Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If I saw what looked like a new pair of boots in the trash, I would assume that they were there for a good reason, probably involving disgusting body fluids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Ah, Excel and CSV. Sigh.

Open office handles CSVs much better. It will pop up a preview screen that lets you choose the encoding, separation character, and format for each column.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Had a demo of a VoIP deskphone today. The things run an out-of-date version of Android (6, January 2018 security patches), require people to log into their Google accounts as part of the setup process, download the actual phone application from the store, and give people free rein to install whatever apps they want, the thing is a sea of update notifications for 15 minutes after first booting.

I have no idea how you can take a telephone and gently caress it up so badly. The icing on the poo poo cake is that it also runs slowly so it’s not even a good telephone.

The vendor suggests we manage them by enrolling them in MDM (because none of the Android stuff can be provisioned by the PBX), and I was too shocked to laugh them out the room.

The punchline: your boss loved it and has already placed an order.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Weedle posted:

An email came in. Subject line: “problem fixed.” No body text. Sounds great!

Do nothing today. If anyone asks you why you aren't working, forward them that email.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone who installs cloud2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Is there any hard data about the goonsensus on AV software? I hear it in the thread a lot, but I'm not 100% convinced of it.

Also, I'm hoping that this round of the argument also gets heated enough for a round of angry custom titles to get bought. I find it hilarious how personal at least one person takes this subject.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the culture shock working with our Indian dev team was very real at the start. It took us quite a while to get them to realize, “Seriously, if you don’t think something is going to work tell us that. Also, saying the word ‘no’ is not going to set us off”. I’m not saying this is everyone, but it seems like contradicting a manager or team lead is a THING THAT IS NOT DONE. Fortunately, that team is totally comfortable with us now.

We also have some people in our Manila office my team interacts with, mostly over Slack. They always start with “Hello, Sir Proteus”, which is weird and makes me a bit uncomfortable. Constantly referring to me with an honorific is a level of subservience I’m not super cool with, but I don’t know how to address it without sounding like I’m criticizing them directly. It even shows up in emails and Incident work notes.

I think that's just a Philippines things. Several of my coworkers also say it, and they're from there.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They overclocked the network, so they had to install water cooling.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Speaking of SiP
Tickets came in...

All phones were online and registered to Asterisk. I traced all sorts of calls to all the phones at that location. Called the ring groups. Called extensions and ring groups internally and externally. Watched the calls come in and ring everything in the asterisk console. I couldn't see a problem.

I sent a coworker down there to help me figure things out while I watched the console.
He could call out just fine. I called in and he answered. I cannot find a problem.

So I told him to hang up, I will call back, and I want the receptionist to answer the phone this time.
I called and it just rang and nobody answered. WHAT THE gently caress?

So I called his cell phone.
"Dude, why didn't she answer?"
I hear her say in the background "Because the phone never rang!"
So I call it again from another phone and ask if it's ringing. Tech said yes, receptionist said no. WHAT THE gently caress? WHICH IS IT?

Turns out it was both. The phone was receiving calls, but she had set her ringer to mute. Calls would come in and the phone would EXPLODE with blinky lights, but not make a noise.

That reminds me a user who was reporting that her calls were being dropped at random. We replaced her phone, her cables, rebuilt her extension, even plugged it in to a neighboring cubicle's port. Nothing worked. So we had someone sit behind her to observe and found that the large bracelets she liked to wear were pressing buttons whenever she reached for the phone.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
"Nobody's going to still be using this piece of poo poo into the next decade".

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Dumb question, but did you try talking to her politely?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Kurieg posted:

But don't you understand? USB Devices aren't allowed!

I'm willing to bet they took it out to the parking lot and went to town with it with sledgehammers because a user did something that wasn't allowed and they needed to feel better about it.

What if it grows little robot legs and plugs itself into the CEO's laptop? Clearly taping a label to it that says "Found in server XYZ, do not use" and locking it into a desk drawer isn't good enough.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 6, 2020

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CollegeCop posted:

My Favorite: Secretary calling in for her boss, who is texting her with his issues from a meeting in another state

I hate poo poo like that. It would be so much faster and easier for them to talk directly to the helpdesk or put in a ticket, but they are too far up their own asses to do something so lowly. So instead it's a game of telephone that takes ten times longer to resolve.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Reminds me of the time I was in a waiting room before the start of an interview, and the only other person there strikes up a conversation and mentions that his good buddy is the interviewer and that he was hoping to get hired for the same position I was there for.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Remulak posted:

Aha, did you fall for it and leave, leaving him as the only applicant?

Oldest trick in the book.

Nope, although I never heard back from them. But if that dude wanted to go that hard for a short term entry level desktop support position, he probably needed it more than I did.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Users talk about their broken laptops the same way news reports talk about police shootings. "An unintentional sudden deceleration occurred, resulting in loss of hardware functionality."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

undocumented processes, no processes, I get that kind of poo poo

deliberately overlooking them, even when someone is pointing to it right there? fuuuuuuuuuuck

I bet the "problem" with the existing process is that the project manager wouldn't get the credit for it.