Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I have something that actually kinda parallels this thread, so I thought I'd post instead of just shitposting.

I work in paper mill, in production. Paper is made by boiling trees, and then pushing this tree sludge through series of roller nips to make it as flat as possible. The paper is then dried, coated, possibly polished, and cut into customer/product specs.
Everyone probably knows how strong a piece of paper is. We run that tree sludge at like ~800 metres a minute.

We utilize pretty robust high-speed cameras to record and archive when, why, and where the paper web breaks, wraps itself around a hot steam roller, possibly causes a fire, and causes a production stoppage that's cost is calculated in ten thousands of euros a hour.
At the most recent web break event one of the operators wrote, paraphrased, into diary:

"Web break at drying section, would tell you the reason, but all our cameras are saying RESUBSCRIBE. Forced to do a full system was just incase. Estimated downtime 6 hours."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Jaded Burnout posted:

Resubscribe like reconnect or resubscribe like "your subscription has expired"?

Wouldn't actually know, since the system doesn't tell us.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Samizdata posted:

CC: CEO, CIO, CTO, CFO

See? This is why we need to get rid of our IT. We can overseas it, save money, AND they will know they are a service position to the rest of the company. Let's see if we can turn this into a profit center, instead of an unnecessary drain on the yearly books. I feel we could really synergize our partnership with an overseas helpdesk AND monetize that paradigm shift! Please, do the needful!

Dont make me pull out the email signature again.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Renegret posted:

One year ago I posted this to Facebook.

That means, most likely, one year ago I posted this on this thread too

https://i.imgur.com/89RMkVf.gifv

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

https://youtu.be/kSCVahyh3Dk

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
I'm the 0ms latency. Thats a bold claim.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Clearly, the solution here is to propose a new assistant position for the :mad: so that they can have a person read out any and all written messages.. because they can't loving read.

"I'm sorry, the :mad: is busy, they are getting a 400 page VOIP proposal sang to them by a castrato choir"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Thanks Ants posted:

Never heard it

Its an Albany expression

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

..It doesn't concern you No.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Kurieg posted:

Minnesota has Fertile, Climax, and Moorhead all within a hundred miles.

Those do sound like places Finnish settlers would name places.

- written from "Whistling oval office swamp", Finland

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
At my place we have officially named the auditoriums and meetings rooms according to old mill buildings. Such as "Hollander", "Bleaching", and "Tampella".

What people call them instead is "PMx Office large meeting room", PMx Office Small meeting room" "Aquarium" (has glass walls), etc etc

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Nice.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Dunno, it sounds like your dad possibly worked for IRA, or other similar organization, which would make it workplace appropriate

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

angry armadillo posted:

Right, time to moo've on

Thats udder bull-ox.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Shugojin posted:

69C would be a relatively cool sauna I guess

It would be a cold sauna that would only make you feel worse.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
I sorta have to do shadow-IT-like stuff at work because its not worth it to have our MSP come fix printer in the middle of the night during weekend and its affecting production.

In my defense i document what i did
"Control room X printer failed with errors such and such, loaned parts from less-critical printer, got critical-printer fixed. MSP needs to bring a new macguffin for printer model Z with them when they come on Monday"
Or
"Scada station monitor for X broke, stole a display from unused/less critical PC. Maintenance/MSP needs to bring a new one at some point. Scada station only has Displayport"