Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kensei posted:

Thank you for the well detailed reply. I'm going to think about this more.

Do it. Don't waste opportunity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

And within IT it's always the network. Printer broken? Network issue. Your server down? Network issue. Network down? Network issue!

It's always DNS anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pff, just run strings and binwalk on it and give them all the half-carved files.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not a simple test per sé but I interviewed somebody once for a disk forensics position who failed to mount the image. Which is the first step.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yo patch your poo poo right the gently caress now, this windows CVE is a doozy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My workplace made the upgrade available for users to schedule themselves in the software portal or whatever, set a deadline for it and after the deadline + short grace period just automatically upgraded everyone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

My Lithuanian co-worker had to stop cursing after I explained what "cyka blyat" means to the office manager.

Narc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

English is easy to learn for the Dutch because English is the bastard child of German and French. It's funny how such an awful mess of a language became so successful. (It's because empire)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

so basically Frisian that wasn't supplanted by the Dutch

Indeed, Frisian is like old English, without the French influence.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah 2020 is a doozy. Everything is so loving grim right now and the US could not have a worse president at this time and place. It's ridiculous.

Entire World: locked the gently caress down
USA: Wheels of capital go brrrr

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

And then there's people who are dialing in with their laptop cam and mic, with their laptop on their lap, skewed out dutch angle wobbling around because they're half slumped over and constantly shifting for comfort, their kids and their dog warbling due to being barely picked up and the codec horking the sound up...

This is the way to go imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request and it shows some thought instead of MAKE COMPUTER DO THING

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gonna get this and run around the store yelling "WITNESS ME!"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Did the synchronised resignation happen?

I seriously doubt it. most people don't have the nerve for something like that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

India is going all in building thorium salt reactors over the next 10 years to solve their energy needs and move away from coal/traditional nuclear plants so a lot of that traditional waste might end up as slurry/fuel in those reactors.

That's awesome

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

From playing D&D in college, NOTHING got me to try everything I could to get into something than it being labeled like this.

Better hope you put your points in dex or con

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One of the major exports of North Korea, apart from drugs, counterfeit money and cyber crime, is sand.

They're sanctioned to hell though so there are illegal sand deals being done in the ocean where it's transfered between ships to hide it's origin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-is-making-millions-selling-sand-yes-sand/ar-BB15gxrD

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nexxai posted:

If you're locking it down to a single source IP, what's the problem? I've had to do this all the time for vendors and I'm wondering if I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Unless there hasn't been any kind of security audit being done and the paraphrasing is explicitly leaving that part out because it doesn't exist, then I understand, but just asking for a SQL server to be stood up with access granted to an IP isn't, on its own, a Bad Thing (TM).

IP whitelisting isn't at all adequate security for exposing a sensitive service to the internet, you absolutely should wrap that in a VPN or at the very least use certificate-based authentication or something similar.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

xsf421 posted:

Last I heard (May) it was well over 4TB. I don't trust our infosec team to build anything at all. They can't even look at the current logging infrastructure without it falling over. Which is fantastic, because our internal library kills the application processes if it can't contact splunk!

That's a catastrophe waiting to happen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MJP posted:

A domain-joined desktop password change came in...

(The last couple of lines are not edited or redacted, they are exactly in the email my wife received after the attempt)

RON HOWARD VOICE: the password DID get set in the directory system.

Lmfao Novell.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swype is pro-brexit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why on god's green earth are you requiring people to get analog phone service in tyool 2020?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Were gonna build a POTS network and we're gonna make our employees pay for it!

Make Analog Great Again!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

These stories are giving me anxiety and I never even had a helldesk job that lovely so it's not even from flashbacks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

As much as the assholes loving suck to deal with(I worked for xbox during the red ring of death fiasco)

"Hi my xbox is broken it has 3 red lights?"
"Yes so what you want to do is grab a couple of blankets or towels and wrap your xbox in them and turn it on for an hour or two, don't work about the melting plastic smell. Give us a call back if it doesn't work then I'll let you know what temperature you need to preheat your oven. "

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have done this:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Renegret posted:

Gigabit docsis down is absolutely a thing and I think it's only a matter of time before we get it even higher.

But it's not symmetrical and I'm not sure if it's even possible or feasible with current tech. And even if it was, the demand isn't there for the insane amount is resources it'll take to implement. Gig down and 50mbps up sounds like a rip off but the average consumer doesn't even come close to utilizing that. Even with constant zoom meetings and all the extra WFH, that hasn't changed. The problem with contention is due to the cumulative use across the entire node, but individually the average customer still doesn't really utilize it.

I don't know the dollar amount but field upgrades are loving expensive, and upstream speeds are heavily dependent on field equipment. Yeah ISPs are greedy fucks but at the end of the day I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them to skip certain upgrades if it's not worth it. If the demand is there then maybe in the future things will change.

Upload was really important when bittorrent was huge but now that streaming is ubiquitous most people don't need a lot of upload capacity.

Like at most people need to push out a 4K stream now for when they're streaming or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Agrikk posted:

The half-orc is the only playable race that can be a fighter/assassin in AD&D.

But I have no idea how saving throws work in 5E. For some reason 5E breaks my brain in places.

5e is way easier and more fun to play than any D&D. Combat wise anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Why the gently caress?

Incompetence

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Back in like 1992 or so there was Windows 3.1 and then there was 3.11 Windows for Workgroups.

I believe it used the NetBEUI protocol to do file and printer sharing between machines.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BNCenobite is real, and strong, and my friend.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Last I heard "nobody in Ireland uses DMARC so we're not going to either" which is... :smithicide:

Well you've only recently adopted post codes so maybe it is a bit early for DMARC.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DMARCRAIC

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would you care about what hours someone emailed you

Incredibly loud notification sounds on his phone that he doesn't want to turn off, nor knows how if he wanted to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lament.cfg posted:

Bob, you work in a mental hospital right?

Is this a Shutter Island situation?

All of Something Awful is an elaborate illusion for the benefit of one single person.

Yes, even the front page.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah also don't put too many icons on the desktop, that also gums up the internet

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I worked at a CERT and in that community RT-IR (RT for Incident Response) was popular like 10+ years ago so if course it was never replaced with something more sensible and they had to wrestle with keeping an ancient Perl webapp working.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I came into work yesterday to find an email naming me our new Drupal SME. I don't know poo poo about Drupal, and just quit drinking.

FML :negative:

Keep on updating that poo poo like a hawk. Make sure you know about all the plugins too and keep those up to date as well. Make sure it's firewalled to poo poo in a DMZ without any access to the rest of your network.

Goonspeed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

we are a hosting company, and do not proactively update customer sites, tho we do send out notices.

the recent exploits appear to be making sure I have plenty of practice with drush and composer!

Haha welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008