Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

I sit over the cube wall from the accountant, who has the CFOs office on the other side (we're a small company of 35 people) and every few weeks there's a "Uhh we paid X twice" or "I forgot to pay so-and-so's company card".

You have one job.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
People use the brackets? Half the IT guys here just let the thing hang in the case :v:

I mean I realize that's probably bad but I'm not the one doing it

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can anybody suggest a decent call-queue system? I'm part of a 8-man support team supporting a specific software application and when our group can't pick up the phone, it rings to a separate department who takes the caller's info and then sends an email to our group...when somebody goes to call that person back, they reply-all with "got it". This results in like 300 unnecessary emails a day. I think this is an artifact of this being a ~30 person small business.

I think they tried something web based before my time here, but I have no idea what it was or how it worked.

What we need is a system where overflow calls can go into a visible queue, people can claim them and then mark them complete (or they just get removed from the queue). Free or cheap is probably better, if it exists. We use Netsuite for CRM which is the worst but they just signed a multi year contract with Oracle for it so I don't think we're getting rid of it anytime soon. :suicide: Not really worried about metrics or assigning tickets to people from the queue.

suuma fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 28, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Maybe. I don't know if they even use NS at all.

The support side (my group) of our NS setup was neglected a bit .. I think they were more worried about getting sales/contracts into it and for the most part, what we get is what we get. "There is no more scope"

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
We have no QA and rolled out an update to a customer in Australia (we're east coast USA), so their poo poo was broken overnight and now we can't work with them to troubleshoot because we come in when they go home :v:

poo poo that works fine here doesn't work there so :iiam:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Well, it's now issues with USB peripherals that worked previously and the server they're on is hosted somewhere off in Oceanic land so I don't think it's a time issue.

vvv one of our techs was up til midnight trying to help them but we needed one of our software developers to actually fix the issue (dev has access to this hosted environment and tech support does not, yes its a bad system).

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 11, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Rudager posted:

different system date formats?

Ask me, an Australian, who has to run some servers with American date formats or certain software loving spaz's out when it rolls over to the 13 day of the month!

It ended up being a bad build of our software. It's been updated and fixed. Yay no QA :woop:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's not :yotj: but I got a raise "for my awesome work" :toot:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My son was in the NICU for a couple weeks - hang in there. Congrats. I hope everything works out.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Ah yes, the tracking pixel

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I just wish I could work four 10 hour days and have an extra day off :(

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm set up to work from home but only do it if there's like, a foot of snow on the ground. I don't really like it, but I think if I had an actual office that I could set it up in (and then shut the door when i'm not "at work") it would be way better. I also don't have an actual phone, instead using a gaming headset and some lovely VOIP software.

Some of the guys here work from home 1+ day a week and those of us that make an effort to come into the office every day judge them really hard, mostly because it's the guys that don't seem to do any actual work.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
We've got a new-ish hire that has resulted in four different "Yeah, this guy doesn't know what he's doing, please help" calls to us senior techs in the last two weeks :arghfist::saddowns:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I get "please revert in case of any issue" at least 3 times a week and I actually like it 'cause it makes me think of this thread.

Only one "do the needful" in 3 years though.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
User, 4 months ago: Hi we have these issues with your software
Me, 3 months and 3 weeks ago: Okay, I've found resolutions for your issues. Can we reconnect so I can deploy?
User, yesterday: :supaburn: Students arrive Thursday and we need these issues fixed, we told you about them in May!! :supaburn:
Me: :saddowns:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Came into work 3 hours early to help a customer in Finland and they didn't even join our meeting :argh:

e: actually they joined, but they never joined the call or shared their screen so I couldn't do anything.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

We have NetSuite too and it sucks poo poo.

We get that email from them too and I feel like it could probably include a link to reset it or at least instructions on how to do it, since you'd have to go through the "Forgot Password" link.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm having back surgery on Wednesday and I can't wait for the surprise bill in the mail in a few weeks :911:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

This is always a bad sign when you're trying to trace a wire pair:

I'm a support nerd, can somebody explain what this is?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm the lead ticket closer within our department by a significant amount (like, 40%) and my boss wants to make me some sort of supervisor, 'cause he doesn't have time to do it anymore (he deals with a lot of customer implementation type stuff, we're a small software shop/vendor). I guess that's exciting? I just wonder who's going to take all the calls I normally do, now..

Lots of "well I don't know exactly what the role would look like yet" but :yotj:, maybe?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

PBS posted:

Probably you.

Yeah you right :hf:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
USB-C is too good for this world.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

I'm rubbish at using up my annual leave (UKs name for PTO)

Most companies I'm familiar with let you have a little bit of carry over - I am allowed a max of 5 days, I cant remember a year where I didn't carry over 5 days.

This year I'm carrying 11 days because you are allowed to go over the policy if there is a reason - I was covering vacancies so because they said you can't take leave, you can carry it over - usually you are supposed to use it up in the first 2 months of the leave year, but I still had vacancies so *Shrug*

I am taking time off over Christmas because I need to use it up - due to my girlfriends work I only go home for Christmas for like 3 days so I don't actually need to.

But now I have my helpdesk guy relatively settled in I am trying to be better with it but sometimes I've just gotta be like gently caress this I'm out *mic drop* or I'll never get away...

We're allowed to carry 5 days but everybody in my department (9 guys) also have a "floating holiday" day that they can only use during the week of Christmas (because we're open Christmas eve and didn't used to be)

It's really fun trying to get 9 people their day off in that period ...

suuma fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I work from home when the weather makes driving in difficult (snow), and I kind of hate it. I think if I had an actual home office I could work from (with a hard phone instead of a poo poo VoIP app and a door I could shut) itd be better. As it is my PC at home is sort of in the living room because this place we're renting doesn't really have the space for it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I support a software application that runs on Windows Mobile devices. When you tap on the app, it launches. If you tap on the app twice, it launches and you get an error that basically says "App is already running. If you opened it twice, tap "OK" to continue, otherwise tap "Reboot" to proceed with rebooting the device to prevent multiple instances of the application from running".

You'll never guess how many people tap Reboot without reading it and then call us because their device restarted.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

stevewm posted:

Ugh.. bad memories..

About 4 years ago we finally moved away from our fleet of 40ish Symbol MC5040s. That was a great day indeed. gently caress ActiveSync.

We've got an Android app now which is slowly taking off at least :unsmith:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I have several years of networking experience and it still took me a year to run cat6 12 feet across the "computer room" for my wife's PC because :effort:. So like, 25 feet of cable around the perimeter including around door trim.

The last thing I want to do when I get home from work, especially now that we have a toddler, is more troubleshooting.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Heck yeah an after-hours text from my boss with some bad news about the likelihood a new hire will be leaving us and then another that says "please don't quit"

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"Well, I've always wanted some work from home benefits, any way we can make that happen?"

The problem with this is that I manage 9 direct reports so I have to be in the office :v:

We've outsold our staff considerably and it takes 2-3 months to get a new hire to actually be useful, I'm burning out quick and I'm not sure how we're going to do all this.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
And then there's Teams which has a built-in meme generator.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Our hosting provider of 6ish years is closing a datacenter this Sunday and I've spent the last 9 months migrating what is probably 1/3rd of our customer base to Azure or another datacenter with the same provider.

There is only one fucker left and they are insisting we let them continue using it in-place until noon Saturday.

I want to die

suuma fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 30, 2019

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

kensei posted:

Oh no they shut it off at Noon on Friday, I migrated you by 4 PM you're welcome!

If only, unfortunately their config is changing a bit because reasons and they're not deploying the updated DISM(?) application package on their side until Sunday.

I have 200 hours of overtime put into this and I'm so tired, somebody shoot me with a crossbow

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

crossbows all off, would you take an asian guy charging down the street at you with a machete instead of the crossbow then?

At this point, sure.

My dumbshit project is over and I thought I'd be happy, but I feel nothing. This is rather anticlimactic

At least they gave me a raise for this and probably as much pto as I want :unsmith:

E: I can't even take a day off lol we have two new hires starting this week and I'm middle management

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Had a good time with my ~50 users with MS Teams being down like half of the day today.

Just because desktop/web is down and it still works on my phone doesn''t mean blow me up :smith:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you aren't constantly yelling profanities while sitting in the middle of a cube farm are you even in IT

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Good morning...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
We're going through SOC and exec leadership has little interest in security or making the necessary sweeping changes in any capacity beyond bare-minimum :11tea: