I mean its close, but I prefer a 24 port patch panel above and below the switch so its looks more uniform than a full 48 above/below. Still looks a ton better though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

redeyes posted:

Speaking of that, companies that buy laptops instead of proper workstations. RAGE

While I am personally a fan of having a desktop, I get why laptops are the default option now. I guess my environments also have resources available to do the heavy lifting for things you need a desktop for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

:same:

Great news! Our new cell phone is 1/8th of an inch thinner! Okay, I don't actually care though. Please give me a removable battery again.

They want you to buy a new phone when the battery dies and its out of warranty. You aren't getting this back.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah that scam has been around for a few months that I know about. I assume they make a lot of money from it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Oh poo poo. Stuff is about to get exciting.

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

So here's the floor layout:

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

:munch:

This is where you call the local police department and politely ask for someone to come visit if they have have someone to spare. Explain the past issues and the fear of this person being violent. At worst they say no.

If they do send someone, simply wait for the officer to get there and fire them then. Easy and done with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A ticket came in:

I'm reasonably certain she makes six figures.

Whats the issue? That she made a typo with her phone number or that her car was stolen? IDGI

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

That fact that she's notifying you that company data is out in the wild is a step in the right direction.

If you are not able to remotely wipe the ipad, that's a different problem.

And not her problem either. You make your email accessible outside your space of administration you assume the risk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The powershell book is like a whole 35 bucks on the website. Out of all the dumb poo poo you will ever spend money on this won't be rank anywhere.

I promise you that if you do that book right you will end up being more competent than 70% of the sysadmins that have ever worked in the industry just from the book alone. I wish I was kidding.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

The director called me into his office this afternoon and simply handed me a pile of papers. Each one was an email he has received from faculty, staff, and guests that compliment me in some way. There were something like 30 of them.

One of them said something along the lines of “if we expect the technology in this place to be held together with glue, we can’t complain every time our fingers get sticky.”

He then went on to tell me how much he appreciates my work and how much better this place is running under my supervision than the previous three tech coordinators. He said he’s been unfairly judging me based on their performance and he’s let his preconceived notions get the better of him. He said I’m doing an outstanding job and apologized for all the times he’s lost his temper. He revealed that his major focus this next year is to secure funding to reopen my assistant position.

Now I get a four day weekend for Easter.

It was a pretty good day I guess.

gently caress your director. You don't get a pile of 30 papers saying good job unless your director is getting them and then not giving them to you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in..

From an Exchange rule. We created an exchange rule in an attempt to reduce phishing e-mails masquerading as our executive team. The results have been really positive and I almost cheer when I see a bunch of phishing e-mails that didn't make it to a users inbox.

We are madmen that has those rules set to need approval. Its cool to see phishing attacks fail in real time.

Its also weird to find that your ceo has 6 webmail addresses that he somehow send email from that you update to the rule over time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I remember the days of napster/scour and downloading to my hearts content at school to a slave hard drive in a computer in the lab and then taking the slave drive out and taking it home.

Sneaker.net was the best.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

An mass email came in at 6:45pm from a disgruntled student who was expelled. This email put on blast every single student who has drugs in their rooms, secret places they sex, all the dirty laundry in the student world.

The principal texted me in a panic telling me to revoke email access and retract the email.

I was sort of panicking as well, as this has happened before where I have neglected to revoke email access in time and I’m just loving the idea of the shitstorm waiting for me in the morning. I revoked the access, but not a lot I can do about retracting it short of changing everyone’s password and deleting them out of each inbox one by one.

Then I went through all student withdrawal paperwork to see where exactly I hosed up, but couldn’t find where I had been notified by anyone.

Turns out, this student was slated for expulsion at 6:30pm, and no one felt the need to inform me ahead of time.

For once I’m completely in the clear on a tech related fuckup.

This day just gets better and better.

If this is exchange you do a content search for the parameters unique to the email in question. You check the content results to make sure its catching the emails you expect. Then you do a delete based on the content search.

Exchange on prem (newer exchange is probably close to this)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13915.deleting-a-specific-email-from-entire-organization-in-exchange-2010.aspx

Office 365

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...d4-5ebd37b3762a

If this isn't exchange you might be hosed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT

This is why you don't delete anything, merely disable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So a text came in from last job.

'Hey, hope the new job is going well. Could you call *new support person* and let them know how you fixed the windows 10 no USB devices working issue? Thanks"

You mean the issue that I thoroughly documented how to fix in an email thread, in my tickets about the issue and in the internal documentation? Sure I can call them. I'll make sure to send you the bill for my time.

Tell them to apple pay you a few hundred bucks and you will get right on it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

:perfect:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You'd be amazed how many candidates can't figure out the answers to questions they don't know. Hiring my replacement, we asked "what would you do if you had a project to install a firewall and a switch at a new site?"

I talked to my boss beforehand that I was looking for a whole array of possible answers from "I'd check documentation on similar sites and use that as a template" to "I've never worked on that, I would find a qualified vendor to complete the project".

Only 3 out of 11 candidates answered anything remotely acceptable. One guy said he would read the loving ASA manual. Ok bud good luck!

Sometimes the manual is really loving useful??? :iiam:

I have learned plenty about an appliance just from reading the material.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

I'm honestly shocked there are people who would post ITT and think wifi is enough, ever. It will never fully replace a good wire because of ^^^ all that.

Plus more in thread theme I can count the number of times an ethernet connection randomly decided not to work one hand VS the 3" binder I would need to properly log the number of times wifi went eh gently caress it for no clear reason.

I think wireless is a fine tool when used correctly. Its however still not in a place where your entire office can be on wireless when you have apps that are sensitive to packet loss or low bandwidth.

When I got here they tried to put 100% of the office on wifi with voice over IP softphones on 90% of computers. They also had wireless everything (headphones, mice, keyboards, you name it) and then wondered why wireless performance was such poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Joke's on you. If you're joining 802.11b/g to your wifi, everything else connected to that radio is also running 802.11b/g speeds.

Wait, this is still a thing in 2018? If so, I am going to use this as a scare tactic to get rid of all old wifi devices.

Lets say you have multiple shared SSID's across multiple AP's. One of which is a guest wifi ssid. Does someone running something old on the guest wifi ssid gently caress with the other devices on other SSIDs because its on the same radio?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nielsm posted:

I think "same radio" means "same transceiver hardware inside a single device". I.e. if you have an AP with a single antenna it will downgrade all N devices to G if a single G device joins, but if it has multiple antennas with separate transceivers, it could run one antenna on G and the remaining on N, even if still only on 2.4 GHz

That is still a big deal though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

:shrug: that’s the spec, though.

That wasn't what I was getting at and I wasn't saying it was a fault of the technology per say. Lets say I have AP's where I don't set the capability levels of all the old stuff. One fucker bring an old device and adds it to the guest network and then slows down things for people in their area on that radio. I have no reason not to simply restrict the old stuff and let them be SOL.

I remember this being an issue for backwards compatibility years ago but un-rightfully assumed this wasn't a real thing in new ap's.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

So. Cisco or HP for 50 access points across 3 sites connected via a private MPLS line and also DMVPN over internet tunnels? Cost isn't an issue.

If cost isn't an issue meraki.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We're being demo'd Meraki next week. Then in July we're having HP do a demo. Seeing what others experience has been.

We currently have 50 Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 and they're getting pretty ancient.

They excel at doing multi-site configurations. Its definitely not a must have, but honestly its so far better than the next best thing that its not funny.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We're a manufacturing company, so one of the requirements is better wifi around a bunch of lovely manufacturing equipment that moves all the time. All we have now is MORE APs.

Eh, I have been in your place before and I fought and fought to not rely 100% of wifi networks for those types of devices. I would rather drop conduit from the warehouse ceiling and do ethernet for most situations but I lost that battle.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wibla posted:

Fibre runs to desktop? What the gently caress?

Video editing is a hell of a thing. I have personally installed like a dozen of these setups over the years and it’s shocking how it’s basically a requirement. It’s just a better option to having so much storage local to the desktop at all times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Got assigned to finish documentation on a project I didn't work on! Apparently my co-workers who did work on the project couldn't be bothered so it got punted to me.

:tif:

Can you get me some coffee jeeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blackswordca posted:

PM: hey blackswordca we need you to write a powershell script to copy files from a single source to one of six network destinations dependent if the destination folder is empty or not then archive the file in a compressed folder.

Me: uhh I haven't done much with PowerShell, mostly use it to make AD additions or removals. Im not the best person for this.

PM: our normal guy is on vacation so your it. We need it end of day tomorrow. Each day it's not done it costs us $6000 a day in project overages. If you'll excuse me I have another meeting

Guess I'm self teaching myself some ps stuff tonight...

That is really not something you want to be rolling out yourself in that kind of deadline. Even if you were more familiar with powershell its something with real stakes that I would want to test test test test.

You are either going to put something out that is going to have issues or you are going to fail to produce. I would send an email right now with the cold hard truth to your direct leadership.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 26, 2018