Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Thanks Ants posted:

Meraki are already trying this, though from what I gather the products are poo poo and lack really basic features, as well as costing a fortune.

Guess who works for a company who has nothing but Meraki!! :(

At least I’m not the network guy, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I have a non-fake one I tried to block out but was reminded of. A manager put in a ticket:

”Manager” posted:

[Employee] is having problems searching Outlook. She does the work of two people and this needs to be fixed ASAP

I reply asking what the issue is

“Super Employee” posted:

[Normal behavior Outlook does on old messages] AND THIS JUST STARTED LAST WEEK I KNOW ITS ONLY A FEW CLICKS AND DOESNT SOUND LIKE MUCH BUT I DO SO MUCH WORK IT ADDS UP

She has an (actually) old computer and follows up asking if she can get a new pc if this doesn’t fix her issue.

Manager, immediately, without any input from me:

”Manager” posted:

[Employee] is authorized for the biggest and best new computer
(an actual quote)

Can’t wait for the “my Outlook is still broken!!!!!!!” ticket because she’s already stopped responding to my inquiries for further information regarding Outlook having heard NEW COMPUTER.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Tickets came in. One was about tablets we use for checking in vehicles and equipment. I had called and talked to the guys because they don’t respond to tickets unless they have something lovely to say. One ticket was “re-opened” because our ever wonderful manager over there decided the world was coming to an end and the tablets (which were still working) “were all down”.

The final admonition was “you need to note everything in the tickets before you close them.

Good advice you say? I would agree if the other ticket didn’t come in. Another sky-is-falling Manager giving us a ticket from September saying it still wasn’t fixed. Even though literally in the ticket the user replied that it was fixed.

When I’m the only person in the office and am just trying to keep up with the avalanche of poo poo that you just keep throwing at me, don’t bitch at me for not noting “user has non-functional brain” when that’s very obviously the problem and you don’t give a gently caress what the notes say anyway.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 6, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, I'm finding that there are several jobs located about 30 minutes away that I am either way overqualified for that don't pay nearly enough for me to survive, or they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions." The jobs that pay more than what I'm making are director and coordinator positions, but none in my field.

I don’t remember posting this but here it is

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm the dollar signs in his eyes

I’m the presidentist

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

larchesdanrew posted:

*Presidentish

That is a t sir and the presidentish will not listen to your slander. Wait. Crap.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

It surprises me how that speech somehow becomes more true the older I get.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Siochain posted:

Alright, pissing me off.

A slow creep of users having issues with Outlook search. Outlook 2013/2016, running on 0365 Hybrid. Search just suddenly quits indexing new emails. So people will start noticing say a week or two after it begins - they'll have an email from, say, yesterday, but it doesn't show up if you search for it. Its there for manual looking, but searching just fails. Its like Outlook picks a date/time, and any email after that will never be searched. And we can't seem to fix it.

The only solution that's worked so far is a full wipe/reinstall.

We tried everything under the sun related to rebuilding the search index. Tried uninstall and reinstall of office, along with blowing the email profile away first. Tried blowing away the user profile on the PC. Nothing works but a full reinstall.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so - any solutions?

I’ve run into this several times but it’s usually solved by either rebuilding the outlook profile or rebuilding the search index. We’ve had a couple users with recurring instances but I kind of wrote it off as them being poo poo at deleting anything and left it at the ultimatum of them cleaning it up or I wasn’t touching anything else. Haven’t heard back.

I think one or two came in today so I’ll take a look again with a different eye on things.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

DigitalMocking posted:

Get the gently caress out.

You know, I zoned out in the middle of this post. But when you take longer to simply explain the structure and dynamics of the situation you’re in than I have attention span, it’s probably time to :yotj:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Everywhere I go. But my bag has about 15 pounds of miscellaneous wires, connectors, and other poo poo weighing it down anyway.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I :yotj: ‘d recently and actually moved up the chain a bit. My official title is services engineer but I’m basically doing msp work. Thankfully I’m now front line for sysadmin stuff - backups, vcenter, hosted exchange and so on.

The bad thing is one of the places is a pet client who likes the cheapest thing every time. I can relate to this more than ever.

PirateDentist posted:

"What do you mean you can't install office suite on our new chromebooks? These were only $200 instead of those expensive Lenovos! THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION."

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

AlexDeGruven posted:

My neighbor's house 3 doors down took a direct hit once and it fried the WAN port on my router.

stevewm posted:

Yes it is....

We had a direct lightning strike behind one of our store locations. It exploded a tree, but it didn't actually hit the building, or any electrical infrastructure. However it still fried a bunch of stuff inside and in another building. Took out the phone system, the core network switch, 2 access switches, and a couple phones. It also took out several IP cameras and both Ubiquiti PTP wireless devices in a separate out-building (that was at least 400 ft from the strike!). The Ubiquiti equipment and IP cameras where interesting; most of the RJ45s going into the PoE switch had melted into the switch.

Always remember that most lightning jumps at least a mile of entirely non-conductive gas to hit the ground. The potential radius for (especially frail electronics) damage is quite large once it contacts any system of interconnected conductors.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The last couple years I’ve been happier with Comcast’s monopoly around here just because it means I can go most places and connect to the public WiFi to browse whatever I want with reasonable speed. And it leaves all of my data plan for use everywhere else.

But yeah 2gb is very small for a data plan these days. When I was still on a 2gb plan I had to avoid things like Twitter because scrolling through my feed could just burn through data. Which is probably what’s happening with her. Those auto load videos will kill you.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kaethela posted:

gently caress people that use Random Capitalization in their messages. I really want to reply "no, it is Not greatly Appreciated"

My favorite part is that they even seem to be unsure of whether it’s appreciated or not.