Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Add theirs to your spf. Ignore their request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah, or just write it off and stop worrying about it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I feel really sad for people who actually feel loyal to their employer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Holy poo poo it's a bottle

I've been trying to figure that out for a couple years now...

It's a bottle of bawls energy drink even

don't ask why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The best thing about Dayton is the airport you can use to fly to a better city.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a fun little site to see how busy the (UK) Internet is https://portal.linx.net/

4.34 Tbps? You are like little child

https://ams-ix.net/technical/statistics

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just subscribe to the nanog outages list

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

My new minion, folks...

Aww it's a keeper

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol I was looking up OC line rates because I forgot the base unit and looks like someone was having a laugh on Wikipedia:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

A phone call came in.

"We need you in classroom 13. A student just vomited on their computer."

Yup, puked dead center on their Chromebook. Didn't even try to turn their head. Hardly made a noise; teacher didn't even know until the kid walked up and said she didn't feel good. The teacher cleaned most of it off, but there was still stuff in between the keys and residue on the screen.

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it. Keyboard & track pad/palm rest were trashed, but I pulled the rest and cleaned it with anti viral cleanser. Motherboard didn't have anything on it, but the screen and the battery had an appreciable amount of liquid on them. I'll see how they work next week.

17 years working in schools, and this is the first puked-on device I've ever encountered.

lol why did you even agree to that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One of the things that really annoy me about Excel is that their formula language is different for different language versions of the software

So in English you'd do ISNUMBER and in dutch it's ISGETAL, SUM is SOM, AVERAGE is GEMIDDELDE.

It's infuriating

Thank god I don't deal with Excel on a regular basis and don't have to deal with end users.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Might be. Might not be. Either way it's my weekend and I don't have to worry about it until Monday.

I can guarantee you it's not the printer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Brexit has come early for Twitter

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

2GB?

Nice data plan, for a clown, at the circus.

Idk how it is over there but here you can get corporate plans where all the data is piled on a single heap. So the few heavy users are compensated by the majority of light users.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have 10 GB on my plan and I rarely hit half of that.

Still, not having to worry about data usage is very nice. Not having to go on sketchy hotel wifi is great.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Javid posted:

Last night (Sunday) a script was run to force reset every password in the system that hasn't been changed since some cutoff that I forget but it's a long while ago.

At least six emails warning that this was coming have been sent out over the last six months, in plain English, as well as a persistent notification banner when accessing the login page.

Of the 128,000 accounts with ancient passwords, 17,000 have changed them so far.

Gonna suck to be first line phone support in a few hours. my requests to pull a few people off minor, non-critical poo poo to back up t1 support for the duration of the initial surge have been, of course, denied, because frrrrrrrrrrt

This is why you should stagger these kinds of changes piecemeal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PremiumSupport posted:

I read somewhere that USB plugs prove the existence of more than 3 dimensions:

You try to plug it in, and it doesn't fit.
Rotate it 180 degrees, it still doesn't fit.
Rotate it 180 degrees, it magically goes into the socket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHzzy6T9to

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Virigoth posted:

The forums are unblocked at my work! I think a Goon started in IT. Bless you Goon IT person.

You're welcome but your boss is onto you this is your fair warning.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I actually enjoy the social aspect of working in an office. Crazy I know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I have the 10 hour version open on Youtube, so if people come to my desk to bother me I just crank it up and go "Sorry, on the phone with Cisco Logistics".

People will be on to you if you don't filter it through 16 layers of G.711, 723, Speex, Opus and what have you

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Word on the street (aka, from our internal security team, because guess whose corporate overlords thought Lastpass was the best choice for our internal password vaults :getin:) is that the 2015 breach loosed a bunch of salted hashes, but not anything that could unscramble them.

This depends greatly on the quality of the passwords and if someone bothers to try and crack your password specifically.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a Canon laserprinter that I bought second-hand in 2004 or so for €25. The drivers only went up to Vista 32bit so at some point I used a Linux laptop to print from it. I only got rid of it last year when the drum started to go. Never even replaced the toner.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

At least it wasn't DNS.

If it weren't for DNS, none of this would have happened. :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

I HEARD ABOUT SOME EUROPEAN COMPANY THAT HAS THEIR IT ALL IN ONE BOX, WHY ARE WE NOT DOING THIS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've had problems like this in the past with my American and British colleagues.

It's so strange when you come into a situation where you learn something and you confront your superior about it, and instead of discussing the issue, whatever it may be, you get reprimanded for confronting it so directly.

It's all about saving face. You heard it, your supervisor knows you heard it, but by NO MEANS should you ever talk about it except in the most vaguely veiled suggestions lest ye embarrass the superior for being a complete rear end.

As a Dutch person our culture is to be very direct, so I've had to deal with this a bunch of times.

The difference between US and UK btw is that they'll both get mad if confronted with something but the Brit will not respond so directly, rather they will only make subtle, veiled remarks and sabotage you behind your back.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sefal posted:

have a boss that says toedeladhoughkie regularly
Meaning; depending on context, go away. or the job is done

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I remember incredimail from 10y ago when olds used it because it had all those stupid smileys and gifs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Know your audience.

Some can appreciate an RCA that uses a light-hearted narrative style. (as long as the RCA identifies the root cause and how to avoid a similar situation in the future)

However, some will react with great wrath that you aren't taking this SERIOUS ISSUE SERIOUSLY. WHY DO WE HAVE JOKERS RUNNING OUR SYSTEMS?

Yeah and then you know who to ignore in the future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

docx et al being zip files is fun and all but did y'all know that the legacy .doc format is almost like a FAT filesystem?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Unsalted sha256 is super easy to crack, I bet I could get like 75% of those email addresses back.

Anyway, you can definitely do this in Python but for this id just use bash like

code:

while read email
do
    echo ${email^^} | sha256sum >> outputfile
done < inputfile

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Then you're just the sysadmin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nielsm posted:

:yaybutt: incoming

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sysadmin is more of a trade imo. You're the "good with computers" kid that goes to work somewhere on tier 1 support or pulling cables or whatever, that's your apprenticeship. You slowly work your way up to tier 2, then start rolling into more specialized stuff like networking, dba, scripting, Unix/Linux etc. You get a few certifications here and there and before you know it you're a Journeyman sysadmin.

They don't at all teach the necessary skills to be a sysadmin in the average college CS program. You learn how to program. You don't even learn how to program in a modern environment with things like CI/CD.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ellspurs posted:

In the early 2000s the instructor's choice of programming language for our IB Computer Science course was... Pascal.

We had to run it off a floppy disc, and we lost six months of teaching when the teacher went off sick and they couldn't find anyone else who knew how to teach it.

Ah, yes I remember using Turbo Pascal for DOS.

Later we "upgraded" to Delphi.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Oh okay according to an email that went out an hour ago the ransomware variant is "Readme."

Identified "malicious IPs" are based in Chicago, Frankfurt, Chicago again, Montreal, and Gdansk. Probably all VPN fuckery.

Rackspace, Hetzner, OVH probably. Don't know the Gdansk one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

You've never had the pleasure of sendmail configuration files, eh?

EDIT: For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure - the readme file for sendmail.cf, which is just one of a handful of files that'll need configuration, is almost 5000 lines long.
Then there are the sub-categories for features, mailer macros, per-domain configuration, ostype configuration (which helpfully mentions 4.3BSD, SunOS 1, and others), and one helpfully called 'hack' - all of these are in their own directory.
A big sendmail configuration can easily be 100k lines of config - unfortunately for me, I have intimate knowledge of it (you could almost say carnal, since I've been hosed by it).

Contrast that with delivermail (which Eric Allman wrote before sendmail), which on 4.xBSD would deliver via ftp over NCP on ARPANET and basically just required a hosts file (because nobody had thought to invent DNS yet).

Which is why you should just use postfix

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah the hsf is fine to grab onto

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mehall posted:

and most of the systems we set up use IP addressing not FQDN

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagghhh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's .lnk's all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hey they at least need to try ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /flushdns too!